IGNORED

Ratings from today

old_eastender

Bentley - 8 - Very composed throughout, good save from FK just before HT and excellent stop to deny Ayew when he was right through. On the whole very good distribution too.

Hunt - 7 - Defensively did ok, tried to offer overlap, crosses not quite as good this time around.

Moore - 7 - Thought he did very well after getting the early yellow card, mature performance.

Williams - 8 - Super solid at the back, seemed to be the one doing the organising too.

Baker - 7 - Looked sound up to the early substitution.

Rowe - 6 - Worked hard defensively, didn't offer anything on overlap.

Massengo - 8 - Really good CDM performance, retained and won possession really well.

Brownhill - 6 - Lots of effort, but lacks composure in and around the opposition box. Two good shooting position from FKs without seriously testing keeper.

Weimann - 6 - Usual endless running, but wasteful when in good positions.

Szmodics - 4 - Just never got in the game.

Fammy - 7 - Best performance from Fammy for a while, unlucky with first half effort that went just wide. Maybe should have done better with heading chance in 2nd half.

COD - 6 - Did a lot of defensive cover, didn't show much going forward aside from the cross in for Fammy chance.

Palmer - 6 - Didn't influence the game when he came on, but neat & tidy when in possession.

Eliasson - 5 - Disappointing for me, crosses and corner well below usual quality.

Overall, draw probably a fair result.

Bentley 8 - superb save second half won us a point

Hunt - 6 - poor first half but good second

Moore - 8 - superb mature performance 

Williams - 8 - marshalled back line

Baker - 6 - another injury...

Rowe - 7 - his best game for us 

Massengo - 7 - brilliant at closing down and winning free kicks

Brownhill - 5 - harried them well but very sloppy with the ball

COD - 7 - looked very bright and energetic. Carried ball better than anyone

Szmodics - 4 - never got in the game and very poor

Weimann 6 - ran around a lot but nothing really came off

subs

Diedhou - 6 - started well but got worse as game went on

Elliason - 6 - tripped over a few times and wasn’t too involved

Palmer - 5 - tried but another who couldn’t get going today 

2 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

6 and 5 for Brownhill is really harsh imo. Was absolutely everywhere today, led by example (despite being only 24 himself) and hit 2 good free kicks. Was in my top 3 today.

Shows how everyone sees the game differently!

Everywhere and excellent without the ball. Gave it away a lot in possession as did Massengo. It was a very scrappy game to be fair 

Rowe best performance I've seen so far for him. 7 for me.

O'Dowda very good and surprised he was subbed.

Diedhiou very good first half when he came on. Very poor second half. Zero stamina. Touch worse than however bad people say it is when he is knackered. 5 would be generous.

I guess some players really struggle with the heat. Fam and Palmer, considering they were both subs as well so not on pitch as long really didn't run enough. Though Palmer did a few exceptional things on the ball.

We need to work out how to be more creative in the final third without Afobe. How do we get the best out of Palmer.

Szmodics looked decent at times, and pressed very well. Harsh ratings. I would have swapped positions, him with O'Dowda. O'Dowda has that bit ot power that might have been all the difference up top, and Szmodics likes to play more behind the forwards than up there alongside one. The reserve game recently may have suggested he shouldn't be right up top as he was apparently very poor.

Real funny one for me.  Really enjoyed the game, watching how we coped with a good passing / technical Swansea team who have started the season well.

Thought a draw was a fair result.  Usual whole numbers only, 6/10 is a player earning his corn.  Although today I'm feeling a little more generous in some cases.

Bentley: 7 - another assured performance, good save from free-kick on half-time, very good save from Ayew second half.  A few panicky passes at one stage in second half, knocks him down from an 8.

Hunt: 7 - really seeing his best form in a City shirt up against a tricky Celina.  Looks confident, put in some teasing crosses, but unfortunately wasted a couple second half by crossing too early and nobody ready.

Rowe: 7 - how versatile is he.  LWB, LCB and LB today.  Like Hunt, up against a tough opponent in Ayew (don’t get me started on his play-acting), but coped very well, and was nice and physical on him when he could.  Thought the spell at LCB when Baker went off was our best spell of football, as we had Moore and Rowe to play out.

