Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

TomF

England summer cricket internationals

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Looks as if the rain might save the embarrassment of losing to Ireland.....

Having just looked at the forecast I've stuck £10 on a draw at 40/1

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hodge said:

Nice return if you’re right!

27 minutes ago, hodge said:

I was allowed to put £12.50 on it! So I have done at the same price.

All 3 of Nasser, bumble and Atherton both saying they'd pick Vince to open the batting ditching off Burns because he's out of form, Vince is in no form what so ever! 🙄

How I'd probably go at the moment, it gets 2 spinners in the team and 3 front line seamers with Stokes as an option.

1. Sibley
  2. Ali (he's out of form down the order anyway)
  3. Roy (hopefully allows the ball to get a bit older)
  4. Root (we know he won't bat 3)
  5. Stokes
  6. Buttler
  7. Bairstow
  8. Archer/Woakes/Curran
  9. Leach
  10. Broad
  11. Anderson

43 minutes ago, hodge said:

15 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

I was allowed to put £12.50 on it! So I have done at the same price.

Sorry guys never going to happen

image.png

1 minute ago, phantom said:

image.png

Never trust a weather man (or app) 😂

Anything But an England win & I’m well up & let’s get the rubbish performance out of the way now so we can stuff the convicts & cheats 😂

1 minute ago, phantom said:

image.png

Gambling on the BBC forecast for tomorrow, BBC also has a prediction for some more rain around 4pm today

Screenshot 2019-07-26 11.54.19.png

Obviously I want England to win but I want the innings to last long enough so that Leach has the opportunity to pick up some important wickets. Although he hit 92, I'm not sure if he has done anything to secure his place in the Ashes squad. Taking 5 wickets in this innings would be enough. 

Is there really any point for Broad and Woakes to have bowled this long? We know what both of them can do, why haven't we given Curran a few overs or Leach?

Just now, Super said:

who had money on the draw?

Its still on...

I don't think the coaching staff have learnt anywhere near as much as they hoped from that match. I guess Burns did himself no favours and has probably ruled himself out of opening next week, Denly top scored in the first (albeit with a meagre 23) and was unlucky with the run-out in the second. Bairstow obviously got a pair of ducks but his pedigree will be enough to see him into the side.

In terms of the bottom half, Moeen offered little with the bat and had limited opportunity with the ball but did bowl a little tighter than Leach. I don't think the 🌰 didn't do enough with the ball to secure his position as the number one spinner when he did have a limited opportunity to bowl. He obviously had a fantastic performance with the bat but it would be fair to call it a 'freak' and I don't think it's representative of a usual day at the office. 

Woakes and Broad obviously cleaned them out today but we all know what they are capable of. Sam Curran could be one to watch out for given his strong performance with both bat (relative to the rest of the squad) and ball. He's but in good form recently and seems to like the big occasion but he may struggle to keep Woakes out of the side. We would also need to consider accommodating Archer and it's likely to be a toss-up between the three of them for a place. 

• Like 1

Some session that!

Obviously it was only Ireland and we didn't learn a lot but the turnaround will surely help with confidence a bit- but then bowling hasn't been our problem for some time.

A chance that without the Leach innings we would have lost? Felt like he held it together at times on Day 2. Looking at the game as a whole, Ireland will take a fair bit of encouragement from their first 2 days- how much of it was complacency by us. how much was Ireland over performing and how much was the toss- probably a mix of all 3.

Root not a fan of the pitch either.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/27262655/joe-root-critical-substandard-lord-pitch-avoiding-embarrassment-ireland

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

On 23/07/2019 at 14:59, Tipps69 said:

I had a look for tickets for the Ashes, going for over £200 per day!! So that isn't happening but what is happening is I'm going to take in New Zealand v England test match in New Zealand from November 21st!!

Tickets for a one-dayer in New Zealand v India were £20, so I'm hopeful of not paying over a grand to watch a full test match.

I got tickets for my eldest son and me plus coach up and back from the County Ground at Taunton for the first day at Edgbaston for £205

• Like 1

Burns hasn’t showed enough since he’s been selected. Then again I haven’t been overly impressed with Denly. Think I would plump for Malan and possibly Vince over them. 

