Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

JonDolman

Massengo

10 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

He played in an ? U18 ? Game Against us , but having read Monaco forums I’m not sure about scouted RRH , I think we undoubtedly were aware of him but that according to his Mum HM wanted to play first team football and was open to getting away from Monaco and I suspect (Just the vibe I get) that agents may have looked for a Club or out feelers out and we pounced

Agree with the thoughts of others,  really good so far this season and especially today - Unfortunately he is playing that well the bolded part is perhaps the hope we will need to cling to if we fail to go up this season as bigger clubs will be surely be circling. 

5 minutes ago, cityal said:

Agree with the thoughts of others,  really good so far this season and especially today - Unfortunately he is playing that well the bolded part is perhaps the hope we will need to cling to if we fail to go up this season as bigger clubs will be surely be circling. 

Of course but I think his age works in our favour here

Is he Premiership ready yet ? 

Probably not, and he clearly wants to play and has time very much on his side 

He also seems to be thrilled with how he’s been taken here and that will play a part in a decision re moving on again ,

I think we will see at leat another season of him personally

Edited by BobBobSuperBob
  • Like 1

Another very good, mature performance. I agree with BBSB above, I can't see him moving at the end of this season just to warm a bench somewhere. He seems to have taken to this club and I see at least another season here. No need for him to rush off anywhere.

7 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Another very good, mature performance. I agree with BBSB above, I can't see him moving at the end of this season just to warm a bench somewhere. He seems to have taken to this club and I see at least another season here. No need for him to rush off anywhere.

We really seem to be getting this bit right nowadays. There`s a lot of players recently who have said they feel welcomed and happy at City (and seem to really mean it).

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

Very good performance, although he did give the ball away a fair few times. With a bit more experience, he will be a top player

A fair few times? I need to watch it back because I can only recall the one late on that led to a dangerous attack. The rest of the game he was usually fouled before he had a chance to lose the ball.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

"When the fans sing my song I just have to run" 😂😂

Got to love him.

With the sound down, he looks like a sixth former having to explain to his teacher why his homework is late. Proof of the old saying  ‘if they are good enough, they are old enough’.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

He’s got such a baby face, but he’s a man out on the pitch.  The bit in the corner against Celina in second half was top, top notch. So many people got on their feet after that.

I think the bit of criticism re passing is fair, but you wonder whether some of it is because players are expecting him to do a bit more on the ball, but his game is get it, pass it...and quickly, so they’re not always there to get the shirt, quick pass.  You could see why he was at a club like Monaco and Henry gave him a go in the CL.  Reminds me of Fàbregas in some ways.  Could Nagy be the player to see him get a bit more ball further forward.  He must be a pleasure to play with.

2 hours ago, 054123 said:

How good did he play against Derby?

Very well.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Tbf - both sets of players struggled to string many passes together entirely down to the high tempo and with both team harassing each other. 

As I watched the game two thoughts entered my mind ‘hurly burly’ and ‘helter skelter’.......that sums up the game for me.

And ‘ curly whirly ‘ for Massengo !

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Funny I didn’t think he was all that today. Very good at defending his space and getting his body in the right position but not so good on the ball

Do all the people rubbishing this post think 70% passing accuracy is good? ‘Not so good on the ball’ is a totally fair and accurate assessment

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

This kid is going right to the very top of the game, no doubt about it. 

The only question is to which top team is he going to? 

We won't own him after next summer, I'm certain of that. With the talent he has got, a club will be keen to secure his services so they ain't going to hang around. The smaller Prem clubs may even come in for him in January.

He was sublime today and makes the game look so easy, you wonder why we all can't play it his way.

He'll get better every match, and come the second half of the season Massengo will be dominating this division.

I get the feeling he's holding some of his talent back and could step up another couple of gears if he really wanted, but probably doesn't want to seem arrogant!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

He was sublime today and makes the game look so easy, you wonder why we all can't play it his way.

He'll get better every match, and come the second half of the season Massengo will be dominating this division.

I get the feeling he's holding some of his talent back and could step up another couple of gears if he really wanted, but probably doesn't want to seem arrogant!

Thats a complimentary laugh Kev 

This Bit did make me chuckle and your posts and enthusiasm regularly make me smile 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Do all the people rubbishing this post think 70% passing accuracy is good? ‘Not so good on the ball’ is a totally fair and accurate assessment

If passing accuracy percentages were the only metric for judging whether was good on the ball you'd have a point...

The kid has strength, nous and maturity well beyond his years. He's also not intimidated, something quite unusual in one so young.

Proper baller.

