IGNORED

Afobe Out For Season (confirmed)

Sturman 1

11 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

What I will say is that if this whole situation is an attempt at mind games by the club, whether he’s injured or fit, eight games into a season then somebody needs to ask them what planet they are living on!!!!

Given the way this place and our fanbase swings I get an uncomfortable feeling this issue will be used as a big stick to smash the club with at some point.

Only my opinion but I think somebody has lost the plot.

But if he is not injured, why would the club come out and say so, it doesn't benefit us in any way, and if Swansea have any belief in the rumour, then they will have to train and set up for two different scenarios. If he is injured, then we find out on Saturday, but we may as well make Swansea have to think about and plan for both. It gives us a bit of an advantage.

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Christ knows. I'd never bloody heard of him until this whole thing started. This might genuinely be a time where it is silly to believe anything until either the club make an official statement or Afobe appears on the team sheet on Saturday...

I did hear a whisper that it was a bit of a cover up by the club and in fact Benik had actually eloped with Kasey’s wife and his car keys 

:dunno:

I think as some others have said, being a loan signing, both clubs must be getting independent reports on injury to look at liabilities, legal issues and implications to what happens to remainder of the loan. Does he go back to Stoke or stay with City, who is liable for remainder of loan contract, insurance details, etc.

Whatever the outcome, got to get behind whoever replaces him. Without doubt it would be a huge blow if this rumour is true, but far too early to say the season is over.

4 minutes ago, asfred said:

But if he is not injured, why would the club come and say so. Doesn't benefit us in any way, and if Swansea have any belief in the rumour, then they will have to train and set up for two different scenarios. If he is injured, then we find out on Saturday, but we may as well make Swansea have to think about and plan for both. It gives us a bit of an advantage.

Possibly because it would set a precedent on every other rumour that gets started afterwards.

We’ll all be saying, they told us the truth Re Afobe, why haven’t they done it this time.

34 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Go and do some actual research then. Something the main two journalists haven't appeared to have done. 

It started doing the rounds on Twitter on Wednesday evening after @bcfcmitch posted that he'd done his ACL. This was shortly after 10pm. About half hour later he deleted this tweet but the story continued.

The next morning, The Post, who had spent half the Summer publishing any tenuous link on Twitter as transfer fact, published a story that he was suspected to have a season ending ACL injury and 30mins later, once in the wild, Peter O'Rourke did similar quoting his "source close to the club" (Gregor?). On Thursday evening the original poster on twitter announced it was a hoax and he couldn't believe how many people fell for it. I have tweeted Gregor 4 times since he took on his role at the Post, he has only failed to reply once. Funnily enough that one time was yesterday when I sent him a screenshot of the originator's admission and asked for his comment on that. 

He isn't injured. 

I am of the same opinion as you mate.

SURELY the club would have announced something by now, even if the full extent of the injury is not revealed.

If he is injured and if it’s an ACL rupture for the 3rd time then it would potentially be career threatening.  I’d expect that the priority would be therefore be supporting Afobe through a pretty devastating time and not making rushed statements to appease city fans.  This might be really bad for our season but it could be much much worse for Afobe personally.  

1 minute ago, TinMan's left peg said:

If he is injured and if it’s an ACL rupture for the 3rd time then it would potentially be career threatening.  I’d expect that the priority would be therefore be supporting Afobe through a pretty devastating time and not making rushed statements to appease city fans.  This might be really bad for our season but it could be much much worse for Afobe personally.  

Very true, if true.

5 minutes ago, asfred said:

But if he is not injured, why would the club come out and say so, it doesn't benefit us in any way, and if Swansea have any belief in the rumour, then they will have to train and set up for two different scenarios. If he is injured, then we find out on Saturday, but we may as well make Swansea have to think about and plan for both. It gives us a bit of an advantage.

A lot of people saying this and I understand the argument. But let’s say the lad is fit and plays and Swansea smash us 3-0...........rightly or wrongly, you know what’s its going to be like!!

1 hour ago, RedEyez said:

I've done lots of research on religion in my time and i have come to the conclusion that its a load of rubbish

Is that a fact? No. It's my opinion.

