Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Lez

Free agent - striker

Recommended Posts

Having listened to press conference seems to me like we will be dropping into free agent market for a striker. LJ says there were 3 or 4 top players available but obviously wouldn't confirm anything.

So would expect us to get someone in and not wait until Jan....will be interesting as he said they have had contact from agents so watch this space?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

Gary Hooper - only 31, but hasn't had a great few last seasons

Could be a decent shout that....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Europe?

Neither Bony- injury record last couple of seasons, nor Hooper especially excite me. Think Hooper had a reasonable 2017/18 though, unsure what his injury record is like.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, EmersonsKev said:

or there could possible reason why he's without a club.

wouldnt touch his ex strike partner Anthony Stokes with a barge pole, but Hooper? Wonder whats gone wrong. I always figured he was a decent striker

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EmersonsKev said:

or there could possible reason why he's without a club.

You could say that about all free agents though, couldn't you?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, NNSnse said:

You could say that about all free agents though, couldn't you?

Connery, Brosnan , Moore, Craig ?  …. tbh I'd be both shaken and stirred if we were in for any of 'em … (the squad number on the shirt would be good though) 

Edited by WhistleHappy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

May as well give our youths a chance if needed. A freebie is going to take time to get fit and adapt. Have faith in Semenyo. One goal and his confidence will soar 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Milan djurichimovic said:

jonathas de jesus

 

https://youtu.be/WDTZolI7ZiM

Interesting one. Looks very powerful and bit of pace. According to FM he isn't the hardest worker, but then it could be argued how much work does Fam get through when he is knackered so easily. 

I think a striker would be handy, but has to be a very good one or else no point.

Hooper would surely not be that good a signing, and question marks over Bony. Maybe this guy is a better option. But then hard for a 30 year old to come into championship who has never played English football before.

I'm surprised LJ said there are 3 or 4 options. Seems like there are even less good options out there than that from the list I have seen.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Interesting one. Looks very powerful and bit of pace. According to FM he isn't the hardest worker, but then it could be argued how much work does Fam get through when he is knackered so easily. 

I think a striker would be handy, but has to be a very good one or else no point.

Hooper would surely not be that good a signing, and question marks over Bony. Maybe this guy is a better option. But then hard for a 30 year old to come into championship who has never played English football before.

I'm surprised LJ said there are 3 or 4 options. Seems like there are even less good options out there than that from the list I have seen.

I think this was more of a menace to the attackers already here.

As strikers are the most sought after commodity there must be big question marks over those who are not snapped up by  clubs . 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm away at the moment, so haven't heard the LJ interview. Is the OP guessing LJ thoughts, or did he practically say we are looking at free players? Just interested as this is a huge issue for me. Think Bony could be a cracking signing and have a really good feeling this could work out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

I'm away at the moment, so haven't heard the LJ interview. Is the OP guessing LJ thoughts, or did he practically say we are looking at free players? Just interested as this is a huge issue for me. Think Bony could be a cracking signing and have a really good feeling this could work out.

Quoted in Interview saying looking at Free targets and that agents have been in touch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My issue would be, any free agent coming in now would of had none to very little ’pre season’, so what are the chances of them being ready before January anyway?

Unless of course any potential ‘proper’ signings for January are already proving difficult to get done & we know we’re unlikely to be able to sign anyone of the true caliber that we want?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

If we could get Bony or Jonathas on a short term deal until January where we then bring in a proper replacement (much like Williams) I don't think many of us would have any complaints. 

Yea I’m sure they’d sign for us on those terms 🤥

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Redandwhitescarf said:

We have a striker already in Antoine Semenyo. 

Is he a striker?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would take Bony all day long, get the Swansea old boys back together.

Time to revive the career of Michu?

Seriously though, if we could get Bony back to how he was 2 years ago, why not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I would take Bony all day long, get the Swansea old boys back together.

Time to revive the career of Michu?

Seriously though, if we could get Bony back to how he was 2 years ago, why not?

That's the question. He hasn't played that regularly since 2015/16 and in that time has had injuries and malaria.

Also, I'm sceptical of whether that's his 'real' age. 'Wild speculation' here, but it wouldn't surprise me that much if he's 4/5 years older than he says. Would explain why he appeared to have his best years at 24/25.

