IGNORED

Sammie Szmodics

formerly known as ivan

After being heavily involved pre season I’m surprised he hasn’t played more of a part so far, not that it has been required thankfully, but barely gets any minutes off the bench let alone near a start. Even Semenyo gets minutes off the bench.

I know he is young but do you think he came in to be in the first 11 but then the transfers of Massengo, Nagy and Palmer happened which pushed him immediately down the pecking order?

When everyone is fully fit it’s difficult to see him even getting a place on the bench.

Potential loan deal in the offing come January perhaps?

1 minute ago, BCFC Richard said:

I think palmer coming in particularly (pure guess work) but I suspect if we hadn't got him Szmodics would have played most games. It's a long season though, no rush to get him in when things are going well. I'm sure hell be needed at some point and may even force his way in. 

LJ did say that he is showing up in training very well so I would think he'll be getting some minutes soon.

14 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

After being heavily involved pre season I’m surprised he hasn’t played more of a part so far, not that it has been required thankfully, but barely gets any minutes off the bench let alone near a start. Even Semenyo gets minutes off the bench.

I know he is young but do you think he came in to be in the first 11 but then the transfers of Massengo, Nagy and Palmer happened which pushed him immediately down the pecking order?

When everyone is fully fit it’s difficult to see him even getting a place on the bench.

Potential loan deal in the offing come January perhaps?

His time will come. Players will need to be rested. Players will be suspended and others injured. I'm sure he'll be more than ready to take his chance when it comes. All about the squad.

3 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Squad = basically two players for each role. Seems likely to be Palmer’s understudy until the latter loses form, gets injured or banned. Which will happen.

Yep, and he’s made the 18 man squad every game.....several others haven’t.

He’ll get his chance.  Palmer 4 yellow cards already.  Also wonder if he might get game time playing as a false 9, in a 5221 type formation. 

26 minutes ago, Mad Cyril said:

Surely johnson will have the foresight to drop him if he is on 4 yellows. Cant risk losing him to a suspension.

Pretty sure the yellows dont get cleared until January so that would be a long time to drop him for. Even if he does get booked again we would be better off him missing the one game through suspension than 3 1/2 months.

7 hours ago, pillred said:

Are you mad 24 is not young, even for a footballer 24 is no age, blimey how old are you 9?

We have messengo in midfield who has just turned 18, thats young. Szmodics is 6 years older and cant get off the bench,,, i really think we went for him and then the webster transfer happened which made the signing of other higher rated midfielders affordable. There doesnt seem to be much accountability for these types of transfer, and how they are to be developed into the team.

2 hours ago, Littlesh*t said:

Pretty sure the yellows dont get cleared until January so that would be a long time to drop him for. Even if he does get booked again we would be better off him missing the one game through suspension than 3 1/2 months.

to be exact it is up to 19 games you get a 1 game ban for 5 yellows, and they are not cleared as such just after 19 games you then would be looking at the next level (2 games ban for 10 yellows up to 37 games). So yes would be madness to drop Palmer for another 11/12 games to negate the chance he may miss one!

17 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

We have messengo in midfield who has just turned 18, thats young. Szmodics is 6 years older and cant get off the bench,,, i really think we went for him and then the webster transfer happened which made the signing of other higher rated midfielders affordable. There doesnt seem to be much accountability for these types of transfer, and how they are to be developed into the team.

Age is relative. Massengo is incredibly rare, it's highly unusual for a centre midfielder to regularly play at this level at 18. It's unfair to compare them really.

You only need to look at the evidence - when Eliasson joined, he barely played for the first season. Now he's one of our most important players. We are competing at a high level now, we need to ensure players are ready for the standard. It's a bit jump for SS to come from Colchester to the top of the Championship and it's only September. Give him a chance!

What I fail to understand is why Sammie is played up front in the U23s and not in his natural MF position. Presumably to give him minutes but it is not giving him the opportunity to develop his normal game. Must all be done in training but to me he has looked like a fish out of water in the games I have seen him play.

21 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

What I fail to understand is why Sammie is played up front in the U23s and not in his natural MF position. Presumably to give him minutes but it is not giving him the opportunity to develop his normal game. Must all be done in training but to me he has looked like a fish out of water in the games I have seen him play.

fish slap GIFSammie gets his revenge .

2 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

I was making the point that it is ridiculous to say that 24 is not young even for a footballer, yes messengo is younger than him but by any criterion they are both still young.

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Give him a chance!

I was gonna say give him a chance. Some of you are waaaay to harsh to judge him. Not only has he jumped up a league he has moved across the country. I believe he was at Colchester since a boy so it’s all a big adjustment. You may not see him AT ALL this season. Don’t be so quick to chuck him in the bin. We are seven games into 46......

1 hour ago, redysteadygo said:

Is midfield his natural position though?  I thought he played as what is now called a number 10 for Colchester last season, scoring 15 goals.

I’m sure he will get his chance.  Having seen him a couple of times for the U23s he looks more than an Adelukan or an Eisa to me.

22 minutes ago, pillred said:

I was making the point that it is ridiculous to say that 24 is not young even for a footballer, yes messengo is younger than him but by any criterion they are both still young.

Cant agree that its rediculous to say 24 is not young for a footballer, he should be well established at that age if hes going to make it i reckon.

6 hours ago, Mad Cyril said:

Surely johnson will have the foresight to drop him if he is on 4 yellows. Cant risk losing him to a suspension.

Surely this comment deserves inclusion in the OTIB "Hall of Fame"?   I wish i had the time to trawl through the Forum to find other classic one liners......as.it would make a great Xmas book!  It's like Deja Vu, all over again?  ??

Archived