IGNORED

Interesting exchange with steward today

WesM

40 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

For anyone who still doesnt realise what lockdown is, 10 minutes before half time all the outer gates to the stadium are closed  / barriered off and manned by stewards, and the stadium gates are opened allowing fans out for food, drink smoking etc. This vastly increases the size of the usable area for this purpose, but was primarily introduced several years ago for the purposes of smokers. This lockdown means that nobody can enter the stadium site and just walk in through the open gates. Shortly after the second half is under way lockdown is lifted and stadium gates are shut so you can only re enter via a ticket check at a door, not a turnstile which have been closed, but that would be at the discretion of the doorman.

The reason you cannot just walk out of the car park areas at will during half time is because there is no accountability for just who is coming back in, and although exceptions can be made for emergencies, there has to be restrictions as there would be mayhem if people were to leave and then not be allowed back in till the second half was well under way.

Thanks.

That makes a reasonable amount of sense, from the POV of the club.

I suppose my question might be on this front then, when it comes to exceptions for emergency- which clearly there should be, would the steward on the door have the authority to make that call or would they be expected (required)? to find someone with a radio first.

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Tbh I believe they're under orders on that score. SAG largely, possibly SGSA and it's a shame as the latter are usually quite pragmatic.

Possibly even the head of security, though I assume they'd be following instructions from the above.

There seems to be an attempted clampdown this season but it's not merely at AG.

I agree, but I stood up yesterday because a Swansea fan with a Swansea shirt on inside out was sat in my seat - that's my excuse anyway!! 

Also before the game we walked down the side of the Lansdown as a few with us wanted some food from the burger van. We walked down and one women was having her bag searched literally in front of the players cars (she wasn't entering the stadium and just walking through), and there was also a bloke around 70 years old and he got asked by a steward to show him his ticket - again not even entering the stadium as he was just walking down the side. We walked straight through the middle of the stewards and not a thing was said to any of us. Is it just pick and choose who they want to search - and basically in the car park. I have no issues getting searched going in or if indeed it happens to everyone, but if I was the 70 year old bloke yesterday I would have asked "why me". Seemed very odd and inconsistent as per usual.

2 minutes ago, wood_red said:

I agree, but I stood up yesterday because a Swansea fan with a Swansea shirt on inside out was sat in my seat - that's my excuse anyway!! 

Also before the game we walked down the side of the Lansdown as a few with us wanted some food from the burger van. We walked down and one women was having her bag searched literally in front of the players cars (she wasn't entering the stadium and just walking through), and there was also a bloke around 70 years old and he got asked by a steward to show him his ticket - again not even entering the stadium as he was just walking down the side. We walked straight through the middle of the stewards and not a thing was said to any of us. Is it just pick and choose who they want to search - and basically in the car park. I have no issues getting searched going in or if indeed it happens to everyone, but if I was the 70 year old bloke yesterday I would have asked "why me". Seemed very odd and inconsistent as per usual.

I had a Steward ask me to open my jacket a couple of season ago, I (jokingly said), 'No. It's cold' to which the steward replied, 'It is, no worries, enjoy the game'.

I felt like a Jedi Master suggesting my droids were of no interest to people.

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

I had a Steward ask me to open my jacket a couple of season ago, I (jokingly said), 'No. It's cold' to which the steward replied, 'It is, no worries, enjoy the game'.

So you're the man who got the flares in then!

I have no issue with any searches whilst going in, I would also have no issue if people were searched at the main entrances going into the area of the stadium (ie not just by the turnstiles) but as long as it was consistent. It just seems to me that some stewards get the "I'm in charge" and want to fans to know it, and others are great at their job and do exactly what they are there to do.

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thanks.

That makes a reasonable amount of sense, from the POV of the club.

I suppose my question might be on this front then, when it comes to exceptions for emergency- which clearly there should be, would the steward on the door have the authority to make that call or would they be expected (required)? to find someone with a radio first.

As I said, common sense really. It is very easy to tell the real emergency cases from those trying it on, especially if the same stewards man (woman) the same gates each game, but almost certainly they would be allowed to use their discretion, as they eventually did in this case. It really shouldn't be any sort of issue at all, as this scenario should only happen a handful of times a year. 

