IGNORED

PNE away

City oz

6 hours ago, MattWSM said:

think he scored for Bath City against city in the fa cup at Ashton Gate in 1980s. did they win 1nil?

Drew 1-1 and the replay was also played at Aston Gate iirc as it was back in the day when the home side could give up home advantage if they could make more money from the game being played away...I thin we won the replay 3-0

On 22/09/2019 at 07:21, City oz said:

Just looking at some history, 

• first game 1901 draw 0-0.
  • Biggest win for City 4-0 1985 Division 3.
  • Biggest loss 5-0 . 2017 the Championship.
  • Never played them in the old Division 1. ( next season we could both be in the prem ) wishful thinking though for PNE 
  • My prediction next week is a 3 - 3 draw with Diedhiou scoring 2 and Weimann getting 1. Keeping the unbeaten run going and only wish it was on Foxtel in OZ as it will be an entertaining and very close one for sure.

Come on you REDS.

Diedhiou scoring two ?????

It’s going to be a bit of a battle and a draw is a good result. Hoping Nagy is back and we can line up 

Bentley

Moore. Williams. Baker

Pereira.                             Rowe

Brownhill Nagy Massengo

Weimann Diedhiou

subs

Maenpaa, Hunt, COD, Elliason, Palmer, Semenyo, Szmodics 

My main concern is might be best to start Semenyo over Diedhiou as Fam won’t get any change from Bauer but that’s obviously a risk. 

33 minutes ago, RedDave said:

It’s going to be a bit of a battle and a draw is a good result. Hoping Nagy is back and we can line up 

Bentley

Moore. Williams. Baker

Pereira.                             Rowe

Brownhill Nagy Massengo

Weimann Diedhiou

subs

Maenpaa, Hunt, COD, Elliason, Palmer, Semenyo, Szmodics 

My main concern is might be best to start Semenyo over Diedhiou as Fam won’t get any change from Bauer but that’s obviously a risk. 

Why drop hunt?

17 hours ago, spudski said:

It'll be interesting to see how we set up against Preston.

They actively encourage crosses into their box as they deal with them so well. They find crosses easy to deal with it seems. The man mountain of a German at CB eats them up with ease.

I'll be surprised if Eliasson and Famara start. 

Dealing with crosses last season was a massive problem for us, but as you say we have improved at it.

It sometimes depends on the opposition, but yes Neil does seem to like to tuck in the full backs when we are defending and defend the cross rather than stopping it. He said himself after Brentford that it was done by design even though the crowd were getting a bit nervy about the crosses coming in. As said though it can depend on who we're playing.

It didn't really work last season because our main aerial presence at the back, Huntington, went into decline and Rudd had a poor season and wasn't commanding at all. Jordan Storey seemed decent in the air last season when he came into the side, but the addition of Bauer in the summer has hugely improved us aerially at the back, and Rudd has improved a bit in nets thanks to a new, more experienced goalkeeping coach coming in.

Should be quite an interesting game.

Would it be fair to say PNE play a bit more football this season @pnefcok ? That could provide us with both a threat to us defensively and an opportunity pushing up- Deepdale looks a fortress this season for you, 12 points from 12- would take a point tbh.

For us, Palmer behind Weimann IMO- a 3-5-1-1 could even be interesting. Diedhiou I just don't know..

7 hours ago, weepywall said:

Drew 1-1 and the replay was also played at Aston Gate iirc as it was back in the day when the home side could give up home advantage if they could make more money from the game being played away...I thin we won the replay 3-0

Think we were 1 down for a long while weren’t we ?

We had a few close shaves against Non League in those days !

1 minute ago, Oh Louie louie said:

I think bath scored with a few minutes left?

Are you thinking of vs rubgy bob?

Both games were played at ashton gate i recall.

I think graham withey was playing for bath?

I think they drew or knocked stoke out the cup a few years later?

You may well be right Louie :thumbsup:

I remember us making hard work of it !

And VS Rugby .....blimey......yes !   Good recall

Not what I would necessarily do myself but I predict going back to 4141, if Nagy is fit. 