Malaria and other viral illnesses can really ruin someone's career, look at David Clarkson - was never quite the same after having a terrible viral illness.

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That's the question. He hasn't played that regularly since 2015/16 and in that time has had injuries and malaria.

Also, I'm sceptical of whether that's his 'real' age. 'Wild speculation' here, but it wouldn't surprise me that much if he's 4/5 years older than he says. Would explain why he appeared to have his best years at 24/25.

Malaria and other viral illnesses can really ruin someone's career, look at David Clarkson - was never quite the same after having a terrible viral illness.

Agree with this.

But the proximity to Swansea and the fact he was training with Newport makes him an option from a practical point of view.

I'd be happy for him to come in, ala Williams and have a trial. If he can prove fitness and application, a short term deal, maybe in even pay as you play and big goal bonus deal until January could be a fairly low risk punt.

Ultimately the player isn't earning and we could be a good fit for him too, so even taking a considerable pay cut - say 20k per week until Jan is almost a quarter of a mill that he wouldn't earn sat at home and could, if he plays well, get him another, better deal, elsewhere in January. 

Or his legs and application are gone and it's a waste of 200k. I'm sure LJ will be able to get good feedback from his training at Newport.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's amusing how people assume things about African players ages.  Basically there are a few cases where players migrate from war zones and have lost papers, or have come to Europe via unconventional means.  But in wilfreds case I expect he's the age on his passport. 

I would take him on the terms @Alessandro mentioned and nothing else. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As our promotion chances have received a pretty terminal kick in the nuts with the injury to Afobe. Perhaps we could persuade another club were to end a contract with one of their reserve strikers and we just happened to sign him 20 minutes later on the promise that we sign another player from them for £10 million in January. Reckon that our credit will be regarded as pretty much gilt edged out there in football land. 

Clearly there’s an elephant in the room that it’s contrived to get around the rules. But experience tells us that the rules are tightened only after someone has got away with it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

I think it's amusing how people assume things about African players ages.  Basically there are a few cases where players migrate from war zones and have lost papers, or have come to Europe via unconventional means.  But in wilfreds case I expect he's the age on his passport. 

I would take him on the terms @Alessandro mentioned and nothing else. 

In this country it is illegal to change your date of birth.

In other countries you have until your start of secondary to set your age / dob.

This subject came up in work this week!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Lord Northski said:

 

As our promotion chances have received a pretty terminal kick in the nuts with the injury to Afobe

 

Massively disagree. We’ve done well with Fammy previously, Afobe wasn’t the be all and end all of the team. We will be okay til jan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Selred said:

Massively disagree. We’ve done well with Fammy previously, Afobe wasn’t the be all and end all of the team. We will be okay til jan. 

Hey it’s a game of opinions. But we had Fammy leading the line pretty much for all of last season and didn’t get promoted and you’ll probably agree that we looked pretty incapable of scoring yesterday.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lord Northski said:

Hey it’s a game of opinions. But we had Fammy leading the line pretty much for all of last season and didn’t get promoted and you’ll probably agree that we looked pretty incapable of scoring yesterday.  

Famara had two clear cut chances yesterday and sadly failed to put either away.

The coaches know that he is not deadeye Dick and that’s why they were looking to bring in a more clinical striker .

Weimann also had a shot way over the bar.

These two players offer lots to the team but what we need from them is also an end product.

Finishers get teams promoted . We need a new finisher who isn’t broken .

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

My issue would be, any free agent coming in now would of had none to very little ’pre season’, so what are the chances of them being ready before January anyway?

Unless of course any potential ‘proper’ signings for January are already proving difficult to get done & we know we’re unlikely to be able to sign anyone of the true caliber that we want?

Surely if your a free agent. you would train as hard as possible if your worth your salt, so if a club were to come in for you, you would be as fit as you could be?  If not, surely that is a player with the wrong attitude, and would not be worth pursuing?   If they are desperate to find a club and prove thenselves worthy of a contract then you would think they would keep themselves as match fit as possible....otherwise they are not worth bothering with?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Lord Northski said:

Hey it’s a game of opinions. But we had Fammy leading the line pretty much for all of last season and didn’t get promoted and you’ll probably agree that we looked pretty incapable of scoring yesterday.  

