IGNORED

Afobe Out For Season (confirmed)

Sturman 1

5 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

They should if they go asking for it. I don't imagine the boss of BET365 (who likely knows) will have rushed to inform all and sundry. In the grand scheme its largely irrelevant to their market. 

That’s good enough for me , I am going to go back into hope mode again , I couldn’t handle the despair ?

11 minutes ago, Coppello said:

I'm stunned that anyone would genuinely believe that's not injured. Given that it is widely reported in the media, it's obvious that there is something in it. City aren't reporting on it to keep the opponent guessing. Don't bother getting your hopes up.

Out of interest, what type of insurance do clubs have over players?  Do they have injury insurance?

1 minute ago, NOTBLUE said:

I’ve just put a tenner on him to be first scorer,have I wasted my money?

Not if he doesn’t play!

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Out of interest, what type of insurance do clubs have over players?  Do they have injury insurance?

Not if he doesn’t play!

Not sure in all cases, but the recent Michael Owen saga revealed that Newcastle didn't want him to return from injury as the insurance was paying his wages. Allegedly. 

On 19/09/2019 at 10:14, ChippenhamRed said:

Inescapable feeling, have to agree.

I felt we were odds-on for top six. Now I feel the chance dips below 50/50, but I would love to be proven wrong. I really felt Afobe was the difference.

Can’t remember an injury leaving me as deflated as this before.

I couldn't agree more. I have had a lump on us to finish in the top 10 and also top 6 although one never counts the chickens this is a massive blow for us.

After the start we have made I was absolutely convinced he was the 20+ goal per year Striker we have been yearning  to add to our current crop.

People are saying that we didn't have him last year so why would we miss him but you have to take into account injuries and form of our current strikers and it could make a massive difference to our prospects this season.

I have also heard some random stories/rumours regarding this injury news  swinging wildly from he has done his ACL to the fact it is also a ruse to disrupt Swansea's preparations! ? Go figure

I live in hope that LJ is not on best terms with some in the media. He's seen this story come from nowhere and thinks "the longer I say nothing the more egg on face they'll all have when the truth is outed." 

Bristol Post are treating the injury as fact and most of their articles on the subject will make them look like unprofessional losers if he's OK. 

• Admin
1 hour ago, maxjak said:

I understand why, as it's a normal human instinct to want to hope. But I am truly incredulous at the amount of self denial and doubt on this subject.  How else does one formulate a fact, other than by using research and information to ascertain the truth? Rather than blinkered opinion?  If people would take the time to explore the internet and some of the reputable sites on it, then there can only be one conclusion......... Benik unfortunately has suffered a major injury, and will not play again this season. Glib insults and sad ridicule won't change the truth?   I wish him all the best in his future.

Go and do some actual research then. Something the main two journalists haven't appeared to have done. 

It started doing the rounds on Twitter on Wednesday evening after @bcfcmitch posted that he'd done his ACL. This was shortly after 10pm. About half hour later he deleted this tweet but the story continued.

The next morning, The Post, who had spent half the Summer publishing any tenuous link on Twitter as transfer fact, published a story that he was suspected to have a season ending ACL injury and 30mins later, once in the wild, Peter O'Rourke did similar quoting his "source close to the club" (Gregor?). On Thursday evening the original poster on twitter announced it was a hoax and he couldn't believe how many people fell for it. I have tweeted Gregor 4 times since he took on his role at the Post, he has only failed to reply once. Funnily enough that one time was yesterday when I sent him a screenshot of the originator's admission and asked for his comment on that. 

He isn't injured. 

I wonder what the club make of all this, internally.

Either a key player being injured for the season has leaked out ahead of time, alerting Swansea and indeed the rest of the League but especially Swansea so they can plan accordingly, or it's one big hoax. Presumably Swansea will be factoring in 2 possibilities tactically which could help.

OTOH if it is the latter, the social media dept at least might well be pissing themselves- unsure on the other departments however.

