Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

kiwicolin

Sammy Szmodics

Recommended Posts

Thought he played well today. Big step up for him but he ran his socks off to. More exciting things to come from him this season and next.

  • Like 2
  • Confused 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kiwicolin said:

Thought he played well today. Big step up for him but he ran his socks off to. More exciting things to come from him this season and next.

dunno. Bit average to me.

Maybe got stuff to work on.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly thought the game totally passed him by, he worked hard but can't think of anything he did for us attacking wise, think he will need a run of games to get used to the pace of the championship

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

I thought he was very poor and didn’t get involved. KP should start ahead of him every week.

I think KP is sub because he is carrying a knock otherwise he would be playing ahead of Sammy. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bloke started his first game playing out of position. Why who knows. Ask LJ. BUT to give him grief is bit of a joke. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I promise you that  if there was anyone more thrilled or excited to make his debut , or to do well here , I’d be amazed 

For that reason alone I desperately hope he succeeds

Edited by BobBobSuperBob
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Is he any better than Paterson though ? Maybe would have preferred Pato to stay, and I'm far from his biggest fan.

Completely agree with this - Pato would have played today.

I know we think we signed him because we couldn't get Palmer (and presumably couldn't afford to refuse to offload Pato's wages) but I can't help thinking we would have been much sharper in attic with Pato today?

Sammy was OK, did nothing wrong but really added very little creativity - 2 shots on target all game (one a free kick) and don't remember much from him (unfortunately). He's not that young can we afford to give him game time to adapt - ahead of perhaps Semenyo or even Eliasson?

Edited by Dullmoan Tone
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought it generally passed him by. Worked hard, but not really involved. 

Thing is, he’s just jumped two levels. He’s playing against million pound plus players today who have been at the top level of the game. Last year he was playing against Yeovil.

He should learn from today. And he’s the very epitome of a player who actually even spending time in training around the squad should kick him on. He needs a fair bit of that before he’s really ready for this level.

Tried, worked, didn’t impact. But hopefully learnt a lot

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I thought it generally passed him by. Worked hard, but not really involved. 

Thing is, he’s just jumped two levels. He’s playing against million pound plus players today who have been at the top level of the game. Last year he was playing against Yeovil.

He should learn from today. And he’s the very epitome of a player who actually even spending time in training around the squad should kick him on. He needs a fair bit of that before he’s really ready for this level.

Tried, worked, didn’t impact. But hopefully learnt a lot

You've just said virtually everything I was going to say, SD.

He did little wrong, but didn't really make his mark on the game and it was an easy sub to make when we wanted to bring Palmer on. 

It might take at least a season for him to develop into the player we want. Whether he'll get such time remains to be seen.

A loan to a decent L1 side might have been a better option.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very harsh to read much into a game so early in his career. Needs 10 games really before we'll know what he's about. Always surprises me that football fans seem so keen to make negative judgements on players so quickly when they first join.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Completely agree with this - Pato would have played today.

I know we think we signed him because we couldn't get Palmer (and presumably couldn't afford to refuse to offload Pato's wages) but I can't help thinking we would have been much sharper in attic with Pato today?

Sammy was OK, did nothing wrong but really added very little creativity - 2 shots on target all game (one a free kick) and don't remember much from him (unfortunately). He's not that young can we afford to give him game time to adapt - ahead of perhaps Semenyo or even Eliasson?

Its all odd,pato can’t get in a average derby side while we are trying out sammie in a position that he has barely played and not at all in the championship

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

You've just said virtually everything I was going to say, SD.

He did little wrong, but didn't really make his mark on the game and it was an easy sub to make when we wanted to bring Palmer on. 

It might take at least a season for him to develop into the player we want. Whether he'll get such time remains to be seen.

A loan to a decent L1 side might have been a better option.

