Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

TomF

England summer cricket internationals

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

The Sky pundits are absolutely top drawer, all former England captains or head coach. The opposition former captains are invited as Ricky Ponting is  in this Ashes series. Warne, the greatest leg spinner of all also commentates and hearing the honest and balance views of these guys are a reflection on the fair nature of the game.

All these guys are font of cricket knowledge and fascinating to listen to.

It was Sky’s cricket coverage, not football coverage that convinced me to subscribe to Sky Sports all those years ago,

I agree , the whole package / coverage of cricket is sensational

Question now , is that the most remarkable Ashes Test win ever ? 

Or Headingley 81 ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The Sky pundits are absolutely top drawer, all former England captains or head coach. The opposition former captains are invited as Ricky Ponting is  in this Ashes series. Warne, the greatest leg spinner of all also commentates and hearing the honest and balance views of these guys are a reflection on the fair nature of the game.

All these guys are font of cricket knowledge and fascinating to listen to.

It was Sky’s cricket coverage, not football coverage that convinced me to subscribe to Sky Sports all those years ago,

I’m pretty sure that they are not renewing Gowers contract and Bothams which IMO will be a huge mistake. I love listening to all the pundits. Just hope they don’t replace them with poor replacements. Or my sky sports subscription will be cancelled 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The Sky pundits are absolutely top drawer, all former England captains or head coach. The opposition former captains are invited as Ricky Ponting is  in this Ashes series. Warne, the greatest leg spinner of all also commentates and hearing the honest and balance views of these guys are a reflection on the fair nature of the game.

All these guys are font of cricket knowledge and fascinating to listen to.

It was Sky’s cricket coverage, not football coverage that convinced me to subscribe to Sky Sports all those years ago,

Interesting you should say that because a lot of people say it should be on terrestrial tv to give the youth the chance to watch it,if that happened then you wouldn’t get the top notch pundits,probably end up with Clare Balding and Nick Knowles if the bbc had it 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I agree , the whole package / coverage of cricket is sensational

Question now , is that the most remarkable Ashes Test win ever ? 

Or Headingley 81 ?

Impossible to answer!

The Bothams Ashes in ‘81 was on BBC and I was working that day but spent as much time as I could watching the cricket......Bob Willis deserves as much credit as Sir Ian

Today was all about Ben Stokes so it could be argued that today was the most remarkable.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I agree , the whole package / coverage of cricket is sensational

Question now , is that the most remarkable Ashes Test win ever ? 

Or Headingley 81 ?

Got to be today IMO BBSB. To be bowled out for 67 and win a test match is unbelievable. The last time a team got bowled for under 70 and went on to win a test match was a 135 years ago . Staggering 

  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Impossible to answer!

The Bothams Ashes in ‘81 was on BBC and I was working that day but spent as much time as I could watching the cricket......Bob Willis deserves as much credit as Sir Ian

Today was all about Ben Stokes so it could be argued that today was the most remarkable.

Think you may be right 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Interesting you should say that because a lot of people say it should be on terrestrial tv to give the youth the chance to watch it,if that happened then you wouldn’t get the top notch pundits,probably end up with Clare Balding and Nick Knowles if the bbc had it 

My lad had access to Sky Sports growing up and so did most of his mates. These days I daresay Sky has more subscribers now than 15-20 years ago so the argument doesn’t hold much credibility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

My lad had access to Sky Sports growing up and so did most of his mates. These days I daresay Sky has more subscribers now than 15-20 years ago so the argument doesn’t hold much credibility.

As did I and most of my mates growing up,maybe we were the lucky ones because the subscriber figures show that more than 80% don’t

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On holiday in Spain. Was tracking the match on my phone but gave up when the 9th wicket went down. I then left my phone in the apartment while we sat by the pool watching the kids in the water.

My Mrs asked me to pop back to the apartment to get her a drink. While I was there I thought I’d have a quick look, and to my amazement we only needed 18 to win! Quickly tuned into TMS and the rest is history.

She’s still waiting for that drink.

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I agree , the whole package / coverage of cricket is sensational

Question now , is that the most remarkable Ashes Test win ever ? 

Or Headingley 81 ?

Headingley '81 was the more remarkable win/outcome, Stokes's innings the greater innings than Botham's. To do that with the bat to win a Test match puts it ahead of Botham's somewhat carefree waft/slog/knock earlier in the game. The psychological challenge for Stokes was incredible, getting over the line extraordinary. For me.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just realised that the friendly that he's been arranged for Jimmy to prove his fitness is taking place at my local club this week.

