Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Sturman 1

Afobe Out For Season (confirmed)

5 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

Source?

• Haha 2

I like to think that Benik has been called into the club and the media team has wrapped a big fat off bandage on his leg and given him an old crooked walking stick and filmed a new gif ready for his goal celebration on Saturday.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

I would have Weimann up front, Palmer behind and Eliasson and Callum O' Dowda on wings. Were so anti football with Diedhiou on the pitch. 

Weimann in championship 169 appearances and 27 goals.

fam in championship 77 appearances 27 goals

i appreciate that a lot of weimanns appearances have not been upfront but how fam is underrated by our fan base despite a better than 1 in 3 hit rate is beyond me

i back the big man...he is an unsung hero and if he has someone alongside him will be a 15-20 goal a season striker.

• Like 10

We have to back Fam. I’m a fan of his but fully aware he’s had some poor performances. That doesn’t mean we should overlook all his very good ones. Plus his scoring record at this level speaks for itself.

Dream scenario, he scores a winner Saturday and he’s our new hero by tea time. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Weimann in PREMIER league - 113 appearances 17 goals

.... Weimann has consistently been pushed out wide though - not really comparing like for like ....

Edited by BS4 on Tour...

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Fam in championship - 75 appearances 26 goals 

.... Weimann has consistently been pushed out wide though - not really comparing like for like ....

Fam has 27 goals including last Saturday...as I said I know Weismann has been pushed out wide but he has also played a lot of games upfront, I was just suggesting fam is underrated.

weimann played quite a few games upfront alongside benteke at villa if I remember, I would put fam over Weimann as it stands and think Lee would agree

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

i appreciate that a lot of weimanns appearances have not been upfront but how fam is underrated by our fan base despite a better than 1 in 3 hit rate is beyond me

i back the big man...he is an unsung hero and if he has someone alongside him will be a 15-20 goal a season striker.

👀👀👀.. he really isn’t that great and I’ll be amazed if we’re a success with him leading the line... Simply isn’t gonna happen!!

1 minute ago, MC RISK77 said:

Fam has 27 goals including last Saturday...as I said I know Weismann has been pushed out wide but he has also played a lot of games upfront, I was just suggesting fam is underrated.

weimann played quite a few games upfront alongside benteke at villa if I remember, I would put fam over Weimann as it stands and think Lee would agree

I'm not sure that LJ would agree with you now we have Palmer.

Weimanns movement up front is made for Palmer (same for Afobe).

In comparison, Diedhiou is a statue (and one that missed the greatest number of clear cut chances in the division last season).

• Like 4

Sometimes the club like to try and find out who is leaking information.

From personnel experience I know that they do like to put out fake rumours sometimes to see if they can find culprits. As we are currently out of transfer season this could be a way.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Yeh, apologies, realised my stats were out of date so edited the post, too late though ... I think, if the planets aligned on a certain day Fam and Andi could be a great partnership - but we’ve yet to see it really. Benik and Andi with Kasey behind them was really exciting me .... oh well ...

2 minutes ago, boatman said:

From personnel experience I know that they do like to put out fake rumours sometimes to see if they can find culprits. As we are currently out of transfer season this could be a way.

It wouldn't be the first time as you say.

But Afobe isn't our player so to use him in that way would be a bit disrespectful to Stoke imo.

Can't see it personally.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, boatman said:

Yes but when reliable(ish) journos claim to have corroborated the info, I think you have to accept that this is real. Particularly with the gagging order after the Swansea presser.

12 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

As an aside mate as much as I am really didsapointed in Benik being injured his record in championship is 43 goals in 148 appearances at a rate of a 3.5 games per goal which is worse than fam currently tracking at...not saying everyone is wrong but what I am trying to say is fam has a very reasonable scoring record at this level 

all about opinions and mine is not necessarily right, just don’t get the critics of fam

• Like 1

This is just getting plain weird now. 

Think I'll switch off and concentrate on my  Hendrix tunes from Woodstock ▶️

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

Yes but when reliable(ish) journos claim to have corroborated the info, I think you have to accept that this is real. Particularly with the gagging order after the Swansea presser.

What gagging order ?

5 minutes ago, boatman said:

Are you saying that Afobe isn't injured then. Suggesting that the club has gone as far as allowing the BBC to publish fake news? I really can't see them letting it go that far. I think this is wishful thinking.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

What gagging order ?

Was mentioned in the Stoke press conference but apparently under embargo so could not be reported.....or some crazy stuff like that.

1 minute ago, BlokeCDP said:

Was mentioned in the Stoke press conference but apparently under embargo so could not be reported.....or some crazy stuff like that.

It does seem bizarre

5 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

As an aside mate as much as I am really didsapointed in Benik being injured his record in championship is 43 goals in 148 appearances at a rate of a 3.5 games per goal which is worse than fam currently tracking at...not saying everyone is wrong but what I am trying to say is fam has a very reasonable scoring record at this level 

all about opinions and mine is not necessarily right, just don’t get the critics of fam

I reckon Benik has played more championship games than 148 - but your point still stands mate ...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mozo said:

It does seem bizarre

As speculated - possibly could be waiting on proper scan results yadda yadda yadda, but found it very strange.

9 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I'm not sure that LJ would agree with you now we have Palmer.

Weimanns movement up front is made for Palmer (same for Afobe).

In comparison, Diedhiou is a statue (and one that missed the greatest number of clear cut chances in the division last season).

Missed the most clear cut chances in the division whilst being a statue? That really doesn't make sense - do you think we are just outstandingly creative?

I think we have a habit on here of turning on players when it looks like they may be on the way out or when we have someone better now in. This happened with Flint and Fielding to give other recent examples. Its fine to say Afobe is a better player but we don't need to trash Fammy to make that point. He has been loyal and made no fuss about being dropped clearly loves playing for the club and seems all round like a great bloke. 

