Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Interesting exchange with steward today


Recommended Posts

Had a run in with a steward today who must have had her Weetabix for breakfast.

At half-time, I felt a bit woozy so wanted to check my blood sugar. So went to walk out the KFC exit to get my meter and insulin.

As I approached the gate, the conversation went as follows:

Steward: Are you leaving for the day?

Me: No, I’m just nipping to my car to.....

Steward:  (interrupting my explanation) You can’t leave, we’re on lockdown!

Me: What do you mean lockdown? This isn’t North Korea.

Steward: You can’t leave.

Me: Well I can and I am. I’m diabetic and I need my medication which I’ve left in my car, (now I’m getting a bit chopsy myself as her attitude was appalling). So if you need to get on the radio and get someone down here to authorise it, then please do.

Steward: (Blunt as you like) You should have remembered to bring it with you.

Me: (fuming now) Do you think I did it on purpose?

Steward: Go on, I’ll give you 5 minutes.

Me: (utterly speechless)......

Obviously absent for the common sense and awareness training.

 

 

  • Like 5
  • Sad 3
  • Robin 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

probably all to do with last seasons game against Swansea, a few more restrictions in place maybe? not saying she was right or wrong but my guess is she was doing what she had been instructed to say. at least she did see common sense and give you 5 mins which  probably meant as long as you need.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

probably all to do with last seasons game against Swansea, a few more restrictions in place maybe? not saying she was right or wrong but my guess is she was doing what she had been instructed to say. at least she did see common sense and give you 5 mins which  probably meant as long as you need.

I had a very similar experience last winter with two stewards in the same location. I wanted to go to B&M to buy my daughter a cheap blanket to keep her warm for the second half (it was only around 10°C)

I was told with no uncertainty that if I left I wouldn't be allowed to re-enter despite having our season tickets with us.

Was pretty annoyed until one of the stewards said he had a blanket in his car and could lend it to us for the second half. He did, my daughter was happy and we even got the blanket back to him after the match. Really decent guy and a great gesture.

But I was a bit annoyed at the intransigence. It's not like I just wanted to leave for some chips.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, WesM said:

Had a run in with a steward today who must have had her Weetabix for breakfast.

At half-time, I felt a bit woozy so wanted to check my blood sugar. So went to walk out the KFC exit to get my meter and insulin.

As I approached the gate, the conversation went as follows:

Steward: Are you leaving for the day?

Me: No, I’m just nipping to my car to.....

Steward:  (interrupting my explanation) You can’t leave, we’re on lockdown!

Me: What do you mean lockdown? This isn’t North Korea.

Steward: You can’t leave.

Me: Well I can and I am. I’m diabetic and I need my medication which I’ve left in my car, (now I’m getting a bit chopsy myself as her attitude was appalling). So if you need to get on the radio and get someone down here to authorise it, then please do.

Steward: (Blunt as you like) You should have remembered to bring it with you.

Me: (fuming now) Do you think I did it on purpose?

Steward: Go on, I’ll give you 5 minutes.

Me: (utterly speechless)......

Obviously absent for the common sense and awareness training.

 

 

You mean to say, after all that, she didnt even ask you to unzip your coat?! Shoddy stewarding. 😂

jobs-worth comes to mind. Power hungry. Chance of being in charge for once a fortnight. 

Lock down. Pahahahahahahaha!!!!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

The observant stewards in the Dolman let in 2 Swansea fans and one with a Swansea shirt on just turned inside out - and then they just went and sat in 2 season ticket holders seats, rather than actually sit in the seats that they actually purchased. I suppose they just wanted back row seats hoping nobody would be behind them to see "Swansea City FC" embroidered into his collar that was just back to front. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There were six Swansea lads sat behind me in front of the Heineken Lounge. I clocked them early doors obvs because they weren’t hiding the fact they were from over the bridge. 

I gave them some friendly advice about keeping their heads down should Swansea score and they were sensible and respectful throughout. 

Shook hands at full time and wished them all the best.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Had the same problem last season with a jobs worth, a very rude jobs worth at that. We needed to leave the ground for 5 minutes for my son who has severe sensory issues & when trying to explain the situation, the steward just kept interrupting & saying no.  I believe it was the same game as someone not being allowed out to get an asthma inhaler that was left behind. I made a complaint & was told that the staff would be spoken to about these sort of issues. Obviously still an ongoing issue. COYR 

Link to post
Share on other sites

As I pointed out last season, possibly in reply to the post by @Simon79 but what he neglects to mention, what I suspect to be the case is that the steward on the door/in this lockdown zone lacks the authority to make such a decision, without referral upwards.

If they 'lack the authority' to make a decision...the clue is in the term as to whether they can make it instantly. IMO anyway.