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Thanks for reply and I was interested as you have reasons for your views

it’s not a dig at you but I struggle to identify ,  what ‘his game’ is

i hope you are right about a partnership but I’m not convinced ,

Personally I’ve seen little evidence of him forming partnerships  - Some may say Bobby Reid but I thought Reid was the important key there

No forming a partnership has probably been his biggest problem. What I always think of is how high lines were in France and him timing those runs and getting quite a few one on ones much like Diony. His lack of pace really stands out because there is less space for him to run in behind imo. 

So no I am not convinced a partnership will work either but think he would be better if he can make one work if that makes sense. If I am being honest he doesn’t and hasn’t ever really fit our style. Maybe a bit with Reid but generally think teams didn’t fear us as much his first season and defenders were a bit higher. Think teams now try to soak up pressure against us especially at home and Fam struggles in that game. 

I am most interested in him pairing Semenyo. Semenyo weirdly is more physical and comfortable receiving the ball under pressure and has really good vision and weight of pass. Think he is the best partner for Fam which also makes it tough because he is probably furthest from playing loads. I’d have been interested in seeing him play with a Wilbraham as well. 

All in all no he doesn’t really fit but I personally take a bit of offence when people just slate him non stop. He has a poor touch, a not so great conversion rate and isn’t particularly quick but he always puts in a shift. For me that is enough. It is the clubs failing not finding a way to get more out of him imo. 

2 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Go and do some actual research then. Something the main two journalists haven't appeared to have done. 

It started doing the rounds on Twitter on Wednesday evening after @bcfcmitch posted that he'd done his ACL. This was shortly after 10pm. About half hour later he deleted this tweet but the story continued.

The next morning, The Post, who had spent half the Summer publishing any tenuous link on Twitter as transfer fact, published a story that he was suspected to have a season ending ACL injury and 30mins later, once in the wild, Peter O'Rourke did similar quoting his "source close to the club" (Gregor?). On Thursday evening the original poster on twitter announced it was a hoax and he couldn't believe how many people fell for it. I have tweeted Gregor 4 times since he took on his role at the Post, he has only failed to reply once. Funnily enough that one time was yesterday when I sent him a screenshot of the originator's admission and asked for his comment on that. 

He isn't injured. 

As much as i want you to be right - I was reading things on facebook, before 10pm

2 minutes ago, Ian M said:

He isn't injured. 

Why are people so determined to talk in absolute terms when there is very obviously uncertainty and doubt?

You don’t know for certain that he isn’t injured. Those claiming for certain that he is don’t know either.

Why not accept and acknowledge that none of us know for certain? It could be a hoax, it could be real. Right now that’s all we can say. There is no prize for being the person who calls it right.

7 minutes ago, Ian M said:

He isn't injured. 

Are you stating that bcfcMitch was on the wind-up and, by deduction, he isn't injured, or you know he isn't injured?

They're not quite the same. 

1 minute ago, CotswoldRed said:

Are you stating that bcfcMitch was on the wind-up and, by deduction, he isn't injured, or you know he isn't injured?

Worth mentioning, unless I am reading the wrong tweet, BCFCMitch didn't actually admit to starting it as a hoax. He actually apologised for tweeting it, claiming he had seen Benik Afobe and he was not actually injured. Based on that, if he is hoaxing anyone, it is by claiming Benik Afobe is not actually injured, not by claiming he was in the first place.

Increasingly I think it would be odder if this was true and the club had not confirmed it than if it was a rumour and the club had not denied it. I've no idea which it is, obviously. but I'm starting to think it surprising the club would not have said anything by now. I know teams want to catch their opponents out but teams don't tend to employ gamesmanship on injuries that serious...

19 minutes ago, Ian M said:

He isn't injured. 

Gregor has been spot on all summer. If he says he's injured I'm gonna believe him 

What I will say is that if this whole situation is an attempt at mind games by the club, whether he’s injured or fit, eight games into a season then somebody needs to ask them what planet they are living on!!!!

