IGNORED

Afobe Out For Season (confirmed)

Sturman 1

31 minutes ago, RedM said:

Gutted for him and us. I feel sick.

All the best Benik, you certainly made a positive impact during your short time you played for us. Speedy recovery.

Couldn’t have put it better myself .

Gutted is the word . Sickening is another .

I would just like to add ;

Thank you footballing barstard gods for screwing us over once again 

On the rather cynical side , at least we didn’t sign him on a permanent deal .

I’m so sorry for  Benik just as he was getting his life and his career back on track this happens.

If we’re feeling bad imagine how the poor bloke feels .

Life is a real bitch sometimes .

Let’s hope he makes a full recovery and goes onto have the career he deserves.

:badmood::grr:

2 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

There wasnt any mountain of evidence though until the announcement on the website. Most people on here were joking about the story, and lack of credible sources or giving people stick for not believing rumours til its on the website. Its all very good giving robbored stick, but if we believed the various news sources then ntekiah would be playing for us tomorrow.

Ok if you so say............. but from looking at the BBC website, listening to Radio Bristol, and speaking to a couple of sports journalists, who don't even live in Bristol, it seemed obvious that poor old Benik had suffered a major injury yesterday.  I took absolutely no pleasure in knowing about it, and I really feel really sorry for him. Just hoping he recovers to play football again.

Gutted for the lad and gutted for us, he seemed to be really enjoying his time here as well. From what we’ve seen in 5 weeks I think the Afobe that Stoke fans saw last season isn’t the player he really is.

I don’t know how these things work but I wonder if this spells the end of his time at Ashton Gate for good, for example would we possibly look at a fully fit Benik Afobe once he gets over this or is it too risky as he’s done it 3 times?

Either way we’ve got to really get behind Fammy, Antoine and AW now.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Would you not play Weimann, bearing in mind the good start to the season he’s had?  Imho, he’s now our number one striker.

Just considering  what options LJ has. Certainly  Weimann is an obvious choice whereas AS could be a surprise factor being largely unknown to opposition defenders.....That said none of us know how AS has been performing up at Failand and maybe LJ will see him as on the subs bench again.

We won’t know until the team announcement tomorrow.

What a gutter that Afobe is injured. He’d made an impressive start to the season for us and seems like a decent guy. Fingers crossed his recovery goes well. 

As others have already stated, now it’s time for Diedhiou to step up. His goal scoring record for us is pretty good, but question marks remain about other aspects of his play (not helped admittedly when he’s been isolated up front). Hopefully his goal at Stoke can be a launchpad for a good season for him. 

48 minutes ago, RedM said:

Gutted for him and us. I feel sick.

All the best Benik, you certainly made a positive impact during your short time you played for us. Speedy recovery.

Me too M

And I guess as many

I actually feel sick

Firstly for the lad who totally embraced our Club and seems a diamond

His message at a time of what must be monstrous dissapointment (And worry whatever he says) speaks absolute volumes

Not sure I’ve taken to a players attitude for a long time

For us as a team just as we were developing nicely with him stretching defences

And for LJ who must wonder whether his ambitions are fated 

Get well soon Benik - You were a joy 

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Is the blanked out word.....better-off?

Joke btw.

LJ needs to show Fam the new level of expectation of a striker alongside Weimann and in-front of Palmer.  Fam does have ability and sublime touches at times.  Needs to be more willing to make runs either for Palmer’s passes or to create space for others.

Lets just see how the next 5/6 games go.  The people of here giving up on our team are likely the very same people bemoaning the loan signing of Afobe.

Football is a strange game, and Fam has a great opportunity to silence the critics.  He ain’t perfect, but we are still a good team.

Yeah agreed, what I find weird is those odd Fam haters are now turning into wanting Semenyo up top by himself to replace Benik...I mean, wtf? Do people genuinely want Semenyo up front solo instead of Fam on Saturday?

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Just considering  what options LJ has. Certainly  Weimann is an obvious choice whereas AS could be a surprise factor being largely unknown to opposition defenders.....That said none of us know how AS has been performing up at Failand and maybe LJ will see him as on the subs bench again.

We won’t know until the team announcement tomorrow.

AS may be doing it in training but in his, admittedly limited, minutes in the first team he hasn't been that impressive.

He is still young, raw and unproven. Hope he turns out to be a star and prove me wrong. I don't really get the hype so far and would rather we played AW up front myself rather than waste him out wide.

12 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Benik will still be around and short term this will make us an even stronger and more united team.

Guess who the lads play for tomorrow?

Think that’s a great idea point Tommy

A Ferguson or a Warnock would try and pull a siege mentality out of this

Difficult but would be a good approach from coaching staff 

and throw down the gauntlet to AW/ FD & AS

Gutted , truly gutted

49 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

As Ive mentioned before, we still have the talent and support to achieve a play-off place.

Convential wisdom went out of the window when unfancied Norwich and Sheffield United won automatic promotion last season.

Why shouldn't it be our turn?

Because the spine of the team is crocked, mate. 

8 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Yeah agreed, what I find weird is those odd Fam haters are now turning into wanting Semenyo up top by himself to replace Benik...I mean, wtf? Do people genuinely want Semenyo up front solo instead of Fam on Saturday?