Bentley

Hunt. Moore Williams Rowe

Nagy

Brownhill  Massengo

Weimann.               O'Dowda 

Diedhiou

We won a lot with this kind of set up last season. Defence is worse but midfield much better. So it would be interesting to see all 3 mobile more complete midfielders making that triangle of a 3.

Last season it was usually Pack sitting, Brownhill and Pato more advanced. I'd say any of them, but probably Nagy sitting and Brownhill and Massengo more advanced in a 3 is a massive improvement.

We always lose the midfield battle against Preston but I'd fancy those 3 to win it this time.

We have also seen better performances from those front 3 when playing away. It's not what I'd do, but I predict it's what LJ might go back to for this one game. It's a tough one and this looks mainly a solid side.

5 minutes ago, Malvern Red said:

Intrigued how Preston manage to keep high quality players like Pearson and others yet we have to sell the likes of Webster and Kelly.

Less income but lower cost base, all helps.

They did sell Robinson this summer though- and sold Hugill in January 2018 I think. Cunningham played for them too IIRC- sold for a profit.

They don't seem to spend much on fees either.

2 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

I think bath scored with a few minutes left?

Are you thinking of vs rubgy bob?

Both games were played at ashton gate i recall.

I think graham withey was playing for bath?

I think they drew or knocked stoke out the cup a few years later?

8:20 in . 

2 minutes from time, good finish mind.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Not what I would necessarily do myself but I predict going back to 4141, if Nagy is fit. 

Bentley

Hunt. Moore Williams Rowe

Nagy

Brownhill  Massengo

Weimann.               O'Dowda 

Diedhiou

We won a lot with this kind of set up last season. Defence is worse but midfield much better. So it would be interesting to see all 3 mobile more complete midfielders making that triangle of a 3.

Last season it was usually Pack sitting, Brownhill and Pato more advanced. I'd say any of them, but probably Nagy sitting and Brownhill and Massengo more advanced in a 3 is a massive improvement.

We always lose the midfield battle against Preston but I'd fancy those 3 to win it this time.

We have also seen better performances from those front 3 when playing away. It's not what I'd do, but I predict it's what LJ might go back to for this one game. It's a tough one and this looks mainly a solid side.

I think you're bang on the money and I think it makes sense to have three busy bees in midfield breaking up play, then quick transitions from defence to attack with pace and width from Weimann and O'Dowda. 

30 minutes ago, Redmycolour said:

Because Landsdown sees a big fat Cheque and can't resist the temptation 

I know you dislike lansdown for some reason, but if the club is being offered 10 million plus for players, at our level we can’t turn that down. 

Prestons strategy is risky, if a player gets a career ending injury he’s then worth nothing. It’s better to sell when the price is at its peak than hold out and hope. Furthermore, the club has regularly said it won’t stop players playing in the premier league, so to claim that we only sell because lansdown wants some more money is total nonsense

9 hours ago, JBFC II said:

I know you dislike lansdown for some reason, but if the club is being offered 10 million plus for players, at our level we can’t turn that down. 

Prestons strategy is risky, if a player gets a career ending injury he’s then worth nothing. It’s better to sell when the price is at its peak than hold out and hope. Furthermore, the club has regularly said it won’t stop players playing in the premier league, so to claim that we only sell because lansdown wants some more money is total nonsense

You know nothing about me, just replying to a question, why do we persists in selling our best players, and I just responded, with a true anwser, yes, seeing a big fat Cheque and he can't resist,

On 23/09/2019 at 10:37, mozo said:

I think you're bang on the money and I think it makes sense to have three busy bees in midfield breaking up play, then quick transitions from defence to attack with pace and width from Weimann and O'Dowda. 

I'll be pleasantly surprised if Nagy makes the squad. He was on comms on Robins TV on Saturday. said he was only really starting running on grass again this week. Suspect he'll get a bit of U23s action over the next ten days and we might see him back in the first team 18 for Reading, maybe Brentford if he goes well. 

Archived