IGNORED

PNE away

City oz

27 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I'll be pleasantly surprised if Nagy makes the squad. He was on comms on Robins TV on Saturday. said he was only really starting running on grass again this week. Suspect he'll get a bit of U23s action over the next ten days and we might see him back in the first team 18 for Reading, maybe Brentford if he goes well. 

I was hoping he'd be closer, but with HNM smashing it at the mo' we can cope, though I feel he'll need a rest soon. Love to see how good we can be with a fully fit squad.

On 22/09/2019 at 09:34, 1960maaan said:

4 of us going up early Saturday, hope the Catholic club has some new beer on, it's like Phoenix ******* nights in there.

Might buy a ticket for the meat raffle this year.

I'm sure we made you feel welcome at St Gregory's Catholic Club last season and we look forward to offering you and your party our hospitality again on Saturday. You will be pleased to know that we do have some new products on our bar and we also have Sky Sports. I look forward to selling you a ticket for our money prize raffle. 

On 23/09/2019 at 13:05, Mr Popodopolous said:

Should be quite an interesting game.

Would it be fair to say PNE play a bit more football this season @pnefcok ? That could provide us with both a threat to us defensively and an opportunity pushing up- Deepdale looks a fortress this season for you, 12 points from 12- would take a point tbh.

For us, Palmer behind Weimann IMO- a 3-5-1-1 could even be interesting. Diedhiou I just don't know..

Home form has been a bit mediocre over the past couple of seasons so AN has changed it up a bit, with good results so far.

Daniel Johnson is playing as a no.10, a more technical and creative option, with Browne currently on the bench. The return of Bodin from injury and Maguire to form has given us a lot of technical quality on the flanks to break teams down.

We still lack a bit of a presence up top, with Stockley seriously underwhelming so far since signing, but Barkhuizen is doing a good job up there at the moment.

46 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

One of the most consistently dirty & cheating sides to have frequent d the Gate in recent years

And it works perfectly for them to be fair. Not pretty to watch but they find a way of getting results, especially against less streetwise teams such as ourselves 

4 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

And it works perfectly for them to be fair. Not pretty to watch but they find a way of getting results, especially against less streetwise teams such as ourselves 

No problem with the PNE posters on here but don’t get the imaginary love in with them

Horrible side and anti football 

36 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

No problem with the PNE posters on here but don’t get the imaginary love in with them

I’d start Semenyo and Diedhiou up top for that reason. I like Weimann but think Semenyo and Diedhiou could help each other out a bit more with the physical stuff. 

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

There isn’t an imaginary love in, I’m sure I’m not alone in wishing we had a bit of a nasty streak ourselves.

It’s not anti football, it’s playing the game how they want to, which may include niggly fouls, time wasting and shithousery but it’s very effective

1 hour ago, TuxHarry said:

Agreed, **** having to watch Preston every week.

Bland ground, an owner with no ambition, gates of barely over 10,000 and horrible football to watch. 

Shite club.

Wind back 5 years and we were playing in front of 10k playing some awful football. Let’s think about where we’ve been before using things such as attendances to have a go at others...

Their owner has ambition, that’s a ridiculous statement, if he didn’t they wouldn’t be top 6 would they?

4 hours ago, Hammy55 said:

I'm sure we made you feel welcome at St Gregory's Catholic Club last season and we look forward to offering you and your party our hospitality again on Saturday. You will be pleased to know that we do have some new products on our bar and we also have Sky Sports. I look forward to selling you a ticket for our money prize raffle. 

Yep, made very welcome, that's why we're planning on paying another visit at the weekend. In fact the only disappointment , apart from not getting the 3 points (maybe this year ?), was the Sainsbury's breakfast. Shame no meat raffle, I guess money will have to do :laughcont:.

Do you have any new draught beers on this year?

On 23/09/2019 at 13:17, RedDave said:

Their weakest side is their left. Pereira’s sheer pace can cause them issues and be a key attacking area for us I reckon. 

