Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Seneca the Younger

Gary Lineker 'forced' to trim £1.75m BBC salary

Recommended Posts

Funny how the Daily Star and the Sun say "forced", where others are reporting that he has volunteered to take a pay cut as he enjoys working for the BBC 🙄

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Funny how the Daily Star and the Sun say "forced", where others are reporting that he has volunteered to take a pay cut as he enjoys working for the BBC 🙄

 

Either way,  an obscene wage for half hour of work a week.

To clarify, I'm a left leaning centralist. I don't want to be associated with the star.

Edited by Unan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Unan said:

Either way,  an obscene wage for half hour of work a week.

To clarify, I'm a left leaning centralist. I don't want to be associated with the star.

No worries I won't hold it against you 😉

At the end of the day it is an obscene amount but he is very good at what he does and if he has volunteered to take a pay cut then fair play to him. 

Edited by marcofisher
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People love to sensationalise this but chances are he could earn over double that if he went elsewhere. If the BBC don't get top presenters in, people say they're wasting their money. If they do, they say they're spending too much.

There's lots you can criticise the BBC for but here they're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

People love to sensationalise this but chances are he could earn over double that if he went elsewhere. If the BBC don't get top presenters in, people say they're wasting their money. If they do, they say they're spending too much.

There's lots you can criticise the BBC for but here they're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Tbf he doesn't work exclusively for the BBC does he? So he probably does earn double doing the other stuff.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Tbf he doesn't work exclusively for the BBC does he? So he probably does earn double doing the other stuff.

Yeah fair point that. The lack of exclusivity probably drives his salary down then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Unan said:

Yep, if you want people who are good at what they do you have to pay the wages. 

How happy would you be if we sold our entire squad and bought a load of league 2 players and Lansdown came out and said look ive saved loads of money? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Spud55 said:

Yep, if you want people who are good at what they do you have to pay the wages. 

How happy would you be if we sold our entire squad and bought a load of league 2 players and Lansdown came out and said look ive saved loads of money? 

At the rate ours are getting injured, we could end the season with a league 2 squad! :shocking:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Spud55 said:

Yep, if you want people who are good at what they do you have to pay the wages. 

How happy would you be if we sold our entire squad and bought a load of league 2 players and Lansdown came out and said look ive saved loads of money? 

True, but would the viewing figures for MOTD drop if he wasn't presenting the show?

The whole point of the show is the highlights of the games, not really who introduces it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Laner said:

True, but would the viewing figures for MOTD drop if he wasn't presenting the show?

The whole point of the show is the highlights of the games, not really who introduces it.

The whole point of the show is entertainment, if I just wanted highlights I could just watch them on sky well before MOTD. So I would argue yes the viewing figures probably would drop of you had some plum hosting MOTD. 

Just like commentators matter so do presenters, for example as a neutral I will be watching precisely 0 of the Champions league games that that utter nause that is Clive Tyldesley is commentating on as he's the worst commentator on TV by a mile. 

Same way many less people watch football on ITV if it is also on the BBC at the same time. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Laner said:

True, but would the viewing figures for MOTD drop if he wasn't presenting the show?

The whole point of the show is the highlights of the games, not really who introduces it.

While I take your point, the presenter does impact on the program.Previous to Colin Murray I couldn't stand the highlights show, may have occasionally dipped in for our goals but would happily watch them online and ignore the program . With Lineker and guests the show is entertaining and he does run it well. Is he worth the money? Is anyone? Then the question, did he give himself that money? No, of course not and he would have been mad to turn it down. That he has taken a cut should be applauded, but, the BBC will just waste it somewhere else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Spud55 said:

Yep, if you want people who are good at what they do you have to pay the wages. 

How happy would you be if we sold our entire squad and bought a load of league 2 players and Lansdown came out and said look ive saved loads of money? 

I'd take Colin Murray over him any day,  probably 1/50th of the wage & knows more than just the top league

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Unan said:

I'd take Colin Murray over him any day,  probably 1/50th of the wage & knows more than just the top league

Not really sure that Murray knowledge of league 2 is going to help much on MOTD unless Macclesfield suddenly find themselves in the prem. I like Colin Murray but if you compare him hosting the highlights on quest to MOTD its night and day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Annoying that Lineker believes it necessary to bore the public with his political views but he's good at his job, if massively overpaid like all the BBC's so called 'stars'.

I don't watch MOTD anymore and I'd like to think the days of the BBC licence fee are numbered; I certainly resent paying it these days.

 

  • Like 3
  • Aubergine 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Annoying that Lineker believes it necessary to bore the public with his political views but he's good at his job, if massively overpaid like all the BBC's so called 'stars'.

I don't watch MOTD anymore and I'd like to think the days of the BBC licence fee are numbered; I certainly resent paying it these days.

 

Is he not allowed an opinion? Agree or disagree with it at your leisure, just because he has status as a presenter doesn't mean he has to be a 2D human defined entirely by his job.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Annoying that Lineker believes it necessary to bore the public with his political views but he's good at his job, if massively overpaid like all the BBC's so called 'stars'.

I don't watch MOTD anymore and I'd like to think the days of the BBC licence fee are numbered; I certainly resent paying it these days.

 

Overpaid or market rate. He could earn far more at Sky.

What you rally mean is - how dare he have a view that I don’t agree with. 

... and that’s the crux of this whole story. The tabloid - BBC Hating -  press don’t like it becuase he dares to have an opinion that they don’t agree with and is generally left of centre in his political view so winds up many a red faced angry twitter user. 

