Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

fishy

Baker injury

Recommended Posts

On 21/09/2019 at 21:19, bcfc01 said:

He asked to come off as LJ said.

He feels a little discomfort and he's wanting to come off.

Its happened numerous times.

He's not to be trusted on the pitch.

Get rid.

Bullshit post.

And bullshit poster.

Here's another bull shit poster :) 

download bs.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/09/2019 at 21:12, JonDolman said:

I thought strangely Rowe was so narrow and more alongside Williams and Moore. O'Dowda was quite deep for a winger and more like a wing back. And Hunt seemed more advanced than Rowe the other side. That all changed second half when more subs were made, but it still for a while looked like 352 to me.

Spot on. No real change in shape, just that players were shuffled around 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't believe that anyone on here is criticising Baker for this. Anyone who has done any sport or heavy physical activity will know that sometimes you can feel an injury coming (unusual tightness/pain). To suggest that he should have gone on until damage was caused is ridiculous! Better to miss half a game than six?

Edited by Scrumpylegs
Spelling
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The odd thing about Baker in his time with us he has been subbed during or before half time 19 times!!

There is something not right about that

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Scrumpylegs said:

Can't believe that anyone on here is criticising Baker for this. Anyone who has done any sport or heavy physical activity will know that sometimes you can feel an injury coming (unusual tightness/pain). To suggest that he should have gone on until damage was caused is ridiculous! Better to miss half a game than six?

Unfortunately its not a rare occurrence with Baker. If he's so unfit he should consider a different career.

  • Flames 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s had a very good season so far and doesn’t shirk putting his body on the line. We need him right now and he’s played a significant role in our table position. Hopefully he was just using common sense to maintain his fitness and availability.  I think this season he deserves praise rather than any questions about his commitment and attitude. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, phantom said:

The odd thing about Baker in his time with us he has been subbed during or before half time 19 times!!

There is something not right about that

Can you or anyone remember something. A night game at home when Baker was on loan. I remember the opponents were attacking the Atyeo and played a through ball to where Baker was, and Baker instead of dealing with the through ball, turned towards the touchline and started walking off the pitch. And he didn't come back on.

One of the most bizarre things I've ever seen. I haven't seen it mentioned on here, but it was so strange. He didn't go down or anything, just ignored the ball and that they were running onto it. He wasn't limping either.

I remember thinking during that loan spell that he didn't look interested, and something didn't seem right. But then he seemed get better and maybe showed more desire in helping keep us up.

Definitely a weird one is Baker. LJ saying he is back and praising him for carrying on when he got kicked in one game earlier in the season suggests to me LJ thinks he should and could do that more often. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Things could be worse than feared, it looks like he might of chipped a finger nail as he’s been unable to sign is shit that is up for auction!

B0F8918D-280E-495B-AAC0-1A63656F8993.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, phantom said:

The odd thing about Baker in his time with us he has been subbed during or before half time 19 times!!

There is something not right about that

That stat was to bed on the first page of this thread:

 

FAKE NEWS:

In 88 appearances for City, he has been subbed during the first half or at half time:

Once this season.

3 times last season.

4 the season before, once for Steele after Frankie got sent off, so really 3 times.

TOTAL: 7 (8)

Yes he's had his fair share of injuries and suspensions, but your stat is plain incorrect.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Things could be worse than feared, it looks like he might of chipped a finger nail as he’s been unable to sign is shit that is up for auction!

B0F8918D-280E-495B-AAC0-1A63656F8993.png

To be fair, unless he’s had a night on the Guinness before producing,  I can’t see the pen making a decent mark for an autograph 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, David Brent said:

Amazed at the amount of people who know Nathan Baker better than Nathan Baker himself

I dont believe Bakers some kind of loafer tbh, theres something wrong with his cobs I heard... ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, wood_red said:

That stat was to bed on the first page of this thread:

 

FAKE NEWS:

In 88 appearances for City, he has been subbed during the first half or at half time:

Once this season.

3 times last season.

4 the season before, once for Steele after Frankie got sent off, so really 3 times.

TOTAL: 7 (8)

Yes he's had his fair share of injuries and suspensions, but your stat is plain incorrect.

....and a guy that has had back issues throughout his career....and backs caused knock on issues throughout the rest of the body.

Its not like we didn’t know what we were signing is it?

He’s been good this season...not sure he would’ve wanted to come off.

Bit imho, if he felt a twinge, he did the right thing.  Might mean he will be ok for this weekend.  If so, it was right thing to do.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

....and a guy that has had back issues throughout his career....and backs caused knock on issues throughout the rest of the body.

Its not like we didn’t know what we were signing is it?

He’s been good this season...not sure he would’ve wanted to come off.

Bit imho, if he felt a twinge, he did the right thing.  Might mean he will be ok for this weekend.  If so, it was right thing to do.

