IGNORED

PNE away

City oz

15 hours ago, UpTheWhites said:

Folk always seem surprise when we get a good run of results or beat a good side etc... but we're not - we know that we have some incredibly talented players. 

I like Bristol City, to be fair. A proper forward thinking club which you can see by the stadium, and even the media team / the kits ! Fans seem proper sound as well, apart from their hatred towards us when we take longer than five seconds to take a throw in...

One thing I don't like is how Lee Johnson tries putting PNEFC and BCFC in the same boat... our transfer record is £1.5M, Lee. Our top earners are on £10K p/w. Your owner puts much, much more money into the club than ours does. Every credit to him! 

Fair comment but bear in mind that we can pay the fees we do because we raise money from selling players at top prices. For example, selling Webster for £20m and signing Kalas for £8m.

Our owner wants the club to become more self sufficient as well as complying with FFP without gaming the system. This frustrates a minority of fans who are critical of Steve for not spending enough.

You seem to be a club that is financially responsible, with some talented players of considerable market value, that is performing well on the pitch. That's something to be proud of and grateful for, especially given the plight of two of your near neighbours.

18 hours ago, mozo said:

Must say, I'm worried about this game. Preston will be buzzing atm and will get on the front foot.

I'd take a draw. If we win this one, I'll be all giddy with the feeling that this could be our year. 

Draw 3-3 

33 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Fair comment but bear in mind that we can pay the fees we do because we raise money from selling players at top prices. For example, selling Webster for £20m and signing Kalas for £8m.

Our owner wants the club to become more self sufficient as well as complying with FFP without gaming the system. This frustrates a minority of fans who are critical of Steve for not spending enough.

You seem to be a club that is financially responsible, with some talented players of considerable market value, that is performing well on the pitch. That's something to be proud of and grateful for, especially given the plight of two of your near neighbours.

Fully understand that mate. 

But we sold Hugill for £9M... replacement £750K. Sold Robinson for £7M... replacement a season loan. Sold Cunningham for £3.5M... replacement £200K. 

Considering we hardly reinvest the transfer fees we bring in, it's a miracle that we've been finishing where we have. Every credit to the advisor to the owner Peter Ridsdale and the manager who are very shrewd in the transfer market. 

Regarding some fans being critical of your owner for not spending enough... christ alive! 

19 hours ago, pnefcok said:

The plan seems to be Barkhuizen as the workhorse with his pace up top stretching teams and running the channels, then a bunch of technicians from the wide areas and in behind like Maguire, Bodin, Johnson etc. working there magic in the space he's created.

I'd prefer Barkhuizen in his natural wide role as would AN but it's needs must really without a proper striker. Moult is injured, Stockley is too slow and Nugent was supposedly a club signing and has been injured. It was the second summer transfer window in a row during which AN was denied the striker he wanted, which is frustrating given that we've shown great promise in the last couple of years and it is probably the main thing that the squad, which is on the whole very strong, lacks badly.

To be fair........a similar situation to us ( Not that LJ has been denied funds}  But in the sense that we have an excellent defence and midfield, but lack that 20 goal a season striker that would make the difference.  Of course we did  have a certain Benik Afobe, who looked the possible answer to all our prayers, but his major injury has put us back to where we were at pre-season?  Everyone is hoping that Semenyo could be the solution, but it's a lot to ask of a young player starting out.

1 hour ago, UpTheWhites said:

Fully understand that mate. 

But we sold Hugill for £9M... replacement £750K. Sold Robinson for £7M... replacement a season loan. Sold Cunningham for £3.5M... replacement £200K. 

Considering we hardly reinvest the transfer fees we bring in, it's a miracle that we've been finishing where we have. Every credit to the advisor to the owner Peter Ridsdale and the manager who are very shrewd in the transfer market. 

Regarding some fans being critical of your owner for not spending enough... christ alive! 

I suppose my question is, what is happening to the money raised? Is it being used to offset losses, upgrade infrastructure etc.? Or is it just being stockpiled, or worse?

3 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I suppose my question is, what is happening to the money raised? Is it being used

At the end of the day the club needs to make profits financially. The board at BCFC would not settle anything lower than a play off position. They are aware the supporters would not be expecting anything less. Can i suggest stop being negative and lets see if your comments are valid by end of October. If City are not in the top two by this time i would be surprised. LJ has a good team and support and I agree injuries of late are not good. People look at the media when players are sold and they think that this amount is money in the bank for the club that sold them, however there are lots of contractural clauses that need to be concluded. Also bringing a player in on loan costs a heaps load of money and we do not get these players for free, there would be insurance costs, costs to the club where they came from, relocation allowances, accomodation allowances and the list goes on and on.

2 minutes ago, City oz said:

At the end of the day the club needs to make profits financially. The board at BCFC would not settle anything lower than a play off position. They are aware the supporters would not be expecting anything less. Can i suggest stop being negative and lets see if your comments are valid by end of October. If City are not in the top two by this time i would be surprised. LJ has a good team and support and I agree injuries of late are not good. People look at the media when players are sold and they think that this amount is money in the bank for the club that sold them, however there are lots of contractural clauses that need to be concluded. Also bringing a player in on loan costs a heaps load of money and we do not get these players for free, there would be insurance costs, costs to the club where they came from, relocation allowances, accomodation allowances and the list goes on and on.