What’s silly expression

‘Fam Haters’

There’s a fair sprinkling of fans who have concerns or don’t rate him to whatever degree 

Haters ?

Really .......

Not

3 hours ago, Ian M said:

Go and do some actual research then. Something the main two journalists haven't appeared to have done. 

It started doing the rounds on Twitter on Wednesday evening after @bcfcmitch posted that he'd done his ACL. This was shortly after 10pm. About half hour later he deleted this tweet but the story continued.

The next morning, The Post, who had spent half the Summer publishing any tenuous link on Twitter as transfer fact, published a story that he was suspected to have a season ending ACL injury and 30mins later, once in the wild, Peter O'Rourke did similar quoting his "source close to the club" (Gregor?). On Thursday evening the original poster on twitter announced it was a hoax and he couldn't believe how many people fell for it. I have tweeted Gregor 4 times since he took on his role at the Post, he has only failed to reply once. Funnily enough that one time was yesterday when I sent him a screenshot of the originator's admission and asked for his comment on that. 

He isn't injured. 

This is the only post I believed in the whole thread and it turns out you were the one guessing! Sad. 

22 minutes ago, bobbyhutchscurlymullet said:

Maybe it's because I hoping Afobe wasn't actually injured.... But I'm still sceptical about this. 

Not sure how the procedures work for this type of injury, but the website claims he requires surgery. In his video, it looks like he's already had it, and his now back in his hotel room. Unless the injury happened last week, wouldn't benik still be in a hospital bed if the surgery was fairly recent. 

He might naturally be a chipper type person, but also doesn't seem particularly down about it. Might (probably) be way off, but it almost seems to to me that city have played on the hype and played some kind of early /late April fools joke. 

Are you actually serious ?

27 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I am kind of worried about the psychological impact this will have on the rest of the squad.

You see it at games: a penalty missed, or an unfair reffing decision or a bad injury, and the team can become unsettled and start playing badly.

Have to pray Lee has the man management skills to build them up to fight in adverse circumstances, rather than reflect on the bad luck that seems to be following the team at the moment.

Or I guess RR , and not by design we , or more importantly LJ , will see who reacts,  how , and who steps up as leaders , and actually steps up on the pitch 

Small consolation I know !

3 hours ago, Ian M said:

Go and do some actual research then. Something the main two journalists haven't appeared to have done. 

It started doing the rounds on Twitter on Wednesday evening after @bcfcmitch posted that he'd done his ACL. This was shortly after 10pm. About half hour later he deleted this tweet but the story continued.

The next morning, The Post, who had spent half the Summer publishing any tenuous link on Twitter as transfer fact, published a story that he was suspected to have a season ending ACL injury and 30mins later, once in the wild, Peter O'Rourke did similar quoting his "source close to the club" (Gregor?). On Thursday evening the original poster on twitter announced it was a hoax and he couldn't believe how many people fell for it. I have tweeted Gregor 4 times since he took on his role at the Post, he has only failed to reply once. Funnily enough that one time was yesterday when I sent him a screenshot of the originator's admission and asked for his comment on that. 

He isn't injured. 

This aged well.

12 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

AS may be doing it in training but in his, admittedly limited, minutes in the first team he hasn't been that impressive.

He is still young, raw and unproven. Hope he turns out to be a star and prove me wrong. I don't really get the hype so far and would rather we played AW up front myself rather than waste him out wide.

AS has in and around the matchday squad home and away and gradually been introduced to the way things are done at an established Championship club - same as Szmodics who like AS have been used to lower league ways.

Clearly AS and SS are both rated by LJ and his assistants and surely it can’t be much longer before one or both them start for City and now with Afobe out injured AS must be a consideration.

Sure, he’s raw and obviously unproven but every player is when they first feature. AS will start sometime and this could/might/ possibly be the time.

30 minutes ago, petehinton said:

People seem to also be forgetting Weimann, who’s played every game so far in the league up top...apart from Hull where he played in behind Afobe / Diedhiou. 

for me Weimann is first pick, then Diedhiou as his first choice partner then Semenyo. I don’t think Diedhiou and Weimann work well together.  But then again they’ve never played in a two as part of a 5212 before....so who knows!

Antoine is raw. Full stop. He’s gonna get minutes now, but he needs to be more proactive in his movement.

Lets see where we are in half a dozen games time.  

NB - club say torn ACL rather than ruptured. Still will require op, but at least one positive in a shit piece of news. 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Could be the time for AS to fill the void.

He’ll be an unknown quantity to the opposition defenders......I’m not suggesting he should start ahead of Famara but possibly alongside him.........we’ll know tomorrow for sure.

An unknown quantity to the opposition defenders.... That's just an unfounded rumour about an unfounded rumour. ?

Afobe 2 in 5 starts for us excluding the penalty, very good record.

Diedhiou 27 in 66, despite what his detractors say, also a very good record.

I only saw Afobe v Boro but on first impressions I didn’t see him as a massive upgrade, more mobile but worse in the air.

Its a shame to lose the strength in depth but I don’t see Diedhiou replacing Afobe as significantly weakening the team. Presumably we’ll have to play a little differently, more Eliasson, less Palmer as an example but come on let’s get behind the big man up front.

Archived