Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Sturman 1

Afobe Out For Season (confirmed)

3 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Just so gutted about this. Really felt this was our best shot at the top division in my 30 years watching City and Afobe was one of the big reasons for that.

Can’t help feeling that, on balance, we’re now scarcely stronger than last season and will probably finish somewhere similar. Hope I’m wrong.

My thoughts exactly, with Fam leading the line we are massively weaker than with the pacy 2 footed Afobe.... 

People are saying we should stick, I disagree, we need a replacement and now!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, KeepUpLino said:

My thoughts exactly, with Fam leading the line we are massively weaker than with the pacy 2 footed Afobe.... 

Out of interest who would you go for 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KeepUpLino said:

Do you really think it is that easy to find a player of the quality of Afobe who just so happens to be out of contract ?

• Like 2

Thank you Benik for your absolute commitment.

I look forward to seeing you marauding through opposition defences again soon at Ashton Gate

giphy.gif

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, KeepUpLino said:

You are living in Lala world. Transfer window is shut - the only players going are out of contract. For a reason.

you won’t replace Benik until January so it’s Fam and Semenyo. Get your head around it

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Spud55 said:

I would say on here that is true, but there are a section of the AG crowd that could certainly be termed that way, the absolute melts who cheered him being subbed against Leeds and we're giving him plenty of stick before hand, I would say are not people just don't rate him. 

No problem with people not rating players but we have as long as I have been going had a section of our support who will always decide on a scapegoat and get on their back almost no matter what. 

Feed the scapegoat and he will score?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Think we have scored more goals this season due to 3 at back and 2 up front not just down to Benik. We have Fam, Semenyo, Weimaan and Sammie. I am more than happy that any 2 pairing from those 4 will be a real handful for any team in this division without the need to bring in any panic buy now or even in January. We have Jenneh to come back which will be a further boost to the squad.

34 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

You are living in Lala world. Transfer window is shut - the only players going are out of contract. For a reason.

you won’t replace Benik until January so it’s Fam and Semenyo. Get your head around it

There are some players who could do a job!?

Semenyo has qualities but even LJ has acknowledged he needs to get his tap ins and get into goal scoring positions in the penalty box.

I think Janneh is probably the most natural and instinctive goal scorer at the club right now although obviously he's untested at this level.  He looked incredibly eager and gave a couple of man of the match displays pre-season.  It's a pity he's not available until end of year at the earliest as sometimes these opportunities from sad circumstances can bring on new young stars..  

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

Think we have scored more goals this season due to 3 at back and 2 up front not just down to Benik. We have Fam, Semenyo, Weimaan and Sammie. I am more than happy that any 2 pairing from those 4 will be a real handful for any team in this division without the need to bring in any panic buy now or even in January. We have Jenneh to come back which will be a further boost to the squad.

The real shame about Afobe's injury is that it comes at the same time as we are without Kalas, Saliva and Nagy.

We would be a handful for any team in this division with a fit first choice defence and our all new midfield signings available. Yes, losing Afobe is a blow because he's fitted in so well and has been looking so good, but it's the supply coming from midfield that could really make the difference and Weimann and Famara are more than capable of prospering from it.

• Like 1

The real concern for me is that I think Afobe has been a major factor in Kasey Palmers form this season. I don’t dislike Diedhiou but Afobe is far more mobile. He gives Palmer the opportunity to play his passes. He stretches the opposition defence and allows Palmer more space to play in and on top of all that, they seemed to get on so well on and off the pitch.

I don’t think it’s quite as simple as “we’ll miss his goals”. I think it’s a massive blow to the way we have been playing too.

Edited by Kibs
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Well thats the end of that then

Fair shout...  if our management team can’t find a better replacement than tha inadequate Fammy I’d be amazed... Honestly my touch is 10 times better than his!!! 

2 minutes ago, Kibs said:

The real concern for me is that I think Afobe has been a major factor in Kasey Palmers form this season. I don’t dislike Diedhiou but Afobe is far more mobile. He gives Palmer the opportunity to play his passes. He stretches the opposition defence and allows Palmer more space to play in and on top of all that, they seemed to get on so well on and off the pitch.

I don’t think it’s quite as simple as “we’ll miss his goals”. I think it’s a massive blow to the way we have been playing too.

100% mate 👍🏻

• Like 2

Robbored

• The forum pantomime dame and happy troll
  • Robbored
  • OTIB Supporter
  • 32,862 posts

So.........it looks as if the Afobe injured was a complete twitter wind up - now there’s a surprise.........not!