If he would have stayed on and got a serious injury, or cost us a goal etc he would have been slated on here and probably by LJ as well. 100% he done the right thing imo, nobody knows what he felt or how bad it was etc except for Baker himself - and he has been super for us so far this season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, phantom said:

The odd thing about Baker in his time with us he has been subbed during or before half time 19 times!!

There is something not right about that

**** me!!!

Talk about inflation!

It was 16 time earlier in the thread!

I refer the honorable gentleman to the reply in post 35 of this thread.

:innocent06:

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

....and a guy that has had back issues throughout his career....and backs caused knock on issues throughout the rest of the body.

Its not like we didn’t know what we were signing is it?

He’s been good this season...not sure he would’ve wanted to come off.

Bit imho, if he felt a twinge, he did the right thing.  Might mean he will be ok for this weekend.  If so, it was right thing to do.

Agree and to be fair to him he didn’t come off immediately. I could see he had done something  - I thought he’d injured his knee but understand it was calf - and he played on for a while after that so it is not as though he threw the towel in immediately.

Edited by eardun
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, wood_red said:

That stat was to bed on the first page of this thread:

 

FAKE NEWS:

In 88 appearances for City, he has been subbed during the first half or at half time:

Once this season.

3 times last season.

4 the season before, once for Steele after Frankie got sent off, so really 3 times.

TOTAL: 7 (8)

Yes he's had his fair share of injuries and suspensions, but your stat is plain incorrect.

Sorry to disappoint but it isn't "fake news"

Have a look through his stats on this site, all detailed here

 

EDIT: Just realised I forgot to post the link, luckilly @Davefevs was on the ball 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, phantom said:

Sorry to disappoint but it isn't "fake news"

Have a look through his stats on this site, all detailed here

Have you looked at the stats yourself?!

It is fake news - the original statement made was Baker has been subbed injured during the first half of a game 16 times (now 19?! according to you).

The figure is actually 8 times, and once was sacrificed for Frankie after he was sent off. 

The link to the stats given back that up. Have a look.

Edited by Alessandro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Have you looked at the stats yourself?!

It is fake news - the original statement made was Baker has been subbed injured during the first half of a game 16 times (now 19?! according to you).

The figure is actually 8 times, and once was sacrificed for Frankie after he was sent off. 

The link to the stats given back that up. Have a look.

Think the total differs depending on whether you include loan or not....but I can’t be arsed to check, as I’m not debating the numbers (most unlike me) 😂😂😂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Think the total differs depending on whether you include loan or not....but I can’t be arsed to check, as I’m not debating the numbers (most unlike me) 😂😂😂

Cheers - yes the stats in your link include 15/16 loan season.

Clearly shows he has subbed during the first half 8 times whilst playing for us.

Most likely more than anyone else in our squad, but not 19!

Edited by Alessandro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Cheers - yes the stats in your link include 15/16 loan season.

Clearly shows he has subbed during the first half 8 times whilst playing for us.

Most likely more than anyone else in our squad, but not 19!

Appears we were both wrong, no idea why I put 19 further up, it should have said 16 but none the less was 15 times

8 times during the first half and 7 times at half time

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, phantom said:

Appears we were both wrong, no idea why I put 19 further up, it should have said 16 but none the less was 15 times

8 times during the first half and 7 times at half time

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

I was quoting sub's during the first half with the number 8.

If we're adding half-time, yes another 7, however half time substitutions are more likely to have been a tactical one - very hard to call whether Baker was taken off at half time for injury reasons or if LJ was making a tactical change....

EDIT - just realised I put in original post at half time too, so apologies, should have read during first half, which was original argument being made.

Edited by Alessandro
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I was quoting sub's during the first half with the number 8.

If we're adding half-time, yes another 7, however half time substitutions are more likely to have been a tactical one - very hard to call whether Baker was taken off at half time for injury reasons or if LJ was making a tactical change....

EDIT - just realised I put in original post at half time too, so apologies, should have read during first half, which was original argument being made.

I actually think we were agreeing, but I hate to say often my point gets lost in the way I write it on here

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/09/2019 at 19:26, Alessandro said:

 

 

FAKE NEWS:

In 88 appearances for City, he has been subbed during the first half or at half time:

Once this season.

3 times last season.

4 the season before, once for Steele after Frankie got sent off, so really 3 times.

TOTAL: 7 (8)

Yes he's had his fair share of injuries and suspensions, but your stat is plain incorrect.

See below post from phantom. Saying only  7 substitutions is fake news. Implying the half time substitutions were tactical is farcical. 