You belter.

I'm happy to call it a fact.. 

26 minutes ago, ray savino said:

I think as some others have said, being a loan signing, both clubs must be getting independent reports on injury to look at liabilities, legal issues and implications to what happens to remainder of the loan. Does he go back to Stoke or stay with City, who is liable for remainder of loan contract, insurance details, etc.

Whatever the outcome, got to get behind whoever replaces him. Without doubt it would be a huge blow if this rumour is true, but far too early to say the season is over.

Even if that's the case, there would be no harm in saying 'he has a knee injury'. Every other loan injury has been casually publicly discussed. Why not this one?

2 hours ago, wood_red said:

And this is exactly why I have put him on ignore (shame you cannot ignore all the quoted posts as well) - the only time I have ever done it to anyone on here. The bloke is a fooking troll and just wants to create friction and argument, because he obviously has nothing better to do with his time.

SAD AS **** FOR A SO CALLED GROWN MAN, posts are more like that of a 13 year old child.

Handy for grooming...

Runs joke through bad taste filter . Posts anyway.

2 hours ago, maxjak said:

Ah| Personal insults...the last resort of the desperate ?

You haven't provided anything to give us any reason to believe you over anyone else and when asked you have not only refused to provide any (and that's all that's been asked really) and instead have derided people yourself.

What evidence do you have?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Out of interest, what type of insurance do clubs have over players?  Do they have injury insurance?

Some do but the premiums are so high that it's rarely worth it. I know that clubs occasionally take out a policy for specific periods, ie if the player is involved for an international tournament, they may enter into it for that period. The club I work for do not have any for individual players at the moment. 

38 minutes ago, TinMan's left peg said:

Indeed. But that is all the more reason why I think the club would say something. I don't mean a lengthy statement but, a brief tweet wishing him well or a clip of some of his goals or something. The club have put quite a lot of stuff on Twitter over the last couple of days and it potentially looks a little insensitive to make no reference to him at all when rumours are flying around.

58 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

What I will say is that if this whole situation is an attempt at mind games by the club, whether he’s injured or fit, eight games into a season then somebody needs to ask them what planet they are living on!!!!

Given the way this place and our fanbase swings I get an uncomfortable feeling this issue will be used as a big stick to smash the club with at some point.

Only my opinion but I think somebody has lost the plot.

I suppose the other side of that is that so many people will be responding to, let alone reading/clicking on our Twitter handle- the engagement stats will be through the roof!

If this is the case though, then it would seem a very short term and perhaps risky game to play though- big stick against the club sounds right.

Since the news broke, had a quick look and not in depth, looks like @BristolCity has been tagged/quoted/tweeted 90 times with the word "Afobe". Unsure how it compares? The engagement stats, the search stats should be pushed up by it though IMO.

11 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Are you suggesting that all this speculation is somehow affecting the squad? Why should it? They all know the truth one way or another.

Not the squad.They won’t be bothered imo. I’m thinking more that the fickle support we have (you only have to read any given Matchday thread) will use this whole scenario to beat the Manager and the Club with if things go wrong tomorrow. We’ve all seen this before!!

• Admin
3 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Not the squad.They won’t be bothered imo. I’m thinking more that the fickle support we have (you only have to read any given Matchday thread) will use this whole scenario to beat the Manager and the Club with if things go wrong tomorrow. We’ve all seen this before!!

I'm not sure how anyone is going to use the injury of a player as a reason to "beat the manager"

If LJ tactically gets it wrong due to the change in forward, then there is grounds for questions to be asked

1 minute ago, phantom said:

I'm not sure how anyone is going to use the injury of a player as a reason to "beat the manager"

If LJ tactically gets it wrong due to the change in forward, then there is grounds for questions to be asked

The point being nothing has been confirmed. When we lose a game lots of obscure things get trotted out by some of the more negative people and something along the lines of “this whole thing was farcical, how did it help the club?” will get mentioned on radio and trotted out on here imo if the worst happens tomorrow!!

Archived