Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Red Army 75

Trolls

Trolling is a broad subject- could you define what you class as a "troll"?

Means different things on different platforms, with differing ranges of seriousness.

Do you mean on here, FB, Twitter or some other platform?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

In the Afobe thread there are a lot of accusations of people trolling. A lot of people feeling hard done by . A lot of topics being ruined. I thought this would be a good for people who have those issues to discuss it . Instead of turning topics into a bitchfest 

TBH I find Robbored rather dull and repetitive on many, many subjects, but wouldn't class him as a troll. It's just his personality that seems to irritate many rather, I think, than him deliberately setting out to do so. 

There are far worse people on this forum than him. 

Edited by Red-Robbo
  • Like 14
  • Haha 2

It's not even the trolling, it's the constant baiting of certain individuals, and people bitching, and replying to comments. When I started work years and years ago, I was given one bit of advice for these kinds of situations - "don't bite!"

I learnt to ignore lots of people/situations :laugh:

Rather than just put someone on ignore, actually ignore. 

Don't respond, no matter how trivial, irritating, petty, pointless or trolling their post might be.

That way, if no-one at all ever responded engaged or quoted them it might stop them.

Works for me

• Like 3

I put RR on ignore a while ago, mainly because people seem to need to respond to him and send the thread all over the place, just because they find him irritating. I never had a problem with his posting, just the need for some to be wound up! 

The page one, line one response should be 'don't feed the troll'!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Don't respond, no matter how trivial, irritating, petty, pointless or trolling their post might be.

That way, if no-one at all ever responded engaged or quoted them it might stop them.

Works for me

Agreed. Its the people responding, not necessarily the trolling.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Works for me

No it doesn’t.

8 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Works for me

So, tens, maybe hundreds :dunno: of peoples behaviour has to change rather then just one persons..........seems a bit ass-backward to me

• Like 3

Just report him for trolling. If we all do that, admin have to take action.

Threads like this just feed the troll

• Like 2

Damn.

Opened this thread and thought it was an appreciation piece for ex-gas manager Paul Trollope, where we laughed at how they hounded him out as they thought they were bigger than him and haven’t reached as high since.

As you were.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

What always makes me smile is the language that the man uses.

For someone whom I recall telling us he used to work within the mental health profession all I can say is thank **** I wasn’t under him.....

Nurse RR:  So tell me Big Al. When you were living with depression how did it manifest itself?

Big Al: Well Nurse, I often felt like .......

Nurse RR: Jeez. FFS. Don’t be so gullible.....

If it wasn’t so frequent and ridiculous it really would make me wonder....

And I know. I could put him in ignore. But then where would I get my pleasure? 😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BigAl&Toby said:

What always makes me smile is the language that the man uses.

For someone whom I recall telling us he used to work within the mental health profession all I can say is thank **** I wasn’t under him.....

Nurse RR:  So tell me Big Al. When you were living with depression how did it manifest itself?

Big Al: Well Nurse, I often felt like .......

Nurse RR: Jeez. FFS. Don’t be so gullible.....

If it wasn’t so frequent and ridiculous it really would make me wonder....

And I know. I could put him in ignore. But then where would I get my pleasure? 😉

I’m not sure he ever worked in mental health. Nobody who did would surely troll and goad so much. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I’m not sure he ever worked in mental health. Nobody who did would surely troll and goad so much. 

Let’s ask him. I’m sure he did. And that bloody avatar was his boss.

So @Robbored come on down. Stop polishing your bowls.

Was you ever a mental health professional or have I got it wrong?

**** me. I think I might be trolling 😳

3 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Did he "Work With" mental health?

As in maybe he was the patient?

For those old enough to have seen this film.... It all makes sense now !

The Dream Team (film) movie scenes

• Haha 4

18 minutes ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

I've never understood why people get so wound up by robbored. In any forum theres always going to be a range of opinions and personalities.

Agreed. 

This forum has gone to shit. Few posters posting often, when was the last time you saw a good post from someone you don't recognise?  

City fans trying to wind up other City fans. Beyond me.

Forum needs to be advertised or something, I understand that does cost though.

Edited by Unan
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

I've never understood why people get so wound up by robbored. In any forum theres always going to be a range of opinions and personalities.

Purposely attempting to derail threads isn't having an opinion.

He does occasionally make valid points and express an actual opinion, but 90% of the time it's pure guff to attention seek.

Equally, being an attention seeking arse isn't the same as having a personality.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Unan said:

This forum has gone to shit. Few posters posting often, when was the last time you saw a good post from someone you don't recognise?  

I would assume, like me, when you see a topic by a certain poster you know what you are going to get.