• Like 1

He's a freak, at 70 minutes you would expect an 18 year old to rightly be flagging and subbed, but he gets stronger as the game goes on. He must have lungs bigger than his hair! :) 

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

What a charming guy Massengo is?.................and a phenomenal talent 😍.  Just hope he stays  longer than Webster?

• Like 1

First game this season for me. What a fantastic player - he seemed to be everywhere constantly harrying the opposition. Think Mrs RR was also taken by him, might even be persuade  her to come to a few more games. 

Couldn't work out the words of the song though.

3 hours ago, Reigate Red said:

First game this season for me. What a fantastic player - he seemed to be everywhere constantly harrying the opposition. Think Mrs RR was also taken by him, might even be persuade  her to come to a few more games. 

Just to upset the singers, shouldn’t Massengo actually be pronounced Massongo?

Massengo on an pre rcd interview on Twentyman saying how much he is enjoying here and loves the atmosphere and the fans and thanked fans for making him so welcome , he’s clearly thrilled

22 hours ago, Reigate Red said:

Perhaps you should get yourself a HNM wig. You never know what could happen down Reigate way!

• Haha 1

On 21/09/2019 at 17:04, Andy082005 said:

Enjoy this kid whilst he is here. We won't have him long 

Exceptional talent 

Andy saying something positive, the end is nigh!*

*Saying this purely in jest 😀

Massengo appears to be a truly exceptional talent and has already had scouts from Arsenal coming to watch him.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Massengo appears to be a truly exceptional talent and has already had scouts from Arsenal coming to watch him.

Maybe we should tell them to set up a medical ready at their place just in case 

then we we can mess them around & sell to Chelsea who actually know how to do business 

Didn't think he had his best game tbh, which of course is no problem when you're 18 and played a handful of pro games. Hopefully when he plays with Nagy it might free him up for a couple more offensive surges forward.

Think he's just concentrating on his defensive abilities at the mo in terms of learning the game so not to overload his brain, very clever for one so young, not often the words discipline and young are used in the same sentence.

Does anyone else agree that he tends to go down to easily when winning free kicks. Haven't seen it enough times, but he does seem to have that continental nack of winning a free kick with hardly any contact, which is no bad thing as he plays for us, but I can guarantee that if he played for the opposing side we'd be screaming blue murder.

22 hours ago, Leveller said:

Just to upset the singers, shouldn’t Massengo actually be pronounced Massongo?

Isn't the Noah part of his name supposed to be produced 'Wah'? 

3 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

No doubt Arsenal are a huge step up from us, but that wouldn't be a good move for him.

1 hour ago, jaydee=inspiration said:

Didn't think he had his best game tbh, which of course is no problem when you're 18 and played a handful of pro games. Hopefully when he plays with Nagy it might free him up for a couple more offensive surges forward.

Think he's just concentrating on his defensive abilities at the mo in terms of learning the game so not to overload his brain, very clever for one so young, not often the words discipline and young are used in the same sentence.

Does anyone else agree that he tends to go down to easily when winning free kicks. Haven't seen it enough times, but he does seem to have that continental nack of winning a free kick with hardly any contact, which is no bad thing as he plays for us, but I can guarantee that if he played for the opposing side we'd be screaming blue murder.

I disagree. People only tend to notice attacking players or the Cbs when judging how well a player has done. The midfielders often get overlooked. They do all the dirty work, they man mark, press, cut passing lanes, drop into holes etc, all off of the ball so their work largely goes unnoticed.

Unfortunately Referees only tend to give free kicks when a player goes down, in my mind a foul is a foul if a player stays on his feet or not, but refs don't see it like that unfortunately. Had he of stayed on his feet for that foul, it wouldn't have been given, by tumbling over he forced the ref into making the decision, just like some players will fall over and grab the ball. It's called being clever and it's something we have lacked from our game for many years. 

I'd hate it if our players were diving and or feigning injury, but see nothing wrong in being that little bit clever to get what the ref should be awarding in the 1st place.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jaydee=inspiration said:

I know what you mean, and am not sure either way, but for a lad so young he is excellent at it ( or not, as the case may be!)

On 21/09/2019 at 17:16, Sniper said:

Absolutely!

There is no way he's going to stay under the radar.

Really hope that we don't have another Webster scenario coming up next season 😥

Perhaps we'd be better going back the situation a few year's ago. Then, when we were relegated, we could;t get rid of our players. :)

Its a mark of how far we've come as a club and how improved is our off field organisation that we are bringing in players like Webster, Nagy and Massing, who have massive potential , even though it might not be fully realised here. 

Kalas and Dasilva signing permanently was a huge boost and endorsement of the club. Imagine how we'd be viewed by players and their agents ( and club's looking to loan rising stars if they see us yet again turning players into £20m+ top flight signings within 12 months of coming to AG?

• Like 2