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

**** me 16 pages?! Really cant be arsed to scroll through. Is the kiddy injured or not? A simple yes no or maybe will suffice😂

1 minute ago, bris red said:

**** me 16 pages?! Really cant be arsed to scroll through. Is the kiddy injured or not? A simple yes no or maybe will suffice😂

Well....

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

Missed the most clear cut chances in the division whilst being a statue? That really doesn't make sense - do you think we are just outstandingly creative?

I think we have a habit on here of turning on players when it looks like they may be on the way out or when we have someone better now in. This happened with Flint and Fielding to give other recent examples. Its fine to say Afobe is a better player but we don't need to trash Fammy to make that point. He has been loyal and made no fuss about being dropped clearly loves playing for the club and seems all round like a great bloke. 

Hardly.

Other than the exaggerations about Frankie's kicking. 

3 minutes ago, bris red said:

Maybe 

5 minutes ago, bris red said:

Probably.

8 minutes ago, bris red said:

Yes. No. Maybe.

Depends who you ask.

5 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

Not sure what the bit in bold has got to do with anything tbh. I know a quite a few great blokes who would love to play for City but they won't.

He may very well be a very nice man but he is not mobile enough, he is practically static. 

And yes, he missed the most clear cut chances in the championship - top in that respect, or bottom whichever way you look at it.

Its not trashing him, its stating an opinion and you and others are entitled to disagree.

Its not as if I would boo the bloke in the stadium or give him grief, just stating an opinion.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

I’d listen to what the coaching staff have said about where we fell down last season and the bit about chances created ,

and missed 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Not sure what the bit in bold has got to do with anything tbh. I know a quite a few great blokes who would love to play for City but they won't.

He may very well be a very nice man but he is not mobile enough, he is practically static. 

And yes, he missed the most clear cut chances in the championship - top in that respect, or bottom whichever way you look at it.

Its not trashing him, its stating an opinion and you and others are entitled to disagree.

Its not as if I would boo the bloke in the stadium or give him grief, just stating an opinion.

Given how many goals he scored, add in the number of chances he missed, that’s one hell of a static player.  I think most managers would say that the most important thing is to be consistently in a position to make an attempt at goal.  How many goals did Benik Adobe score last season?

Far from him being static, I remember a good number of Famara’s goals coming from very good movement.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Given how many goals he scored, add in the number of chances he missed, that’s one hell of a static player.  I think most managers would say that the most important thing is to be consistently in a position to make an attempt at goal.  How many goals did Benik Adobe score last season?

Far from him being static, I remember a good number of Famara’s goals coming from very good movement.

He's practically static imo.

If he wasn't he would have scored a hell of a lot more than he did.

We needed an upgrade and we got one...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

He's practically static imo.

If he wasn't he would have scored a hell of a lot more than he did.

We needed an upgrade and we got one...

For me, he seems to be on his ‘heels’ a lot...very reactive to through balls, and therefore looks slow, rather than making runs and being ‘on the front foot’. That’s the difference with Benik, he plays on the shoulder and is looking to make runs and is proactive, so is viewed as more mobile.

3 minutes ago, WestonRobin said:

For me, he seems to be on his ‘heels’ a lot...very reactive to through balls, and therefore looks slow, rather than making runs and being ‘on the front foot’. That’s the difference with Benik, he plays on the shoulder and is looking to make runs and is proactive, so is viewed as more mobile.

Not just me then :)

• Like 1

Is by far the most logical answer to all this simply that he has taken a knock in training, looks serious, but the club are not wanting to say anything until they actually know what it is? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Is by far the most logical answer to all this simply that he has taken a knock in training, looks serious, but the club are not wanting to say anything until they actually know what it is? 

Blasphemy!!

55 minutes ago, mozo said:

Oh well we shall just have to wait and see.

10 minutes ago, cityexile said:

You don't get much of a thread out of that though!

Since when did OTIB do logical?

Edited by downendcity

14 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Absolutely this. Nothing concrete will be said until they know the full extent of the injury. Not expecting good news though.

8 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

Absolutely this. Nothing concrete will be said until they know the full extent of the injury. Not expecting good news though.

As said in previous post, unfortunate it’s a ACL injury, I’m not one for spreading rumours as my post history will show but it’s a freak accident in training and hopefully he recovers well. It’s shocking bad luck, hopefully we can get a loan if at all possible 

10 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

As said in previous post, unfortunate it’s a ACL injury, I’m not one for spreading rumours as my post history will show but it’s a freak accident in training and hopefully he recovers well. It’s shocking bad luck, hopefully we can get a loan if at all possible 

Loan window is shut until January as well. 

• Sad 1

Diedhiou may have a better goals per game record than Weimann but the latter brings more to the side as a whole. The clever early runs, the movement, the intensity off the ball ie his pressing and work rate.

Better technically than Diedhiou too abd will link more readily with Palmer, O'Dowda and Eliasson- abd if by some miracle he's fit, Afobe- he can move around the front line too, more likely to he able to pop up as a wider forward than Diedhiou.

Not knocking Diedhiou, he has his uses- and seems to do quite well away from home.

Also don't think we've seen/got the best from him during his time here, the lone striker role in the way we setup was pretty thankless. As being played on the wing was for Weimann and Pack being played in a 2 didn't necessarily help him.

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

What gagging order ?

1 hour ago, BlokeCDP said:

OMG, we've got enough problems without publicising the blow-job scandal....

( ohh, dammit, I hope I haven't accidently let a cat out of a bag or started a rumour, I think I've said enough on this subject and won't comment further  🤐 )