Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

JonDolman

What do we do up front?

The loss of Afobe might well have ruined our chances of promotion. I'm not usually one to go over the top, but I really fancied us with Afobe. I think we would have won yesterday with him up top. So clear how much we missed him. We could still make playoffs of course, but can't help but think it's a lot more difficult without Benik.

So what can LJ do with what we have?

Weimann doesn't look like he could do the lone role. He surely needs another striker alongside him.

Fam came on and was very good for rest of the first half. But in the second he was so poor. I have never really understood fans that say Diedhiou is so much better in a 2. I have yet to see him link up well with any other forward or number 10 just behind. Him and Weimann has never looked good, and Palmer and Diedhiou don't look like they belong in the same side.

Do we settle with Deidhiou, or do we give Semenyo a run in the side to help his development and most importantly hope he can do well up there with Weimann. I'd rather that than Diedhiou if we are going 2 strikers.

I also wonder if there is a less obvious option. Szmodics can play up there, but yesterday looked too lightweight and should maybe play in behind 2 strikers, rather than being a striker.

I wonder what O'Dowda would be like alongside Weimann with Palmer in behind them, sliding balls through. I think O'Dowda has all the attributes to do that role. He isnt lightweight like Szmodics. He will press very well, very quick and works his socks off. It's what i would like to see LJ try.

Let's assume we stick with what we have and don't bring in a free. What would people like to see LJ try?

Oh I nearly forgot there is Marley Watkins. Who I actually think would have offered more than Fam yesterday. Physical presence but actually runs a lot too, something Fam wasn't doing. Problem second half was Fam up top, Palmer just behind him, both strolling around. Even if Watkins is not great technically, he offers a lot off the ball which was missing up top second half.

• Thanks 1

Personally I’d like to Semenyo given a chance but it seems that LJ is reluctant as he must feel AS isn’t quite ready. That said, we saw yesterday as last season how tough it is for Famara playing essentially on his own up top and maybe LJ will be forced to give AS a start before long.

Other teams won’t know much about him so there’s a surprise element to consider. He’s also very quick and no defenders like playing against pace.

• Haha 1

1. Let the centre halves know you are there, early doors

2. Knock it in the channels

3. Get across the near post

4. Stand it up at the back stick and don't die wondering 

5. Keep on letting the centre halves know you are there

6. All of the above, but if it can be enacted by someone who knows where the goal is, happy days

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, swanker said:

Play players who score goals! Marley Watkins, are you having a laugh?

To be fair, he has popped up with the odd goal. COYR 

Wiemann up front with Semenyo and Palmer just behind trying to play a fluid 3 with movement and swapping positions as Semenyo and Palmer more likely to meet crosses running in but Wiemann more likely to score on the deck being slid in by Palmer, Brownhill etc.

Alternatively get a free agent in now and get them match fit within a month like we did with Ashley.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

To be fair, he has popped up with the odd goal. COYR 

Yep. And he scored 11 for Barnsley last season for them in championship

The first half 15 minute cameo from Fam was great, and until I saw the highlights, I didn’t realise just how close he was with that low cross slid across the 6 yard line. However in the second half, it just didn’t happen. Palmer added more creativity, and Fam did occasionally get his head to the ball for a flick on but we had no one running onto it. 

The reality is that Fam is a reasonable striker at this level, whereas Adobe was a potentially excellent one. The potential free agents don’t exactly inspire, as many of them can be content to sit back on their previous large earnings. Like Ashley Williams (who was excellent yesterday) they need a reason to play beyond the money.

Weimann, Palmer & Semenyo is a decent fast paced attacking front 3. Ideally go 4-3-3, with Hunt and Rowe adding the width. The only problem acutely is that Palmer is at risk of suspension if he gets too many more yellow cards.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

1. Let the centre halves know you are there, early doors

2. Knock it in the channels

3. Get across the near post

4. Stand it up at the back stick and don't die wondering 

5. Keep on letting the centre halves know you are there

6. All of the above, but if it can be enacted by someone who knows where the goal is, happy days

Summary: PUT IT IN THE MIXER!!!