I may have to take an emergency afternoon off...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

As did I and most of my mates growing up,maybe we were the lucky ones because the subscriber figures show that more than 80% don’t

Scrap that it seems that almost a half of the country have sky nowadays according to figures 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I've admitted i certainly don't begin to grasp the game, but I did understand the enormity of the task the last pair had and the seemingly impossible task facing them.

Whether you like cricket or not if you cant respect what just happened you really cannot get the emotion of sport.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RedM said:

As I've admitted i certainly don't begin to grasp the game, but I did understand the enormity of the task the last pair had and the seemingly impossible task facing them.

Whether you like cricket or not if you cant respect what just happened you really cannot get the emotion of sport.

I played cricket once for the school. Didn’t bat didn’t ball nearly broke my thumb. Shit game no interest in playing it . But I absolutely love watching test match cricket. I can see why some people aren’t into it . This time next year you will be in the middle of the barmy army 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Just realised that the friendly that he's been arranged for Jimmy to prove his fitness is taking place at my local club this week.

I may have to take an emergency afternoon off...

Got to be  a half decent club if its been organised for there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Scrap that it seems that almost a half of the country have sky nowadays according to figures 

And another %45 on an illegal feed !

:laughcont:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm buzzing. 

At Day 4 of Old Trafford test - Friday night I was gutted that it would be meaningless. Now it is on the line again.

It should be Sir Ben now (but I bet it won't be).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hodge said:

Got to be  a half decent club if its been organised for there

Chester Boughton Hall. They've hosted Lancs 2nd XI fixtures before and had a match in the womens T20 league last weekend too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So team for the next test, what do people reckon? Imo Jason Roy needs sacking off, its just not working and our middle order is being exposed too quickly, this test showed grit is needed.

  1. Burns - Wouldn't replace both openers in one go
  2. Sibley - No I haven't watched him before but the lad is in form, sometimes that is all you need, can hardly do worse then Roy who isn't reaching double figures
  3. Root - 2nd innings showed his use there
  4. Denly - Given another life after his 50
  5. Bairstow 
  6. Stokes - Moves down 1 if he's going to bowl a lot this series for extra rest, good at batting with the tail
  7. Foakes (WK) - Bairstow needs to be allowed to just concentrate on his batting, glove work not good enough
  8. Archer
  9. Leach
  10. Anderson
  11. Broad - Can't bat for **** now
1 minute ago, Northern Red said:

Chester Boughton Hall. They've hosted Lancs 2nd XI fixtures before and had a match in the womens T20 league last weekend too.

I played a uni cricket game there  a few years ago, lovely ground and one of the best I've played on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

I'm buzzing. 

At Day 4 of Old Trafford test - Friday night I was gutted that it would be meaningless. Now it is on the line again.

It should be Sir Ben now (but I bet it won't be).

I'm there on day 1. Like you I wasn't looking forward to it a couple of days ago but can't wait now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, hodge said:

I played a uni cricket game there  a few years ago, lovely ground and one of the best I've played on

It is. Lancs really like the ground and reckon it has the best wicket of any of the club grounds that they use in the region, but unfortunately the outfield isn't big enough to host a first class game.

Edited by Northern Red

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Maybe not the easiest form of sport to get hooked into but the more you understand the more you enjoy it

The cricket pundits are IMHO absolutely fascinating and taken the enjoyment of cricket to another level again - I’m surprised their explanations and punditry hasn’t attracted more into Test cricket 

Probably in large part because it's hidden behind the Sky paywall.

Edit: just seen some of the other comments, fair enough.

Edited by MichaelRobartes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Probably in large part because it's hidden behind the Sky paywall.

More about schools & sport, or lack of it  for me Michael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

More about schools & sport, or lack of it  for me Michael

Good piece earlier before the days play, apparently rounders has been removed as a sport you can be assessed on for GCSE PE, so a lot of schools for girls summer sport have switched to cricket.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has to be a watershed moment for our batting, they've shown they can do it but one man's heroics can't cover up what was another dismal effort with the bat. We cannot afford another 67 all out session in this series, something needs to change and Stokes' innings might be the catalyst.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hodge said:

So team for the next test, what do people reckon? Imo Jason Roy needs sacking off, its just not working and our middle order is being exposed too quickly, this test showed grit is needed.