Maybe so but with hunts assists this season that in it self is enough , Pereira constantly got caught out in defence last time i saw him play and this was in a u21 game..... 

Totally Football League show actually did a longer preview of this game. Focus was on PNE and on Neil. Lots of talk of PNE's good home record and the upgrades (Bower) to their defence. Mentioned that 5 of 7 PNE goals conceded were from crosses - so maybe get Eliasson on from the start? Or are we good enough with Hunt and COD? O

They didn't really say anything new about us - our 'big issue' is the striking options - obviously Afobe was mentioned. Podcast suggesting Eliasson on the left, Hunt on the right and expecting LJ to stick with 352...I'm not sure they realise that Eliasson doesn't really fit into LJ's standard 352.

Anyway, I suspect we won't see the same starting XI we got at home last week. The Szmodics as a striker experiment didn't really work. Instead I wouldn't be surprised to see the XI that started v Stoke. Assuming Baker is fit to start of course. 

On ‎23‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 16:34, Riaz said:

Did they get a 15m plus bid for pearson did they???

Without knowing the chairman personally I think I can confirm that if we got a 15 million pound bid for any player the owner would have driven the player to a club making the offer and signed for him....!

and to be fair I don't blame him... we operate along the lines of allowing players to go and get rich...

They may end up well off playing for us but certainly not rich rich like you can get from one contract in the prem....

7 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

One of the most consistently dirty & cheating sides to have frequent d the Gate in recent years

Give it up Bob you will he mentioning Garner and Hugill again ? , in fairness in parts of last season we played some lovely football and have done so this season but we manage games out in the last 10-15 if necessary and if we played like Liverpool / Man City at your place you would still claim shithousery and always will regardless of how we play , no question we have cheated and conned the refs in the past but recently I’m not so sure and think you have us prejudged but just my opinion , think Sat will be our toughest test of the season so far and would be happy with a draw 

6 hours ago, TuxHarry said:

Agreed, **** having to watch Preston every week.

Bland ground, an owner with no ambition, gates of barely over 10,000 and horrible football to watch. 

Shite club.

Enjoy it myself ? , I watch circa 40 games a season and the anti football thing makes me chuckle - we have played some lovely football in the last 12 months but teams like Preston will always be labelled the same - I look forward to the footballing prowess that is Bristol City arriving on Sat ?

16 hours ago, JBFC II said:

There isn’t an imaginary love in, I’m sure I’m not alone in wishing we had a bit of a nasty streak ourselves.

It’s not anti football, it’s playing the game how they want to, which may include niggly fouls, time wasting and shithousery but it’s very effective

Wind back 5 years and we were playing in front of 10k playing some awful football. Let’s think about where we’ve been before using things such as attendances to have a go at others...

Their owner has ambition, that’s a ridiculous statement, if he didn’t they wouldn’t be top 6 would they?

Why do you feel the need to comment on everything I post no matter how little knowledge you have which often is absolutely zilch?

Trevor Hemmings has absolutely no ambition, you referring to the fact that they’re top 6 in September really does **** all for your argument. 

City had *some* crowds of 10k in L1 when looking like we were going to drop to L2, never dipped below. Preston had some gates of 8k when they were chasing promotion.

As others have pointed out, the “love in” is cringeworthy as anything.

13 minutes ago, TuxHarry said:

Why do you feel the need to comment on everything I post no matter how little knowledge you have which often is absolutely zilch?

Trevor Hemmings has absolutely no ambition, you referring to the fact that they’re top 6 in September really does **** all for your argument. 

City had *some* crowds of 10k in L1 when looking like we were going to drop to L2, never dipped below. Preston had some gates of 8k when they were chasing promotion.

As others have pointed out, the “love in” is cringeworthy as anything.

Because you were commenting on what I had posted maybe? I didn’t realise you were the font of all Preston North End knowledge as well...

