IGNORED

Free agent - striker

Lez

23 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That's the question. He hasn't played that regularly since 2015/16 and in that time has had injuries and malaria.

Also, I'm sceptical of whether that's his 'real' age. 'Wild speculation' here, but it wouldn't surprise me that much if he's 4/5 years older than he says. Would explain why he appeared to have his best years at 24/25.

Malaria and other viral illnesses can really ruin someone's career, look at David Clarkson - was never quite the same after having a terrible viral illness.

So is Michael Owen about 10 years older than he claims, as his best years were before he was 24/25?

6 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

It's something that happened once and is lazily thrown around at other players who peak early.

I don't need to google it thanks.

Well it seems to be more common in certain zones. Media debates wise anyway.

I googled it quickly and seems that the famous Taribo West was apparently 12 years older than his age- dunno if that's the case you're referring to.

31 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

It's something that happened once and is lazily thrown around at other players who peak early.

You do realise that a fair number of children who have come to the Uk , often as refugees , some as orphans don’t even know their dob or age  ?

( Thats not a guess , that’s from personal experience / knowledge )

40 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

So is Michael Owen about 10 years older than he claims, as his best years were before he was 24/25?

No? Have a look at this

38 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

It's just OTIB James, you don't always need to get so shirty all the time

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

You do realise that a fair number of children who have come to the Uk , often as refugees , some as orphans don’t even know their dob or age  ?

( Thats not a guess , that’s from personal experience / knowledge )

That isnt the case with Bony though is it?

He played in Ivory Coast until 2008 before his transfer to Sparta Prague. 

If he had come here as a refugee child 20 years ago then fine. But he didnt.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Literally backed up what I'm saying.

It happened a couple (literally) of times above youth level. The majority of those in there being for u17 or whatever age group teams.

Don't think Bony will be in our u16s do you?

Do you think Michael Owen actually 10 years older than he claims? He peaked early, and like Bony had some big injuries. No malaria though.

8 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Literally backed up what I'm saying.

It happened a couple (literally) of times above youth level. The majority of those in there being for u17 or whatever age group teams.

Don't think Bony will be in our u16s do you?

Do you think Michael Owen actually 10 years older than he claims? He peaked early, and like Bony had some big injuries. No malaria though.

It's just a discussion point - there's really no need to get so cross about it.

There's lots of rumours of African players being older than they are, the reasons for that vary. It's hard to prove but to name but three there's speculation that Obafemi Martins, Kanu, Okocha (to name but three high profile examples) were older than they claimed. I just gave you a Wiki link but if you google it (although for some reason you've said you won't be doing that) you will see wide discussion about it online.

I have no knowledge either way of whether Bony is older than he claims, just put it out there as one possible explanation why he seemed to have his best years a while ago despite only being 30. (I even coined it as 'wild speculation' to illustrate I thought it was a bit of a wacky point!)

Michael Owen is a silly example because there's no known issues or widespread rumours of English players faking their ages in the same way.

I didn't anticipate you taking such exception to a discussion point - but I've decided to spell out above my reasoning for raising that brief point and a bit of background. 

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

There's lots of rumours of African players being older than they are, the reasons for that vary. It's hard to prove but to name but three there's speculation that Obafemi Martins, Kanu, Okocha (to name but three high profile examples) were older than they claimed. I just gave you a Wiki link but if you google it (although for some reason you've said you won't be doing that) you will see wide discussion about it online.

I have no knowledge either way of whether Bony is older than he claims, just put it out there as one possible explanation why he seemed to have his best years a while ago despite only being 30. (I even coined it as 'wild speculation' to illustrate I thought it was a bit of a wacky point!)

Michael Owen is a silly example because there's no known issues or widespread rumours of English players faking their ages in the same way.

I didn't anticipate you taking such exception to a discussion point - but I've decided to spell out above my reasoning for raising that brief point and a bit of background. 

The only European in the link you sent was an Englishman. 

Not a player, but still a case of someone, apparently, faking their age.

I'm claiming to be an expert on it, I just find it is a very lazy conspiracy to throw at someone who apparently peaked early, which also ignores that they had big injuries or a very severe illness while at the age most players would be in their prime.

Yes Owen was a silly example, but it was there to make a point.

