IGNORED

Afobe Out For Season (confirmed)

Sturman 1

Semenyo has qualities but even LJ has acknowledged he needs to get his tap ins and get into goal scoring positions in the penalty box.

I think Janneh is probably the most natural and instinctive goal scorer at the club right now although obviously he's untested at this level.  He looked incredibly eager and gave a couple of man of the match displays pre-season.  It's a pity he's not available until end of year at the earliest as sometimes these opportunities from sad circumstances can bring on new young stars..  

20 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

Think we have scored more goals this season due to 3 at back and 2 up front not just down to Benik. We have Fam, Semenyo, Weimaan and Sammie. I am more than happy that any 2 pairing from those 4 will be a real handful for any team in this division without the need to bring in any panic buy now or even in January. We have Jenneh to come back which will be a further boost to the squad.

The real shame about Afobe's injury is that it comes at the same time as we are without Kalas, Saliva and Nagy.

We would be a handful for any team in this division with a fit first choice defence and our all new midfield signings available. Yes, losing Afobe is a blow because he's fitted in so well and has been looking so good, but it's the supply coming from midfield that could really make the difference and Weimann and Famara are more than capable of prospering from it.

The real concern for me is that I think Afobe has been a major factor in Kasey Palmers form this season. I don’t dislike Diedhiou but Afobe is far more mobile. He gives Palmer the opportunity to play his passes. He stretches the opposition defence and allows Palmer more space to play in and on top of all that, they seemed to get on so well on and off the pitch.

I don’t think it’s quite as simple as “we’ll miss his goals”. I think it’s a massive blow to the way we have been playing too.

22 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Well thats the end of that then

Fair shout...  if our management team can’t find a better replacement than tha inadequate Fammy I’d be amazed... Honestly my touch is 10 times better than his!!! 

2 minutes ago, Kibs said:

The real concern for me is that I think Afobe has been a major factor in Kasey Palmers form this season. I don’t dislike Diedhiou but Afobe is far more mobile. He gives Palmer the opportunity to play his passes. He stretches the opposition defence and allows Palmer more space to play in and on top of all that, they seemed to get on so well on and off the pitch.

I don’t think it’s quite as simple as “we’ll miss his goals”. I think it’s a massive blow to the way we have been playing too.

100% mate ??

Robbored

• The forum pantomime dame and happy troll
  • Robbored
  • OTIB Supporter
  • 32,862 posts

So.........it looks as if the Afobe injured was a complete twitter wind up - now there’s a surprise.........not!

Im really looking forward to a plethora of apologies from those who slagged me off as an ‘attention seeking troll’............

Back at you Robbored.......Start your apologies now to everyone who were correct with their wild speculation. It has to work both ways I'm afraid.......

49 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

Think we have scored more goals this season due to 3 at back and 2 up front not just down to Benik. We have Fam, Semenyo, Weimaan and Sammie. I am more than happy that any 2 pairing from those 4 will be a real handful for any team in this division without the need to bring in any panic buy now or even in January. We have Jenneh to come back which will be a further boost to the squad.

Firstly, I hope Benik has a swift and full recovery, it must be devastating for the lad.

But really Semanyo and Sammie? The first, whilst young, has shown he is not a ‘ natural’ finisher - that may come, but he is a young lad and needs a load of time.

In my opinion Sammie, was a ‘punt’ he may well become another Eisa, he may not, but we are playing at an elite level now, like it or not, that is the truth, we expect top 6 and more importantly the owner does too. 

This injury is a huge blow for all concerned and we have to hope that we get to January in contention and bring someone in.

12 minutes ago, KeepUpLino said:

Fair shout...  if our management team can’t find a better replacement than tha inadequate Fammy I’d be amazed... Honestly my touch is 10 times better than his!!! 

100% mate ??

Why not point our management team in the right direction? You name them with their price tags and availability. Thanks

2 minutes ago, wood_red said:

Robbored

• The forum pantomime dame and happy troll
  • Robbored
  • OTIB Supporter
  • 32,862 posts

So.........it looks as if the Afobe injured was a complete twitter wind up - now there’s a surprise.........not!

Im really looking forward to a plethora of apologies from those who slagged me off as an ‘attention seeking troll’............

Back at you Robbored.......Start your apologies now to everyone who were correct with their wild speculation. It has to work both ways I'm afraid.......

Ffs honestly, who gives a ****?!

57 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

Semenyo has qualities but even LJ has acknowledged he needs to get his tap ins and get into goal scoring positions in the penalty box.

I think Janneh is probably the most natural and instinctive goal scorer at the club right now although obviously he's untested at this level.  He looked incredibly eager and gave a couple of man of the match displays pre-season.  It's a pity he's not available until end of year at the earliest as sometimes these opportunities from sad circumstances can bring on new young stars..  

A couple of years we got one waiting in the under23s lous Britton goal machine .

1 minute ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Yes mate i know Tinnion and the coaching staff are really impressed with what theyve seen and only just eighteen.

Good enough endorsement for me. Just the fact he's gone from basically playing Sunday league to our U23s at the age of 18 tells you he's got a bit about him. 

58 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Firstly, I hope Benik has a swift and full recovery, it must be devastating for the lad.

But really Semanyo and Sammie? The first, whilst young, has shown he is not a ‘ natural’ finisher - that may come, but he is a young lad and needs a load of time.

In my opinion Sammie, was a ‘punt’ he may well become another Eisa, he may not, but we are playing at an elite level now, like it or not, that is the truth, we expect top 6 and more importantly the owner does too. 

This injury is a huge blow for all concerned and we have to hope that we get to January in contention and bring someone in.

Think both Semenyo and Sammie will turn out to be a huge part of a massive season for us. Semenyo is a natural goalscorer and just needs games as did Bobby Reid and Sammie is more than capable of finding the net. Think they will both be involved tomorrow and show what they are made of against a top side.

6 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Yes mate i know Tinnion and the coaching staff are really impressed with what theyve seen and only just eighteen.

Some of his finishes in a video clip were absolute class at any level.

10 minutes ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

Its totally ridiculous that the emergency loan window was got rid of. It wasnt perfect but at least it gave clubs some options, whereas now a couple of injuries to players in the same position can ruin the season. Imagine if Fammy got injured too...

But replacing Afobe wouldn’t be considered an ‘emergency’ when you’ve got Weimann, Semenyo and Diedhiou in the squad. 

13 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Bobby Reid was already a top midfield player for us, consistently demonstrating control, composure and running.

Moving him to striker was inspired but it simply does not happen to players who are just starting out.

AS has not yet shown anything like the consistency of Bobby - who remember was still finding his feet in the SOD days (when he was first breaking through).

Very sadly this is wishful thinking.

Bobby only started 34 of the 92 games in the previous two seasons before he was tried out as a striker  - not sure that made him a top midfield player for us. But I agree he was a more established squad member than AS. Just hope we can pull another rabbit out of the hat and suddenly find a 19 goal striker from within the ranks as we did with Bobby. Probably a forlorn hope but you never know! 

Archived