If it was the right fit, wages, contract, DNA etc, I'd have Bony here all day long.

So much experience. £28 million player 3 years ago.

Think injury and malaria and timing halted his game time 

Family home in Swansea, both his lads in their Academy. 

Think contract and wages would be an issue though.

As for what we've got on our books...we are toothless up front. We get to the last third and it's a guessing game. When Afobe was playing we looked on it. Without...in the last third, it looks like a team that doesn't know what to do. 

We just don't create enough good chances...everything seems like a hopeful 50/50 type ball.

Weimann is running everywhere...but not into goal scoring areas. Famara looks lost tbh. Semenyo plays more like a second striker. Smozdicks looks like he needs a season to develop.

Palmer and Famara in the same team doesn't work for me...with Afobe it did.

Can't see enough goals coming or even chances with what we have up front.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Unicorn 1

I thought Fammy looked decent, especially in first half yesterday. He was winning the ball AND laying it off to a team mate and nearly scored. Second half he was fairly anonymous but then the service was fairly non-existent too, as Eliasson didn't get in his usual string of quality crosses. 

Losing Afobe is a massive blow, no good having Fammy up front with Weimann they just don't click, so for me got to be worth trying Semenyo & Weimann, or even Semonyo & Fammy (I know everyone loves Weimann for his endless running, but for me he doesn't offer enough end product - 2 goals in 8 games this season played up front in all of them speaks for itself).

• Like 3

I used to have some sympathy for Diedhiou with him often being isolated, but the performances of Afobe showed Diedhiou up for the extremely limited player that he is. Specifically the Derby game where Diedhiou came on for Afobe and gave one of the worst 20 minute performances I have seen. He has no movement, no instinct, an awful touch, and is not aggressive enough. I’d much rather see Semenyo given a chance as Diedhiou has shown he’s not good enough to get us in the top 6. 

Edited by SuperRed
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

The first half 15 minute cameo from Fam was great, and until I saw the highlights, I didn’t realise just how close he was with that low cross slid across the 6 yard line. However in the second half, it just didn’t happen. Palmer added more creativity, and Fam did occasionally get his head to the ball for a flick on but we had no one running onto it. 

The reality is that Fam is a reasonable striker at this level, whereas Adobe was a potentially excellent one. The potential free agents don’t exactly inspire, as many of them can be content to sit back on their previous large earnings. Like Ashley Williams (who was excellent yesterday) they need a reason to play beyond the money.

Weimann, Palmer & Semenyo is a decent fast paced attacking front 3. Ideally go 4-3-3, with Hunt and Rowe adding the width. The only problem acutely is that Palmer is at risk of suspension if he gets too many more yellow cards.

Agree Semenyo better option than Fam. This is the problem with having Fam as back up. He's a plan B, which is a plan that shouldn't really involve Palmer as he suits our plan A which is Afobe up top with Weimann. 

So in hindsight we would have been better selling Fam and having someone like Nakhi Wells as an on the shoulder type to come in for Afobe.

• Like 2

Bony would be great if you want a striker that can play with his back to goal and link up play. That is his strength. We need a different type of striker...one that plays on the shoulder of the last defender looking to run into space for Palmers through balls. In the past 5 yrs Bony was poor at Man City, awful at Stoke and spent 2 yrs on the treatment table at Swansea whilst picking up £100k per week wages.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Personally I’d like to Semenyo given a chance but it seems that LJ is reluctant as he must feel AS isn’t quite ready. That said, we saw yesterday as last season how tough it is for Famara playing essentially on his own up top and maybe LJ will be forced to give AS a start before long.

Other teams won’t know much about him so there’s a surprise element to consider. He’s also very quick and no defenders like playing against pace.

Spot on. 

If we're to score lots of goals this year, we need another player to surprise us, like Bobby did. 

And while they're at it, PLEASE LJ - sort out the BCFC disease that is losing possession over and over again when a simple, quick pass is on. I think we are the worst team in this division for unforced errors in possession. 

