IGNORED

Bristol City v Swansea City Match Day 8

Septic Peg

The curse of the training ground injury strikes again...

So, and correct me if I'm wrong, but that's Afobe and Dasilva that became crocked at Failand whilst Kalas and Nagy were during games, Korey was already comfy in his sick bed since last year and I'm unsure where Niki, Janneh and Bailey sustained their injuries.

Not to forget that young Matthew Taylor also became injured just a few days into his Oxford loan...

So is this all just a coincidence? Just an unlucky string of injuries that came one after the other? If we discount Korey and Niki because they did theirs about a million years ago, it's still a fair few taking up space in the sick bay. All from different positions too. Strikers, defenders and midfielders and 1 GK... so no similarity there.

So is there something else concurrent with all these lads?

Yes. Fitness, conditioning and physiotherapists...

Andy Rolls (what a name for a physio!) and Andrew Proctor both joined at the tail end of the 2018 season after the departure of long time physio Steve Allen and just at the end of this season, development coach Rhys Carr left. He has yet to be replaced from what I can gather...

So is this the problem? Is the training too punishing for the City lads? Or is the training not sufficient enough? Are the warm ups/downs actually helping? Are the physios and coaches taking an active role in training to ensure it works for all without fatigue/strain/overwork?

From the varied ages, positions of play and injuries we've seen, it seems more than a case of bad luck. Hopefully, with Afobe being the final straw, the tide will turn. Fingers crossed.

A prayer to the Football Gods wouldn't go amiss either. Might pop a floater in a sacrificial ceremony to appease them.

On to today...

The OB @JulieH say they aren't going to go in heavy handed today but will still be a visible presence. After last times shenanigans at AG, we don't need any off pitch nonsense that will give the rozzers cause to start shouting "bubble match". 

Second placed Swansea have little to "mumble" about (visiting and lurking Jacks - see what I did? ?) and are likely to have pretty much a full squad, bar Kalulu, to choose from. We have the home advantage. We also have Ashley Williams likely making his debut today at some stage. A veteran of Swansea, he could rattle a few heads when he steps on to the pitch.

The classic 2-1 loss for me I'm betting though a 1-1 is possible, especially if we throw a spanner in their workings early enough.

COYRs!

12 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

So, and correct me if I'm wrong, but that's Afobe and Dasilva that became crocked at Failand whilst Kalas and Nagy were during games, Korey was already comfy in his sick bed since last year and I'm unsure where Niki, Janneh and Bailey sustained their injuries.

Not to forget that young Matthew Taylor also became injured just a few days into his Oxford loan...

So is this all just a coincidence? Just an unlucky string of injuries that came one after the other? If we discount Korey and Niki because they did theirs about a million years ago, it's still a fair few taking up space in the sick bay. All from different positions too. Strikers, defenders and midfielders and 1 GK... so no similarity there.

Andy Rolls (what a name for a physio!) and Andrew Proctor both joined at the tail end of the 2018 season after the departure of long time physio Steve Allen and just at the end of this season, development coach Rhys Carr left. He has yet to be replaced from what I can gather...

So is this the problem? Is the training too punishing for the City lads? Or is the training not sufficient enough? Are the warm ups/downs actually helping? Are the physios and coaches taking an active role in training to ensure it works for all without fatigue/strain/overwork?

From the varied ages, positions of play and injuries we've seen, it seems more than a case of bad luck. Hopefully, with Afobe being the final straw, the tide will turn. Fingers crossed.

A prayer to the Football Gods wouldn't go amiss either. Might pop a floater in a sacrificial ceremony to appease them.

On to today...

The OB @JulieH say they aren't going to go in heavy handed today but will still be a visible presence. After last times shenanigans at AG, we don't need any off pitch nonsense that will give the rozzers cause to start shouting "bubble match". 

Second placed Swansea have little to "mumble" about (visiting and lurking Jacks - see what I did? ?) and are likely to have pretty much a full squad, bar Kalulu, to choose from. We have the home advantage. We also have Ashley Williams likely making his debut today at some stage. A veteran of Swansea, he could rattle a few heads when he steps on to the pitch.

The classic 2-1 loss for me I'm betting though a 1-1 is possible, especially if we throw a spanner in their workings early enough.

COYRs!

Ah there you are .

Do we suffer more injuries than other clubs ? That would be a good starting question.

I am sure that the club are constantly on the look out for ways of improving and the fitness and conditioning of the players is a major part of that.

I do wonder if it is simply that these lads are playing too much at too high a level to recharge their bodies enough .

Before anyone says that in the past players played more often, of course they did but not at the same intensity.

Those lads could smoke and drink whilst playing at the highest level ( not during a match of course) . They didn’t run as much as now .

Full backs got nosebleeds if they crossed the half way line ! 

Onto today, well putting aside the very sad news of Benik’s injury , this is a mouthwatering fixture.

Two good sides who play the right way ( Brian Clough would love it ) in a derby at the top of the division. 

I back us to grind down the Swans , we will do it for Afobe .

This squad has been through adversity and shone. They play for each other and all credit must go to LJ and company for getting in the right kind of footballers and making them gel.

I am going for 3-1 to the mighty Robins 

Famara 2 and Semenyo to notch his first senior goal of the season.

Roll on 3 o’clock .