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

The only European in the link you said was an Englishman. 

Not a player, but still a case of someone, apparently, faking their age.

I'm claiming to be an expert on it, I just find it is a very lazy conspiracy to throw at someone who apparently peaked early, which also ignores that they had big injuries or a very severe illness while at the age most players would be in their prime.

Yes Owen was a silly example, but it was there to make a point.

Well I've told you my reasoning for raising that brief point (coined wild speculation!) so there you go. Didn't anticipate such a reaction!

I don't know the answer about Bony's age, you don't either - it's still fine to put it out there as a possible explanation.

10 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Was this not the issue with Obafemi Martins? Was supposedly 4 years older than he claimed.

It was claimed about Martins, though it seems Nigerian bloggers were just saying it about all their players after a bad international tournament. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/feb/21/nigerian-football-age-old-problem

There has been a history of some countries- particularly Nigeria- faking the player ages, but once again this is mostly at youth level and there are now measures used to prevent that.

19 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Well I've told you my reasoning for raising that brief point (coined wild speculation!) so there you go. Didn't anticipate such a reaction!

I don't know the answer about Bony's age, you don't either - it's still fine to put it out there as a possible explanation.

I'm sick of idiotic conspiracy theories on here, or just what people are thinking might be the case being stated as fact.

From the Chelsea bought Massengo for us, injuries, Arsenal with Nketiah, etc.

Not saying this necessarily fits exactly as one of those, but it IS a conspiracy without anything to back it up.

Evidence of different countries faking ages at youth level bears no relevance to a senior player, nor do rumours made up by Nigerian bloggers after their national team put in a particularly poor performance.

Equally, the fact that some refugee children might not know their age isn't relevant in the case of a player who stayed in his country of birth until his late teens and who came from a background that wasnt poor- his own words.

You say I don't know the answer about Bony's age as if him being his actual age is just as likely as him having faked it.ffs

In the long distance past, PG (pre- google), older players that were signed, no matter the territory they came from, always seemed to claim to be 29. We used to refer to it as "a footballers 29" , the idea in those days was that after 30 their career was coming to an end. I suppose to an extent there is still that thought, but many more players continue to be effective after 30 these days. 

29 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I'm sick of idiotic conspiracy theories on here, or just what people are thinking might be the case being stated as fact.

From the Chelsea bought Massengo for us, injuries, Arsenal with Nketiah, etc.

Not saying this necessarily fits exactly as one of those, but it IS a conspiracy without anything to back it up.

Evidence of different countries faking ages at youth level bears no relevance to a senior player, nor do rumours made up by Nigerian bloggers after their national team put in a particularly poor performance.

Equally, the fact that some refugee children might not know their age isn't relevant in the case of a player who stayed in his country of birth until his late teens and who came from a background that wasnt poor- his own words.

You say I don't know the answer about Bony's age as if him being his actual age is just as likely as him having faked it.ffs

Calm Down Chill Out GIF by Justin

? I always remember this one from a few years ago. He must have had a tough life to look like that aged 17! Kid would still just be 22 now could be worth a shot?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2642299/amp/Joseph-Minala-told-resume-career-Lazio-youth-team-proving-hes-17-not-42.html

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

My memory not so good now but wasn’t That Cameroon striker who had a brilliant World Cup a few years ago way older than he said? Roger miller I think ? 

21 hours ago, TBW said:

Like WIlbraham was past League One? Like Afobe was past the Championship?

Wilbraham was released when Palace were in the Premier League and Benik played 50 games for Stoke last season scoring 9, clearly the talent was there but he had lost form. 

That isn't past it. When they signed they were leagues above the standard that Hooper and Bony find themselves now, who by comparison made 13 appearances between them for their respective Championship clubs last season. 

3 hours ago, marcofisher said:

Wilbraham was released when Palace were in the Premier League and Benik played 50 games for Stoke last season scoring 9, clearly the talent was there but he had lost form. 

That isn't past it. When they signed they were leagues above the standard that Hooper and Bony find themselves now, who by comparison made 13 appearances between them for their respective Championship clubs last season. 

Palace may have been in the Prem but Wilbs was very much a reserve. He made only 4 appearances in the Prem and scored no goals so we weren't exactly signing a player in proven form.

Archived