IGNORED

Non footballing legend.

Oh Louie louie

We have some staunch badge collectors at our club dont we.

Ive seen a older lady and a older gentlemen with a great collection.

The best one though was bob the badge from the east end in the 80s.

He always wore a denim jacket plastered in badges, and had a real dislike for refs.

When he used to surge foward to shout at the ref, all the noises the badges made, was like a recycling wagon coming down the road.

Bob wasnt a puritan in this field he also had heavy metal band badges.

Anyway the east end went and i didnt see him for years, then about 1999 he got pulled out the atyeo to take a penalty.

His jacket had ran out off space for badges it seemed, he was now wearing a hat, which was also covered in badges.

He still put the penalty away despite wearing a full metal jacket.

Anyone know if this guy is still about?

He would be in his 60s now i think.

8 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Sorry, have just read this and would've replied earlier. Bob took his Ford Fiesta to a scrapyard in, iirc, St Philip's in the early 1990s. Unfortunately, the crane's electromagnet picked him up instead and he was last seen swinging about 60 feet above the Fruit Market.

Pretty sure he used to have a city scarf tied round his wrist, proper old school if it’s the bloke I’m thinking of.

• Admin
5 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

Pretty sure he used to have a city scarf tied round his wrist, proper old school if it’s the bloke I’m thinking of.

If its the guy I am thinking of he sat near me in the Atyeo many years ago.

I can't recall seeing him for a while now

17 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

We have some staunch badge collectors at our club dont we.

Ive seen a older lady and a older gentlemen with a great collection.

The best one though was bob the badge from the east end in the 80s.

He always wore a denim jacket plastered in badges, and had a real dislike for refs.

When he used to surge foward to shout at the ref, all the noises the badges made, was like a recycling wagon coming down the road.

Bob wasnt a puritan in this field he also had heavy metal band badges.

Anyway the east end went and i didnt see him for years, then about 1999 he got pulled out the atyeo to take a penalty.

His jacket had ran out off space for badges it seemed, he was now wearing a hat, which was also covered in badges.

He still put the penalty away despite wearing a full metal jacket.

Anyone know if this guy is still about?

He would be in his 60s now i think.

He was living in Bath last time I spoke to him. He had just finished working on the bin lorrie's due to poor health. This was around 2015 when I still lived in Frome and travelled to/from City by train.

After I moved to S22 when it was opened, I remember seeing him in that block. But haven't seen him now for I guess, three years.

I knew him since we stood in the same spot in the Covered End from 1980 through to about late 1980's. I then got a seat in Williams and only saw him occasionally until the train journeys referred to above.

8 minutes ago, Diddlydonkey said:

Was on a silent bus on the way to the game last season with a couple of mates. Stoney gets on and tells jokes the whole way to the ground, bus is in stitches. Great lad.

It must have been on a summer Saturday evening around 35 years ago that Stoney Garnett was booked to perform his comedy act at our cricket club during which he asked the audience for a clean handkerchief so that he could perform a magic trick. My mate, who still sits next to me at AG, offered his. Stoney took it from him, dropped it into a paper bag, doused it in lighter fuel then, telling him not to worry, set it on fire. 

The bag went up in flames; so did my mate’s hanky. To roars of laughter from everyone else, Stoney apologised profusely telling him that he’d never, ever managed to get that trick to work. 

As I said earlier, legend. 

Archived