IGNORED

Sammy Szmodics

kiwicolin

5 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Is he any better than Paterson though ? Maybe would have preferred Pato to stay, and I'm far from his biggest fan.

Completely agree with this - Pato would have played today.

I know we think we signed him because we couldn't get Palmer (and presumably couldn't afford to refuse to offload Pato's wages) but I can't help thinking we would have been much sharper in attic with Pato today?

Sammy was OK, did nothing wrong but really added very little creativity - 2 shots on target all game (one a free kick) and don't remember much from him (unfortunately). He's not that young can we afford to give him game time to adapt - ahead of perhaps Semenyo or even Eliasson?

I thought it generally passed him by. Worked hard, but not really involved. 

Thing is, he’s just jumped two levels. He’s playing against million pound plus players today who have been at the top level of the game. Last year he was playing against Yeovil.

He should learn from today. And he’s the very epitome of a player who actually even spending time in training around the squad should kick him on. He needs a fair bit of that before he’s really ready for this level.

Tried, worked, didn’t impact. But hopefully learnt a lot

15 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I thought it generally passed him by. Worked hard, but not really involved. 

Thing is, he’s just jumped two levels. He’s playing against million pound plus players today who have been at the top level of the game. Last year he was playing against Yeovil.

He should learn from today. And he’s the very epitome of a player who actually even spending time in training around the squad should kick him on. He needs a fair bit of that before he’s really ready for this level.

Tried, worked, didn’t impact. But hopefully learnt a lot

You've just said virtually everything I was going to say, SD.

He did little wrong, but didn't really make his mark on the game and it was an easy sub to make when we wanted to bring Palmer on. 

It might take at least a season for him to develop into the player we want. Whether he'll get such time remains to be seen.

A loan to a decent L1 side might have been a better option.

30 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Completely agree with this - Pato would have played today.

I know we think we signed him because we couldn't get Palmer (and presumably couldn't afford to refuse to offload Pato's wages) but I can't help thinking we would have been much sharper in attic with Pato today?

Sammy was OK, did nothing wrong but really added very little creativity - 2 shots on target all game (one a free kick) and don't remember much from him (unfortunately). He's not that young can we afford to give him game time to adapt - ahead of perhaps Semenyo or even Eliasson?

Its all odd,pato can’t get in a average derby side while we are trying out sammie in a position that he has barely played and not at all in the championship

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

You've just said virtually everything I was going to say, SD.

He did little wrong, but didn't really make his mark on the game and it was an easy sub to make when we wanted to bring Palmer on. 

It might take at least a season for him to develop into the player we want. Whether he'll get such time remains to be seen.

A loan to a decent L1 side might have been a better option.

Initially I’d agree RR but a point the very intelligent Tommy Rowe explained in his interview with Geoff Twentyman a couple of weeks back I found interesting and food for thought regarding loans or keep in squad

GT asked him at what point , if he had yet , did he feel comfortable playing Championship football

Rowe explained it was the actual training was the hurdle to conquer in its intensity and with and against Championship quality players 

He said rising to that challenge was the bigger challenge as opposed to then actually playing once you feel comfortable Anon training pitch

Coming from such a sensible and intelligent pro (The whole interview was excellent and interesting for those who havnt heard it) I found it both interesting,  and thought provoking 

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Initially I’d agree RR but a point the very intelligent Tommy Rowe explained in his interview with Geoff Twentyman a couple of weeks back I found interesting and food for thought regarding loans or keep in squad

GT asked him at what point , if he had yet , did he feel comfortable playing Championship football

Rowe explained it was the actual training was the hurdle to conquer in its intensity and with and against Championship quality players 

He said rising to that challenge was the bigger challenge as opposed to then actually playing once you feel comfortable Anon training pitch

Coming from such a sensible and intelligent pro (The whole interview was excellent and interesting for those who havnt heard it) I found it both interesting,  and thought provoking 

There’s a bit of proof here in Joe Morrell. It probably hugely benefitted him being around the squad last year as opposed to another loan, which means this year he’s ready to perform strongly in L1. We may see similar from Bakinson next year.

It depends where the management see development as best. Is there any benefit in Sammie being the best player in a L1 side immediately - or is he better off being one of the weaker players in a championship squad and learning?

Everyone in this case is different

Thought he had some nice touches but was not involved enough. Pressed well. I don't see how that's a really bad performance. I would have swapped him and O'Dowda, as Sammie looked a bit too lightweight up top. I think O'Dowda could have used his body better against the big pair they have in defence. And O'Dowda got more pace in behind too. I know it's not O'Dowda's position, but I feel that could have worked better than Sammie right up top.

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

There’s a bit of proof here in Joe Morrell. It probably hugely benefitted him being around the squad last year as opposed to another loan, which means this year he’s ready to perform strongly in L1. We may see similar from Bakinson next year.

It depends where the management see development as best. Is there any benefit in Sammie being the best player in a L1 side immediately - or is he better off being one of the weaker players in a championship squad and learning?

Everyone in this case is different

Good point re Joe

Id keep SS here Silvio 

One of the reasons I went down to the U23 game , was I wanted to see him live and be able to watch him , and some others as opposed to the game generally 

My initial impression then was that he’s slight , has some excellent skills , back heels and flicks and absolute bursts with enthusiasm and willingness to work

He showed some real hot touches of ability but I thought he looked a little headless and lost at times and actually ran and charged around too much

I thought it was a tough game to come into and I felt for him when he ended up trying to play a tough role on rhs of midfield which certainly is not his game

I would guess that he could do with training at this level with some individual work and guidance on movement, positioning and his best role  - he’s certainly got the exciting individual skills 

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Good point re Joe

Id keep SS here Silvio 

One of the reasons I went down to the U23 game , was I wanted to see him live and be able to watch him , and some others as opposed to the game generally 

My initial impression then was that he’s slight , has some excellent skills , back heels and flicks and absolute bursts with enthusiasm and willingness to work

He showed some real hot touches of ability but I thought he looked a little headless and lost at times and actually ran and charged around too much

I thought it was a tough game to come into and I felt for him when he ended up trying to play a tough role on rhs of midfield which certainly is not his game

I would guess that he could do with training at this level with some individual work and guidance on movement, positioning and his best role  - he’s certainly got the exciting individual skills 

I’d probably agree Bob. What I got out of today from him (bizarrely) is that I think he needs to almost temper his enthusiasm to make the most of the strong suits you highlight.

Example - after about half an hour, Weimann was moving through on the edge of the box, Sammie came through on his left hand side and for me got too close to Andi - not enough to break his run, but enough to be in eyeline and make AW consider it he should play a ball without Sammie having ever been in a position to get it

The run was made with real enthusiasm but totally wrong. May have got away with it at L2 but not at this level. That will be learnt through training - so I’d agree, I’d keep SS here as I think he’ll learn quicker than in L1 when that run may get a better result

Archived