  1. Burns - Wouldn't replace both openers in one go
  2. Sibley - No I haven't watched him before but the lad is in form, sometimes that is all you need, can hardly do worse then Roy who isn't reaching double figures
  3. Root - 2nd innings showed his use there
  4. Denly - Given another life after his 50
  5. Bairstow 
  6. Stokes - Moves down 1 if he's going to bowl a lot this series for extra rest, good at batting with the tail
  7. Foakes (WK) - Bairstow needs to be allowed to just concentrate on his batting, glove work not good enough
  8. Archer
  9. Leach
  10. Anderson
  11. Broad - Can't bat for **** now

I played a uni cricket game there  a few years ago, lovely ground and one of the best I've played on

I`m afraid I`ve got to agree with dropping Jos. He`s woefully out of form. I take it Jimmy`s in for Chris Woakes? A bit harsh  but what else can you do I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I`m afraid I`ve got to agree with dropping Jos. He`s woefully out of form. I take it Jimmy`s in for Chris Woakes? A bit harsh  but what else can you do I guess.

Yeah Jimmy for Woakes providing he's fit. Broad has Warner on the racks so far so that itself is invaluable, Archer unless we think he will break down is undroppable so it leaves Woakes for Anderson to come back.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ben Stokes - You simply can't heap enough praise on this guy. As someone who's support for Cricket (Gloucestershire & England) waxes and wanes with the level of success of my sides (yes, I'm an armchair fan), you want and need characters and players like Ben Stokes to reinvigorate interest in the game and inspire the next Botham, or, dare I say, Stokes to head to the crease at their local junior club.

I hope he has a long and illustrious career, and receives all the plaudits and awards he has deserved for an inspired summer of cricketing wizardry.

Also, MBargos should give him a lifetime membership. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, screech said:

I'm here to tell you test cricket is the most boring sport in the world.

The vast majority of it is five days of yawn. Sorry everyone but, as exciting as this is today, 90% of games are utter bore fests. 

I bet you're a bundle of laughs at a party🙄

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Impossible to answer!

The Bothams Ashes in ‘81 was on BBC and I was working that day but spent as much time as I could watching the cricket......Bob Willis deserves as much credit as Sir Ian

Today was all about Ben Stokes so it could be argued that today was the most remarkable.

I think you completely underestimate the importance of Jack Leach staying with Ben Stokes during that last wicket partnership. He might have only scored one but effectively he tied the Test match and allowed Ben Stokes to go for the winning boundary. He didn't give a chance and put some of the more experienced batsmen to shame with blocking and leaving. Might only have survived 17 balls but Ben had enough confidence in him to do so.....the Aussies should be looking at the fumble by Lyon to complete a run out and the wasted review on Leach which would've seen Ben Stokes out on review for LBW. Sublime innings by Ben Stokes but let's not forget Jack Leach, who allowed him to complete the job. And after that woeful shot in the 1st innings, redemption for Ben Stokes....

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As for Stokes, you take away the fella - the part of him - that piled in on the triangle up Park Street and you are left with a mere mortal that crumbles before getting over the line, probably for a very heroic and honourable 86 or something, a very heroic English failure.

Stokes is a "psycho," a bit more of a one than you and I, how else could you manage to do what he has done today?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TBF to Sky they were giving him immense credit. Obviously all us loyal and true Somerset fans were willing him on as well!

He should have been playing for England years ago but it`s only little old Somerset and we doctor our pitches to suit him - it must be true, Angus Fraser said so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What an amazing day, I was fishing, the fishing was pretty poor, but listening to TMS certainly made up for it, not got any fingernails left, Stokes orchestrated that match like a master.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hodge said:

So team for the next test, what do people reckon? Imo Jason Roy needs sacking off, its just not working and our middle order is being exposed too quickly, this test showed grit is needed.

  1. Burns - Wouldn't replace both openers in one go
  2. Sibley - No I haven't watched him before but the lad is in form, sometimes that is all you need, can hardly do worse then Roy who isn't reaching double figures
  3. Root - 2nd innings showed his use there
  4. Denly - Given another life after his 50
  5. Bairstow 
  6. Stokes - Moves down 1 if he's going to bowl a lot this series for extra rest, good at batting with the tail
  7. Foakes (WK) - Bairstow needs to be allowed to just concentrate on his batting, glove work not good enough
  8. Archer
  9. Leach
  10. Anderson
  11. Broad - Can't bat for **** now

I played a uni cricket game there  a few years ago, lovely ground and one of the best I've played on

Buttler’s test record doesn’t indicate he’s likely to turn into a test player, plus an out and out batsman at 7 is a luxury we can’t afford. Might swap Root and Denly, as think Root prefers a bit more of the shine off and better to sacrifice a lesser player. Roy isn’t an opening batsman in first class cricket so can’t see him hanging on, but might be feasible at 5 (which would mean persisting with Bairstow as WK and think you’re right re him batting and Foakes keeping; and arguably Pope above Roy in pecking order anyway). 7 down is quite a long tail, but probably more stickability than a lot of the batting options available. Basically I agree with you!

