IGNORED

Free agent - striker

Lez

Having listened to press conference seems to me like we will be dropping into free agent market for a striker. LJ says there were 3 or 4 top players available but obviously wouldn't confirm anything.

So would expect us to get someone in and not wait until Jan....will be interesting as he said they have had contact from agents so watch this space?

4 hours ago, Milan djurichimovic said:

jonathas de jesus

https://youtu.be/WDTZolI7ZiM

Interesting one. Looks very powerful and bit of pace. According to FM he isn't the hardest worker, but then it could be argued how much work does Fam get through when he is knackered so easily. 

I think a striker would be handy, but has to be a very good one or else no point.

Hooper would surely not be that good a signing, and question marks over Bony. Maybe this guy is a better option. But then hard for a 30 year old to come into championship who has never played English football before.

I'm surprised LJ said there are 3 or 4 options. Seems like there are even less good options out there than that from the list I have seen.

5 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Interesting one. Looks very powerful and bit of pace. According to FM he isn't the hardest worker, but then it could be argued how much work does Fam get through when he is knackered so easily. 

I think a striker would be handy, but has to be a very good one or else no point.

Hooper would surely not be that good a signing, and question marks over Bony. Maybe this guy is a better option. But then hard for a 30 year old to come into championship who has never played English football before.

I'm surprised LJ said there are 3 or 4 options. Seems like there are even less good options out there than that from the list I have seen.

I think this was more of a menace to the attackers already here.

As strikers are the most sought after commodity there must be big question marks over those who are not snapped up by  clubs . 

20 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

I'm away at the moment, so haven't heard the LJ interview. Is the OP guessing LJ thoughts, or did he practically say we are looking at free players? Just interested as this is a huge issue for me. Think Bony could be a cracking signing and have a really good feeling this could work out.

Quoted in Interview saying looking at Free targets and that agents have been in touch.

My issue would be, any free agent coming in now would of had none to very little ’pre season’, so what are the chances of them being ready before January anyway?

Unless of course any potential ‘proper’ signings for January are already proving difficult to get done & we know we’re unlikely to be able to sign anyone of the true caliber that we want?

10 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I would take Bony all day long, get the Swansea old boys back together.

Time to revive the career of Michu?

Seriously though, if we could get Bony back to how he was 2 years ago, why not?

That's the question. He hasn't played that regularly since 2015/16 and in that time has had injuries and malaria.

Also, I'm sceptical of whether that's his 'real' age. 'Wild speculation' here, but it wouldn't surprise me that much if he's 4/5 years older than he says. Would explain why he appeared to have his best years at 24/25.

Malaria and other viral illnesses can really ruin someone's career, look at David Clarkson - was never quite the same after having a terrible viral illness.

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That's the question. He hasn't played that regularly since 2015/16 and in that time has had injuries and malaria.

Also, I'm sceptical of whether that's his 'real' age. 'Wild speculation' here, but it wouldn't surprise me that much if he's 4/5 years older than he says. Would explain why he appeared to have his best years at 24/25.

Malaria and other viral illnesses can really ruin someone's career, look at David Clarkson - was never quite the same after having a terrible viral illness.

Agree with this.

But the proximity to Swansea and the fact he was training with Newport makes him an option from a practical point of view.

I'd be happy for him to come in, ala Williams and have a trial. If he can prove fitness and application, a short term deal, maybe in even pay as you play and big goal bonus deal until January could be a fairly low risk punt.

Ultimately the player isn't earning and we could be a good fit for him too, so even taking a considerable pay cut - say 20k per week until Jan is almost a quarter of a mill that he wouldn't earn sat at home and could, if he plays well, get him another, better deal, elsewhere in January. 

Or his legs and application are gone and it's a waste of 200k. I'm sure LJ will be able to get good feedback from his training at Newport.

I think it's amusing how people assume things about African players ages.  Basically there are a few cases where players migrate from war zones and have lost papers, or have come to Europe via unconventional means.  But in wilfreds case I expect he's the age on his passport. 

I would take him on the terms @Alessandro mentioned and nothing else. 

As our promotion chances have received a pretty terminal kick in the nuts with the injury to Afobe. Perhaps we could persuade another club were to end a contract with one of their reserve strikers and we just happened to sign him 20 minutes later on the promise that we sign another player from them for £10 million in January. Reckon that our credit will be regarded as pretty much gilt edged out there in football land. 

Clearly there’s an elephant in the room that it’s contrived to get around the rules. But experience tells us that the rules are tightened only after someone has got away with it. 

1 hour ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

I think it's amusing how people assume things about African players ages.  Basically there are a few cases where players migrate from war zones and have lost papers, or have come to Europe via unconventional means.  But in wilfreds case I expect he's the age on his passport. 

I would take him on the terms @Alessandro mentioned and nothing else. 

In this country it is illegal to change your date of birth.

In other countries you have until your start of secondary to set your age / dob.

This subject came up in work this week!!!

Archived