IGNORED

Afobe Out For Season (confirmed)

Sturman 1

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

People seem to also be forgetting Weimann, who’s played every game so far in the league up top...apart from Hull where he played in behind Afobe / Diedhiou. 

for me Weimann is first pick, then Diedhiou as his first choice partner then Semenyo. I don’t think Diedhiou and Weimann work well together.  But then again they’ve never played in a two as part of a 5212 before....so who knows!

Antoine is raw. Full stop. He’s gonna get minutes now, but he needs to be more proactive in his movement.

Lets see where we are in half a dozen games time.  

NB - club say torn ACL rather than ruptured. Still will require op, but at least one positive in a shit piece of news. 

I think LJ will bring someone in, we needed a different option before Afobe, we still need a different option now.

Lets not forget this was supposed to be our season for the big push financially.

Just wonder if Semenyo could do a Bobby Reid given the chance.

As to the injury, Career threatening is not an exaggeration I’m led to believe, don’t think there are any positives from it.

If we are still thereabouts come Christmas I will be delighted and amazed in equal measure.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Is the blanked out word.....better-off?

Joke btw.

LJ needs to show Fam the new level of expectation of a striker alongside Weimann and in-front of Palmer.  Fam does have ability and sublime touches at times.  Needs to be more willing to make runs either for Palmer’s passes or to create space for others.

Lets just see how the next 5/6 games go.  The people of here giving up on our team are likely the very same people bemoaning the loan signing of Afobe.

Football is a strange game, and Fam has a great opportunity to silence the critics.  He ain’t perfect, but we are still a good team.

I agree with you the lack of respect to fam really grates me, it appears he is settled in this country and enjoys being part of the squad, I really do hope Lee can play two upfront as I felt sorry for fam that when he was dropped we immediately played someone upfront alongside Afobe.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

What’s silly expression

‘Fam Haters’

There’s a fair sprinkling of fans who have concerns or don’t rate him to whatever degree 

Haters ?

Really .......

Not

I would say on here that is true, but there are a section of the AG crowd that could certainly be termed that way, the absolute melts who cheered him being subbed against Leeds and we're giving him plenty of stick before hand, I would say are not people just don't rate him. 

No problem with people not rating players but we have as long as I have been going had a section of our support who will always decide on a scapegoat and get on their back almost no matter what. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

People seem to also be forgetting Weimann, who’s played every game so far in the league up top...apart from Hull where he played in behind Afobe / Diedhiou. 

for me Weimann is first pick, then Diedhiou as his first choice partner then Semenyo. I don’t think Diedhiou and Weimann work well together.  But then again they’ve never played in a two as part of a 5212 before....so who knows!

Antoine is raw. Full stop. He’s gonna get minutes now, but he needs to be more proactive in his movement.

Lets see where we are in half a dozen games time.  

NB - club say torn ACL rather than ruptured. Still will require op, but at least one positive in a shit piece of news. 

Andi and Fam did look good against Derby in preseason for that 45 minutes in a 352/5212 with Sammie behind them.

Fam scored goals in preseason and looked sharp, and scored 2 in 3 starts this season in all comps.

It may be a system that means Weimann and Diedhiou can look good together, which they have not so far in a 442. Weimann more up top, and not being a link player which he has to be in a 442, which isn't his game.

And it may also mean Palmer looks good behind Fam, which so far he hasn't either. Was very poor behind Fam last season. But now he won't need to support Fam so much with Weimann up there.

I do wonder how a few other combinations would do that doesn't include Fam. But LJ bound to go with Fam. 

Let's not forget, Fam would surely have scored 20 goals the season before last had he not been out so long. So far this season when playing in a 2, like 2 seasons ago, he has a similar goals to minute ratio to that goal every 180. 

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

What’s silly expression

‘Fam Haters’

There’s a fair sprinkling of fans who have concerns or don’t rate him to whatever degree 

Haters ?

Really .......

Not

I think with at the time him being our record signing some people me included if I'm being totally honest expected a bit more, people say we don't play to his strenghts well does anybody really know what they are and if they do then why haven't we?

1 hour ago, Countryfile said:

Just wonder if Semenyo could do a Bobby Reid given the chance.

Bobby Reid was already a top midfield player for us, consistently demonstrating control, composure and running.

Moving him to striker was inspired but it simply does not happen to players who are just starting out.

AS has not yet shown anything like the consistency of Bobby - who remember was still finding his feet in the SOD days (when he was first breaking through).

Very sadly this is wishful thinking.

Gutted with this news.  No matter how you package it we are a weaker team today then we were on Monday.  Let’s hope the few strikers we have left stay suspension and injury free.  Frustrating as it felt like this season things were falling into place.  Nothing we can do about it now except regroup and go again.

46 minutes ago, phantom said:

As Bony is unattached and assumedly only training an hour away is he an option to bring in until January (or longer if he succeeds)?

Think he went to (signed for) Brighton recently...may be wrong. Wrong type of player as he is better with his back to goal. We need an Afobe type striker playing on the shoulder of the last defender.

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Just so gutted about this. Really felt this was our best shot at the top division in my 30 years watching City and Afobe was one of the big reasons for that.

Can’t help feeling that, on balance, we’re now scarcely stronger than last season and will probably finish somewhere similar. Hope I’m wrong.

Sadly I think you are right. Missing Afobe is more of a setback than either DaSilva or Kalas injuries for me. Will be a real struggle to maintain a top 6 place now, and apart from taking a punt on someone ooc like Bony, we can't do anything about it until January. Gutted for player and us.

3 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Just so gutted about this. Really felt this was our best shot at the top division in my 30 years watching City and Afobe was one of the big reasons for that.

Can’t help feeling that, on balance, we’re now scarcely stronger than last season and will probably finish somewhere similar. Hope I’m wrong.

My thoughts exactly, with Fam leading the line we are massively weaker than with the pacy 2 footed Afobe.... 

People are saying we should stick, I disagree, we need a replacement and now!

14 minutes ago, KeepUpLino said:

My thoughts exactly, with Fam leading the line we are massively weaker than with the pacy 2 footed Afobe.... 

Do you really think it is that easy to find a player of the quality of Afobe who just so happens to be out of contract ?

57 minutes ago, KeepUpLino said:

You are living in Lala world. Transfer window is shut - the only players going are out of contract. For a reason.

you won’t replace Benik until January so it’s Fam and Semenyo. Get your head around it

2 hours ago, Spud55 said:

I would say on here that is true, but there are a section of the AG crowd that could certainly be termed that way, the absolute melts who cheered him being subbed against Leeds and we're giving him plenty of stick before hand, I would say are not people just don't rate him. 

No problem with people not rating players but we have as long as I have been going had a section of our support who will always decide on a scapegoat and get on their back almost no matter what. 

Feed the scapegoat and he will score?

Think we have scored more goals this season due to 3 at back and 2 up front not just down to Benik. We have Fam, Semenyo, Weimaan and Sammie. I am more than happy that any 2 pairing from those 4 will be a real handful for any team in this division without the need to bring in any panic buy now or even in January. We have Jenneh to come back which will be a further boost to the squad.

Archived