IGNORED

Afobe Out For Season (confirmed)

Sturman 1

• Admin
13 minutes ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

Would the beeb lie? JD, Afobe, Kalas.... mega bad luck with our new signings 

2CE31981-02A0-4607-A630-25CED5ECE915.jpeg

The key line there is that reports "BBC Radio Bristol", who we can assume got it from the "Bristol Post", who I would expect got it from the many Twitter "re-tweets"?

Or am I just clutching at straws? 

18 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

Any negligible benefit the club gains by not commenting on this (keep Swansea guessing) is wholly outweighed by keeping fans in the dark and pissing then off in the process.

From the clubs point of view, what do they gain by going public now? nothing!

As for the fans, there is nothing we can do whether he's injured or not

1 minute ago, phantom said:

The key line there is that reports "BBC Radio Bristol", who we can assume got it from the "Bristol Post", who I would expect got it from the many Twitter "re-tweets"?

Normally I'd agree but to have it funnel to the BBC without checking their sources is highly unlikely.

7 minutes ago, phantom said:

My only hope is that the injury was rumoured to have happened yesterday, I thought normally Wednesday was the standard day off for players. Yes I know injuries could happen any place and time, and he could have been in doing extra training, but unlikely? (straws firmly clutched too).

20 minutes ago, RedM said:

I agree. How many more punches to the stomach can the team take? I think if tue this will be one blow too many, physically and mentally for players and management alike. 

Disagree, they are professional footballers with many of them having the massive ego’s that go with it. Of course they will be sad for Afobe because he’s clearly fitted in well but they’ll be alright!!!

In a harsh but entirely necessary way both Diedhiou and Semenyo will be thinking they have an opportunity now to stake a claim at least until the January window. Tough realities of professional sport.

3 minutes ago, OnCider said:

https://twitter.com/BristolCity/status/1174646819487240193

Sounds like City are going to announce something at 7pm.  Perhaps announce Afobe's injury and a replacement signing? #EverTheOptimist

Return of the quiz that looks like

2 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

If this rumour is true, serious questions need to be asked about our backroom staff. I've never known a club to have so many injuries. Add to that, the fact that Nagy was allowed to play for Hungary when not fully fit, and it all seems to be a bit of a farce. 

Pretty sure we don't get a say in competitive games, only friendlies 

4 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

If this rumour is true, serious questions need to be asked about our backroom staff. I've never known a club to have so many injuries. Add to that, the fact that Nagy was allowed to play for Hungary when not fully fit, and it all seems to be a bit of a farce. 

Is one of the risks of signing internationals, on balance a good thing but nothing is ever fully positive or negative- believe @hodge to be right, though I wish he had just hammed it up a little and used that time to recover!

8 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

ACL injuries are just plain unlucky. You can’t pin the blame on anyone for that. The same with Kalas snapping his hamstring 30 MINUTES into a game, another freak injury.

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Disagree, they are professional footballers with many of them having the massive ego’s that go with it. Of course they will be sad for Afobe because he’s clearly fitted in well but they’ll be alright!!!

In a harsh but entirely necessary way both Diedhiou and Semenyo will be thinking they have an opportunity now to stake a claim at least until the January window. Tough realities of professional sport.

Whilst I agree with you I do think it won’t be as easy as that to ‘just get on with it’. The team has had an upgrade in quality through it, Goalkeeper, defenders, midfield and striker, allowing these players to perform better. The new quality is now absent on the whole and we have been left with either young players or players who need that extra help to get the best out of them as they couldn’t produce it as often as was needed last season. We are also without our captain again this season, although yes Brownhill has stepped up. 

Yes we can and we will carry on, but surely no one can deny it is a big blow to Bristol City if true.

8 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

No questions need to be asked, this is by no fault of the backroom staff. This is Benik's third time having this identical injury, this would have been known when he was signed. 

Let's not forget as highlighted before that he was not our first choice for the striker berth and this may have been why. 

To say that it is the backroom staff's fault that he has suffered a recurring injury from before he was with us is pretty harsh to say the least. 