• Like 1

Iv never been so gutted about losing a player to injury as I have with Afobe 

I really thought he was the missing link that we needed, seemed like a great character, brought the best out of Palmer and genuinely seemed to be enjoying him self here 

I can’t think  of another player to have so much impact on the whole club and fan base when his injury was confirmed by the club 

absolutely gutted 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

I thought Fammy looked decent, especially in first half yesterday. He was winning the ball AND laying it off to a team mate and nearly scored. Second half he was fairly anonymous but then the service was fairly non-existent too, as Eliasson didn't get in his usual string of quality crosses. 

Losing Afobe is a massive blow, no good having Fammy up front with Weimann they just don't click, so for me got to be worth trying Semenyo & Weimann, or even Semonyo & Fammy (I know everyone loves Weimann for his endless running, but for me he doesn't offer enough end product - 2 goals in 8 games this season played up front in all of them speaks for itself).

You've got to ask yourself...the service to Afobe was good...but rarely to Famara. Both playing as Striker. 

It's down to player movement and positioning. 

Famara looked knackered yesterday. Body language wasn't right. 

Off the pace, lethargic. Gave some energy in first half, but second half was dire imo. Looked like he had no idea...no game plan. Just guessing it seemed like.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Afobe is a big loss. I wonder if LJ is sniffing around an experience free agent looking for one last hurrah. 

I think we’ll need to be in for a striker in January if we are still in and around the play offs but how many times have we said that?!

Matty Taylor should still be here IMO

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Agree Semenyo better option than Fam. This is the problem with having Fam as back up. He's a plan B, which is a plan that shouldn't really involve Palmer as he suits our plan A which is Afobe up top with Weimann. 

So in hindsight we would have been better selling Fam and having someone like Nakhi Wells as an on the shoulder type to come in for Afobe.

I'm still confused by the Semenyo option. Is he even a striker? Every time I see him he plays like a wide forward. If Janneh was fit, I think I'd prefer him. Not because I think he's Championship ready, but because he's a certified striker. The fact that I would even consider Janneh shows that we've got a problem. Ultimately, I think Diedhiou is our only realistic choice at the moment. 

It needs to be someone who isn’t that dissimilar from Afobe stylistically. At a minimum, this should be someone who is a proven goalscorer and can play on the shoulder rather than a back to goal style.

Bony stylistically is more of the latter - and who knows how much he has left after injury and illness.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see us get Gary Hooper.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

No I don’t think so, you need a range of skills and attributes. 

Semenyo had a decent run out at Stoke - against 10 men....and was pretty anonymous, I'm sorry to say. I'd be surprised if LJ had looked at that and Semenyo was likely to be the answer any time soon.

Fam, on the other hand, made an impact at Stoke and initially yesterday, but then drifted out of the match. He doesn't look to me like developing into a top class Championship striker - which Benik Afobe appeared to be. We were excited when Afobe signed because he was a proven goal scorer at this level, a step up...if we are to replace him it needs to be with something similar, which will be hard this side of January, and far from easy then. Alternatively LJ is going to have to be inventive on the training ground and unlock something in the players we have. I fear that if that is the route we follow it will be a frustrating season, too many of the squad players - Watkins, Szmodics, Adelakun - seem to me to lack the quality needed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

The loss of Afobe might well have ruined our chances of promotion. I'm not usually one to go over the top, but I really fancied us with Afobe. I think we would have won yesterday with him up top. So clear how much we missed him. We could still make playoffs of course, but can't help but think it's a lot more difficult without Benik.

Weimann doesn't look like he could do the lone role. He surely needs another striker alongside him.

Fam came on and was very good for rest of the first half. But in the second he was so poor. I have never really understood fans that say Diedhiou is so much better in a 2. I have yet to see him link up well with any other forward or number 10 just behind. Him and Weimann has never looked good, and Palmer and Diedhiou don't look like they belong in the same side.

