IGNORED

I thought we were excellent.

Lez

Ok didnt do enough to win the game. But against a very good side the players stepped up and performed....something we struggle with at home.

Massengo brownhill shout outs both excellent. William's and Moore both very solid.

One thing I would say, on today's evidence, Adofe a massive loss.

Slightly disappointed with Swansea like us lack that clinical edge up top.

Either way really enjoyed it rare for a 0-0

7 minutes ago, Lez said:

Ok didnt do enough to win the game. But against a very good side the players stepped up and performed....something we struggle with at home.

Massengo brownhill shout outs both excellent. William's and Moore both very solid.

Two teams who have the base for good things but don't have the fire power to pull up to many trees in this league 

We knew Afobe would be a huge miss but it stood out like a sore thumb today sadly 

9 minutes ago, Lez said:

Thought Brownhill was very poor with the ball. Kept giving it away. 

Certainly wouldn’t say we were excellent as so poor in the final third. Happy with a point though. 

40 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Certainly wouldn’t say we were excellent as so poor in the final third. Happy with a point though. 

Agreed, thought Swansea weren’t particularly up to much either. 

Agree, the losd of Afobe is huge. Well we knew it but could clearly see it today. Might have won and maybe even comfortably had he been fit and playing. 

LJ needs to work out what to do up top. Not an easy thing to work out. Is Fam the answer? I'd like to see other things tried before going back to him.

I thought goalie, centre backs and centre midfielders all very good today. But the the top of the spine was weak with Weimann, Szmodics and then Fam and Palmer.

58 minutes ago, Lez said:

Your first sentence nicely points out why we weren’t excellent.

Lee Johnson was absolutely right to criticise our performance in the final third, again.

I enjoyed today's game with both teams trying to win it. The fact that neither did was due to bad choices in and around the box. Palmer trying to put it on a plate for Fammy in the box when he had a clear chance to shoot himself was but one example. There were opportunities to get to the byline and cut the ball back for a player, especially Weimann, to come in on the angle but we're content to feed it to square once more. Both sides were also guilty of being shot shy wanting to walk it in the net. Massengo was MoM.

Actually, at the risk of upsetting people, I enjoyed that too...

Not sure I know why? We didn’t create a lot, but I thought we defended well and competed all over the park without ever looking as though we would make a break through. 

Not sure that was a sending off, but it didn’t happen early enough to change the game.

Massengo though, wow...how do you get to play with 10 years Championship experience when you’ve only played 6 games?? 

Add another one who enjoyed that here.

To me, there were almost two games - the first 35-40 minutes where you had a very tactical game, lots of pressing and not much creation. Then the Baker sub happened. Fam comes on and does a Fam performance - some things great but you’re never confident he’ll score. He did however mean we had a target to create things - Off the top of my head the O’Dowda driven cross, the ball from Hunt and the second half header all more than presentable. Worked very hard however.

More than that when Fam came on the game got stretched - we were 4-4-2 which led to more space a la Middlesbrough. That increased when KP came on second half and played very high up, and at that point it was really end to end without much penetration. Both sides wanted to win - at one point (c80 minutes), LJ called Bentley over to tell him to make us only have one man covering when we were attacking.

Good game - part tactical, part slugfest - and probably a fair result

Not too long back. thought we did...ok? Not great, but was fearing the worst given our injuries and their start this season. Everyone worked hard, we could have nicked it, but so could they. 

We are what we are, a competitive championship side. Don’t think we are much more than than that right now, but if we can hang in there until we get some players back, who knows.

Did not for the life of me understand the starting 11, but LJ was certainly trying something I suppose, Drove back content I had seen a decent performance against a decent team. Driven back in much worse moods!

Rather randomly in our first four home games we have now played three of the top four, so hopefully we can get a run going at home sooner or later!

3 hours ago, RedDave said:

I am glad someone was watching the same game as me. Littered with poor passing, poor touches and ball not under control

Pretty bang average game and are usual typical home performance 

Keep reading about the Afobe loss being huge.

Baker might be out, so that would be both our best CB’s injured.

We can barely play out of the back with Moore and Williams. Both solely good (and very much so today) for defending, but not so much with helping to control/influence a game going forward.

In this league, you need quality from the back and players that can help our play.

Massengo was excellent. Hunt worked his arse off. Rowe looked very League One. I’m glad we’ve got Bentley as he’s one hell of a keeper at this level. 

Our midfield had a good overall command on the game. Swansea could only go wide to attack. 

Both teams struggled with quality in the final third.

More to come from Szmodics I’m sure. 

The balance of our squad is what does concern me most though, but that’s largely out of our hands due to injuries.

17 minutes ago, Pickle Rick said:

Keep reading about the Afobe loss being huge.

Baker might be out, so that would be both our best CB’s injured.

We can barely play out of the back with Moore and Williams. Both solely good (and very much so today) for defending, but not so much with helping to control/influence a game going forward.

Really?  Moore is good with the ball at his feet and I think we saw today how accomplished Williams is too (unsurprising as a key player in the Swans side that built from the back in the Prem.  We played some nice stuff when Rowe moved to LCB too.

In this league, you need quality from the back and players that can help our play.

I think we are fortunate that Moore and Williams can play.

Massengo was excellent. Hunt worked his arse off. Rowe looked very League One. I’m glad we’ve got Bentley as he’s one hell of a keeper at this level. 

Our midfield had a good overall command on the game. Swansea could only go wide to attack. 

Both teams struggled with quality in the final third.

More to come from Szmodics I’m sure. 

Yes, some clever touches and worked hard, but it was a game played in the middle of the pitch unfortunately.

The balance of our squad is what does concern me most though, but that’s largely out of our hands due to injuries.

Whilst I enjoyed the game between two well matched teams, I felt we were back at square one with absolutely no threat up top.

Same could be said for them.

Good quality game other than up front.

One goal would have won it either way - but there didn't seem a chance of that given the toothless front lines of both teams.

Happy with a point and I would have been before the game as well.

As for Baker signalling to come off - **** off mate, you aint to be trusted, rather see a youth player taking his place.

2 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

We were far from excellent, but this game shows how far we have come. We were not at our best but toighed it out against a good team. Rode our luck a bit and could have gone on to win it.

We are solid, if not spectacular. Let’s see how it goes - still early days

That's why we went all out to get the kid Eddie - to have a bit of "spectacular" where you want it: up top, popping the ball in the net. Without him, and with Afobe, we were not spectacular, merely jolly good. Remains to be seen what we will be without Eddie and Afobe. 

Archived