Moore: 8 - really coming of age.  Had a strong game today, especially when on a yellow quote early on.  Strong in the air, and some good challenges on Baston.  Passed it well today, not much to fault.

Williams: 9 - some of his positioning and covering was a Prem class.  Knows where to be for crosses and son a couple of huge headers when Swansea threatened.  Used the ball very effectively, and looked at home in a 4 late on.  LJ questioned whether his hips still had it during his trial....his feet are still quick from that performance.

Baker: 6 (30) - started steadily enough, but looked like he tweaked something 5 minutes before coming off.  Shame, let’s hope it’s nothing serious.  Replaced by Diedhiou

Diedhiou: 7 (60) - sneaked a 7, because I saw some good stuff from him, especially early on when he came on.  Some good control, spin and passes wide.  The ball to Hunt almost led to the opener late in first half.  Fantastic tackle on him in second half when he looked like he spun his marker.

Brownhill: 7 - boy did he get through some work today.  Drove us on in second half as he displayed a strong captain’s performance.  Just a tad wasteful in final third.  Encouraging performance against a team who tried to play through us.

Massengo: 9 - I’m sure it’s already been said all over this forum this evening.  My MOTM. Man in a boy’s body.  His anticipation was top class, his use of the body is so European.  I’m just waiting to see more of him in final third when Nagy is back.  Just passes the ball with the perfect weight. Wow!

O’Dowda: 7 (59) - thought he had a very mature game in a City shirt, lots of desire.  Was my pick first half, but think lack of minutes so far this season caught up with him, especially against a team that make you chase them.  Great cross almost led to Diedhiou goal in our best spell in the first half.  Replaced by Eliasson.

Eliasson: 6 (31) - kind of did what we expect when he got in the ball, just didn’t get on it enough.  Fell over at crucial points too.

Szmodics: 6 (54) - decent enough debut, with promise.  Couple of lovely touches and intelligent angled passes.  Didn’t look out of his depth.  More to come I think. Replaced by Palmer.

Palmer: 7 (36) - looked very good when he came on.  Bit of swagger and strong when trying to beat his man.  I can see why LJ started with his busy bees though.  One of those days of “almosts”.

Weimann: 6 - worked his socks off especially when he went back to LW, but didn’t take advantage of good positions, especially first half, when twice he came in on his left foot when I think he would have had a better chance going onto his right.  Can’t fault his application though.

Not sure what has been said elsewhere on OTIB tonight, but I saw the logic of the starting eleven, even though I was surprised.  Take the 0-0, 7 unbeaten....now for PNE.  Put it this way, Neil will have no idea how we are gonna line-up!

Some interesting stats for Brownhill v Massengo today (not that it's a comp between them though)

Pass Completion
Brownhill: 42/54 - 78%
Massengo: 19/27 - 70%

Aerial Duels Won
Brownhill: 5/6 - 83%
Massengo: 4/5 - 80%

Tackles Made
Brownhill: 5/5 - 100%
Massengo: 1/1 - 100%

Interceptions
Brownhill: 4
Massengo: 2

Clearances
Brownhill: 1
Massengo: 1

Times Dispossessed
Brownhill: 0
Massengo: 3

Shots
Brownhill: 3
Massengo: 0

28 minutes ago, Roe said:

Some interesting stats for Brownhill v Massengo today (not that it's a comp between them though)

Pass Completion

Aerial Duels Won

Tackles Made

Interceptions

Clearances

Times Dispossessed

Shots

Songs

Brownhill = 0%

HNM = 100%

I know stats aren't everything, but interesting all the same. It seems Josh was pretty decent today although not outstanding.

I don't normally get to do these unless I'm at one of our visits to the Midlands however, as I was at the Gate today, why not:

Bentley. 8 - A solid no dramas performance. Commands the box well and snuffed out a number of crosses and high balls. 