@The Horse With No Name maybe a useful source on this, they seem to know/have known about stewarding issues in the past.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wood_red said:

The observant stewards in the Dolman let in 2 Swansea fans and one with a Swansea shirt on just turned inside out - and then they just went and sat in 2 season ticket holders seats, rather than actually sit in the seats that they actually purchased. I suppose they just wanted back row seats hoping nobody would be behind them to see "Swansea City FC" embroidered into his collar that was just back to front. 

 

You would have thought they would have sat at the front. Less stairs to bounce down.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WesM said:

Had a run in with a steward today who must have had her Weetabix for breakfast.

At half-time, I felt a bit woozy so wanted to check my blood sugar. So went to walk out the KFC exit to get my meter and insulin.

As I approached the gate, the conversation went as follows:

Steward: Are you leaving for the day?

Me: No, I’m just nipping to my car to.....

Steward:  (interrupting my explanation) You can’t leave, we’re on lockdown!

Me: What do you mean lockdown? This isn’t North Korea.

Steward: You can’t leave.

Me: Well I can and I am. I’m diabetic and I need my medication which I’ve left in my car, (now I’m getting a bit chopsy myself as her attitude was appalling). So if you need to get on the radio and get someone down here to authorise it, then please do.

Steward: (Blunt as you like) You should have remembered to bring it with you.

Me: (fuming now) Do you think I did it on purpose?

Steward: Go on, I’ll give you 5 minutes.

Me: (utterly speechless)......

Obviously absent for the common sense and awareness training.

 

 

It's the rules mate, otherwise you'd get anyone wandering out and in at half time

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

As I pointed out last season, possibly in reply to the post by @Simon79 but what he neglects to mention, what I suspect to be the case is that the steward on the door/in this lockdown zone lacks the authority to make such a decision, without referral upwards.

If they 'lack the authority' to make a decision...the clue is in the term as to whether they can make it instantly. IMO anyway.

@The Horse With No Name maybe a useful source on this, they seem to know/have known about stewarding issues in the past.

@Mr Popodopolous The stewards on the lockdown gates would certainly have the authority to make a common sense call on whether to let someone out on a medical issue, what they wont do is let people out for a KFC or to pop to the car for a coat for example. Its not difficult to remember the persons face to let them in again when they return, and the steward in this case was being over zealous.

Edited by The Horse With No Name
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

As I pointed out last season, possibly in reply to the post by @Simon79 but what he neglects to mention, what I suspect to be the case is that the steward on the door/in this lockdown zone lacks the authority to make such a decision, without referral upwards.

If they 'lack the authority' to make a decision...the clue is in the term as to whether they can make it instantly. IMO anyway.

@The Horse With No Name maybe a useful source on this, they seem to know/have known about stewarding issues in the past.

Although I understand that you are trying to look at it from both sides of the fence, I don’t believe this to be the case, especially in the cases that have been mentioned. Even if this was the case, it doesn’t explain the obnoxious & rude attitude. COYR 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Most stewards get a buzz from being in their high viz uniform. The one in the singing section which is balding with glasses, it’s plain to see he loves it etc.  

Its  amazing what a little “power” does to people. I imagine most would say boo to a goose in real life situations, nor would I trust them if a serious incident happened at a game. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, WesM said:

Had a run in with a steward today who must have had her Weetabix for breakfast.

At half-time, I felt a bit woozy so wanted to check my blood sugar. So went to walk out the KFC exit to get my meter and insulin.

As I approached the gate, the conversation went as follows:

Steward: Are you leaving for the day?

Me: No, I’m just nipping to my car to.....

Steward:  (interrupting my explanation) You can’t leave, we’re on lockdown!

Me: What do you mean lockdown? This isn’t North Korea.

Steward: You can’t leave.

Me: Well I can and I am. I’m diabetic and I need my medication which I’ve left in my car, (now I’m getting a bit chopsy myself as her attitude was appalling). So if you need to get on the radio and get someone down here to authorise it, then please do.

Steward: (Blunt as you like) You should have remembered to bring it with you.

Me: (fuming now) Do you think I did it on purpose?

Steward: Go on, I’ll give you 5 minutes.

Me: (utterly speechless)......

Obviously absent for the common sense and awareness training.

 

 

Hope you took 5 minutes and 1 second just to make the point

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

Although I understand that you are trying to look at it from both sides of the fence, I don’t believe this to be the case, especially in the cases that have been mentioned. Even if this was the case, it doesn’t explain the obnoxious & rude attitude. COYR 

Would also like to add that most stewards are doing a great job. In fact two of them in particular every week go above & beyond the call of duty for me & my son. Something I am extremely grateful for & will never forget. COYR 

  • Like 2
  • Robin 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Baldyman said:

Utterly incredible that a steward dismisses  the need for an insulin check with such a terrible attitude . Bearing in mind I had at least 6 lads sat around me in the South stand openly drinking cider during the second half  you do wonder what training they get ! 