13 hours ago, myol'man said:

It's the rules mate, otherwise you'd get anyone wandering out and in at half time

Nobody is arguing for a free for all "come and go as you please". Just a bit of common sense. 

Unfortunately stewards (some I could name) have very little. 

16 hours ago, WesM said:

Had a run in with a steward today who must have had her Weetabix for breakfast.

At half-time, I felt a bit woozy so wanted to check my blood sugar. So went to walk out the KFC exit to get my meter and insulin.

As I approached the gate, the conversation went as follows:

Steward: Are you leaving for the day?

Me: No, I’m just nipping to my car to.....

Steward:  (interrupting my explanation) You can’t leave, we’re on lockdown!

Me: What do you mean lockdown? This isn’t North Korea.

Steward: You can’t leave.

Me: Well I can and I am. I’m diabetic and I need my medication which I’ve left in my car, (now I’m getting a bit chopsy myself as her attitude was appalling). So if you need to get on the radio and get someone down here to authorise it, then please do.

Steward: (Blunt as you like) You should have remembered to bring it with you.

Me: (fuming now) Do you think I did it on purpose?

Steward: Go on, I’ll give you 5 minutes.

Me: (utterly speechless)......

Obviously absent for the common sense and awareness training.

I watched the whole exchange from my half time burger eating position and I see similar every game. The sheer rudeness of (most of) the stewards is bad enough but the lack of common sense is even worse. 

13 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

As I pointed out last season, possibly in reply to the post by @Simon79 but what he neglects to mention, what I suspect to be the case is that the steward on the door/in this lockdown zone lacks the authority to make such a decision, without referral upwards.

If they 'lack the authority' to make a decision...the clue is in the term as to whether they can make it instantly. IMO anyway.

@The Horse With No Name maybe a useful source on this, they seem to know/have known about stewarding issues in the past.

In which case the system is wrong. With 20,000 people in the ground there will inevitably be many issues/incidents like this which whilst not necessarily qualifying as a “medical emergency”   need to be addressed sensibly. 

3 hours ago, wood_red said:

So you're the man who got the flares in then!

I have no issue with any searches whilst going in, I would also have no issue if people were searched at the main entrances going into the area of the stadium (ie not just by the turnstiles) but as long as it was consistent. It just seems to me that some stewards get the "I'm in charge" and want to fans to know it, and others are great at their job and do exactly what they are there to do.

Hmmmmmm. 

Searched every game at Atyeo end of Dolman. Depending on parking we can quite regularly enter via Raynes Rd and South Stand to zero searches. 

Im not against it either but the sheer fact the head steward at the Dolman insists its carried out at all stands is, to be frank, hillarious!!!

17 hours ago, WesM said:

At half-time, I felt a bit woozy so wanted to check my blood sugar. So went to walk out the KFC exit to get my meter and insulin.

Me: Well I can and I am. I’m diabetic and I need my medication which I’ve left in my car, (now I’m getting a bit chopsy myself as her attitude was appalling). So if you need to get on the radio and get someone down here to authorise it, then please do.

What should- well IMO at least- have happened here.

I'll reword this convo as to how I think even when we factor in rules and variables eg quality/common sense of supervisor etc. Will bold, cross out and replace the relevant bits.

Steward: Absolutely should not have interrupted your explanation. Should have heard you out, very rude not to.

Steward: Should have explained what the process entailed.

Steward: May or may not have had a radio, I don't know I wasn't there but they should have politely explained that they may not have had the authority to allow it themselves but that they would find a radio holder or someone with the authority.

Steward: Eventually gave you 5 mins but shouldn't have reached the stage where it got heated- caused by them incidentally.

47 minutes ago, hollydog said:

Would that actually be a problem? 

Ticketless fans, fans have according to people on here taken advantage in the past of systems, or on a more serious note we live under the ubiquitous terrorist threat, which can I don't know perhaps while extremely serious, be used as an excuse for other things- not just talking football either.

44 minutes ago, hollydog said:

In which case the system is wrong. With 20,000 people in the ground there will inevitably be many issues/incidents like this which whilst not necessarily qualifying as a “medical emergency”   need to be addressed sensibly. 