Preston have a low turnover, mainly due to comparitively small crowds and being a smaller club in the league. Therefore Hemmings can’t spend as much as some other championship owners due to FFP. What they have done instead is be very clever with their dealings, buying in cheap players from Ireland and the lower leagues. Some won’t work but some will. Look at Hugill for example, they paid 27k for him and sold him for just over 9 million. The strategy is similar to ours, however the difference is that we are commercially a better option than Preston, which leads to greater revenue and so we can spend more to bring in higher name players and not have to rely on as many lower fee punts. 

This doesn’t mean Hemmings doesn’t want it, he’s very much held back by FFP. However he’s been clever. In fact the situation is very similar to how some fans saw lansdowns management up until recently. They have finished in the top half every season since they came up, bar last year where they still managed a respectable 14th, which is impressive especially considering their financial power compared to most clubs in the league. 

Attendances isn’t a stick to beat them with either, they’re a smaller club with little history since the 1950s and they’re on the doorstep of the likes of Blackburn, Wigan, Man United and Man City, all of whom have had much more recent success. Let’s not forget we are based in a large 2 club city, with the other team being incredibly shite of late and yet we have only recently started getting crowds of 20k. We aren’t bigger than Preston due to our attendances at all, it’s a pretty poor argument. 

I fail to see the love in for Preston on here, some people just respect them for being a well run club who have a method of play that although not everyone likes, is effective and allows them to be a competitive championship team. We aren’t Man City or Barcelona, lets be honest...

20 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Yep, made very welcome, that's why we're planning on paying another visit at the weekend. In fact the only disappointment , apart from not getting the 3 points (maybe this year ?), was the Sainsbury's breakfast. Shame no meat raffle, I guess money will have to do :laughcont:.

Do you have any new draught beers on this year?

Yes we do, we have Bud Light, Bass Mild, and Magners Dark Fruit in addition to the beers we had last season. We also be serving pies & peas so no need to go to Sainsbury’s for breakfast ?

On 25/09/2019 at 15:29, Shtanley said:

I’d start Semenyo and Diedhiou up top for that reason. I like Weimann but think Semenyo and Diedhiou could help each other out a bit more with the physical stuff. 

I see the logic in that, but it might take us away from playing to our strengths.  Tough call, but it would be nice to line-up and not need to change it significantly to secure a result.

Re PNE, they might not have Garner or Hugill, but they still have Pearson who will tackle above the centre of the ball.  They still have Gallagher, who goes a bit under the radar for being good at the “dark arts”.  And finally they have Johnson, who will stand on every free kick, kick it away 5 yards, etc.  I do blame referees for not dealing with it.  Preston are good at it, and us trying to do the same is futile because we aren’t as good as it.  We are a bit more streetwise this season though.  Not sure if their footballing style has changed, but they were very quick in midfield to hit the ball down the sides or in behind to fluid forward players (Robinson, Maguire) who were always on the half-turn and willing.

With Robinson gone, it’s interesting to read that Maguire is playing wide and Barkhuisen central, although I suspect they are still fluid.

I’m not sure there is a love-in with PNE, but the posters on there (below) are sensible posters and I think their comments on here are respected.  I also feel there is a bond because of Oskar who walked on the pitch at the Preston home game, and I think there was a bucket collection that Preston fans contributed to to help raise funds for his op....so a bit of respect gained...even if we don’t like their players.

@pnefcok and @Mortis with the changes up front, and role for Johnson, have you changed the way you play, or are you still about hitting the spaces, willing runners and squeezing up behind?  Or is it a bit more refined and playing through DJ?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I see the logic in that, but it might take us away from playing to our strengths.  Tough call, but it would be nice to line-up and not need to change it significantly to secure a result.

Re PNE, they might not have Garner or Hugill, but they still have Pearson who will tackle above the centre of the ball.  They still have Gallagher, who goes a bit under the radar for being good at the “dark arts”.  And finally they have Johnson, who will stand on every free kick, kick it away 5 yards, etc.  I do blame referees for not dealing with it.  Preston are good at it, and us trying to do the same is futile because we aren’t as good as it.  We are a bit more streetwise this season though.  Not sure if their footballing style has changed, but they were very quick in midfield to hit the ball down the sides or in behind to fluid forward players (Robinson, Maguire) who were always on the half-turn and willing.