I was responding to a Preston fan and talking about their club so you might want to read the exchange again.

For the record, as my posting history will show, I support our club's strategy.

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

To be fair........a similar situation to us ( Not that LJ has been denied funds}  But in the sense that we have an excellent defence and midfield, but lack that 20 goal a season striker that would make the difference.  Of course we did  have a certain Benik Afobe, who looked the possible answer to all our prayers, but his major injury has put us back to where we were at pre-season?  Everyone is hoping that Semenyo could be the solution, but it's a lot to ask of a young player starting out.

Yep, but it’s not even like we need or expect a 20 goal signing. Just someone with mobility and physicality to suit our system like Hugill did. Stockley is just too slow for it. Barkhuizen can do the running but lacks the physicality.

On 25/09/2019 at 16:05, JBFC II said:

There isn’t an imaginary love in, I’m sure I’m not alone in wishing we had a bit of a nasty streak ourselves.

It’s not anti football, it’s playing the game how they want to, which may include niggly fouls, time wasting and shithousery but it’s very effective

Wind back 5 years and we were playing in front of 10k playing some awful football. Let’s think about where we’ve been before using things such as attendances to have a go at others...

Their owner has ambition, that’s a ridiculous statement, if he didn’t they wouldn’t be top 6 would they?

Did you really post “wind back 5 years and we were playing in front of 10k playing some awful football.” ???!!!

5 years ago we were in the season where we won the League One Title with 99 points, our average attendance was 12,247 and that was only because half the ground had been demolished - we had a fantastic team and we won the first meaningful silverware in most of our lifetimes ...

17 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Did you really post “wind back 5 years and we were playing in front of 10k playing some awful football.” ???!!!

5 years ago we were in the season where we won the League One Title with 99 points, our average attendance was 12,247 and that was only because half the ground had been demolished - we had a fantastic team and we won the first meaningful silverware in most of our lifetimes ...

In 2014 (5 years ago) we played port vale at home in front of 10900 fans. 

What part of that is hard for you to understand?

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

In 2014 (5 years ago) we played port vale at home in front of 10900 fans. 

What part of that is hard for you to understand?

5 years ago was Sept 2014 - a month or so into the season when we won the league with 99 points - which part of that is hard for you to understand? 

(and we beat Port Vale 5-0 in the game you mentioned - ‘awful football’)

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

5 years ago was Sept 2014 - a month or so into the season when we won the league with 99 points - which part of that is hard for you to understand? 

(and we beat Port Vale 5-0 in the game you mentioned - ‘awful football’)

Sorry for not being totally accurate on the month, but I’m sure you still get the point.

And yes we did beat a shocking port vale team that evening, but the football that season was shocking, hence the regular sub 11k crowds

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

Sorry for not being totally accurate on the month, but I’m sure you still get the point.

And yes we did beat a shocking port vale team that evening, but the football that season was shocking, hence the regular sub 11k crowds

I think we are actually in agreement regarding your original point - I don’t think PNE’s crowd are too bad and they definitely aren’t ‘piss poor’ as @AppyDAZE described them. In a town of around 140,000 inhabitants they are probably punching above their weight on the attendances front.

i have a good friend in Preston and he says a significant number of people from the town go to watch Liverpool and Man Utd as they are just down the road. So they are also competing with huge clubs in the area - I wonder what sort of crowds Bristol City would be getting if we had a tiny population and Man U, Man C, Liverpool, Everton etc were on our doorstep - relatively speaking.

And there was even a clown on here a while back bemoaning Burnley’s “pathetic crowds” in the premier league - Burnley has a population of 87,000 -  at their last home game 23% of their population turned up, I don’t think that’s pathetic ...

8 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I think we are actually in agreement regarding your original point - I don’t think PNE’s crowd are too bad and they definitely aren’t ‘piss poor’ as @AppyDAZE described them. In a town of around 140,000 inhabitants they are probably punching above their weight on the attendances front.

i have a good friend in Preston and he says a significant number of people from the town go to watch Liverpool and Man Utd as they are just down the road. So they are also competing with huge clubs in the area - I wonder what sort of crowds Bristol City would be getting if Man U, Man C, Liverpool, Everton etc were on our doorstep - relatively speaking.

And there was even a clown on here a while back bemoaning Burnley’s “pathetic crowds” in the premier league - Burnley has a population of 87,000 -  at their last home game 23% of their population turned up, I don’t think that’s pathetic ...

Aright, you've made your point and I accept that you have a case regarding their gates. That said, calling  a fellow City fan a clown for expressing a different opinion to yours is a bit off.

1 minute ago, AppyDAZE said:

Aright, you've made your point and I accept that you have a case regarding their gates. That said, calling  a fellow City fan a clown for expressing a different opinion to yours is a bit off.

Apologies - I didn’t think the word ‘clown’ was too abusive or offensive - I will refrain from using it again. 

Archived