Take it up with the club. My personal view is that it may depend on the common sense of a supervisor in the vicinity- but I could be way out. Lottery basically? People however aren't going to risk a bollocking though for applying a common sense approach without the authority.

5 hours ago, Southstandoriginal said:

I'm surprised this lock down is possible as I thought the car park between the Raynes Road and Winterstoke Road gates was a public right of way for pedestrians.  A walkway was kept open during the redevelopment for that very  reason.

Walkway between Raynes Road and Winterstoke Road is closed during halftime lockdown.

You wouldn't believe the amount of people who think that they can just wander out (and back in again) during the match, with a lot of "medical emergency" reasons given.

The steward involved may have been having a bad day due to the amount of abuse that they are given.

Try doing it for one match, it's not a nice job.

Said it before and will say it again.

In the same way that Julie H does a solid job as Police Liaison Officer, a steward Liaison Officer posting on here regularly would be not a bad idea IMO.

Dunno if you'd get any takers on the stewards side, or if the club have ever expressed an interest but I think it could be something worth exploring.

Went down to the sports bar at half time with a mate...he accidentally left his season card in his coat pocket back at his seat.  The stewards refused to let him back in...one of them saying, it's the 'LAW' to show your ticket on re-entry. I went up to his seat to get his ticket (back of S22) only on return to the sports bar to find he'd been let back in through an open turnstile entrance. Why allow entry on one entrance and not on another?  Crazy inconsistent rules.

6 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Whenever the stewards ask me to open my coat I just refuse and say “why now - you never ask me when it’s warm”. 

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Said it before and will say it again.

In the same way that Julie H does a solid job as Police Liaison Officer, a steward Liaison Officer posting on here regularly would be not a bad idea IMO.

Dunno if you'd get any takers on the stewards side, or if the club have ever expressed an interest but I think it could be something worth exploring.

Might be awkward as the majority of altercations I've had with stewards over recent years seem to have been with people from security companies who were some of the most unpleasant and heavy handed people around, so not actually part of the stewarding team.

22 hours ago, WesM said:

You reported the gobby fascist? 

11 hours ago, AshtonPark said:

Most stewards get a buzz from being in their high viz uniform. The one in the singing section which is balding with glasses, it’s plain to see he loves it etc.  

Its  amazing what a little “power” does to people. I imagine most would say boo to a goose in real life situations, nor would I trust them if a serious incident happened at a game. 

Very true. Reminds me of the Stanford prison experiment. Scary what ‘power’ brings out in people. In this case arbitrary denial of essential medicines.

5 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Might be awkward as the majority of altercations I've had with stewards over recent years seem to have been with people from security companies who were some of the most unpleasant and heavy handed people around, so not actually part of the stewarding team.

Interesting, could you expand on that?

Are you saying it's drafted in stewards from security companies, types who double up as bouncers or some other category?

Certainly security company type stewards and definitely those who double up as bouncers are in many cases less than suitable for football crowds IMO- very different dynamics.

25 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Interesting, could you expand on that?

Are you saying it's drafted in stewards from security companies, types who double up as bouncers or some other category?

Certainly security company type stewards and definitely those who double up as bouncers are in many cases less than suitable for football crowds IMO- very different dynamics.

Can only tell you what I've been told by people around me at the ground really. If you looked round S26-25-24 on bigger matchdays for the last few seasons I'm sure you'd have noticed people 'stewarding' that weren't dressed in the same uniform as the rest.

I've been told its people who work in security for G4S and the like being drafted in. As you mention, they seemed to have very little understanding of terrace culture and the way football fans behave. Extremely heavy handed, quick to anger and aggressive.

22 hours ago, AshtonPark said:

Most stewards get a buzz from being in their high viz uniform. The one in the singing section which is balding with glasses, it’s plain to see he loves it etc.  

Its  amazing what a little “power” does to people. I imagine most would say boo to a goose in real life situations, nor would I trust them if a serious incident happened at a game. 

Nailed it, go onto youtube and put photo audit in the search bar and watch some of the vids and watch how a hi viz vest turns people into complete bell ends.

Archived