IGNORED

Afobe Out For Season (confirmed)

Sturman 1

2 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I don’t think we can, but even if we could it wouldn’t solve the immediate problem that we’re lost one good striker. We might sign another player in January but that’s 4 months away. 

Fam and Weimann both hit double figures last season. They are more than competent of filling in for 4 months. 

33 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

I'm not usually the knee jerk reaction type, but does anybody else feel that this has killed our promotion hopes?

It’s certainly a set back but it depends what happens from now on.

Afobe will still have to be paid by us even if he is injured so we will need to be able to comply with FFP which may mean we have to find some ‘ wriggle room ‘ on the wages front if we need a replacement.

We got pretty close to promotion last season and we have strengthened since , especially in midfield so we still have a good chance IMHO.

3 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

If he is injured, do we go with what we have in Diedhiou, Semenyo, Weimann and Watkins?

I don't think it's worth getting someone like Hooper/Bony in on a short term contract for back up. 

I was going to ask the same question.  Don't think Bony would be worth it but hooper as a back up?  I suspect that LJ will stick with what we have.

5 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Fam is more than competent, IF we actually play to his strengths. If we play him up front by himself, and play no wingers, he's almost pointless in that system.

A Fam in a 2, or a 4321 with Eliasson and COD either side is a different beast 

Agree it would get more out of Diedhiou- an isolated lone striker he is not.

21 minutes ago, kiwicolin said:

But but but.... it cant be true as @Robbored said it was a unfounded rumour..... egg on his face again... I bet he doesnt admit he was wrong... again....

On the bright side.... step forward Super Marley Watkins..... 

21 minutes ago, kiwicolin said:

But but but.... it cant be true as @Robbored said it was a unfounded rumour..... egg on his face again... I bet he doesnt admit he was wrong... again....

On the bright side.... step forward Super Marley Watkins..... 

12 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Maybe intense training sessions are helping us do so well on the pitch, but means we suffer more injuries. Complete guess that is the reason. I'm sure LJ must be looking into it. I used to think Arsenal must have been doing something to get so many injuries for so many seasons under Wenger. It could just be bad luck though I guess. Who knows.

Agree. Our performance on pitch show that our fitness levels are very high. Think players are pushed to the edge in training to maintain that intensity which increases potential injuries. Catch 22 I suppose. 

2 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

O’Dowda can play in the middle so, perhaps, LJ could do a Bobby Reid transformation with him. 

O'Dowda has played out and out striker on his own a couple of times late in games. Stoke in league cup was one. He looked excellent there. 

I always think there are creative ways of selecting a strike force. O'Dowda does have attributes that might work alongside another forward. Maybe more likely in behind another forward. I liked him behind Fam a couple of times I've seen him there. He has the energy to get beyond him, and the bit of power to not get completely outmuscled.

5 minutes ago, Redbo said:

He waffles on about @JulieH and how much he hates the police a fair amount. 

For the record..... I dont hate the police.... 

I do think that she is bad at her job, has been caught out lying, and dont believe she should be on here as she is he for one thing only... and that's not too be helpful.....!! 

12 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Inescapable feeling, have to agree.

I felt we were odds-on for top six. Now I feel the chance dips below 50/50, but I would love to be proven wrong. I really felt Afobe was the difference.

Can’t remember an injury leaving me as deflated as this before.

Cheeseley’s injury was a massive blow at the time .

22 minutes ago, ollywhyte said:

Surely it’s worth having a chat with Wilfried Bony?

Decent shout that. Maybe Williams could have a word was with him at Swansea providing he’s not demanding big wages.

What I don’t get is why are so many on here are looking for someone to blame for a freak injury that could happen to anyone anywhere?? Pointing the finger at the Training ground, LJ, any of the other coaches, get a life ffs it’s happened.

10 minutes ago, mozo said:

No, it's an unfounded rumour and complete bollocks ?

I must hold my hands up as on post 7 of this thread I was the first to make mention of the potential injury to Benik. Then the infighting started on my baseless and unfounded rumour. I also said when it becomes official I'd identify my source. In the interests of protecting the source I shall refrain from doing so. 

The infighting aside I wish Benik well and hope he has a steady recovery. Such a shame as he appeared to be back in love with the game and has become a fan favourite in his loan spell to date. 

6 minutes ago, ColeCiderRed said:

I must hold my hands up as on post 7 of this thread I was the first to make mention of the potential injury to Benik. Then the infighting started on my baseless and unfounded rumour. I also said when it becomes official I'd identify my source. In the interests of protecting the source I shall refrain from doing so. 

The infighting aside I wish Benik well and hope he has a steady recovery. Such a shame as he appeared to be back in love with the game and has become a fan favourite in his loan spell to date. 

I think people mainly took objection to the original twitter post basically being 'I know something you don't know.. but I'm not going to tell you what' 

Why does everybody suddenly become an expert fitness coach suddenly as soon as we have some injuries?

Injuries happen, especially recurring ones like has happened with Benik. I'm sure our fitness trainers and physios are far more qualified and equipped to analyse our squads fitness than some random blokes on OTIB who are saying they and their training sessions need to be seriously looked at. 

5 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Why does everybody suddenly become an expert fitness coach suddenly as soon as we have some injuries?

Injuries happen, especially recurring ones like has happened with Benik. I'm sure our fitness trainers and physios are far more qualified and equipped to analyse our squads fitness than some random blokes on OTIB who are saying they and their training sessions need to be seriously looked at. 

not sure anyone is claiming to be an expert, think they're all fair points tbf

no different than people talking about tactics and line ups surely?

Going forward until Jan I think our best options are: 

Sticking with 3-5-2, Fam and Weimann as a front 2. Palmer behind. 

Or, a front 3 of COD, Weimann, and Semenyo/Eliasson. Can’t really see us playing a 4-3-3 as it eliminates Palmer from probably playing. 

Or Weimann up top by himself but with Cod, Palmer and Eliasson behind in an attacking mid 3. Kind of like the idea of this, but would probably require a 4-2-3-1. Can we do this with a back 3? Hmmm. 

17 minutes ago, Born and Red in 82 said:

Just been on the stoke forum ‘oatcake’ .. some moron has written “wishing Benik a full recovery and as for cheating bristol what goes around comes around” what a sad bitter loser still not over the defeat are they! 

They wish him well?! They were booing him every game!

20 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

We got pretty close to promotion last season and we have strengthened since , especially in midfield so we still have a good chance IMHO.

Well our defence is now worse than last season (Webster gone, Kalas, JD injured), and our frontline is the same as last season. Until Nagy is fit, our midfield probably similar standard. 

The team that faces Swansea could be similar standard (or weaker!) to our 2018-19 line up

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

not sure anyone is claiming to be an expert, think they're all fair points tbf

no different than people talking about tactics and line ups surely?

I don't really see how you can say the fitness coaches need to be looked at when the guy has just suffered his THIRD ACL injury. 

It could be considered more of a recruitment error rather than anything to do with the fitness trainers. 

But all in all it is really awful luck, nothing to do with the player, the fitness trainers or the recruitment. 

Poor Benik, if this is his 3rd one in his career by the time he is 26 he could have a really hard time of it going into what is meant to be the peak of his career.

Archived