With Robinson gone, it’s interesting to read that Maguire is playing wide and Barkhuisen central, although I suspect they are still fluid.

I’m not sure there is a love-in with PNE, but the posters on there (below) are sensible posters and I think their comments on here are respected.  I also feel there is a bond because of Oskar who walked on the pitch at the Preston home game, and I think there was a bucket collection that Preston fans contributed to to help raise funds for his op....so a bit of respect gained...even if we don’t like their players.

@pnefcok and @Mortis with the changes up front, and role for Johnson, have you changed the way you play, or are you still about hitting the spaces, willing runners and squeezing up behind?  Or is it a bit more refined and playing through DJ?

Hi Dave , a bit surprising but we are have been quite a different side so far this season some of it enforced ( the sale of Robinson and Moult out for  the season ) , over the last couple of seasons we have played away on the counter with on the whole a decent away record but at home we lack a number 10 ( Browne has been there ) and since the sale of Hugill our home record has been very poor , the real differences have been we concede loads from crosses and set pieces but the signing of Bauer and bringing in a goal keeping coach with experience has helped Rudd and Bauer / Davies are building a partnership and getting better game by game , Johnson has at last been put in the position that suits him the number 10 role as he has a lovely football brain , Harrop and Bodin both missed a full season with ACLs and look fresh and we are not playing with an out and out striker but rotating Barhuizen , Maguire and Bodin , I genuinely think this is the strongest squad I’ve seen assembled at Preston in over 40 years and whilst we perhaps need a 20 goal a season striker we have 10 players in midfield that are all good enough in the Championship and our bench this season is as strong as I can remember , we’ve no real stars but a good solid squad that will give most teams a good game , well aware of how strong City are and think it should be a very good game on Sat and possibly a draw 2-1 either way , I’m normally glass half empty being  a Preston fan ? but this team under Neil could a real dark horse for the playoffs this season with a lack of injuries and a bit of luck along the way ??

@pnefcok @Mortis has the Charnock Hotel actually closed down now? On the day of our game earlier this year they said it was the last day and the landlady was in floods of tears when we left, but another local said they announce closing down a lot but rarely do. Is it still going or not? 

13 hours ago, Olé said:

@pnefcok @Mortis has the Charnock Hotel actually closed down now? On the day of our game earlier this year they said it was the last day and the landlady was in floods of tears when we left, but another local said they announce closing down a lot but rarely do. Is it still going or not? 

Yes heard it’s closed. Bit of a shame given its history, unlikeness and the fact that there were some loyal regulars in that little area who were in a lot, but also not surprising unfortunately.

Main option for drinking now near the ground is the Moorbrook. Or drink in town then head on to the game.

23 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Looks like we’ve sold around 600 for this. 

Thats pretty appalling tbh, especially when you look at how quickly the Luton tickets have gone

Wouldn't call it appalling and it's POTD now and 1600 sold for Brentford next week, I would call it quite impressive .

2 minutes ago, weepywall said:

Wouldn't call it appalling and it's POTD now and 1600 sold for Brentford next week, I would call it quite impressive .

Really?

We’re in the play offs without losing away this season. Yes it’s a bit of a pain to get to but I was expecting 800 plus

14 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Really?

We’re in the play offs without losing away this season. Yes it’s a bit of a pain to get to but I was expecting 800 plus

I'll be there via Blackpool. Staying with my Preston supporting cousin on the Fylde before the short hop to Deepdale tomorrow.

I've managed to miss our last 2 home matches due to a holiday in Lanzarote, followed by a work weekend in Stratford upon Avon.

Why would I prefer the home of Shakespeare to Ashton Gate? That is the question.

Anyway, tomorrow. Massengo to run so many rings around Pearson that the hard man gets motion sickness and Diedhiou to score a hat-trick. Sorted.

Laters.

Archived