IGNORED

Diedhiou v Semenyo

Davefevs

Am I reading that all wrong is Famara's stats really shocking, he basically does nothing with the ball the whole game other than the goal ?  (people will argue about it's the scoring that matters, but surely he's not going to be first choice over Afobe if I am looking at it right - hell he shouldn't be ahead of Semenyo).

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Unfortunately Dave, I don’t understand what any of it means.............:facepalm:

At the most basic level:

blue arrows = successful passes / red = opposite 

green icons = successful things like headers, tackles won / Orange = headers, tackles lost.

yellow = goals or assists

Without going into critique:

Fam wasn’t very good with the ball, but scored a goal (personally I thought it was a good header, and certainly not bundled in as I read somewhere)

Antoine was good at retaining the ball but didn’t score.

11 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Looks to me like Semenyo could teach Diedhiou a thing or two about playing up top.

LJ big on his stats, I hope he notices the difference between these two.

So are you suggesting that Semenyo could play up top practically on his own & hold 2 centre halves off while 40 yard balls are smacked up to him at head / chest height for an hour plus?

1 minute ago, Tipps69 said:

So are you suggesting that Semenyo could play up top practically on his own & hold 2 centre halves off while 40 yard balls are smacked up to him at head / chest height for an hour plus?

No.

But what I can say with some confidence is that Semenyo is a hell of a lot better at holding the ball up and distributing it, playing with his back to goal, and having a brain in his head.

1 minute ago, BCFC Richard said:

I admit I'm surprised as this is not exactly how I saw the game. It's fascinating to see the stats and whilst they don't tell the whole story they do help to inform your opinions. 

FWIW I thought at times Fam got it under control we’ll, but then just needed that extra touch to then get a pass away and either got closed down or dispossessed.  I thought Antoine did ok.  What I want to see more from both is the ability to stretch their markers the other way, e.g. into the channels, off the shoulder.  The tendency for both is give the back to goal option, which means defenders can mark much closer without fear of being spun.

That is exactly what Afobe does, so well.

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

At the most basic level:

blue arrows = successful passes / red = opposite 

green icons = successful things like headers, tackles won / Orange = headers, tackles lost.

yellow = goals or assists

Without going into critique:

Fam wasn’t very good with the ball, but scored a goal (personally I thought it was a good header, and certainly not bundled in as I read somewhere)

Antoine was good at retaining the ball but didn’t score.

Unfortunately I find it difficult to see the pitch maps clearly enough via my iPad which obviously makes interpretation difficult! I’m sure I’d understand it more if I used a PC.

As for the summary - pretty much confirms what’s clear to us who have seen Famara play. His ball skills are not particularly sharp.

Ive not seen enough of Semenyo to comment. Hopefully he’ll feature more as the season progresses.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

FWIW I thought at times Fam got it under control we’ll, but then just needed that extra touch to then get a pass away and either got closed down or dispossessed.  I thought Antoine did ok.  What I want to see more from both is the ability to stretch their markers the other way, e.g. into the channels, off the shoulder.  The tendency for both is give the back to goal option, which means defenders can mark much closer without fear of being spun.

That is exactly what Afobe does, so well.

I think Semenyo has that in him as well.

I'd like to see him with Afobe at some point.

Fam may not have seen too much of the ball at Stoke but he scored with a very clever header and his movement and aggression scared the hell out of the Stoke defence all game. He also once again did a lot of good work in defence at set pieces which often goes unnoticed. He is a top Championship striker and very important to this squad.

1 minute ago, bcfc01 said:

I think Semenyo has that in him as well.

So has Fam, believe it or not....he scored a lot of his goals for SCO Angers running off the shoulder.

I'd like to see him with Afobe at some point.

i’m hoping Benik takes him under his wing.

Forget the stats and the pretty arrows, at Stoke young Semenyo looked like a fish out of water for most of the game. His one real chance, from a superb ball from Massengo, saw him snatch at horribly and blast over. I have no doubt that he will come good, but at present Fammy has to be above him. 

16 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Unfortunately I find it difficult to see the pitch maps clearly enough via my iPad which obviously makes interpretation difficult! I’m sure I’d understand it more if I used a PC.

As for the summary - pretty much confirms what’s clear to us who have seen Famara play. His ball skills are not particularly sharp.