Initially I’d agree RR but a point the very intelligent Tommy Rowe explained in his interview with Geoff Twentyman a couple of weeks back I found interesting and food for thought regarding loans or keep in squad

GT asked him at what point , if he had yet , did he feel comfortable playing Championship football

Rowe explained it was the actual training was the hurdle to conquer in its intensity and with and against Championship quality players 

He said rising to that challenge was the bigger challenge as opposed to then actually playing once you feel comfortable Anon training pitch

Coming from such a sensible and intelligent pro (The whole interview was excellent and interesting for those who havnt heard it) I found it both interesting,  and thought provoking 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to ask much of him after being thrown in against one of the best sides in the league after 0 league minutes so far this season. Bizarre choice 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Initially I’d agree RR but a point the very intelligent Tommy Rowe explained in his interview with Geoff Twentyman a couple of weeks back I found interesting and food for thought regarding loans or keep in squad

GT asked him at what point , if he had yet , did he feel comfortable playing Championship football

Rowe explained it was the actual training was the hurdle to conquer in its intensity and with and against Championship quality players 

He said rising to that challenge was the bigger challenge as opposed to then actually playing once you feel comfortable Anon training pitch

Coming from such a sensible and intelligent pro (The whole interview was excellent and interesting for those who havnt heard it) I found it both interesting,  and thought provoking 

There’s a bit of proof here in Joe Morrell. It probably hugely benefitted him being around the squad last year as opposed to another loan, which means this year he’s ready to perform strongly in L1. We may see similar from Bakinson next year.

It depends where the management see development as best. Is there any benefit in Sammie being the best player in a L1 side immediately - or is he better off being one of the weaker players in a championship squad and learning?

Everyone in this case is different

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought he had some nice touches but was not involved enough. Pressed well. I don't see how that's a really bad performance. I would have swapped him and O'Dowda, as Sammie looked a bit too lightweight up top. I think O'Dowda could have used his body better against the big pair they have in defence. And O'Dowda got more pace in behind too. I know it's not O'Dowda's position, but I feel that could have worked better than Sammie right up top.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

There’s a bit of proof here in Joe Morrell. It probably hugely benefitted him being around the squad last year as opposed to another loan, which means this year he’s ready to perform strongly in L1. We may see similar from Bakinson next year.

It depends where the management see development as best. Is there any benefit in Sammie being the best player in a L1 side immediately - or is he better off being one of the weaker players in a championship squad and learning?

Everyone in this case is different

Good point re Joe

Id keep SS here Silvio 

One of the reasons I went down to the U23 game , was I wanted to see him live and be able to watch him , and some others as opposed to the game generally 

My initial impression then was that he’s slight , has some excellent skills , back heels and flicks and absolute bursts with enthusiasm and willingness to work

He showed some real hot touches of ability but I thought he looked a little headless and lost at times and actually ran and charged around too much

I thought it was a tough game to come into and I felt for him when he ended up trying to play a tough role on rhs of midfield which certainly is not his game

I would guess that he could do with training at this level with some individual work and guidance on movement, positioning and his best role  - he’s certainly got the exciting individual skills 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Good point re Joe

Id keep SS here Silvio 

One of the reasons I went down to the U23 game , was I wanted to see him live and be able to watch him , and some others as opposed to the game generally 

My initial impression then was that he’s slight , has some excellent skills , back heels and flicks and absolute bursts with enthusiasm and willingness to work

He showed some real hot touches of ability but I thought he looked a little headless and lost at times and actually ran and charged around too much

I thought it was a tough game to come into and I felt for him when he ended up trying to play a tough role on rhs of midfield which certainly is not his game

I would guess that he could do with training at this level with some individual work and guidance on movement, positioning and his best role  - he’s certainly got the exciting individual skills 

 

 

I’d probably agree Bob. What I got out of today from him (bizarrely) is that I think he needs to almost temper his enthusiasm to make the most of the strong suits you highlight.

Example - after about half an hour, Weimann was moving through on the edge of the box, Sammie came through on his left hand side and for me got too close to Andi - not enough to break his run, but enough to be in eyeline and make AW consider it he should play a ball without Sammie having ever been in a position to get it

The run was made with real enthusiasm but totally wrong. May have got away with it at L2 but not at this level. That will be learnt through training - so I’d agree, I’d keep SS here as I think he’ll learn quicker than in L1 when that run may get a better result

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kiwicolin said:

Thought he played well today. Big step up for him but he ran his socks off to. More exciting things to come from him this season and next.

Not as good as Beauden Barrett, Col. Like to see Lansdown pull his finger out and splash the cash on the boy Barrett in January. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Put in with emphasis to press their defence with Weimann to nullify their playing out from the back. Was fairly effective in this manner, but it largely removed any goal threat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought he did well today, I was quite sad to see him go off if I’m honest. I thought he looked up for it and showed lots of energy. 

