IGNORED

Afobe Out For Season (confirmed)

Sturman 1

3 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

I'm not usually the knee jerk reaction type, but does anybody else feel that this has killed our promotion hopes?

I think i'm usually quite balanced, but in this instance - quite possibly. I think in Diedhiou, Weimann and Semenyo we have some solid options, but Afobe was easily the best striker and a natural goalscorer. 

In Afobe we had a genuine top end Championship striker. When fit, firing and happy he's a 15-20 goal a season guy. They're not easy to find. 

7 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

It certainly a kick in the bollocks . But no we have a couple of international breaks and we’re out the league cup . So hopefully Fam and co can step up.  But must get a striker in January of the same quality or better. 

I hope you're right, but the thought of Fam upfront on his own, particularly at home fills me with dread.

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Weimann up front with the right setup and support in and around him I think could show a new level to his play.

Thinking about our first team and this wretched run of injuries, I'd have said prior to the BA news that the single most important attacking player we need on the pitch is Weimann. He's definitely got goals in him but it's his overall play and constant threat , constant running that makes him key.

It's truly awful news for the player, club and us fans, a big set back but definitely not the end of our season. 

8 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

I'm not usually the knee jerk reaction type, but does anybody else feel that this has killed our promotion hopes?

Certainly it has put a big dent in them, unless with our new additions we can hit on a new attacking formation. I am afraid that last seasons strike force further weakened by the departure of Matty Taylor, will not be good enough.

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

@TETBURY MASSIVE I am intrigued by what you mean here?

Perhaps you could expand please?

Really....?? 

He acts like he owns the forum and is allowed to do whatever he wants and openly admits to trolling and has to make every thread about him and derails every thread but nothing is done about it as he is part of the clique of the Supporters Bars where they are all.buddy buddy... 

I'm sure it's not all MODS but if you think he isnt treated differently then you are mistaken.

5 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

Not only this (huge blow), but the sensation that injuries will hit again and again, damaging the team in the next months too;  add the fact that some players could need much time to regain the best form...

Im assuming that there was a row of ladders at the training ground under which the players all walked and thirteen black cats they stepped on during pre-season training to cause such a run of injuries.

I honestly want to know what's going on with us and injuries, it cannot be coincidence that we get so many. This is a season changer for us, his wages will undoubtedly be a factor in us not being able to replace him in January as we already have so many players taking a wage whilst injured.

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

Do we think Bristol post are still just picking this up from tweets?

After their Tinnion story, they aren’t exactly the most credible 

I think they'd be a lot more credible now after that issue, they wouldn't want to risk tarnishing the relationship further.

Peter O'Rouke running the story means it's almost certainly true sadly. 

22 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Its more about up front how many centre forwards do we have at the club. Famara and Adobe? 

If this is true about adobe then its terrible luck, but we started the season with fammy afobe weimann and semenyo as a youth back up. Eisa and taylor werent good enough. With hindsight if one of fammy afobe or weimann does an acl and is out for the season then we are going to struggle until the next transfer window, but was that really predictable? Its difficult.

2 minutes ago, YorksRed said:

Is it me or have we also had an unlucky history of loan players getting badly injured shortly after joining us - remember a German striker on his debut I think and a few others? Not saying there is anything more than bad luck behind it of course.

Remember that hunk of a defender from Wolves - played brilliantly for 30 mins then out for season. That striker chap  from Glasgow Rangers- not even sure if he played a game before a serious injury.

10 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

I hope you're right, but the thought of Fam upfront on his own, particularly at home fills me with dread.

Let's be fair here, Fams record is not bad at all when it comes to goals to minutes. The thought of him up front on his own may not be ideal, BUT he hasn't exactly played much with Palmer, Massengo, Nagy behind him, along with Hunt who seems to be hitting form. There is nothing to suggest we will lump balls like last season to him - at least I am hoping it isn't the same as last season. Expect plenty of moaning though if he doesn't score on the weekend or he misplaces a pass.....

Gutted. Feel for Benik, he was settling in nicely.

Just hope someone can step up. I really dont want to see Fam being used with his back to goal anymore, it just doesn't work well. We've looked much more dangerous with someone running the channels and in behind.

7 minutes ago, YorksRed said:

Is it me or have we also had an unlucky history of loan players getting badly injured shortly after joining us - remember a German striker on his debut I think and a few others? Not saying there is anything more than bad luck behind it of course.

We have.

Unsure which German striker you mean but off the top of my head:

Elokobi several years back, Velicka on debut and Vokes pretty early.

Sure there are some others?

1 minute ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Remember that hunk of a defender from Wolves - played brilliantly for 30 mins then out for season. That striker chap  from Glasgow Rangers- not even sure if he played a game before a serious injury.

George Elokobi. And Sam Vokes loan spell was over in minutes. 

1 minute ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Elokobi and Velicka, maybe Wood/Vokes, and probably others I forgot.

Archived