Hunt. 7 - going forward this guy is great. A solid player who gets stuck in. Most of the threat from Swansea came down his side and he needed plenty of cover from Moore or Williams. 

Moore. 7 - Great defensive work and better still after his booking where he had to work hard to avoid another at the hands of a picky Ref. 

Williams. 8 - OK, the guy doesn't get further up the pitch than the half way line which suggests that his fitness is still a work in progress however nothing went by him. A solid, composed performance. Made defending look relatively easy. 

Baker. 7 - seemed to spend the first 20 minutes covering Hunt just in case. Was doing well as part of the back three until he went off. 

Rowe. 7 - Was all over the left as the formations changed but got on with his job quietly. Obviously doing all the right things as very little from Swansea went down that side. 

Brownhill. 7. - possibly after Szmodics the player I noticed the least. Wasn't a bad performance, far from it, but didn't sparkle. 

Massengo. 7 - hustled and harried, broke up play and got stuck in. Really good at pinching the ball out from under a players toes. My only wish is that once he has the ball he looks to break a little more aggressively to turn defence into attack. Looking for the easy ball is fine for possession but today we needed to find something different to unlock the Swans. Great player though. 

O'Dowda. 7 - grew in to the game as the first half progressed. A decent performance. 

Szmodics. 5 - Not much to write about. Needed to be more creative but didn't really get into the game. 

Weimann. 6 - Busy and covered plenty of ground but unable to find a way through the Swansea defence. 

Diedhiou. 7 - Really shook things up when he came on. Covers a lot of ground and gave their defence something to think about. My biggest complaint was that he doesn't get stuck in enough when he's in the box. Compare the way Massengo fights for the ball and how Fammy seems to not stick his foot in and hustle in the box. 

Palmer. 6 - Got stuck in and added to the threat up front but not much in the way of end product. 

Eliasson. 6 - Overlapped well with Hunt but didn't bring too much more to the attack. Good to see he was fired up and gave the crowd a bit of a lift when he came in for the corner. 

Overall, we played well. With the fit players we currently have we are a strong, effective and easily top half of the championship team. What we currently lack is that sprinkle of magic football dust to turn a solid, hard working and effective side into a great one. I think we are only one or two great players away from being that team. Swansea were a decent side and I don’t see anyone in this division that we can't hold our own against. 

With a full, fit squad we really are on the cusp of something fantastic. 

As a sticker upper for Fam in general, and although his introduction helped, I thought he was sadly off today.

The old trampoline touch was well and truly back, and nothing really happened for him.

Couldn't give him a 7 for sure, more a 5 for me.

Same for Andi Weimann, loads of effort, an attacker who never looked like scoring in a home game. 5 or 6

15 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Songs

Brownhill = 0%

HNM = 100%

I know stats aren't everything, but interesting all the same. It seems Josh was pretty decent today although not outstanding.

Stats obviously aren't everything but I think it just goes to show that sometimes we don't always judge players equally, or fairly.  Sometimes players that we've already seen over 100 times can quickly become boring and it's easier to forget the impact they have.

6 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

As a sticker upper for Fam in general, and although his introduction helped, I thought he was sadly off today.

The old trampoline touch was well and truly back, and nothing really happened for him.

Couldn't give him a 7 for sure, more a 5 for me.

As the opposite, a bit of a critic of Diedhiou, I would say he had a decent game.

He wasn't as static as usual and his distribution of the  ball was much better.

I saw a better performance from him today.

2 minutes ago, Roe said:

Stats obviously aren't everything but I think it just goes to show that sometimes we don't always judge players equally, or fairly.  Sometimes players that we've already seen over 100 times can quickly become boring and it's easier to forget the impact they have.

ie Everybody knows HNM is truly brilliant, so we almost prejudge and assume he's had the better game than x y or z

Good points @Roe

3 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

As the opposite, a bit of a critic of Diedhiou, I would say he had a decent game.

The beauty of football to see all the different viewpoints from the games.