So it wasn't that we weren't good enough as a team it was down to one player? Our home form was a key factor and continues to be an issue. We seem to play without tempo much of the time and our final ball is invariably not good enough. That seems to be a collective thing but, hey, it's much easier to attribute it to one player.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Surely if your a free agent. you would train as hard as possible if your worth your salt, so if a club were to come in for you, you would be as fit as you could be?  If not, surely that is a player with the wrong attitude, and would not be worth pursuing?   If they are desperate to find a club and prove thenselves worthy of a contract then you would think they would keep themselves as match fit as possible....otherwise they are not worth bothering with?

There’s a difference between what you can do to be fit by training on your own & going to the gym etc, to what you can do at a club.

For a lot of people with families & having to do stuff on your own, motivation is a problem, you simply wouldn’t beat yourself as hard as someone else putting you through your paces & you also have to ask where the motivation for someone who is likely to have a million pound or so in the bank & when no other club has wanted them since say last May?

Players of the caliber that we’re after aren’t going to be players that haven’t played at a decent level & earned decent wages in the process & now no one has wanted them for 6 months or so, they may of possibly enjoyed life a little more than normal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, chinapig said:

So it wasn't that we weren't good enough as a team it was down to one player? Our home form was a key factor and continues to be an issue. We seem to play without tempo much of the time and our final ball is invariably not good enough. That seems to be a collective thing but, hey, it's much easier to attribute it to one player.

I said yesterday to mates, we set up wrong & we should of been the team making the effort to break away teams down but we don’t, it’s like we set up as if we’re the away team & we’re here to counter attack. Maybe it’s just because of our ongoing injury list but we haven’t really attacked anyone at home this & that makes it difficult for the crowd to get behind the team fully.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

There’s a difference between what you can do to be fit by training on your own & going to the gym etc, to what you can do at a club.

For a lot of people with families & having to do stuff on your own, motivation is a problem, you simply wouldn’t beat yourself as hard as someone else putting you through your paces & you also have to ask where the motivation for someone who is likely to have a million pound or so in the bank & when no other club has wanted them since say last May?

Players of the caliber that we’re after aren’t going to be players that haven’t played at a decent level & earned decent wages in the process & now no one has wanted them for 6 months or so, they may of possibly enjoyed life a little more than normal.

Fair point, but quite a few players without a contract will use a local club to join in training, so as to keep competitive.......if theyv'e any sense.  Like Bony at Newport

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Fair point, but quite a few players without a contract will use a local club to join in training, so as to keep competitive.......if theyv'e any sense.  Like Bony at Newport

And that depends on the player & where they are geographically in the world. Some players unfortunately aren’t welcomed at clubs & as for Bony, it could be argued that in his position (no club for months), why has he not wanted a deal at Newport? Or why haven’t Newport been pushing for a deal? Does Bony think he’s too good for Newport? He certainly shouldn’t need the money so why hasn’t anyone else come in for him?

There are lots of variables in any deals & there could be any number of reasons why players are without clubs & clubs don’t want certain players.

Football is a totally different beast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That's the question. He hasn't played that regularly since 2015/16 and in that time has had injuries and malaria.

Also, I'm sceptical of whether that's his 'real' age. 'Wild speculation' here, but it wouldn't surprise me that much if he's 4/5 years older than he says. Would explain why he appeared to have his best years at 24/25.

Malaria and other viral illnesses can really ruin someone's career, look at David Clarkson - was never quite the same after having a terrible viral illness.

He was rubbish before his illness too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

And that depends on the player & where they are geographically in the world. Some players unfortunately aren’t welcomed at clubs & as for Bony, it could be argued that in his position (no club for months), why has he not wanted a deal at Newport? Or why haven’t Newport been pushing for a deal? Does Bony think he’s too good for Newport? He certainly shouldn’t need the money so why hasn’t anyone else come in for him?

There are lots of variables in any deals & there could be any number of reasons why players are without clubs & clubs don’t want certain players.

Football is a totally different beast.

Might be because he wants a salary in excess of what the entire Newport squad put together, currently earn? 🤑

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

I said yesterday to mates, we set up wrong & we should of been the team making the effort to break away teams down but we don’t, it’s like we set up as if we’re the away team & we’re here to counter attack. Maybe it’s just because of our ongoing injury list but we haven’t really attacked anyone at home this & that makes it difficult for the crowd to get behind the team fully.

