Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

TomF

England summer cricket internationals

16 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

What a shame Gower and Botham going. Quality commentators and obviously fantastic knowledge. 

Yep, that was a bit sad at the end. I think DG was starting to well up a bit so they hurriedly went pitchside.

I expect he was like me though and just got something in his eye at an inconvenient moment.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

What a shame Gower and Botham going. Quality commentators and obviously fantastic knowledge. 

All the pundits are former pro cricketers with a deep knowledge of the game not just Gower and Botham and tbh I won’t miss either of them. Neither are charismatic in the ilk of Holding, Bumble, Atherton or Bob Willis and I guess that’s what Sky aren’t renewing their contracts.

Anyone know who Sky have lined up to replace them? Personally I’d love to see Tres as one replacement.

1 minute ago, cidercity1987 said:

2-2 and would have won the other but for rain. Not too bad in the end really.

I regard it as the same as losing on penalties.

One thing I will say though is thank **** Warner played like a **** throughout the series. If he`d been on form, who knows what would have happened?

1 minute ago, Red Right Hand said:

I regard it as the same as losing on penalties.

One thing I will say though is thank **** Warner played like a **** throughout the series. If he`d been on form, who knows what would have happened?

If Smith and Warner’s ban was as long as originally given we could easily have won the series 4-0 maybe even 5-0 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Robbored said:

All the pundits are former pro cricketers with a deep knowledge of the game not just Gower and Botham and tbh I won’t miss either of them. Neither are charismatic in the ilk of Holding, Bumble, Atherton or Bob Willis and I guess that’s what Sky aren’t renewing their contracts.

Anyone know who Sky have lined up to replace them? Personally I’d love to see Tres as one replacement.

Think Gower will be difficult to replace moreso than Botham.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Think Gower will be difficult to replace moreso than Botham.

I agree.Gower is more polished for sure and has acted as anchorman. No one could see Botham doing that.

I’d imagine Tres will be a shoe in but personally I’d love them to promote some of the B team - in particular Rob Key who I think is one of the best Sky have 

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

I think Sir Ian cooked his goose a bit when (I think) he didn`t want to be involved in covering T20 as he didn`t like the format.

Mikey is very scathing of T20. He makes his view on the format abundantly clear!

56 minutes ago, TomF said:

I’d imagine Tres will be a shoe in but personally I’d love them to promote some of the B team - in particular Rob Key who I think is one of the best Sky have 

Yep, Key has a very easy going manner and is very much “one of the boys’. He had Tres have worked on T20 coverage and bounce if each other really well.

20 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Yep, Key has a very easy going manner and is very much “one of the boys’. He had Tres have worked on T20 coverage and bounce if each other really well.

I like Key but not Nick bloody Knight!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Super said:

I like Key but not Nick bloody Knight!

Yeah not Knight.  Also would be nice to see Butcher a bit more. I wonder if Strauss might come back tho. 

Also seems odd that Bumble has only done a couple of the tests and not the WC either 🤷‍♂️

39 minutes ago, TomF said:

Yeah not Knight.  Also would be nice to see Butcher a bit more. I wonder if Strauss might come back tho. 

Also seems odd that Bumble has only done a couple of the tests and not the WC either 🤷‍♂️

Strauss has just taken another job with the ECB.

Think Bumble is being slowly phased out from Tests, wouldn't surprise me if he's soon just used on limited overs stuff and maybe the Test at OT.

After all of the animosity and sledging over the past couple of months, this is an excellent image:

E60F48BA-2DC3-4697-81EE-183E15097FF5.thumb.jpeg.cd050542c49e0ba7f7d9c580f3bd73b7.jpeg

Edited by Coppello
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, TomF said:

Also. This is why I love test cricket: 

What an incredible stat - never in history of Test cricket.......jeez.......that’s amazing!

Edited by Robbored

3 hours ago, Coppello said:

After all of the animosity and sledging over the past couple of months, this is an excellent image:

E60F48BA-2DC3-4697-81EE-183E15097FF5.thumb.jpeg.cd050542c49e0ba7f7d9c580f3bd73b7.jpeg

Guy putting in the hard yards after work with the Aussie Blonde!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Coppello said:

If they weren’t playing professionally they’d all be playing the game they love at the clubs most of them played at as juniors...and a few after game scoops with the opposition was always the highlight of the day for most of us.

5 hours ago, Coppello said:

Warner still got his hands in his pockets I see.

3 hours ago, phantom said:

This is the story associated to the statement

Better approach is to not post any links to the shit-rag that is The Sun. They don't deserve any web traffic from us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Sun has run a huge front page story about a tragic event concerning Ben Stokes' family from thirty years ago.If you haven't seen it and want to,it is on BBC News website.Please dont use The  Sun website to view it.How can The Sun justify dragging this up and how much longer will the press be allowed to hide behind their freedom of speech get out clause?Absolute disgrace.

56 minutes ago, Slacker said:

The Sun has run a huge front page story about a tragic event concerning Ben Stokes' family from thirty years ago.If you haven't seen it and want to,it is on BBC News website.Please dont use The  Sun website to view it.How can The Sun justify dragging this up and how much longer will the press be allowed to hide behind their freedom of speech get out clause?Absolute disgrace.