Im really looking forward to a plethora of apologies from those who slagged me off as an ‘attention seeking troll’............

Back at you Robbored.......Start your apologies now to everyone who were correct with their wild speculation. It has to work both ways I'm afraid.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

Firstly, I hope Benik has a swift and full recovery, it must be devastating for the lad.

But really Semanyo and Sammie? The first, whilst young, has shown he is not a ‘ natural’ finisher - that may come, but he is a young lad and needs a load of time.

In my opinion Sammie, was a ‘punt’ he may well become another Eisa, he may not, but we are playing at an elite level now, like it or not, that is the truth, we expect top 6 and more importantly the owner does too. 

This injury is a huge blow for all concerned and we have to hope that we get to January in contention and bring someone in.

12 minutes ago, KeepUpLino said:

Fair shout...  if our management team can’t find a better replacement than tha inadequate Fammy I’d be amazed... Honestly my touch is 10 times better than his!!! 

100% mate 👍🏻

Why not point our management team in the right direction? You name them with their price tags and availability. Thanks

2 minutes ago, wood_red said:

Robbored

• The forum pantomime dame and happy troll
  • Robbored
  • OTIB Supporter
  • 32,862 posts

So.........it looks as if the Afobe injured was a complete twitter wind up - now there’s a surprise.........not!

Im really looking forward to a plethora of apologies from those who slagged me off as an ‘attention seeking troll’............

Back at you Robbored.......Start your apologies now to everyone who were correct with their wild speculation. It has to work both ways I'm afraid.......

Ffs honestly, who gives a ****?!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, downendcity said:

[Snip...] we are without Kalas, Saliva and Nagy.

Not sure I'm familiar with all of those players, but I'm sure we'd be drooling if we had them fit and playing 🤤

• Haha 4

57 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

Semenyo has qualities but even LJ has acknowledged he needs to get his tap ins and get into goal scoring positions in the penalty box.

I think Janneh is probably the most natural and instinctive goal scorer at the club right now although obviously he's untested at this level.  He looked incredibly eager and gave a couple of man of the match displays pre-season.  It's a pity he's not available until end of year at the earliest as sometimes these opportunities from sad circumstances can bring on new young stars..  

A couple of years we got one waiting in the under23s lous Britton goal machine .

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

8 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

A couple of years we got one waiting in the under23s lous Britton goal machine .

Genuinely. Glad someone else is excited for Britton.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Yes mate i know Tinnion and the coaching staff are really impressed with what theyve seen and only just eighteen.

Good enough endorsement for me. Just the fact he's gone from basically playing Sunday league to our U23s at the age of 18 tells you he's got a bit about him. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Yes his Dads my mate 😂

Will be an exciting few years for the family. I've got a bit of hope that Britton is the recipient of the customary "Lee Johnson gives a young player a debut at the end of season" award.

11 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Will be an exciting few years for the family. I've got a bit of hope that Britton is the recipient of the customary "Lee Johnson gives a young player a debut at the end of season" award.

Yes hes getting all the rave reviews from Tins and others we will wait an see 👍

3 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Yes hes getting all the rave reviews from Tins and others we will wait an see 👍

Does he play in the same style as his dad?  I played with Geoff at Odd Down for a season.

58 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Firstly, I hope Benik has a swift and full recovery, it must be devastating for the lad.

But really Semanyo and Sammie? The first, whilst young, has shown he is not a ‘ natural’ finisher - that may come, but he is a young lad and needs a load of time.

In my opinion Sammie, was a ‘punt’ he may well become another Eisa, he may not, but we are playing at an elite level now, like it or not, that is the truth, we expect top 6 and more importantly the owner does too. 

This injury is a huge blow for all concerned and we have to hope that we get to January in contention and bring someone in.

Think both Semenyo and Sammie will turn out to be a huge part of a massive season for us. Semenyo is a natural goalscorer and just needs games as did Bobby Reid and Sammie is more than capable of finding the net. Think they will both be involved tomorrow and show what they are made of against a top side.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Yes mate i know Tinnion and the coaching staff are really impressed with what theyve seen and only just eighteen.

Some of his finishes in a video clip were absolute class at any level.

• Like 2

Its totally ridiculous that the emergency loan window was got rid of. It wasnt perfect but at least it gave clubs some options, whereas now a couple of injuries to players in the same position can ruin the season. Imagine if Fammy got injured too...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

Its totally ridiculous that the emergency loan window was got rid of. It wasnt perfect but at least it gave clubs some options, whereas now a couple of injuries to players in the same position can ruin the season. Imagine if Fammy got injured too...