Be that something very good, or something bad shit crazy!

I guess there are only a finite number of people that are interested in posting on a forum anyway?

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

I would assume, like me, when you see a topic by a certain poster you know what you are going to get.

Be that something very good, or something bad shit crazy!

I guess there are only a finite number of people that are interested in posting on a forum anyway?

I completely agree, unfortunately a certain someone is always posting, and ruining,  threads they aren't interested in.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, phantom said:

Did he "Work With" mental health?

As in maybe he was the patient?

For those old enough to have seen this film.... It all makes sense now !

The Dream Team (film) movie scenes

A prize winning post, right there !

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

I don’t think it’s a case of getting so wound up. Most people reply to point out his mistakes, lies and bullshit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

He does occasionally make valid points and express an actual opinion, but 90% of the time it's pure guff to attention seek.

Equally, being an attention seeking arse isn't the same as having a personality.

Nail on the head. 

10% decent contributor. 

90% bollocks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Unan said:

It's a good forum, i'm a member of a couple of others and this is by far the most civil of all. Some other forums get pretty nasty. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

He's like the OTIB version of Henbury Gas........maybe he's one of the same, a Super Troll.

He does have a bit of history with the sags.......

• Like 2

I'm amazed by how angry people appear to get by a guy who simply occasionally says 'I don't believe in rumours'. 

And he is more often than not correct! How many rumours were complete nonsense last summer. The absolute majority.

1 hour ago, Unan said:

32 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's a good forum, i'm a member of a couple of others and this is by far the most civil of all. Some other forums get pretty nasty. 

There’s an element of truth in both these statements although they seem diametrically opposed.

First things first - this forum has not “gone to shit”. There’s a good level of debate (generally), and if you visit other clubs message boards this one is populated by a surprisingly large number of sane people, and a number of excellent posters (who I won’t name to avoid starting a fight!) - so at base level, @Phileas Fogg is right.

However, where @Unan is right is that you don’t see a lot of good posts from newcomers. To be honest, that’s a general forum thing. People (I include myself in this) lurk on forums for months or years and don’t ever post. Then they might tip over to 1-2, then they become regular. The first step is always the hardest, and it’s like a schoolyard - it can seem an unwelcoming place. Things also always seem worse in writing as you can’t read intonation so a comment that may be meant as gentle mickey taking comes over as hostile. I think that’s one of the issues people have with the person who’s driven this thread - number of times I’ve seen a comment of “you’re obviously new here” which isn’t going to encourage newbies to participate.

Long and short of it is that it’s a good forum, but any forums also intimidating and we should all remember the words of Ghandi “Words are like weapons, they wound you sometimes”

Actually, no, that was Cher. Message still relevant.

Edited by Silvio Dante
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, BigAl&Toby said:

Let’s ask him. I’m sure he did. And that bloody avatar was his boss.

So @Robbored come on down. Stop polishing your bowls.

Was you ever a mental health professional or have I got it wrong?

**** me. I think I might be trolling 😳

I’ve been bowling on an indoor carpet this afternoon and consequently my bowls are highly polished......

I spent 38 years working in mental health, 35 of them as a trained psychiatric nurse. A long, successful and enjoyable career which ended when I retired in 2010.

• Hedgehog 1

2 hours ago, Unan said:

I completely agree, unfortunately a certain someone is always posting, and ruining,  threads they aren't interested in.

Here’s a tip unan - put me on ignore. It’s easy enough to do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I’ve been bowling on an indoor carpet this afternoon and consequently my bowls are highly polished......

I spent 38 years working in mental health, 35 of them as a trained psychiatric nurse. A long, successful and enjoyable career which ended when I retired in 2010.

My picture above was right! 

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I'm sure you are actually one of Robbored's patients - you killed the real Robbored and assumed his identity many years ago!  It happens a lot in films.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

I'm sure you are actually one of Robbored's patients - you killed the real Robbored and assumed his identity many years ago!  It happens a lot in films.

I’m the real Robbored for sure but over the years many people have used me as a role model. 

• Rovers 1

4 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

TBH I find Robbored rather dull and repetitive on many, many subjects, but wouldn't class him as a troll. It's just his personality that seems to irritate many rather, I think, than him deliberately setting out to do so. 

There are far worse people on this forum than him. 

‘rather dull and repetitive’.........ouch!

Thats worse than being labelled a troll.

• Haha 1
  • Aubergine 1

22 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Wouldn't be the same here without him.

*Sarcasm isn't my strongest point

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

‘rather dull and repetitive’.........ouch!

Thats worse than being labelled a troll.

Is it?

In that case, you're ‘rather dull and repetitive’

• Haha 1