2 minutes ago, RedM said:

Whilst I agree with you I do think it won’t be as easy as that to ‘just get on with it’. The team has had an upgrade in quality through it, Goalkeeper, defenders, midfield and striker, allowing these players to perform better. The new quality is now absent on the whole and we have been left with either young players or players who need that extra help to get the best out of them as they couldn’t produce it as often as was needed last season. We are also without our captain again this season, although yes Brownhill has stepped up. 

Yes we can and we will carry on, but surely no one can deny it is a big blow to Bristol City if true.

It will be a blow but it’s a 46 game season. Diedhiou might not be the answer but we know he will score some goals over a prolonged period, Semenyo is clearly an unknown quantity right now but we’ll find out what he’s about soon enough.

We have gone 6 unbeaten without Nagy for the most part and with players still getting to know each other. The trick is to still be within some sort of striking distance by January and then we can do something about it........plus half the squad will be back with us!!!

17 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Any particular members of the backroom staff? Perhaps the physio? Oh Steve Allen has departed since the hectic season of operations worse than anything he had known. Perhaps the strength and conditioning coach? Oh Rhys Carr has departed.

Not everything needs to turn into a blame game complete with pitchforks.

Devastated for us but also for Afobe. 

Poor bloke he finally seemed at home and happy and this has derailed that. 

We can't lick our wounds.. this happens it's a sport. No blame just need to carry on.

Hopefully big step up for Semenyo or Sammie potentially with of course Diedhiou

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

I'm saying there's no consistency. Not that my ban wasn't deserved.

I responded to someone the way they addressed me, but only 1 person got a ban.

Even then the message said a week ban, but the date said it was a month. I queried it to ask which it was- not even the validity of the ban- and there wasn't so much as the courtesy of a response.

On the other hand we have a known troll who actively tries to disrupt the forum and is allowed to do whatever he wants.

I accepted my ban, it's been over and done, but that doesn't mean I cannot point out obvious flaws in the way the forum is moderated.

Hi @JamesBCFC I do not mean to pick on you, just I am intrigued about what you posted.

How do you know anyone else was not given any warnings etc?

I honestly do not know, but say it was your second warning and the other persons first I would assume that they would be dealt with differently?

2 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Any particular members of the backroom staff? Perhaps the physio? Oh Steve Allen has departed since the hectic season of operations worse than anything he had known. Perhaps the strength and conditioning coach? Oh Rhys Carr has departed.

Not everything needs to turn into a blame game complete with pitchforks.

The truth is we are having an awful sustained run of bad luck. I very much doubt the club waits until it is pointed out on OTIB and thinks “oh yeah, we better look into this”?.

If this is true, which looks likely from reputable sources, then there isn’t any benefit in the club not releasing a statement - it’ll certainly be known by Swansea for no other reason that Stoke will be aware and there are common contacts amongst the clubs (eg Joe Allen). The lack of a statement may be down to one of two things:

- It isn’t true, and the club are letting it run to fool Swansea

- There are discussions over financials etc which are being buttoned down before release of statement

If true this is a big blow. We do have a decent championship striker (albeit I don’t think a top six one) in Famara, and a very good prospect in Semenyo. When Nagys fit, I can also see us playing KP behind Weimann. All good options, but a notch below Afobe. I also think a free agent probably isn’t the way to go - even if training, they’d be a long way from match sharp which takes longer as a forward than say Ashley Williams did at the back. Our work needs to go towards identifying a January target - and in the 18 games between now and then, a totally attainable 25-30 points has us on target for 70-80 points at season end and right in it.

Big blow - but this isn’t season ending for us. Far from it.

7 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

We’ll have Diedhiou who will be determined to prove the doubters wrong, with Weimann alongside him and KP supplying.

We know Fammy offers around 15 goals a season if starting etc. He has his limitations and isn’t Afobe. But we know what he is about but what we don’t want to see is those boring home games that end 1-1 which I fear we will return to. 

Away LJ seems to be able to get the best out of him though. 

Archived