1 hour ago, Roe said:

Pass Completion

Aerial Duels Won

Tackles Made

Interceptions

Clearances

Times Dispossessed

Shots

This is very interesting. Unable to watch the game so I'm relying on OTIB reports, after reading through the ratings I got the impression that Brownhill had an average game and Massengo played better. These stats suggest otherwise? I know stats don't really tell the whole story but it seems some of what Josh does goes unnoticed? 

Edit. I see this point was raised as I was (slowly) typing! ?

2 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Songs

Brownhill = 0%

HNM = 100%

Tbf, did hear Josh's song for one of his free kicks.

Songs

Brownhill = 4%

HNM = 96%

6 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Bentley - 8 - Very composed throughout, good save from FK just before HT and excellent stop to deny Ayew when he was right through. On the whole very good distribution too.

Hunt - 7 - Defensively did ok, tried to offer overlap, crosses not quite as good this time around.

Moore - 7 - Thought he did very well after getting the early yellow card, mature performance.

Williams - 8 - Super solid at the back, seemed to be the one doing the organising too.

Baker - 7 - Looked sound up to the early substitution.

Rowe - 6 - Worked hard defensively, didn't offer anything on overlap.

Massengo - 8 - Really good CDM performance, retained and won possession really well.

Brownhill - 6 - Lots of effort, but lacks composure in and around the opposition box. Two good shooting position from FKs without seriously testing keeper.

Weimann - 6 - Usual endless running, but wasteful when in good positions.

Szmodics - 4 - Just never got in the game.

Fammy - 7 - Best performance from Fammy for a while, unlucky with first half effort that went just wide. Maybe should have done better with heading chance in 2nd half.

COD - 6 - Did a lot of defensive cover, didn't show much going forward aside from the cross in for Fammy chance.

Palmer - 6 - Didn't influence the game when he came on, but neat & tidy when in possession.

Eliasson - 5 - Disappointing for me, crosses and corner well below usual quality.

Overall, draw probably a fair result.

Are you being serious regarding Fam? He was woeful!,probably in the top 5 of his poor performances.

1. Static

2. Zero energy

3. Could not trap a bag of cement

He is simply not good enough for this level.

The most annoying thing for me is his control, closely followed by his torally inabilitiy , or desire, to attack the ball in the box.

2 hours ago, Roe said:

I know it’s gonna sound weird, but I think Massengo’s style on the ball, coupled with his hair, means you instantly recognise him from your seat.  Brownhill sometimes blends in.  Even if he shaved his hair off you’d still know it was him from afar.

2 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

I thought he was better today also.  Some good touches and distribution first half.

1 hour ago, David Brent said:

Rowe - 11

Give him player of the season already

When we signed him I think none of us realised how key he could be to our season. A player who Doncaster fans were not particularly fussed to lose has been 7/10 every week and has played, Cb, lb, lwb, lm, cm (probably others I’m forgetting too) and we are only 8 games into the season. I genuinely have no idea what position is the one he is meant to play. Seems a top pro as well talking to the defence all the time. 

5 hours ago, David Brent said:

Rowe - 11

Give him player of the season already

It was his best performance for us but nowhere near our best player imo. Offers very little on the overlap, though he was playing very narrow after Baker went off. Was as solid a game I've seen him play. I wouldn't call it outstanding though.

12 hours ago, JBFC II said:

6 and 5 for Brownhill is really harsh imo. Was absolutely everywhere today, led by example (despite being only 24 himself) and hit 2 good free kicks. Was in my top 3 today.

Shows how everyone sees the game differently!

I agree completely about Brownhill, and even the 2 free kicks that you say were good even if some might disagree.

First one was very far out. Keeper ran across well and saved. Didn't get enough behind it, not quite put far enough in the corner, but so far out it was a decent attempt.

Second free kick wall was nowhere near 10 yards. He struck it very well and hit top of wall. Had wall been back full 10 yards then who knows there that could have been heading.

Ashley Williams the clear MOTM for me. It was a joy to watch the way he defended and marshalled the back 4. He could be crucial for us going forward if he plays like that week in week out. 

I also thought Palmer was good when he came on. Probably the right call that he didn't start, yet I really like the way he shields the ball and drives forward

Archived