Ive not seen enough of Semenyo to comment. Hopefully he’ll feature more as the season progresses.

As I'm in a generous mood, do these look better?  Personally I'm on a 12.9” IPad Pro.

CFE8C5B5-3C89-4B18-AC54-02BA542CF2C8.thumb.jpeg.28d011871b4ee90310be8f640c39993c.jpeg

6AE2A7F8-AF91-4EBF-A9AF-469E070FC702.thumb.jpeg.25a1a1deaa16d38f3ea404174f18b1b5.jpeg

@Davefevs

And for the colour blind the pink is behind the green?

Actually, despite not being able to make head nor tail out of this graphic I do appreciate the stats you do post.  Thanks for putting them together.

I'm afraid I'm with Chris Wilder as far a Diedhiou goes.  Effort alone is not enough to receive praise.   I'd like to see Semenyo get more minutes ahead of him. 

Afobe is absolute class. If we do play two up front, I reckon Semenyo, raw as he is, and Afobe would terrorise most defences in this league.   

7 minutes ago, RedSkin said:

@Davefevs

And for the colour blind the pink is behind the green?

Actually, despite not being able to make head nor tail out of this graphic I do appreciate the stats you do post.  Thanks for putting them together.

I'm afraid I'm with Chris Wilder as far a Diedhiou goes.  Effort alone is not enough to receive praise.   I'd like to see Semenyo get more minutes ahead of him. 

Afobe is absolute class. If we do play two up front, I reckon Semenyo, raw as he is, and Afobe would terrorise most defences in this league.   

Quite possibly.  Wouldn’t mind seeing Szmodics off of Afobe....wouldn’t surprise me if he filled in for Weimann on occasion.

Really like our squad.

29 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Blue good.

Red not good.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Quite possibly.  Wouldn’t mind seeing Szmodics off of Afobe....wouldn’t surprise me if he filled in for Weimann on occasion.

Really like our squad.

That'd work for me.  Szmodics must get some minutes soon.  I'm sure LJ said he was feeling guilty about not playing him as he was training so well.

Long season so we'll need everyone I'm sure.  

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

No.

But what I can say with some confidence is that Semenyo is a hell of a lot better at holding the ball up and distributing it, playing with his back to goal, and having a brain in his head.

I think the big factor is both of their games are completely different from each other. I honestly don’t see Semenyo ever being able to play as Diédhiou is being asked to play, after the first 5 minutes Semenyo would be completely downhearted & wondering what the hell he’s supposed to do for the other 85 minutes.

It isn’t as simple as let’s lump the ball 40-70 yards to a players head constantly & he’ll happily carry on trying to reel these balls in while the opposition stand there & let him try, he has to do this while being marked by one or the other or both 6ft+, 14 stone centre halves who are pushing, pulling, kicking & jumping all over him for these 50/50 balls & this is going on for the entirety of the game & he’s not allowed to run 20-30 yards for each lump upfield to then just walk around after managing to do whatever he’s done with the ball, he’s then expected to do what everyone else expects him to do & run another 30-40 yards to get his ‘lazy’ arse into the penalty area where he’s expected to fight it out with his two mates from the opposition for another 50/50 ball (at best) & if he’s not got into the penalty area he’s not doing his job!

He’s one man probably doing 3 men’s jobs when you consider the defensive work he does on top of being physically abused by the opposition for 90 minutes.

@Davefevs while your graphics look wonderful, I get confused by arrows making pictures of men’s anatomy so do you have the stats (not arrows) that show how far each player ran / runs over a game / season & how much of that is done at what would be considered a sprint? Because I’d be shocked if Diédhiou isn’t up there with the most miles on the clock, especially while carrying one or two physical defenders on his back. I’d just be interested to see figures because there are a few people that claim Diédhiou is ‘lazy’! Which I just don’t understand, maybe my work ethic is different?

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Forget the stats and the pretty arrows, at Stoke young Semenyo looked like a fish out of water for most of the game. His one real chance, from a superb ball from Massengo, saw him snatch at horribly and blast over. I have no doubt that he will come good, but at present Fammy has to be above him. 

I'd mostly agree, I thought he struggled to get in the game but to be fair the chance he had wasn't easy - he made a good run, his first touch/control on the run is actually superb,, he is actually under a bit of pressure and snatches at the shot a bit but considering the speed of everything I thought he did ok on that play. 

Archived