IGNORED

Post- Match Radio Bristol Experience

Lord Northski

Probably like many, my end of the game experience means a few minutes chat with those who sit around me as we shuffle towards the exits and walk towards our cars before heading off in different directions. We then turn the car radio on and listen to Geoff Twentyman, who I’ve always loved on the radio and think he does a pretty good job given his remit and budget. However, I think it’s time we had a shake up and the supporters of all the “big” local clubs are given a better, tailored, post-match offering which will mean that us City fans wanting to hear people talking about City wouldn’t have to listen to a seemingly interminable interview with a Yeovil Town manager or a Yate Town kit man or a Gas supporter on the way home from a 2 all draw away at Canvey Island. 

If Radio Bristol can manage to split its frequencies for concurrent commentaries, then surely there’s both the staff and the capacity for a custom-fit post match offering, allowing us all to wallow in everything Bristol City, with a round up of what happened elsewhere. Plus, why does their traffic reporter bloke always say that everything seems to be running well on the roads, when we’ve been stuck in Bedminster for the past 45 minutes?

Clearly the success of team specific podcasts and Radio Bristol’s own Monday evening slot for City fans shows there’s a demand, but the immediate post-game audience offering falls way short of what could be provided, given the tens of thousands who have just left the game and may be listening at home.

Think it’s time the Beeb upped their game and provided the programming a majority of its audience wants, rather than the same old, same old which is tired and had it’s day. 

Radio Bristol's sports budget does a disservice to the word pawltry. To have a properly tailored post-match from even two clubs would mean running a second studio, which in itself requires 2-3 people as well.

And given that they are so desperate for callers that the delightful Ian is called by the producers before he's even had a chance to ring in, there would be a lot of airtime to fill when you filter out the callers from other clubs getting involved.

At the end of the day, it's Radio Bristol, not Radio Bristol City. And totally get that you might not be interested in how the Blue Few, Yeovil or Mangotsfield have got on, but I think there's a fair few who do.

In fairness to Geoff the budget comments are, I'm sure, spot on. Geoff's personality carries the whole show. But as a show it does nothing well. Phone ins with no callers suggest flogging a dead horse with a format that doesn't work. Cheap I know, but tired beyond belief. Listen to other local radio stations - Sheffield comes to mind - and their show crackles with informed opinion from former players and people with inside knowledge.

Geoff is tasked with covering all sport that has happened in both Bristol and Somerset. Right now Bristol has two football clubs doing well, two successful rugby clubs. And two cricket sides still with something to play for. A sports show built around that ought to be exciting.

I got back to my car for the last 20 minutes and last night I heard nothing on a City side going for promotion to the world's top league in its most successful sport until the Massengo interview - but I did get the local football and rugby results of sides nobody unrelated to their players gives two-hoots about, a traffic report that told me that all the pinch pints of Bristol's traffic were, as ever, the pinch points of Bristol's traffic, the rugby world cup scores which I could have heard anywhere and an awful lot about non-league Yeovil Town, a side no one in Bristol follows, and barely anyone in Somerset.

The format has to change. 

2 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Maidstone United, for one, has its own internet radio station.

These cost pennies and I'm sure some of our expert fans would happily run the discussion for free.

Maybe we could have a Sunday night Swedish hour presented by Tommy.

https://www.stoneslive.com/

@Shtanley new opportunity???

2 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Maidstone United, for one, has its own internet radio station.

These cost pennies and I'm sure some of our expert fans would happily run the discussion for free.

Maybe we could have a Sunday night Swedish hour presented by Tommy.

https://www.stoneslive.com/

I think the OSIB podcasts have been excellent - better than anything Radio Bristol is ever likely to produce. What this would never compete with is the audience tuning in on the drive home...Radio Bristol has a captive audience there, and ought to be thinking a bit more cleverly how to address it. It must be the only time many people ever tune into the station.

1 hour ago, Red Exile said:

I think the OSIB podcasts have been excellent - better than anything Radio Bristol is ever likely to produce. What this would never compete with is the audience tuning in on the drive home...Radio Bristol has a captive audience there, and ought to be thinking a bit more cleverly how to address it. It must be the only time many people ever tune into the station.

I thought people listened to internet radio these days through their phones bluetoothing into their stereos.

I'm still FM and AM but I know some people do this.

Edit: I think Radio Bristol's sports coverage is good and Geoff is an excellent and even handed presenter.

To me though it stepped down a level when it started heavily featuring Yeovil when they got to Div 3 and then Div 2.

Don't get me wrong I quite like Yeovil but coverage and calls about them belong on Radio Somerset and not on Radio Bristol.

I confess I hadn't thought of bluetooth streaming. I guess I'd consider that, regardless of what else is available, the  BBC local radio coverage should have the resources to be the broadcasting gold-standard local view of the afternoon's events...or that's what it should aim to be.

Having travelled away a fair bit I'm struck by how some - but not all in fairness - local BBC stations have a much higher level of analysis and take football coverage more seriously. Imagine Gary Owers delivering a detailed assessment of a performance, and compare that to listening to the views of the same few fans that get aired every week. Radio Sheffield manages - in its 'Praise or Grumble' show - to cover United, Wednesday, Rotherham, Barnsley, Chesterfield and Doncaster...a dynamic phone in and lots of analysis, often critical. I've heard far less of the 'is there anything you'd like to say to the listeners?' style of interviewing, which results in the stream of cliches the Rovers captain managed yesterday.

I don't doubt that resources are limited, or that Geoff has done a good job down the years, but the whole set-up lacks ambition - in my opinion!

Part of the problem is not enough people call in. That’s why they keep having to bugger off to reports about what happened at Old Trafford etc etc etc after the match  

Those who do call in are normally called cocks, idiots, no nothings etc on here and else where so fewer and fewer bother. 

Thus the show now starts at 2 instead of 1 and ends at 6 instead of 6:30. 

2 hours ago, Shtanley said:

We’ve thought about “live episodes” for a while. Wondering if it’d be worth it.

Maybe for the 100th episode. Maybe do it in a pub in front of listeners. 

A cider with "all the fans"? 

Not a fan of the apple juice. I'll have a Fortitude please. 

3 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

A bit like the Radio One roadshows on Weston beach?

If the OSIB guys could create an event like the Q&As with SL at away matches in days gone by...but with slightly more focused questions than often came from the (slightly drunken) floor!...they'd be on to something.

Archived