Given the way this place and our fanbase swings I get an uncomfortable feeling this issue will be used as a big stick to smash the club with at some point.

Only my opinion but I think somebody has lost the plot.

17 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

No forming a partnership has probably been his biggest problem. What I always think of is how high lines were in France and him timing those runs and getting quite a few one on ones much like Diony. His lack of pace really stands out because there is less space for him to run in behind imo. 

So no I am not convinced a partnership will work either but think he would be better if he can make one work if that makes sense. If I am being honest he doesn’t and hasn’t ever really fit our style. Maybe a bit with Reid but generally think teams didn’t fear us as much his first season and defenders were a bit higher. Think teams now try to soak up pressure against us especially at home and Fam struggles in that game. 

I am most interested in him pairing Semenyo. Semenyo weirdly is more physical and comfortable receiving the ball under pressure and has really good vision and weight of pass. Think he is the best partner for Fam which also makes it tough because he is probably furthest from playing loads. I’d have been interested in seeing him play with a Wilbraham as well. 

All in all no he doesn’t really fit but I personally take a bit of offence when people just slate him non stop. He has a poor touch, a not so great conversion rate and isn’t particularly quick but he always puts in a shift. For me that is enough. It is the clubs failing not finding a way to get more out of him imo. 

Good post Joe

Semenyo has some real ability but when I’ve seen him is a bit static 

That may make him more , or less , suited to pairing with FD - Not really sure

AW is on a completely different frequency to FD !

14 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

10 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Worth mentioning, unless I am reading the wrong tweet, BCFCMitch didn't actually admit to starting it as a hoax. He actually apologised for tweeting it, claiming he had seen Benik Afobe and he was not actually injured. Based on that, if he is hoaxing anyone, it is by claiming Benik Afobe is not actually injured, not by claiming he was in the first place.

Increasingly I think it would be odder if this was true and the club had not confirmed it than if it was a rumour and the club had not denied it. I've no idea which it is, obviously. but I'm starting to think it surprising the club would not have said anything by now. I know teams want to catch their opponents out but teams don't tend to employ gamesmanship on injuries that serious...

Unless I’ve missed a bit shouldn’t we just ignore this Mitch twitter Clown completely ?

May as well ask my postman what they think - about as accurate as ‘Mitch’ 

Or have I missed a bit ?

:comando:

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

What I will say that if this whole situation is an attempt at mind games by the club, whether he’s injured or fit, eight games into a season then somebody needs to ask them what planet they are living on!!!!

Given the way this place and our fanbase swings I get an uncomfortable feeling this issue will be used as a big stick to smash the club with at some point.

Well I've certainly lost the plot on this one.

I've been up and down like a whores drawers - he's injured, no he's not, yes he is, maybe, maybe not.

Brilliant example of the internet and media spiralling and gaining momentum regardless of true or not.

As I said earlier, a hell of a lot of people with very red faces if it turns out to be bullshit :yes:

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Unless I’ve missed a bit shouldn’t we just ignore this Mitch twitter Clown completely ?

May as well ask my postman what they think - about as accurate as ‘Mitch’ 

Or have I missed a bit ?

:comando:

Christ knows. I'd never bloody heard of him until this whole thing started. This might genuinely be a time where it is silly to believe anything until either the club make an official statement or Afobe appears on the team sheet on Saturday...

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

What I will say that if this whole situation is an attempt at mind games by the club, whether he’s injured or fit, eight games into a season then somebody needs to ask them what planet they are living on!!!!

If it is true, then it may be a contractual issue that is holding up any statement.

if it is not true, why on earth would the club have to make a statement or in fact do anything? If not making a statement on a baseless rumour is subsequently seen as playing mind games, then so be it

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

Christ knows. I'd never bloody heard of him until this whole thing started. This might genuinely be a time where it is silly to believe anything until either the club make an official statement or Afobe appears on the team sheet on Saturday...

Which is what @Robbored has been banging on about throughout this thread...

Archived