IGNORED

Gary Lineker 'forced' to trim £1.75m BBC salary

Unan

11 minutes ago, LocoPal said:

GL has had his time. Offer the new going rate for a very average presenter or get new blood in. After contract ends its his choice to walk or take reasonable pay so its up to him then. I expect one of those Middle Eastern Channels will pay him more. How many people still actually watch MOTD live on BBC1 or rewatch on iPlayer now? Their audience must be dwindling, surely so BBC have got to justify those £'s it's paying out. Love to see the viewing figures! Does anyone out there have them?

Can’t find the figures but 84th says a lot

Match of the Day is the 84th most popular contemporary TV programme and the 46th most famous. 

(You Gov)

Apparently over one weekend Match of the Day regularly attracts 7 million viewers, it's not all about Gary Linelker obviously...........but he is the best football frontman IMHO.  I can watch all the goals on Sky, but I prefer to watch someone with personality present a show that is fun to watch.  Compared to some "celebrities" who earn fortunes for doing nothing, he is always worth watching. As others have pointed out, the BBC squanders plenty of money elsewhere, so at least GL is good value.  Anyone who believes what they read in the Sun and Daily Star needs to take a long rest in a padded cell. ?

12 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Annoying that Lineker believes it necessary to bore the public with his political views but he's good at his job, if massively overpaid like all the BBC's so called 'stars'.

I don't watch MOTD anymore and I'd like to think the days of the BBC licence fee are numbered; I certainly resent paying it these days.

How does he bore the public with his political views?  I have never seen him talking politics on TV - the only place you would see it is on Twitter and I can't see why he shouldn't be allowed to share his views on there, it's easy to avoid if you don't want to see it.

It'd be different if he was presenting Newsnight or Question Time, but MoTD?  Who cares, it has nothing to do with his job.

I regularly record MOTD and FF thru the analysis of the match so to me it’s makes no difference who is presenting the show or who the pundits are. 

The only rare exception is when Danny Murphy is one of the pundits.

As far as Lineker's salary goes - it’s irrelevant to me but nobody can blame him for wanting a bigger wedge and if the BBC want to  increase it then that’s up to them.

10 hours ago, LocoPal said:

Perhaps we need to look at this a little differently then? We all know exactly how much we all pay for a TV licence fee each month, so perhaps the end credits of every broadcast on TV or radio should clearly announce the total cost of their production?

I don't see the point to be honest with you.  The average person on the street would have zero idea how much it costs to create a show and whether or not the figure at the end is extortionate or not.  How much of that figure factors in TV rights etc?  You'll just get more people getting more irate over things they simply don't understand. 

There's never a call for people who work for the council should display their payslips in their window each month because we all pay taxes and therefore fund their salary?  People need to get over themselves where the BBC is involved.  Do I agree with the TV licence fee?  No.  But that doesn't mean I think I should know the ins and outs of a cats backside because I have to pay it. (this last para is not aimed at your post, btw)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42873526

Looks like 7m people watch each weekend (compare that to 2.5m that watch Eastenders). And I don't think this includes the catch up TV figures either.

Of course Lineker is overpaid but he's good at his job and a well known presenter, but everyone in the footballing world is overpaid. 

2 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

How does he bore the public with his political views?  I have never seen him talking politics on TV - the only place you would see it is on Twitter and I can't see why he shouldn't be allowed to share his views on there, it's easy to avoid if you don't want to see it.

It'd be different if he was presenting Newsnight or Question Time, but MoTD?  Who cares, it has nothing to do with his job.

It does have me in stitches the hardcore Brexiteers on twitter who think that the BBC have a pro-EU bias because Gary Lineker has shared his own personal opinion on a public platform created exactly to do that. Some even call for him to be sacked for it, purely because he opposes their views. You could guarantee if he was pro-Brexit they would all be championing him a British legend! 

Archived