IGNORED

Ash Williams

MC RISK77

Interesting reading people saying his legs are gone before he signed. 

Tell them to watch the 20 yard sprint to cover back when he lunged in front of a shot and almost injured himself on Bentley. Excellent commitment. 

Won nearly everything in the air and comfortably managed 90 minutes today. I thought he was excellent.

As was Taylor Moore, boy has that lad stepped up. The two kept their big man quiet.

Kalas is a massive loss, but we've got some very hard working back up.

He clearly knows what he's doing as he has no pace anymore. Positionally very good. Kept talking, just like Moore does. I actually thought Moore was our best defender today. Both very good, though thought that Swansea striker was pretty poor. It always helps when the striker is poor. 

Was going to post asking how he got on. Imagine saying a couple of months ago we'd be lining up with Moore and Williams in our centre of defence and Rowe next to them, would've have been some very unhappy people! 

Glad he's started well and great to see Moore stepping up after the rumours of him leaving. 

59 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

Was going to post asking how he got on. Imagine saying a couple of months ago we'd be lining up with Moore and Williams in our centre of defence and Rowe next to them, would've have been some very unhappy people! 

Glad he's started well and great to see Moore stepping up after the rumours of him leaving. 

Spot on it would of been meltdown on here and I would of been one of them in all honesty 

Played like ........

a Experienced ,International ,

So Intelligent in his positioning and decisions, composed himself and organising

The Swansea Front Man never quite recovered from meeting a very ‘solid’ , but fair , challenge from Mr Williams fairly early on

Two words for me.    

Class Act

5 hours ago, paul_fox said:

.....and great to see Moore stepping up after the rumours of him leaving. 

I can only remember the absolute BS posted by @Agard Days Night who claimed Taylor Moore had told him personally that he’d signed for Southend United and the ‘announcement was imminent’ - were there other rumours aside from that total rubbish? 

Another example of snobby City fans thinking no player is good enough for us.

Might not be a youngster, but you don’t play at Prem level for a good number of years without ability, and part of a Swansea side that passed it out from the back (like the current team).  

From his interview this week, really happy to be here, and speaks intelligently too.  

We all had similar age-related worries over Wilbs - and that didn't work out too shabbily, in a more free running role!

A good, experienced professional will make up for lack of pace when they move into their 30s, with guile and positioning.

AW was spot on yesterday. Barely put a foot wrong. He was, as @bcfc01 says, calm and composed throughout.

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Another example of snobby City fans thinking no player is good enough for us.

Might not be a youngster, but you don’t play at Prem level for a good number of years without ability, and part of a Swansea side that passed it out from the back (like the current team).  

From his interview this week, really happy to be here, and speaks intelligently too.  

No need to go on the attack Dave. He came to City with his career going firmly one way and some reviews from Stoke that made their assessment of Afobe look positive.

Sure no one will be happier to eat humble pie than the people you mention if he keeps his early form up. I wasn’t too worried about him signing as at worst, he’d be a great head to have in the dressing room but you can’t blame people for looking at his last few years and being unimpressed.

56 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

We all had similar age-related worries over Wilbs - and that didn't work out too shabbily, in a more free running role!

A good, experienced professional will make up for lack of pace when they move into their 30s, with guile and positioning.

AW was spot on yesterday. Barely put a foot wrong. He was, as @bcfc01 says, calm and composed throughout.

One small thing that I have noticed about him is his passes  are sometimes a little timid and in this game and last Saturday’s he has got away with it thanks to other player’s reaction time.

I suspect it’s just getting used to playing again but if I was an opponent I’d press him to try this more often and hope to capitalise.

Other than that a top signing and I’m sure he’ll get better with more minutes under his belt.

One of the reasons I try not to 'go early' with thoughts on players....

Ashley Williams , OOC , no interested clubs , too old , not match fit.
Taylor Moore , was shit here , only played at struggling Bury/Southend , no Championship experience.
Tommy Rowe , journeyman , from Doncaster ffs
Benik Afobe , been shit for years, Stoke fans say he's shit......

Easy to have doubts about players,  but I do try and have a look for myself first. The 4 players above have all been quality this season, but I bet if you offered them to most people before they had signed , a good percentage would have said ..... not good enough. 

52 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Taylor Moore , was shit here , only played at struggling Bury/Southend , no Championship experience.

Easy to have doubts about players,  but I do try and have a look for myself first. The 4 players above have all been quality this season, but I bet if you offered them to most people before they had signed , a good percentage would have said ..... not good enough. 

Quite so. @Davefevsis right, so often posters dismiss players as not good enough for us out of some kind of strange view of our status.

And never take any notice of what fans of their former clubs say, it's a self selecting negative sample.

We have seen with Afobe and now Williams that sometimes players just need to find the right club. The fact that we are a stable club with a positive culture can make a big difference to a player.

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Spot on, I've always believed in building or rebuilding the confidence in individuals before making criticisms. Hopefully LJ can get another "has been 5hit player" & return them to their former glory that we can all admire be proud of.

15 hours ago, Stockwood gate said:

He is on my train as we speak with his family just said well played heading towards Birmingham great debut 

Also, saw him rushing to his train at Temple Meads with his family. Kids had City tops with Williams on the back and he even had a widely suitcase with the new city badge on! 

Thought he had a really solid game and seems to be saying all the right things and wants to be here so could be a very good bit of business. Also agree Taylor Moore has really impressed this season, I'm glad we kept with him and shows we that some of this recruitment policy is for the longer term. 

Archived