One other thought: if we can’t find batsman who can score runs, we might as well give Woakes/Curran a spot and try and bowl teams out more quickly. Little point having players in for the sake of it.

Prefer your selection overall, but an alternative, with batting bolstered a bit (albeit lacking proven performers 1 to 3), could be:

1. Burns

2. Sibley

3. Denly

4. Root

5. Pope or Roy

6. Stokes

7. Bairstow (WK)

8. Archer

9. Leach

10. Broad

11. Anderson

Looking at it, think this shows how light we are in terms of batting talent, as don’t think we’d lose many runs if we got rid of an out and out batsman and replaced with either Foakes as per your team, or Woakes/Curran.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

I think you completely underestimate the importance of Jack Leach staying with Ben Stokes during that last wicket partnership. He might have only scored one but effectively he tied the Test match and allowed Ben Stokes to go for the winning boundary. He didn't give a chance and put some of the more experienced batsmen to shame with blocking and leaving. Might only have survived 17 balls but Ben had enough confidence in him to do so.....the Aussies should be looking at the fumble by Lyon to complete a run out and the wasted review on Leach which would've seen Ben Stokes out on review for LBW. Sublime innings by Ben Stokes but let's not forget Jack Leach, who allowed him to complete the job. And after that woeful shot in the 1st innings, redemption for Ben Stokes....

Woah!    

Why would I overlook Jack Leach? 

Just like everyone else I fully appreciate his role in Stokes magnificent innings. In fact Jack was mentioned many times post match, including the post match interviews.

I don’t know if you were around in 1981 when Botham scored a wonderful 149 supported by Graham Dilley and Bob Willis took 8-43 to win the match but it’s still called Bothams Ashes despite Willis bowling 8 of the Aussies out to win the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sticking Jack Leach into Twitter almost had me welling up. Stokes is a true legend but what an hero Leach is. 1 not out from however many balls, defensive shots, ducking under bouncers, shaking with the pressure,  the fact that he never once sought to take the glory seems to sum him up and was one of the reasons we won.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Woah!    

Why would I overlook Jack Leach? 

Just like everyone else I fully appreciate his role in Stokes magnificent innings. In fact Jack was mentioned many times post match, including the post match interviews.

I don’t know if you were around in 1981 when Botham scored a wonderful 149 supported by Graham Dilley and Bob Willis took 8-43 to win the match but it’s still called Bothams Ashes despite Willis bowling 8 of the Aussies out to win the game.

'Today was all about Ben Stokes'.....

I was v much around in '81 being a humble 11yr old, watching it all on tv. One of the reasons why i then played cricket at school, Botham became a hero, not just for his herorics with the bat but more with the ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been down the pub all day outside watching this. Absolutely amazing. What a day of entertainment ! Totally shitfaced and sunburned but that’s something never to forget. Ben Stokes - what an utter star - considering the shit he put himself in. Top lad. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Sticking Jack Leach into Twitter almost had me welling up. Stokes is a true legend but what an hero Leach is. 1 not out from however many balls, defensive shots, ducking under bouncers, shaking with the pressure,  the fact that he never once sought to take the glory seems to sum him up and was one of the reasons we won.

 

Paid his £10 subs to play for Taunton Deane a couple of days after his Ireland heroics ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As good as Stokes innings was today it can't be used to paper over the cracks in our top order, think we need to go something like:

1. Burns

2. Sibley - Not seen him play but his stats in FC are good and he is leading runscorer in the county championship.

3. Root

4. Pope - Harsh on Denly given his important 50 yesterday but he is not the long-term answer, Pope also averaging close to 60 in FC cricket.

5. Sir Ben

6. Bairstow

7. Buttler - Last chance saloon, wouldn't be dissapointed if Woakes is preffered as his batting average isn't too dissimilar to Buttlers and he will provide another bowling option.

8. Archer

9. Broad

10. Leach

11. Anderson

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...