43 minutes ago, phantom said:

Appears we were both wrong, no idea why I put 19 further up, it should have said 16 but none the less was 15 times

8 times during the first half and 7 times at half time

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

I’m glad you’ve posted this. I originally said 16 times in the first half, based on the fact that I read about a year ago that he’d gone of 14 times in first half and since then he’d gone off twice more  (I included not coming back for the second half as meaning he went off at half time. I’ve tried to find the article that detailed his injury based substitutions but, as yet, I’ve been unsuccessful. It was a Bristol Post article so it’s out there somewhere 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

See below post from phantom. Saying only  7 substitutions is fake news. Implying the half time substitutions were tactical is farcical. 

I’m glad you’ve posted this. I originally said 16 times in the first half, based on the fact that I read about a year ago that he’d gone of 14 times in first half and since then he’d gone off twice more  (I included not coming back for the second half as meaning he went off at half time. I’ve tried to find the article that detailed his injury based substitutions but, as yet, I’ve been unsuccessful. It was a Bristol Post article so it’s out there somewhere 

I would think somewhere between 0-2 inclusive we’re tactical imho

Edited by Davefevs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I would think somewhere between 0-2 inclusive we’re tactical imho

I’m happy to settle for that. Whatever to true figure is, there must be a fundamental problem with Baker that results in the number of times he fails to last 90 minutes. There’s no real pattern to his injuries so he may be unlucky inasmuch as he’s just someone who has a body too weak for professional sport, or it may be physiological. Some players can play on with an injury and other can’t 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

See below post from phantom. Saying only  7 substitutions is fake news. Implying the half time substitutions were tactical is farcical. 

I’m glad you’ve posted this. I originally said 16 times in the first half, based on the fact that I read about a year ago that he’d gone of 14 times in first half and since then he’d gone off twice more  (I included not coming back for the second half as meaning he went off at half time. I’ve tried to find the article that detailed his injury based substitutions but, as yet, I’ve been unsuccessful. It was a Bristol Post article so it’s out there somewhere 

What you originally said was he has been substituted 16 times in the first half - that is still incorrect - the number is 8.

I muddied the water by adding "and during half time" - which makes the answer now 14 or 15. I've put my hands up on that part, but the number 8 still stands as factual for during the first half.

I didn't say all the half time substitutions were tactical, but some may well have been if you look back at specific games, case in point when he came off for Steele when Frankie was sent off.

Still I think we all agree that it is more than anyone else in our squad and a high number.  

Edited by Alessandro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldn't be surprised if every single sub was due to injury. 

I wonder if Baker earns himself a new contract. Think it is up end of next season. Really would not mind selling in the summer. Bring in a centre back more like Webster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Wouldn't be surprised if every single sub was due to injury. 

I wonder if Baker earns himself a new contract. Think it is up end of next season. Really would not mind selling in the summer. Bring in a centre back more like Webster.

Yep runs out in Summer 2021.  Lot of time between now and then.  He’s played well this season and been an integral part.  I’m being a bit facetious when I say Baker has started 7 leagues games this season, all undefeated.  The 2 games he didn’t start....Leeds (League), QPR (Cup).

Think we have to judge whether this a minor knock, back quickly and a one-off....or whether it becomes commonplace.  If we get 7 out of him, miss 1 or 2, then another 7, miss 1 or 2, etc, etc, I think that is acceptable.  But that’s my view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep runs out in Summer 2021.  Lot of time between now and then.  He’s played well this season and been an integral part.  I’m being a bit facetious when I say Baker has started 7 leagues games this season, all undefeated.  The 2 games he didn’t start....Leeds (League), QPR (Cup).

Think we have to judge whether this a minor knock, back quickly and a one-off....or whether it becomes commonplace.  If we get 7 out of him, miss 1 or 2, then another 7, miss 1 or 2, etc, etc, I think that is acceptable.  But that’s my view.

I agree completely.  I think it's testament to Bakes that we've lost Kalas, but we've not felt the loss as badly as we were expecting.  He has been outstanding this season.  Shades of the Baker we thought we were signing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep runs out in Summer 2021.  Lot of time between now and then.  He’s played well this season and been an integral part.  I’m being a bit facetious when I say Baker has started 7 leagues games this season, all undefeated.  The 2 games he didn’t start....Leeds (League), QPR (Cup).

Think we have to judge whether this a minor knock, back quickly and a one-off....or whether it becomes commonplace.  If we get 7 out of him, miss 1 or 2, then another 7, miss 1 or 2, etc, etc, I think that is acceptable.  But that’s my view.

I think he has been much more like the Baker we signed up till Xmas 2017. He had a poor 18 months, and now he seems back to the old Baker.

I do have concerns about the regular injuries. And really hope his form continues as it is.

I do think that LJ will want more ball playing centre backs in the future. Baker at 28, so i guess 30 when his deal expires. I predict he wont get a new deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

What you originally said was he has been substituted 16 times in the first half - that is still incorrect - the number is 8.

 

I said it was approx 16 times that Baker had come off in the first half. If he goes off at half time and doesn’t come back that counts as going off in the first half for me. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...