It’s difficult to know / say that we set up wrong.  We started 0-0, through changes from 532 to 5212 (Baker inj) to 4231 and 442 (Palmer alongside Fam), it remained 0-0.  None of our systems worked or failed....against a well drilled passing team who despite  a head-coach change have the same set of players give or take a few and play the same way as last season.

For me our best spell was the 5212 for 15 minutes before h-t, when Brownhill hit a decent free-kick, Weimann lashed over, Hunt had a good shot blocked on the angle from Fam’s pass, and Diedhiou almost converted COD’s cross.  Szmodics probably had his greatest number of touches in that spell too, in behind Fam and Weimann...his natural position .

If we agree (you don’t have to 😜) that that spell was our best, then you’d have probably selected the same keeper and back 5 we started with but probably started Palmer in behind Fam and Weimann.  O’Dowda wouldn’t have started, yet I thought he had a really good first half.

When Palmer did come on after 54 minutes, we only gave it 5 minutes of 5212 with arguably the best set of fit players to suit that system....before Eliasson came on and we changed set-up again.

I think LJ does throw the dice a bit to quickly at times, and I really would’ve liked to see that front 7 of:

 ⬇️Hunt | Brownhill | Massengo | O’Dowda⬇️

                              Palmer

                  Weimann | Diedhiou

for longer than the 5 minutes we got.

If Baker is injured, that might be the starting eleven next week!

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Might be because he wants a salary in excess of what the entire Newport squad put together, currently earn? 🤑

And then it could be asked where his motivation is? He’s currently earning nothing having been out of contract for 3 months or so?

Why not agree to play for whatever, put yourself in the shop window, prove your fitness & prove to every other club that you can still play? Or you can sit at home not earning anything, with little potential to?!?

As I said, depends on a person’s motivation, Bony should be more than comfortably off & he hasn’t played properly for god knows how many years, so why would someone offer him a contract on £20kp/w+?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s difficult to know / say that we set up wrong.  We started 0-0, through changes from 532 to 5212 (Baker inj) to 4231 and 442 (Palmer alongside Fam), it remained 0-0.  None of our systems worked or failed....against a well drilled passing team who despite  a head-coach change have the same set of players give or take a few and play the same way as last season.

For me our best spell was the 5212 for 15 minutes before h-t, when Brownhill hit a decent free-kick, Weimann lashed over, Hunt had a good shot blocked on the angle from Fam’s pass, and Diedhiou almost converted COD’s cross.  Szmodics probably had his greatest number of touches in that spell too, in behind Fam and Weimann...his natural position .

If we agree (you don’t have to 😜) that that spell was our best, then you’d have probably selected the same keeper and back 5 we started with but probably started Palmer in behind Fam and Weimann.  O’Dowda wouldn’t have started, yet I thought he had a really good first half.

When Palmer did come on after 54 minutes, we only gave it 5 minutes of 5212 with arguably the best set of fit players to suit that system....before Eliasson came on and we changed set-up again.

I think LJ does throw the dice a bit to quickly at times, and I really would’ve liked to see that front 7 of:

 ⬇️Hunt | Brownhill | Massengo | O’Dowda⬇️

                              Palmer

                  Weimann | Diedhiou

for longer than the 5 minutes we got.

If Baker is injured, that might be the starting eleven next week!

 

For me & irrelevant of what people think of Diedhiou, we needed a focal point up front, their back 4 probably hadn’t had an opening 20 so easy. We weren’t playing through balls for runners & nothing was sticking. Even you would of loved playing in defence against that @Davefevs😂😂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Afobe seemed to be the perfect solution.  Certainly more pace and movement than Fam.  I don't see any UK based players too likely to fit that mould who are out of contract. Perhaps we look to Europe.

In the longer term, who might be available in January?

Don't forget that we can pay to terminate a contract to create a free agent, can't we?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Afobe seemed to be the perfect solution.  Certainly more pace and movement than Fam.  I don't see any UK based players too likely to fit that mould who are out of contract. Perhaps we look to Europe.

In the longer term, who might be available in January?

Don't forget that we can pay to terminate a contract to create a free agent, can't we?

No we can`t. The player has to have been out of contract at the time the window closed.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

No we can`t. The player has to have been out of contract at the time the window closed.

Corrrrrrect

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...