IGNORED

Fernando Ricksen

underhanded

I believe posts have been made before about Fernando Ricksen's heartbreaking situation, yet I hadn't realised quite how advanced his condition was. 

A small, inspiring video from the man himself below:

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-06-14/dont-give-up-terminally-ill-ex-rangers-player-fernando-ricksen-speaks-about-debilitating-motor-neurone-disease/

Heartbreaking it certainly is, my heart goes out to his family.

In Oz we have a well know ex player/coach suffering the same, at this stage his illness is not as advanced but obviously taking it's toll on him now.

If you have time please look at the following links, such a brave man determined to try & fund a cure with his big freeze ice bath dunking each year. The 1st link is a recent speech to players of his beloved AFL team Melbourne.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D8H_aAmL-1NI&ved=2ahUKEwj--IqzgeriAhXEEHIKHQ6UB6kQwqsBMAR6BAgEEBA&usg=AOvVaw2XOoo_uS9LqdULwZ_CqQOe

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/big-freeze-5-celebrities-take-icy-plunge-for-neale-danihers-fightmnd-fundraiser-at-mcg-blockbuster-c-157804&ved=2ahUKEwiv7MLwgeriAhULX30KHV66BdMQ0PADMAJ6BAgHEAo&usg=AOvVaw0-wIefdQOi7LB-V9k7d6mx

What legend :pray: 

• Admin

RANGERS is deeply saddened to announce that former player Fernando Ricksen passed away this morning following his battle with motor neurone disease.

Fernando spent six trophy-laden seasons at Ibrox having initially joined a number of other Dutch players under manager Dick Advocaat in the summer of 2000.

Signing from AZ Alkmaar, he endured a difficult start to life in Glasgow, but in typical Fernando fashion, he worked hard in the face of adversity to become a mainstay in the side when Alex McLeish took over as manager in December 2001.

He played in both the League Cup and Scottish Cup finals of that season, as Gers defeated Ayr United and Celtic respectively to claim a cup double.

The following season, he was an outstanding performer as the Light Blues went one better to win the domestic treble with Ricksen again playing in both cup finals.

Season 2003/04 was a disappointment for everyone at Rangers, but season 2004/05 was to be another memorable campaign, with Fernando named captain of the side in January 2005 following an injury to Stefan Klos.

He was truly wonderful in that campaign, particularly after being handed the armband, and began adding goals to his game, claiming a total of nine in that season, while he was named as Rangers’ Player of the Year and joint-SPFA Player of the Year with John Hartson.

In a crucial game at Hearts in the title run-in, he remained calm under intense pressure to net a 94th-minute winner from the penalty spot to keep Gers in the hunt for the big prize.

He also scored a terrific free-kick against Motherwell in a 5-1 League Cup final win as he lifted his first trophy as captain, but the main event of the season was still to come.

Trailing Celtic by two points going into the final game of the season, a defeat for Martin O’Neill’s side at Motherwell coupled with a win for Gers at Hibs meant McLeish’s men sensationally claimed the title – with Fernando being the man to lift the trophy on one of the most iconic days in the club’s history.

Fernando left for Zenit and, in a twist of fate, was an unused substitute for them against Rangers in the 2008 UEFA Cup Final.

He left Zenit in 2009 and wound down his career at his first club, Fortuna Sittard until his retirement.

In October 2013, he revealed he was suffering from motor neuron disease, and since then, has fought a terrific battle against the condition, raising awareness and funds for the Fernando Ricksen Foundation which aims to help others suffering from the illness.

A benefit match was held at Ibrox in January 2015, and attracted over 41,000 fans to Ibrox. It raised £320,000 with the proceeds split between Fernando, his daughter Isabella, MND Scotland and the Rangers Charity Foundation.

A member of the Rangers Hall of Fame, he also won 12 caps for his native Holland.

The thoughts of everyone at Rangers is today with his wife Veronika, his daughter Isabella and all his family and friends.

It's got to be one of the worst ways to go, and the mere idea of it absolutely terrifies me - to be fully active in your mind, only for your body to slowly stop working as your friends and family look on.

Ricksen is an absolute warrior both on the pitch and off, and I really hope that Rangers give him the send-off he deserves in their next game.

Hands across the divide.

"EVERYONE at Celtic Park was saddened by the news that former Rangers player, Fernando Ricksen has sadly passed away.

Peter Lawwell, Celtic Chief Executive said:“Everyone at Celtic would like to extend their most sincere and heartfelt sympathies and condolences to the family of Fernando Ricksen following today’s news that he has passed away.

“Fernando was part of Scottish Football for a number of years and for him to be taken so young is a huge tragedy.

“He fought this terrible condition with such courage and we should all admire and respect the inspirational way in which he tackled the challenge which he faced.

“He showed immense bravery throughout. Our thoughts and prayers of course are with Fernando’s family and friends at such a difficult time.”

On 18/09/2019 at 12:08, EnderMB said:

It's got to be one of the worst ways to go, and the mere idea of it absolutely terrifies me - to be fully active in your mind, only for your body to slowly stop working as your friends and family look on.

One Bristol lad I knew of took the one-way ticket to Dignitas option because of MND - and who could blame him.

Held his own wake before taking the flight out.

6 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

One Bristol lad I knew of took the one-way ticket to Dignitas option because of MND - and who could blame him.

Held his own wake before taking the flight out.

That takes some guts. I don`t honestly know what I`d do in similar circumstances - probably hold out in the forlorn hope of some sort of miracle cure. I don`t think I`d have the stones to do what your mate did though.

16 minutes ago, phantom said:

Celtic have announced they are going to hold a minutes applause before their game this weekend 

What a powerful statement that could be

Very good to see Neil Lennon and the Celtic CEO lay a wreath at Ibrox today too

Just sometimes those two clubs give you a glimmer of hope for an end to childish sectarianism in Scotland.

28 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Just sometimes those two clubs give you a glimmer of hope for an end to childish sectarianism in Scotland.

While both clubs could do more and both obviously play a pretty substantial part, you only need to look at the recent troubles in Glasgow to see how deep rooted an issue this is. 

Not saying it's the case with yourself at all, but there are so many that believe sectarianism in Scotland begins and ends with Celtic and Rangers. It's still a huge societal issue and one I'm sure we all hope can stop at some point in the future.

15 minutes ago, ballwinningcentrehalf said:

While both clubs could do more and both obviously play a pretty substantial part, you only need to look at the recent troubles in Glasgow to see how deep rooted an issue this is. 

Not saying it's the case with yourself at all, but there are so many that believe sectarianism in Scotland begins and ends with Celtic and Rangers. It's still a huge societal issue and one I'm sure we all hope can stop at some point in the future.

Absolutely not. I have family up there, but I do think that major organisations like Celtic and Rangers have a colossal part to play in dealing with it as much as possible.

Archived