IGNORED

Let down by the crowd

Upthereds94

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agree it should be more central, my question is on whether we can feasibly expand. Again however, as you say logistics etc may prevent it being a bit more central as well- plus existing season ticket holders.

I don't think the Atyeo acoustics are/have been all that but appreciate I'm likely in a minority!

I just don't know how well sound travels out of the stands. You get some posters on here based in the Dolman claiming they heard very little from the Swansea fans yet you get other posters saying they heard the Swansea fans quite a bit more. Question whether we have fantastic acoustics full stop?:dunno:

I’m in what used be ‘B’ block so pretty close to the Atyeo

I must apologise for my own performance on Saturday, I don't know why , but I found it very warm and humid and it definitely affected me as I actually sat down on two occasions. I did join in with some of the chants, especially the 2nd half renditions of Han-Noah Massengo, but for the most part I felt I was "phoning it in". 

I miss the Reading game due to holiday and the Charlton midweek game due to work, so I am hoping that I will return fully fit and refreshed and ready to give my all for the Wigan game. COYR.

27 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I must apologise for my own performance on Saturday, I don't know why , but I found it very warm and humid and it definitely affected me as I actually sat down on two occasions. I did join in with some of the chants, especially the 2nd half renditions of Han-Noah Massengo, but for the most part I felt I was "phoning it in". 

I miss the Reading game due to holiday and the Charlton midweek game due to work, so I am hoping that I will return fully fit and refreshed and ready to give my all for the Wigan game. COYR.

22 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

And I was looking for support in this difficult time........ :no:

The Nathan Baker of the singing fans?

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Akira does have a point tho - Imv the singing section should be located behind the SS goal, not tucked away in the corner but as you say there are probably outside factors that stop that happening.

Away fans are able to make themselves heard because of the acoustics in the Atyeo and they’re in the perfect part of AG.

LJ has often tried to encourage as much home songs/chants as possible and I believe he actually made the effort to meet up with some of the singing section - no doubt to say how much a difference noisy home support can make. 

Being in Dolman we often hear ‘is this a library ’ from the away fans in the Atyeo.......I know that I and guys around me find that annoying!

Exactly. And I totally get that it might not be down to the club, but then at least tell us its not the club who decide. If only we has a SLO who could relay this information... 

10 minutes ago, Akira said:

Exactly. And I totally get that it might not be down to the club, but then at least tell us its not the club who decide. If only we has a SLO who could relay this information... 

Purely a guess here.

It isn't down to the club as such, but also that they aren't necessarily distraught about the outcome- out of their hands but suits them to an extent- some depts more than others?

Sorry- I should've clarified my point a bit, certain depts it would suit very nicely. Others- more police/stewards, more cost? Unreserved seating means <10% capacity IIRC.

Now, forgive me for my ignorance, but why would the club favour NOT having more noise at home? They want us to be the 12th man, but as the same time, dont make it easy for us. You can't have your cake and eat it. We'd all love the gate to be 'A fortress' but a little bit of planning witb the club, and we'd get double the numbers I believe of those singing, if it were feasible, which I believe it is, but does require some work. We've got a great fan base, more and more people want to be part of the atmosphere, but because it's tucked away in a corner, with stewards policing the area etc, it's very hard for this atmosphere to spread as it were. 

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

You get some posters on here based in the Dolman claiming they heard very little from the Swansea fans yet you get other posters saying they heard the Swansea fans quite a bit more. 

I suppose that depends on where in the Dolman they are sat, i.e. nearest or furthest from the Atyeo.

I sit in the South Stand and just about heard them singing a song about their fathers' land or something!!

:innocent06:

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

Akira does have a point tho - Imv the singing section should be located behind the SS goal, not tucked away in the corner but as you say there are probably outside factors that stop that happening.

Away fans are able to make themselves heard because of the acoustics in the Atyeo and they’re in the perfect part of AG.

LJ has often tried to encourage as much home songs/chants as possible and I believe he actually made the effort to meet up with some of the singing section - no doubt to say how much a difference noisy home support can make. 

Being in Dolman we often hear ‘is this a library ’ from the away fans in the Atyeo.......I know that I and guys around me find that annoying!