I wouldn`t even wipe my arse with it. 

I`ve just been reading Ben`s comments and he is clearly upset and very angry and so he should be.

The shitrag has severely underestimated the reaction to this, the whole country now despises it rather than just Liverpool. With a bit of luck they`ll go bust as a result.

• Like 1

I never look at the scummy rag, but on the radio, they said whilst they were publishing something of no public interest on the front page and upsetting one of the country's top sportsmen and, I would imagine, nearly all sports fans. R 5 said they had a decent article/interview by one of their sports journalists in the back pages.  I would assume their sports hacks will be mightily pissed off, as surely that's the last interview with him they'll get and I hope the rest of his team mates stand in solidarity with him.

Vile rag, should have been shut down with the NoTW.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I never look at the scummy rag, but on the radio, they said whilst they were publishing something of no public interest on the front page and upsetting one of the country's top sportsmen and, I would imagine, nearly all sports fans. R 5 said they had a decent article/interview by one of their sports journalists in the back pages.  I would assume their sports hacks will be mightily pissed off, as surely that's the last interview with him they'll get and I hope the rest of his team mates stand in solidarity with him.

Vile rag, should have been shut down with the NoTW.

They are.

A friend of mine works on their sports desk and the general reaction is both disgust at the story, and anger that it'll cause their department a huge problem going forward in terms of access to the team.

It's not the first time that the front pages have dropped the sports dept in It, however the reaction to this one means that it's not getting sorted easily.

8 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Interesting that the BBC are choosing not to repeat the details of the story, either during news bulletins or on it's website.

Because there is no need?  It’s scraping the barrel journalism, the sort of shit that these rags are now publishing on the web as clickbait.  I would question what the editor thought he was achieving by rubber stamping this front page.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I would like to chat to anyone who still buys the paper or visits their website as to why they do so. It’s truly awful 

It probably has loads of content about Love Island...

They are absolute scum.  Hopefully this will make people stop buying it, but I fear their sales will not take too much of a drop.

28 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

They are absolute scum.  Hopefully this will make people stop buying it, but I fear their sales will not take too much of a drop.

Unfortunately what they sell in physical copies is irrelevant these days. They, just like the Mail and Express, thrive on their web presence and sharing through social media. No doubt the sun probably got MORE traffic yesterday by creating that shitshow 

11 minutes ago, TomF said:

Unfortunately what they sell in physical copies is irrelevant these days. They, just like the Mail and Express, thrive on their web presence and sharing through social media. No doubt the sun probably got MORE traffic yesterday by creating that shitshow 

That’s true to an extent, but The Sun is still the biggest of the paid for newspapers. Around 1.4million sales per day and only just behind the free Metro newspaper in terms of circulation.

Web presence is important now and is their future, but their physical sales haven’t yet become irrelevant.

4 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

That’s true to an extent, but The Sun is still the biggest of the paid for newspapers. Around 1.4million sales per day and only just behind the free Metro newspaper in terms of circulation.

Web presence is important now and is their future, but their physical sales haven’t yet become irrelevant.

It’s difficult to acknowledge that the daily mail site is one of the best structured websites in world. It’s an absolute monster. They sent the benchmark that the rest of the worlds media are trying to follow.  Shame the content is a complete vile bile fest 

4 minutes ago, TomF said:

It’s difficult to acknowledge that the daily mail site is one of the best structured websites in world. It’s an absolute monster. They sent the benchmark that the rest of the worlds media are trying to follow.  Shame the content is a complete vile bile fest 

Yeah it is astonishing just how popular the Mail's website is.  It seems to be mostly clickbait, celebrity bikini shots and xenophobia - I guess that's what people want.

1 hour ago, BS2 Red said:

Yeah it is astonishing just how popular the Mail's website is.  It seems to be mostly clickbait, celebrity bikini shots and xenophobia - I guess that's what people want.

This is just as bad:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49739345

The only way this will change is if sports clubs and so forth refuse to let the press into they’re grounds etc.  

30 minutes ago, TomF said:

This is just as bad:

The only way this will change is if sports clubs and so forth refuse to let the press into they’re grounds etc.  

Just read that and his comment below was very interesting in light of the Sun's defence of the Stokes story:

"When they do it they'll somehow find justification for doing it. They'll say it's ok, a family member told us something"

The Sun:

"The Sun has the utmost sympathy for Ben Stokes and his mother but it is only right to point out the story was told with the co-operation of a family member who supplied details, provided photographs and posed for pictures."

Don't see how a barely related 'family' member getting cash for the story makes it ok, they know this of course. The Sun has the utmost sympathy but something something - why print the story then? How is that justification?

They also say that they contacted him prior to publication and he didn't object, which I'm sure is a clever positioning of what actually happened.

47 minutes ago, TomF said:

This is just as bad:

After the phone hacking scandal, I was hoping the gutter press would either be regulated properly or at least self regulate to stop this sort of crap.

But they haven't changed at all.  Utter scum.

2 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

After the phone hacking scandal, I was hoping the gutter press would either be regulated properly or at least self regulate to stop this sort of crap.

But they haven't changed at all.  Utter scum.

Apparently the reporter told Thomas’ parents. Absolute scum. 

We all know the press won’t change while the current Government are in power but that’s another debate