IGNORED

Gary Lineker 'forced' to trim £1.75m BBC salary

Unan

2 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Funny how the Daily Star and the Sun say "forced", where others are reporting that he has volunteered to take a pay cut as he enjoys working for the BBC ?

Either way,  an obscene wage for half hour of work a week.

To clarify, I'm a left leaning centralist. I don't want to be associated with the star.

5 minutes ago, Unan said:

Either way,  an obscene wage for half hour of work a week.

To clarify, I'm a left leaning centralist. I don't want to be associated with the star.

No worries I won't hold it against you ?

At the end of the day it is an obscene amount but he is very good at what he does and if he has volunteered to take a pay cut then fair play to him. 

People love to sensationalise this but chances are he could earn over double that if he went elsewhere. If the BBC don't get top presenters in, people say they're wasting their money. If they do, they say they're spending too much.

There's lots you can criticise the BBC for but here they're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

3 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

People love to sensationalise this but chances are he could earn over double that if he went elsewhere. If the BBC don't get top presenters in, people say they're wasting their money. If they do, they say they're spending too much.

There's lots you can criticise the BBC for but here they're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Tbf he doesn't work exclusively for the BBC does he? So he probably does earn double doing the other stuff.

2 hours ago, Unan said:

Yep, if you want people who are good at what they do you have to pay the wages. 

How happy would you be if we sold our entire squad and bought a load of league 2 players and Lansdown came out and said look ive saved loads of money? 

11 minutes ago, Spud55 said:

How happy would you be if we sold our entire squad and bought a load of league 2 players and Lansdown came out and said look ive saved loads of money? 

At the rate ours are getting injured, we could end the season with a league 2 squad! :shocking:

18 minutes ago, Spud55 said:

True, but would the viewing figures for MOTD drop if he wasn't presenting the show?

The whole point of the show is the highlights of the games, not really who introduces it.

3 minutes ago, Laner said:

True, but would the viewing figures for MOTD drop if he wasn't presenting the show?

The whole point of the show is the highlights of the games, not really who introduces it.

The whole point of the show is entertainment, if I just wanted highlights I could just watch them on sky well before MOTD. So I would argue yes the viewing figures probably would drop of you had some plum hosting MOTD. 

Just like commentators matter so do presenters, for example as a neutral I will be watching precisely 0 of the Champions league games that that utter nause that is Clive Tyldesley is commentating on as he's the worst commentator on TV by a mile. 

Same way many less people watch football on ITV if it is also on the BBC at the same time. 

7 minutes ago, Laner said:

While I take your point, the presenter does impact on the program.Previous to Colin Murray I couldn't stand the highlights show, may have occasionally dipped in for our goals but would happily watch them online and ignore the program . With Lineker and guests the show is entertaining and he does run it well. Is he worth the money? Is anyone? Then the question, did he give himself that money? No, of course not and he would have been mad to turn it down. That he has taken a cut should be applauded, but, the BBC will just waste it somewhere else. 

42 minutes ago, Spud55 said:

I'd take Colin Murray over him any day,  probably 1/50th of the wage & knows more than just the top league

5 minutes ago, Unan said:

I'd take Colin Murray over him any day,  probably 1/50th of the wage & knows more than just the top league

Not really sure that Murray knowledge of league 2 is going to help much on MOTD unless Macclesfield suddenly find themselves in the prem. I like Colin Murray but if you compare him hosting the highlights on quest to MOTD its night and day. 

Annoying that Lineker believes it necessary to bore the public with his political views but he's good at his job, if massively overpaid like all the BBC's so called 'stars'.

I don't watch MOTD anymore and I'd like to think the days of the BBC licence fee are numbered; I certainly resent paying it these days.

17 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Annoying that Lineker believes it necessary to bore the public with his political views but he's good at his job, if massively overpaid like all the BBC's so called 'stars'.

I don't watch MOTD anymore and I'd like to think the days of the BBC licence fee are numbered; I certainly resent paying it these days.

Is he not allowed an opinion? Agree or disagree with it at your leisure, just because he has status as a presenter doesn't mean he has to be a 2D human defined entirely by his job.

54 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Overpaid or market rate. He could earn far more at Sky.

What you rally mean is - how dare he have a view that I don’t agree with. 

... and that’s the crux of this whole story. The tabloid - BBC Hating -  press don’t like it becuase he dares to have an opinion that they don’t agree with and is generally left of centre in his political view so winds up many a red faced angry twitter user. 

Personalty the more it boils the piss of people who can’t cope with him having his own view on life then I’m all for it 

I like Lineker.I think he gets paid disproportionately for what he does.Every "celeberity" does,from Lionel Messi to the people who go on "I'm a Celebrity get me out of here" and "Love Island".At least I know who Lineker is as opposed to all these reality "stars".

GL has had his time. Offer the new going rate for a very average presenter or get new blood in. After contract ends its his choice to walk or take reasonable pay so its up to him then. I expect one of those Middle Eastern Channels will pay him more. How many people still actually watch MOTD live on BBC1 or rewatch on iPlayer now? Their audience must be dwindling, surely so BBC have got to justify those £'s it's paying out. Love to see the viewing figures! Does anyone out there have them?

Archived