Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

TomF

England summer cricket internationals

7 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

We might have come a long way in one day cricket but thanks to one day an T20 there is hardly a top order batsmen left not being produced that has the technique against a moving ball 

This is embarrassing

42 for 6

Really ?

Not sure where we go batting line up now tbh

And that's the problem. For all the justified criticism of them, who else is there?

Just now, Northern Red said:

And that's the problem. For all the justified criticism of them, who else is there?

You could justifiably say England have picked an opener who hasn't played test cricket before and an opener who isn't in good form this year rather than looking to players who are in form for their counties.

21 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Worth remembering too Ireland seem quite suited, on the bowling front at least to these conditions. Probably similar over there plus quite a lot have played County cricket here!

And we’re not used to these conditions? England are supposed to be one of the best countries & on home soil, no one should be more used to the conditions than us!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I can’t claim to have depth of knowledge right across county cricket these days Northern , but I don’t see one

Burns or Denly have never looked good enough but looked the obvious hopes

Mind you , the established Internationals all looked like Club players this morning !

It needs development coaches , certainly at Int level to identify players with that potential and work on technique not range hitting

But when %95 of the games riches for players lie in T20 cricket what young players is going to follow that path

Having said that , some of these on million pound central contracts should be seriously embarrassed by this shambles

Edited by BobBobSuperBob

13 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

And we’re not used to these conditions? England are supposed to be one of the best countries & on home soil, no one should be more used to the conditions than us!

Yeah true- always thought their bowlers could cause us issues though, similar conditions, Murtagh knows Lords very well too.

Not talking 55/7 issues obviously but I thought it wouldn't be so easy, Ireland perhaps underestimated as they're minnows. Shot selection for  a number of the dismissals would suggest that too.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

5 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

I've stolen this comment from the BBC updates but now we know why Porterfield wasn't bothered about not having the fifth day. Great stuff.

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Shot selection for  a number of the dismissals would suggest that too.

For me, there’s no excuses! These are professional players, that should be aware of who their opponents are & how they bowl & bat, they should you know their strengths & weaknesses! That’s what all this analysis is for isn’t it & why teams don’t just involve the 11 players that are on the pitch.

And while maybe on another day one or two may of got lucky & not edged, from a batting point of view, not one of these players can walk away from this & say they were done after being ‘unlucky’!!

This is a 4 day match, there was no rush for anyone to score runs, the weather couldn’t be better & yet little over an hour into a 4 day game, we’re 7 down!! Make that 8 down!!

If this was a one dayer we’d be embarrassed! It’s a 4 dayer & I don’t know a word for even worse than embarrassed without putting a bunch of swear words in front of it!!

Edited by Tipps69

1 minute ago, Tipps69 said:

For me, there’s no excuses! These are professional players, that should be aware of who their opponents are & how they bowl & bat, they should you know their strengths & weaknesses! That’s what all this analysis is for isn’t it & why teams don’t just involve the 11 players that are on the pitch.

And while maybe on another one or two may of got lucky & not edged, from a batting point of view, not one of these players can walk away from this & say they were done after being ‘unlucky’!!

This is a 4 day match, there was no rush for anyone to score runs, the weather couldn’t be better & yet little over an hour into a 4 day game, we’re 7 down!! Make that 8 down!!

If this was a one dayer we’d be embarrassed! It’s a 4 dayer & I don’t know a word for even worse than embarrassed without putting a bunch of swear words in front of it!!

Oh I agree, 8 down before lunch and reaching 100 is a complete nonsense of a 'performance;. If we'd lost say 2 or 3 wickets with more judicious batting- and it can happen, I wouldn't have been so surprised but this is of course a complete well yeah swearing would sum it up well.

England have lost all 10 wickets in a session three times in the last three years, having previously not done so since 1938.

20 wickets in the day?

35 minutes ago, phantom said:

Nothing short of disgraceful !!

image.png

So Denly to open with Curran and Stone at 3....

Leach with the not out, gwan lad!

That's shocking, how do you have that big a gap between keeper and first slip! Keeper dictates the size of the gap by how far he's comfortable taking a ball, that easily looked within Bairstow's reach as well.

13 minutes ago, hodge said:

That's shocking, how do you have that big a gap between keeper and first slip! Keeper dictates the size of the gap by how far he's comfortable taking a ball, that easily looked within Bairstow's reach as well.

Why Bairstow has the gloves is beyond me - Buttler better with the gloves , let alone Foakes

About time he was told to stop throwing his teddy around if he doesn’t keep and concentrate on batting properly

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Why Bairstow has the gloves is beyond me - Buttler better with the gloves , let alone Foakes

About time he was told to stop throwing his teddy around if he doesn’t keep and concentrate on batting properly

In this game I understand why he is, but the fact he just turned to watch Root have to try and dive to catch it when it passed a foot or two to his right is abysmal

Leach against the slope doesn't make sense on day one, there's practically no turn which is allowing the Irish players to sweep with confidence, bowl him from the other end, with the slope and some will probably go and create some indecision

17 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Bang on. Needs to stop mouthing off at the media and address the clear technical deficiencies in his batting. To be continually out clean bowled suggests an issue that he's either unable or unwilling to fix.

• Like 1

We should still win but this Test was never likely to be as easy as assumed.

A load of changes, a possibly complacent attitude, sandwiched between World Cup and Ashes- all plays a role.Took a quick look at Ireland's last 2 Tests, they actually performed quite well albeit in defeat to Pakistan- they also got stronger as the game went on in that one and their test v Afghanistan- perhaps they've peaked too soon. We also went out swinging the bat it'd seem in first session which can't have helped. Now a chance to make amends...

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/18025/scorecard/1127284/ireland-vs-pakistan-only-test-pak-in-ire-eng-scot-2018

Quick look at their inaugural Test match- shows/suggests that they can in certain conditions and circs make a good fist of it

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Bye then Burns !

Looks like he will be lucky to hit double figures against the Aussies

Awful technique - Not good enough at Int level

What a mess we are in with top 3

Edited by BobBobSuperBob