But replacing Afobe wouldn’t be considered an ‘emergency’ when you’ve got Weimann, Semenyo and Diedhiou in the squad. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Coppello said:

But replacing Afobe wouldn’t be considered an ‘emergency’ when you’ve got Weimann, Semenyo and Diedhiou in the squad. 

Exactly.  The only players I can remember us signing on an emergency loan was John Ruddy in 2007.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Bobby Reid was already a top midfield player for us, consistently demonstrating control, composure and running.

Moving him to striker was inspired but it simply does not happen to players who are just starting out.

AS has not yet shown anything like the consistency of Bobby - who remember was still finding his feet in the SOD days (when he was first breaking through).

Very sadly this is wishful thinking.

Bobby only started 34 of the 92 games in the previous two seasons before he was tried out as a striker  - not sure that made him a top midfield player for us. But I agree he was a more established squad member than AS. Just hope we can pull another rabbit out of the hat and suddenly find a 19 goal striker from within the ranks as we did with Bobby. Probably a forlorn hope but you never know! 

On 18/09/2019 at 22:01, Robbored said:

Jeez...........:facepalm:

Who gives a shit about an unfounded rumour?

Get a life ffs..........

On 18/09/2019 at 22:11, Robbored said:

Hang on! 

Theres a thread on here about an unfounded rumour about an unfounded rumour.........:cool2:

All Im saying is who gives a shit about an unfounded rumour about an a unfounded rumour?     :dunno:

Ffs......this place sometimes is utterly ludicrous.

On 18/09/2019 at 22:12, Robbored said:

It’s wild speculation and rumour. Forget it and move on.

On 18/09/2019 at 22:31, Robbored said:

It’s all made up bollocks aimed at the gullible...............:cool2:

On 18/09/2019 at 22:43, Robbored said:

So what thread is that?  

As far as I can tell it’s about and unfounded rumour about an unfounded rumour aimed at the gullible.

On 18/09/2019 at 22:52, Robbored said:

The OS doesn’t post rumours so I suggest that posters visit the OS to see what’s actually happening at AG - but I guess that’s too sensible for some posters.........

On 18/09/2019 at 23:21, Robbored said:

So it’s acceptable to discuss unfounded rumours about unfounded rumours?  

Personally I think that’s utterly ludicrous - as others can tell!

On 18/09/2019 at 23:29, Robbored said:

It’s nothing more that gossip! It’s wild speculation based on no evidence whatsoever. Surely only the gullible fall for this kind of imaginary conjecture?

On 18/09/2019 at 23:34, Robbored said:

I have no interest in unfounded rumours and I’m really quite surprised at how many gullible types there are on here that do have an interest in wild speculation and rumour........

It must be an age thing..................:dunno:

On 18/09/2019 at 23:38, Robbored said:

Or........it’s a bluff to con the gullible otib posters..............:dunno:

I could go on but i wont.

Oh dear.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Two questions from me, may have already been mentioned in the previous million posts in this...

1. Who do we bring in in January to lead the line, loan or permanent?

2. Did LJ see enough of Benik to convince him even with the injury that he is worth signing permanently for next season, even potentially at a reduced fee?

3 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Two questions from me, may have already been mentioned in the previous million posts in this...

1. Who do we bring in in January to lead the line, loan or permanent?

2. Did LJ see enough of Benik to convince him even with the injury that he is worth signing permanently for next season, even potentially at a reduced fee?

IMO:

1) I could see us trying to buy a player from abroad or from the lower leagues (Ivan Toney?) in January as it is seemingly harder to get a proven Champ striker then at a reasonable price.

2) 3 ACL injuries by the age of 26 and having played in the premier league and with Stoke he would have been on high wages. I would say these are all fairly bad signs and there will be other just as capable players out there with better injury records and at a better value for money. Still a massive shame though. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shtanley said:

Weimann Semenyo Diedhiou and Janneh.

The greatest four strikers ever assembled. 

With Marley Watkins, the new Pele.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Yes mate and same as Geoff knows where the net is not afraid to knock em about.

I know from experience of playing against him and in training. 😜

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Exactly.  The only players I can remember us signing on an emergency loan was John Ruddy in 2007.

Cotts used the old emergency loan rule for players like Matt Smith.

8 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Pele is the old Marley Watkins*

"Who's Wings? They're only the band the Beatles could have been."

• Like 1