I would also leave Woakes out of the first test and play Archer but with his second innings performance, it will be difficult. The fast bowlers will have to be rotated in this Ashes series with all the games being so close together. 

Ridiculous scheduling, they should have postponed this Ashes series.

41 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

Burns hasn’t showed enough since he’s been selected. Then again I haven’t been overly impressed with Denly. Think I would plump for Malan and possibly Vince over them. 

I would also leave Woakes out of the first test and play Archer but with his second innings performance, it will be difficult. The fast bowlers will have to be rotated in this Ashes series with all the games being so close together. 

Ridiculous scheduling, they should have postponed this Ashes series.

Think a lot will depend on whether Jimmy is fit. 

At least with the bowlers it's a case of who do you leave out, as opposed to who on earth can you pick with the batting.

I'd be tempted to leave Woakes out at Edgbaston and save him for Lords.

I have had to switch Sky Sports News off now, the constant reruns of Smith & Warner’s crocodile tears every hour is annoying the hell out of me!

Man, I hope we can get rid of them early every innings!!

On 26/07/2019 at 19:30, northsomersetred said:

I got tickets for my eldest son and me plus coach up and back from the County Ground at Taunton for the first day at Edgbaston for £205

I'm going on Thursday too, train from TM. Shame it's not next weekend, would have just gone on the Friday and stayed  over for the game at St. Andrews on the 10th. Living in Long Ashton it would have been perfect so as to miss the intrusion of the Balloon festival revellers parking across my drive.....

Really tough one to call

Both teams have great bowling attacks, both sides have very dubious batting attacks

Don't be surprised to see many short game over 2/3 days

Hopefully we will be used to the ball etc that much better that we just edge it.

But saying that unlike previous ashes tours the Aussies have a massive squad over here and have been playing here for weeks this time around

3-1 England

• Like 2

2-2, severe doubts on our batting to win over 50% of the tests, will come down to whether we can stop the Aussies winning 2 tests

2 hours ago, Super said:

One day to go. What is everyone predicting? I'm going 2-1 England.

Be surprised if we only get three results, should get five but I suppose may lose one to rain.

I think 2-2 but hoping for 3-2 England. 

It should be a great series with both sides having great bowling attacks but not so good batting line-ups. 

• Like 1

England XI: Rory Burns, Jason Roy, Joe Root, Joe Denly, Ben Stokes, Jos Buttler, Jonny Bairstow, Moeen Ali, Chris Woakes, Stuart Broad, James Anderson

14 minutes ago, Super said:

England XI: Rory Burns, Jason Roy, Joe Root, Joe Denly, Ben Stokes, Jos Buttler, Jonny Bairstow, Moeen Ali, Chris Woakes, Stuart Broad, James Anderson

Looks a weak batting line up on paper - but guess not much else about?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

Looks a weak batting line up on paper - but guess not much else about?

Yep. You can see there being a lot of pressure on Stokes Buttler and Bairstow to get us out of a mess quite often.

1 hour ago, Super said:

Yep. You can see there being a lot of pressure on Stokes Buttler and Bairstow to get us out of a mess quite often.

It’s a team gams Super.

How many times in the past did Gilchrist get the Aussies out of the shit in the past?

41 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

3-1 Aussies I fear 

The England opening two are flaky as are the Australians.

The series will be won by which ever teams bowling attack performs best and I fancy England in their own conditions.

It’ll be Broad and Anderson both with over 400 test wickets each that could be the difference.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

The England opening two are flaky as are the Australians

Warner flaky? If he's flaky I'd love to see who you count as solid

2 hours ago, hodge said:

Warner flaky? If he's flaky I'd love to see who you count as solid

The Aussies have two classy batsman - Smith and Warner. Apart from them the Aussie team is flaky. They don’t have a Gilchrist any longer.

England have the likes of Buttler and Stokes who will undoubtedly play a vital role in the series.

As I posted earlier this Ashes series will ultimately come down to the bowling attack of both teams.

• Like 1