5 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

My son Daniel and I have tickets for the game, but he’s currently in hospital in Bath waiting for urgent surgery to remove his appendix. He was fine about it all until I told him we’d have to miss the game...we’re both absolutely gutted not to be there today.

So please City, win it for Benik...and Daniel!

Hope all goes well for your son CR.

And we win for him today!

I would not play with a recognised striker today.  AW and KP as the most forward of an 8 man midfield.

A 3142 type formation.

Lee's hands are going to be pretty tied today with so many injuries and maybe even a few knocks and strains we don't know about.

Lee is certain to play Diedhiou up front though. We know how his mind works.

I'm sure we will all remain positive and cheer the lads on, however it goes.  sometimes forced tactical changes can inadvertently outwit the opposition.

It's hard not be be pessimistic after another setback this week, particularly up against a team that are right up there so far this season.

I think it'll be another tight game. We seem to be good at scrapping it and I'm hoping we can get the Swans on the back palmate (Google it).

I'm concerned that they will target us in wide areas, and be resilient at the back, so we'll need to be in top form to take 3 points. 

Prediction 1-1.

10 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

My son Daniel and I have tickets for the game, but he’s currently in hospital in Bath waiting for urgent surgery to remove his appendix. He was fine about it all until I told him we’d have to miss the game...we’re both absolutely gutted not to be there today.

Speedy recovery Daniel!

10 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Hope it all goes smoothly today for your family. 

15 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

My son Daniel and I have tickets for the game, but he’s currently in hospital in Bath waiting for urgent surgery to remove his appendix. He was fine about it all until I told him we’d have to miss the game...we’re both absolutely gutted

Sounds a bit drastic - I'd go private next time if I were you!

10 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Hope all goes well for your son CR.

And we win for him today!

5 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Speedy recovery Daniel!

4 minutes ago, Offside said:

Hope it all goes smoothly today for your family. 

Thank you everyone! He had a great night's sleep..unlike me in the chair next to him!

COYR!

29 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

On to today...

COYRs!

As far as I am aware (stand to be corrected);

Smith - Contact injury during a game

Janneh - Came back from Torquay injured

Dasilva - Contact injury, believed to be during the Leeds game

Nagy - Contact injury during a game

Kalas - Hamstring tear during a game

Maenpaa - Calf injury during training

Wright - Grade two tear in the thigh during a game (QPR cup game when he came back too soon from previous injury)

Afobe - ACL during training with no one near him

More unlucky than anything else imo.

Anyway 2-0 to City

COYR

4 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

As far as I am aware (stand to be corrected);

Smith - Contact injury during a game

Janneh - Came back from Torquay injured

Dasilva - Contact injury, believed to be during the Leeds game

Nagy - Contact injury during a game

Kalas - Hamstring tear during a game

Maenpaa - Calf injury during training

Wright - Grade two tear in the thigh during a game (QPR cup game when he came back too soon from previous injury)

Afobe - ACL during training with no one near him

More unlucky than anything else imo.

Anyway 2-0 to City

COYR

I got Dasilva info from @RedM's injury list post. Says injured in training. But tbf, I have no idea. Could easily be both (ie knocked in Leeds game and compounded it in training). We probably won't ever know.

1 minute ago, Septic Peg said:

I got Dasilva info from @RedM's injury list post. Says injured in training. But tbf, I have no idea. Could easily be both (ie knocked in Leeds game and compounded it in training). We probably won't ever know.

I'm pretty sure the club don't know either.

The training has to be as robust as a normal game otherwise there is no point, so injuries are going to occur for any professional team as per in a game.

We've just had a few too many to key players which is just unlucky imo.

26 minutes ago, mozo said:

It's hard not be be pessimistic after another setback this week, particularly up against a team that are right up there so far this season.

I think it'll be another tight game. We seem to be good at scrapping it and I'm hoping we can get the Swans on the back palmate (Google it).

I'm concerned that they will target us in wide areas, and be resilient at the back, so we'll need to be in top form to take 3 points. 

Prediction 1-1.

Not hard for some to be pessimistic on here even if we had a fully fit squad!

I'm pretty much disappointed if we don't win any home game. But if we play poorly and get a point then I'll be happy with result. 

I look at that Swansea side and think this is a game we can win. Even without Benik.

52 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

A prayer to the football Gods wouldn't go amiss either. Might pop a floater in a sacrificial ceremony to appease them.

Remember Don Revie. He was convinced that Elland Road had a gypsy curse on it so he got a gypsy from Scarborough to exorcise the spell. We just need a City supporter who has gypsy powers to pop along to Failand and do the business 

1 hour ago, Septic Peg said:

On to today...

COYRs!

Don't forget the injuries to Pack and Kelly just after they left us. Very spooky but as you say, hopefully that is the end of it now and we have used up all the bad luck. Just think when our players start returning, we will be even stronger. God help the rest of the division!!

9 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Remember Don Revie. He was convinced that Elland Road had a gypsy curse on it so he got a gypsy from Scarborough to exorcise the spell. We just need a City supporter who has gypsy powers to pop along to Failand and do the business 

I’m sorry, that’s just all nonsense. Curses, Feng Shui etc - no self respecting non gullible football team would fall for charlatans saying they could improve their fortunes with some kind of parlour trick.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2000/jan/20/newsstory.sport1

Archived