Reading most of the above posts it seems I am out on my own a bit here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’d probably agree Bob. What I got out of today from him (bizarrely) is that I think he needs to almost temper his enthusiasm to make the most of the strong suits you highlight.

Example - after about half an hour, Weimann was moving through on the edge of the box, Sammie came through on his left hand side and for me got too close to Andi - not enough to break his run, but enough to be in eyeline and make AW consider it he should play a ball without Sammie having ever been in a position to get it

The run was made with real enthusiasm but totally wrong. May have got away with it at L2 but not at this level. That will be learnt through training - so I’d agree, I’d keep SS here as I think he’ll learn quicker than in L1 when that run may get a better result

 

Was that the one where Weimann lashed a shot with his left foot over the bar?  If so, then yes, think he got in his eyeline, although, the run might have meant it better that Weimann went the other way onto his stronger right foot.

There was one lovely touch and spin away from his marker, and then a reverse pass into Hunt who was then away.

Flashes to know there is a player in there.  Starter every week?  Nope, but contribute by being a regular in the 18?  Yep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Was that the one where Weimann lashed a shot with his left foot over the bar?  If so, then yes, think he got in his eyeline, although, the run might have meant it better that Weimann went the other way onto his stronger right foot.

There was one lovely touch and spin away from his marker, and then a reverse pass into Hunt who was then away.

Flashes to know there is a player in there.  Starter every week?  Nope, but contribute by being a regular in the 18?  Yep.

That’s the one Dave. In real-time it looked to me like Andi broke his composure as to what he had planned because of Sammies run - there was a definite, albeit half second check which gave Swansea the space to close. 

Agree with the conclusion as to where SS is at this moment in time

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have to remember at which level he came from and I got the impression that he wasn’t up to the pace of the Championship quite yet. He looked a little lost at times but with more Championship games he’ll acclimatise.and get used to tempo.

Players can train as hard as they can but it’s game time that really makes the difference to match fitness. The 70 mins he got today will help of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FrozenRobin said:

dunno. Bit average to me.

Maybe got stuff to work on.

 

Yep.

He didn't get a lot of the ball and what he did get he did nothing with it.

As debuts go, it wasn't the best imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Not as good as Beauden Barrett, Col. Like to see Lansdown pull his finger out and splash the cash on the boy Barrett in January. 

No chance.  Barrett can't for another club other than in nz,  otherwise he can't play for the all blacks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Not as good as Beauden Barrett, Col. Like to see Lansdown pull his finger out and splash the cash on the boy Barrett in January. 

Good point thought I think it would be harsh on Charles Piatau

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember Brownhill’s first game against Wigan and he was worse than Sammie. He was younger but still first championship match and didn’t do anything wrong and worked hard. Get him some appearances off the bench more often and hopefully ready to contribute more towards the end of the season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Surprised Semenyo didn’t get a start. Think he’d have been good for today’s game. 

Exactly this. Seemed like the perfect game to chuck Antoine in to. With his pace and power he seemed the most likely candidate to replace Afobe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/09/2019 at 21:18, RedM said:

I thought he did well today, I was quite sad to see him go off if I’m honest. I thought he looked up for it and showed lots of energy. 

Reading most of the above posts it seems I am out on my own a bit here. 

I must say I kept forgetting that he was playing, although to these old eyes, I found telling him and AW apart from a distance quite difficult. It might be that I was attributing some of his work to the wrong guy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably very nervous. This was a big game for him.

Didn't want to do anything wrong and just kept to orders and did the basics.

More to come I think. 👍

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I must say I kept forgetting that he was playing, although to these old eyes, I found telling him and AW apart from a distance quite difficult. It might be that I was attributing some of his work to the wrong guy.

 

Same here mate. I had to rely on the shirt numbers most of the time - they do look very alike when they`re on the pitch.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I must say I kept forgetting that he was playing, although to these old eyes, I found telling him and AW apart from a distance quite difficult. It might be that I was attributing some of his work to the wrong guy.

 

Maybe that was my problem too then!😀

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Same here mate. I had to rely on the shirt numbers most of the time - they do look very alike when they`re on the pitch.

You can still pick out shirt numbers RRH ?

Fair play !

I celebrated ‘Benik’ scoring against Middlesborough for 3 or 4 mins  :laughcont:

When you can’t decipher a shiny palette from funky dreads at 70 yards it’s time for new glasses !

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...