IGNORED

Afobe Out For Season (confirmed)

Sturman 1

If we can stay in the top 10 going into January, hopefully LJ and the team would have leant from the summers lessons and we would have sounded out the striker we need to replace him by then.

We still have two strikers who hit double figures last season, and it represents a great opportunity for Semenyo to step up.

Talk of our season being over is a bit melodramatic. 

18 minutes ago, phantom said:

@TETBURY MASSIVE I am intrigued by what you mean here?

Perhaps you could expand please?

I’m just guessing here but he’s probably alluding to the fact that he’s a self confessed troll, who constantly details threads with his attention seeking antics, yet nothing ever gets done and he is free to continue to do it without any kind of moderator intervention  

If he was warned and then banned if he continued to ignore warnings perhaps he’d stop doing it? 

I get the feeling that this injury may have happened a few weeks ago, and they have kept it under wraps. Remember Afobe hasn't played for 3 weeks now. I remember a week or so ago that LJ played Palmer and Szmodics up front in a U23 game as he wanted to see how they got on together, and also this has coincided with COD finally signing his new contract. Add to this the extra bit of game time that Semenyo has had recently (early sub at Stoke). Could this all have been LJ looking at alternative options, knowing that Afobe was going to be out?

Maybe intense training sessions are helping us do so well on the pitch, but means we suffer more injuries. Complete guess that is the reason. I'm sure LJ must be looking into it. I used to think Arsenal must have been doing something to get so many injuries for so many seasons under Wenger. It could just be bad luck though I guess. Who knows.

1 minute ago, marcofisher said:

If we can stay in the top 10 going into January, hopefully LJ and the team would have leant from the summers lessons and we would have sounded out the striker we need to replace him by then.

We still have two strikers who hit double figures last season, and it represents a great opportunity for Semenyo to step up.

Talk of our season being over is a bit melodramatic. 

Of course it is, but one thing we've really struggled with in the last couple of years is identifying and signing a proven 15-20 goal Championship striker. It was arguably the difference between us making the playoffs and not both last season and in 17/18 so naturally people will be pessimistic. 

8 minutes ago, Spike said:

I honestly want to know what's going on with us and injuries, it cannot be coincidence that we get so many. This is a season changer for us, his wages will undoubtedly be a factor in us not being able to replace him in January as we already have so many players taking a wage whilst injured.

Surely we can cancel his loan deal as soon as January comes around?

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Maybe intense training sessions are helping us do so well on the pitch, but means we suffer more injuries. Complete guess that is the reason. I'm sure LJ must be looking into it. I used to think Arsenal must have been doing something to get so many injuries for so many seasons under Wenger. It could just be bad luck though I guess. Who knows.

If we had a raft of hamstring strains or similar injuries then maybe, but an ACL really is a freak injury and the intense training sessions are unlikely to be a factor here in quite the same way.

There's a risk of re-doing it every time Afobe plays unfortunately - once you've had it once it's pretty easy to happen again. 

18 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

I'm not usually the knee jerk reaction type, but does anybody else feel that this has killed our promotion hopes?

Inescapable feeling, have to agree.

I felt we were odds-on for top six. Now I feel the chance dips below 50/50, but I would love to be proven wrong. I really felt Afobe was the difference.

Can’t remember an injury leaving me as deflated as this before.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

If we had a raft of hamstring strains or similar injuries then maybe, but an ACL really is a freak injury and the intense training sessions are unlikely to be a factor here. 

There's a risk of re-doing it every time Afobe plays unfortunately - once you've had it once it's pretty easy to happen again. 

Fair enough. Personally aint got a clue about injuries. Well it is good news if it's not something they did in training. And hope that's usually the case with these injuries.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Of course it is, but one thing we've really struggled with in the last couple of years is identifying and signing a proven 15-20 goal Championship striker. It was arguably the difference between us making the playoffs and not both last season and in 17/18 so naturally people will be pessimistic. 

We finished 8th last season without this Striker, the team is undoubtably better than last season and we also have January to strengthen. 

We will also be able to send back Afobe in January as far my albeit limited knowledge of loans suggests. 

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

Play Fammy with a strike partner like Weimann and itll be fine. The problem last season was him toiling on his own with little support.

100% spot on with this, but you’ll find that the Fammy haters cant see that for love nor money. He’s so much more effective with a strike partner and bringing others into play.

4 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

I suppose it depends on what we signed, if it's a year long loan then I imagine it would come at a cost to cancel it just like when you cancel a full contract.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Fair enough. Personally aint got a clue about injuries. Well it is good news if it's not something they did in training. And hope that's usually the case with these injuries.

The ACL is just a nasty injury that can happen at any point, obviously the more someone plays football (including training) the higher the risk of redoing it - but it's not quite the same as 6 players getting hamstring strains from too much sprinting for example.

2 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

If he is injured, do we go with what we have in Diedhiou, Semenyo, Weimann and Watkins?

I don't think it's worth getting someone like Hooper/Bony in on a short term contract for back up. 

Janneh too. Szmodics or Palmer or both off of one striker an option too. I still think we will be strong even without Afobe. But it really is the biggest player to lose imo. Really hope Semenyo can really kick on now. But to be fair he's just a kid. Janneh might surprise a few when he is fit again. 

2 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

We finished 8th last season without this Striker, the team is undoubtably better than last season and we also have January to strengthen. 

We will also be able to send back Afobe in January as far my albeit limited knowledge of loans suggests. 

I think on balance it probably is better - especially in midfield - but the loss of Webster, Dasilva's injury and now Afobe's are huge blows. 

Oh well - lots of game time for Semenyo, could turn out to be the making of him..

38 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I'm talking about our forward line lacking depth. 

Afobe, Diedhiou, Semenyo, Weimann, Jannah.

Again, we are not lacking depth. We usually only play 1 striker, we couldn't keep 3 top strikers happy based on that. 

4 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

I don’t think we can, but even if we could it wouldn’t solve the immediate problem that we’re lost one good striker. We might sign another player in January but that’s 4 months away. 

Archived