Is it training or a complete lack of common sense? Something that is slowly diminishing in society imo. People like to be told what to do, rather than think for themselves, adapt, adjust. Thinking about it, same on the pitch sometimes. COYR 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I had this a couple of years ago when I left at half time as had to get home for something and thought it weird then they asked me where I thought I was going. I just shrugged it off and said “home!” And carried on walking. I didn’t think much more of it and just assumed they were a ****.

Can a steward seriously prevent you from leaving and re-entering the ground?

Whilst I can’t see any legal basis for it I would imagine there is some small print in the ground rules?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, One Team said:

I had this a couple of years ago when I left at half time as had to get home for something and thought it weird then they asked me where I thought I was going. I just shrugged it off and said “home!” And carried on walking. I didn’t think much more of it and just assumed they were a ****.

Can a steward seriously prevent you from leaving and re-entering the ground?

Whilst I can’t see any legal basis for it I would imagine there is some small print in the ground rules?

 

Right of readmission might well be reserved as your ticket will already have been validated on entry and you can't use the same ticket twice.

No idea about stopping you from leaving though.

A few years back, they were able to issue cards for readmission, it was back when work was still ongoing at the ground, so if you had entered the stadium but wanted to use the club shop, they could let you out and back in again.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Utterly incredible that a steward dismisses  the need for an insulin check with such a terrible attitude . Bearing in mind I had at least 6 lads sat around me in the South stand openly drinking cider during the second half  you do wonder what training they get

Asking people to sit down is the in thing at the moment - the important issues

Link to post
Share on other sites

For anyone who still doesnt realise what lockdown is, 10 minutes before half time all the outer gates to the stadium are closed  / barriered off and manned by stewards, and the stadium gates are opened allowing fans out for food, drink smoking etc. This vastly increases the size of the usable area for this purpose, but was primarily introduced several years ago for the purposes of smokers. This lockdown means that nobody can enter the stadium site and just walk in through the open gates. Shortly after the second half is under way lockdown is lifted and stadium gates are shut so you can only re enter via a ticket check at a door, not a turnstile which have been closed, but that would be at the discretion of the doorman.

The reason you cannot just walk out of the car park areas at will during half time is because there is no accountability for just who is coming back in, and although exceptions can be made for emergencies, there has to be restrictions as there would be mayhem if people were to leave and then not be allowed back in till the second half was well under way.

Edited by The Horse With No Name
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

Most stewards get a buzz from being in their high viz uniform. The one in the singing section which is balding with glasses, it’s plain to see he loves it etc.  

Its  amazing what a little “power” does to people. I imagine most would say boo to a goose in real life situations, nor would I trust them if a serious incident happened at a game. 

 

2 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

For anyone who still doesnt realise what lockdown is, 10 minutes before half time all the outer gates to the stadium are closed  / barriered off and manned by stewards, and the stadium gates are opened allowing fans out for food, drink smoking etc. This vastly increases the size of the usable area for this purpose, but was primarily introduced several years ago for the purposes of smokers. This lockdown means that nobody can enter the stadium site and just walk in through the open gates. As soon as the second half is under way lockdown is lifted and stadium gates are shut so you can only re enter via a ticket check at a door, not a turnstile which have been closed.

The reason you cannot just walk out of the car park areas at will during half time is because there is no accountability for just who is coming back in, and although exceptions can be made for emergencies, there has to be restrictions as there would be mayhem if people were to leave and then not be allowed back in till the second half was well under way.

There’s no need to be a dick about it though from a stewards point of view. 

The whole “I’m in charge, it’s a lockdown do what I say” 

A simple “we can’t let anyone in or out at the moment, can you let me know why you need to leave and I can radio it in” would be suitable.

i remember at the last World Cup, I argued With the main head steward called Kevin over them not letting me with a bottle of water after I’d been driving 300 miles for work without a break and wanted to watch the game with my mates. It was the last game before they had everyone entering from the park and “searches”.

he said “I’m in charge tonight, it’s all on my head, you ever do what I say or you don’t come in”

queue the “lads being lads”, smokes, cans of beer all over the place. 

Afterwards I walked past him, laughed and said “good work Kevin, be interesting you explaining all of that tomorrow”

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, wood_red said:

Asking people to sit down is the in thing at the moment - the important issues

Tbh I believe they're under orders on that score. SAG largely, possibly SGSA and it's a shame as the latter are usually quite pragmatic.

Possibly even the head of security, though I assume they'd be following instructions from the above.

There seems to be an attempted clampdown this season but it's not merely at AG.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Simon79 said:

Although I understand that you are trying to look at it from both sides of the fence, I don’t believe this to be the case, especially in the cases that have been mentioned. Even if this was the case, it doesn’t explain the obnoxious & rude attitude. COYR 

Well I'm unsure on the first bit- may partially depend on their supervisor, whether they (supervisor) are anal, are a bellend or not.

Or fairly pragmatic- may get a bollocking if it's the former, which helps me understand their reticence a bit.

Agree fully on the 2nd part, the rude and obnoxious attitude, no excuse.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...