City Fans meeting Mr Johnson?

I'm guessing you opted out..........???

22 hours ago, Akira said:

Yep, agreed. Our stadium is much, much better now than it ever was. However, with that, we've lost the atmosphere. We've now got stewards 'guarding' and policing the S82, which is where the only bit of noise comes from. And the club refuse to make that section bigger, so our atmosphere is restricted in my opinion. 

Our stadium has done many things for us. Improving the atmosphere, it has not. 

Sorry but the atmosphere has never been great at Ashton Gate and the crowd traditionally one of the quietest, it was when I saw my first game, oddly enough against Rovers in the FA Cup, in 1968, and is now. 

1 hour ago, Fatknacker said:

Sorry but the atmosphere has never been great at Ashton Gate and the crowd traditionally one of the quietest, it was when I saw my first game, oddly enough against Rovers in the FA Cup, in 1968, and is now. 

Traditionally? 

Having been to many, many grounds I'd say its pretty average. 

2 hours ago, Fatknacker said:

Very oddly indeed, what on earth are you talking about? 

Over the five decades I've been going to City games Ashton Gate has often been cited by opposition players and managers as one of the more intimidating and partisan crowds. In relatively recent times the pre-redevelopment East End was regularly mentioned by visiting fans as a seriously raucous and loud home end.

Currently I think the atmosphere is pretty decent. Nothing like the 70s and 80s but generally a louder home crowd than a lot of other championship clubs, not to mention league one clubs, Bristol Rovers for example 

I know the OP is probably on the ‘wind up’ but this thread does stir memories within me ... I know us older, dyed in the wool, been there done that, seen City in all 4 division types tend to get a patronising response, BUT ... anyone who talks about a ‘great atmosphere’ at Ashton Gate in this day and age is unfortunately misguided ....

....it’s pretty rubbish these days, and that is not a negative reflection upon on the guys n gals who try their hardest to generate some noise, I think they do a superb job, but the way the game is now and the way the matchday experience is now, they will never match yesteryear when ‘atmospheres’ at football were just awesome!

When we had a team to be soooo proud of (back in the late 70s) The South Bank at Wolves, The Holte End at Villa, The North Bank at Arsenal, The Kop at Anfield etc etc were just deafening when we visited them ... and our own, dear, East End returned the favour when they came to town ... the games were deafening, pretty much non stop, the home fans just went for it big time back then, seriously big time ... and the away fans had a go, but had to accept they couldn’t compete.

I frequented Ibrox in the late 70s / early 80s as an away fan - and, oh my God, they were seriously, seriously loud as a home support, the stadium literally shook, non stop - we could not have been made to feel less welcome in the away end, and that is perhaps how it should be? Home advantage and all that?

Fast forward to now, away fans are often louder - ridiculous and unheard of in my time ... 

11 hours ago, City Rocker said:

Very oddly indeed, what on earth are you talking about? 

Over the five decades I've been going to City games Ashton Gate has often been cited by opposition players and managers as one of the more intimidating and partisan crowds. In relatively recent times the pre-redevelopment East End was regularly mentioned by visiting fans as a seriously raucous and loud home end.

Currently I think the atmosphere is pretty decent. Nothing like the 70s and 80s but generally a louder home crowd than a lot of other championship clubs, not to mention league one clubs, Bristol Rovers for example 

I don’t compare us with Rovers, as they’re impoverished tent dwellers but as CotswoldRed says “it’s pretty average” and by definition average is not good. Match day experience is excellent compared to where we were and I say that as a City and Bears supporter and attendee.

So, to summarise,                   atmosphere= average

match day experience= excellent  

I guess one way to answer is to flip the question and say which Championship grounds are consistently louder?  Leeds can be but often quiet for large periods, Weds - no, Forest - no.  In fact the only one i can think of that I've been to (about half i would say)  is QPR, and the only time I've been there was for a feisty evening game back in the L1 days.

5 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Four four two magazine did a survey last month, and in our division ashton gate came out as best ground to visit.

Most fans stated atmosphere as the reason.

Probably the atmosphere they managed to generate.

I isn't encouraged because the club has difficulty differentiating between raucous loud, possibly intimidating home support and hooliganism.

Archived