Personalty the more it boils the piss of people who can’t cope with him having his own view on life then I’m all for it 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's a great personality and presenter who knows his stuff but you could get plenty more presenters with better bang for buck. I wouldn't mind seeing an outright football journalist host like Mark Pougatch or Colin Murray. They would cost 25% of Garys salary at the max. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Lineker.I think he gets paid disproportionately for what he does.Every "celeberity" does,from Lionel Messi to the people who go on "I'm a Celebrity get me out of here" and "Love Island".At least I know who Lineker is as opposed to all these reality "stars".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always liked Lineker. I think it was all those World Cup goals that won me over.

Would be interesting to know what BT pay him to do the Champions League. If it's more then that suggests the BBC have done a reasonable deal.

Edited by robin_unreliant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GL has had his time. Offer the new going rate for a very average presenter or get new blood in. After contract ends its his choice to walk or take reasonable pay so its up to him then. I expect one of those Middle Eastern Channels will pay him more. How many people still actually watch MOTD live on BBC1 or rewatch on iPlayer now? Their audience must be dwindling, surely so BBC have got to justify those £'s it's paying out. Love to see the viewing figures! Does anyone out there have them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, LocoPal said:

GL has had his time. Offer the new going rate for a very average presenter or get new blood in. After contract ends its his choice to walk or take reasonable pay so its up to him then. I expect one of those Middle Eastern Channels will pay him more. How many people still actually watch MOTD live on BBC1 or rewatch on iPlayer now? Their audience must be dwindling, surely so BBC have got to justify those £'s it's paying out. Love to see the viewing figures! Does anyone out there have them?

Can’t find the figures but 84th says a lot

 

Match of the Day is the 84th most popular contemporary TV programme and the 46th most famous. 

(You Gov)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently over one weekend Match of the Day regularly attracts 7 million viewers, it's not all about Gary Linelker obviously...........but he is the best football frontman IMHO.  I can watch all the goals on Sky, but I prefer to watch someone with personality present a show that is fun to watch.  Compared to some "celebrities" who earn fortunes for doing nothing, he is always worth watching. As others have pointed out, the BBC squanders plenty of money elsewhere, so at least GL is good value.  Anyone who believes what they read in the Sun and Daily Star needs to take a long rest in a padded cell. 🙃

Edited by maxjak
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In fairness, I am sure the BBC would not be the first to have ever said ‘we wanted to sign Gary Lineker, but he was to expensive, so we went for Garth Crooks’.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps we need to look at this a little differently then? We all know exactly how much we all pay for a TV licence fee each month, so perhaps the end credits of every broadcast on TV or radio should clearly announce the total cost of their production?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Annoying that Lineker believes it necessary to bore the public with his political views but he's good at his job, if massively overpaid like all the BBC's so called 'stars'.

I don't watch MOTD anymore and I'd like to think the days of the BBC licence fee are numbered; I certainly resent paying it these days.

 

How does he bore the public with his political views?  I have never seen him talking politics on TV - the only place you would see it is on Twitter and I can't see why he shouldn't be allowed to share his views on there, it's easy to avoid if you don't want to see it.

It'd be different if he was presenting Newsnight or Question Time, but MoTD?  Who cares, it has nothing to do with his job.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I regularly record MOTD and FF thru the analysis of the match so to me it’s makes no difference who is presenting the show or who the pundits are. 

The only rare exception is when Danny Murphy is one of the pundits.

As far as Lineker's salary goes - it’s irrelevant to me but nobody can blame him for wanting a bigger wedge and if the BBC want to  increase it then that’s up to them.

  • Aubergine 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

As far as Lineker's salary goes - it’s irrelevant to me but nobody can blame him for wanting a bigger wedge and if the BBC want to  increase it then that’s up to them.

Did you read the story?  It's the exact opposite of that.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, LocoPal said:

Perhaps we need to look at this a little differently then? We all know exactly how much we all pay for a TV licence fee each month, so perhaps the end credits of every broadcast on TV or radio should clearly announce the total cost of their production?

I don't see the point to be honest with you.  The average person on the street would have zero idea how much it costs to create a show and whether or not the figure at the end is extortionate or not.  How much of that figure factors in TV rights etc?  You'll just get more people getting more irate over things they simply don't understand. 

There's never a call for people who work for the council should display their payslips in their window each month because we all pay taxes and therefore fund their salary?  People need to get over themselves where the BBC is involved.  Do I agree with the TV licence fee?  No.  But that doesn't mean I think I should know the ins and outs of a cats backside because I have to pay it. (this last para is not aimed at your post, btw)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42873526

Looks like 7m people watch each weekend (compare that to 2.5m that watch Eastenders). And I don't think this includes the catch up TV figures either.

Of course Lineker is overpaid but he's good at his job and a well known presenter, but everyone in the footballing world is overpaid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

How does he bore the public with his political views?  I have never seen him talking politics on TV - the only place you would see it is on Twitter and I can't see why he shouldn't be allowed to share his views on there, it's easy to avoid if you don't want to see it.

It'd be different if he was presenting Newsnight or Question Time, but MoTD?  Who cares, it has nothing to do with his job.

It does have me in stitches the hardcore Brexiteers on twitter who think that the BBC have a pro-EU bias because Gary Lineker has shared his own personal opinion on a public platform created exactly to do that. Some even call for him to be sacked for it, purely because he opposes their views. You could guarantee if he was pro-Brexit they would all be championing him a British legend! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

Did you read the story?  It's the exact opposite of that.

Maybe read the story but didn't believe it because it wasn't on the OS?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...