Do we settle with Deidhiou, or do we give Semenyo a run in the side to help his development and most importantly hope he can do well up there with Weimann. I'd rather that than Diedhiou if we are going 2 strikers.

I also wonder if there is a less obvious option. Szmodics can play up there, but yesterday looked too lightweight and should maybe play in behind 2 strikers, rather than being a striker.

I wonder what O'Dowda would be like alongside Weimann with Palmer in behind them, sliding balls through. I think O'Dowda has all the attributes to do that role. He isnt lightweight like Szmodics. He will press very well, very quick and works his socks off. It's what i would like to see LJ try.

Let's assume we stick with what we have and don't bring in a free. What would people like to see LJ try?

Oh I nearly forgot there is Marley Watkins. Who I actually think would have offered more than Fam yesterday. Physical presence but actually runs a lot too, something Fam wasn't doing. Problem second half was Fam up top, Palmer just behind him, both strolling around. Even if Watkins is not great technically, he offers a lot off the ball which was missing up top second half.

I keep thinking Watkins could offer something up top for the reasons you've said. Hasn't really been given a chance to show if he can score if given the service 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

No I don’t think so, you need a range of skills and attributes. 

If Fam is good enough back up to Afobe then we don't have a problem. 

But I'm thinking with the players we have and the way LJ likes to play, Fam might not be good enough. Which means what he offers is not what we need.

4 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

I didn’t appreciate just how many OOC strikers there are............I always thought that along with creative midfielders, strikers are hard to come by.

I guess it depends on their Championship or higher experience in the game.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Abridged edition;

Were Fecked..

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

But I'm thinking with the players we have and the way LJ likes to play, Fam might not be good enough. Which means what he offers is not what we need.

We need a range of skills in the forward line - Nakhi Wells is more similar to Semyedo and Afobe than Diedhiou. The same gameplan won't work each match and sometimes there will be games - ie Stoke - where Diedhiou will be our best option.

15 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

It's been staring us in the face... Paul Heffernan! At 37, he's the experienced campaigner we've been crying out for!

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Wow, loads of big names there.

Though because I've heard of them they are probably mid thirties and slowed down.

1 minute ago, mozo said:

It's been staring us in the face... Paul Heffernan! At 37, he's the experienced campaigner we've been crying out for!

Can't believe he's only 37! Haven't heard his name for years. I remember him being seen as a really promising signing at the time.

1 hour ago, swanker said:

Play players who score goals! Marley Watkins, are you having a laugh?

He won't score goals if he isn't given the chance, I'm not saying he's the answer but let's at least give him the chance before knocking him. LJ must have thought there was something he had to offer, maybe LJ has given up on him.

14 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Agree. Its obvious from the few games Afobe played that he offered so much more and it allowed Palmer to do what he does best and pick out a runner with a defence splitting pass. That's not going to happen with a striker who has little pace and movement. The only way I can think of maybe getting the best out of Diedhiou is playing Eliasson and getting balls whipped in.? But even then it would require some movement from him to get across defenders. But then I can't see Johnson playing Eliasson and Palmer in the same team often 

2 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Wow, loads of big names there.

Though because I've heard of them they are probably mid thirties and slowed down.

There's a couple on there that are a fair bit older than their 'football ages' too!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mozo said:

Though I do wonder when you come off that list.

Paul last had a professional contract at some Scottish club in 2016/17 so he hasn't played professionally for over two seasons.

Is he still going to be on that list when he's sixty?

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Can't believe he's only 37! Haven't heard his name for years. I remember him being seen as a really promising signing at the time.

I remember being really excited about him, thinking he'd be the poacher we needed. 

Oh Jon Dolman be positive Afobe is not the only player LJ has in his arsenal. I’m new to this forum and I think you should be a bit more positive . Look positive we have a great start to the season.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, City oz said:

Oh Jon Dolman be positive Afobe is not the only player LJ has in his arsenal. I’m new to this forum and I think you should be a bit more positive . Look positive we have a great start to the season.

I am positive, but we haven't got much of a forward line now. Still think LJ might come up with something to sort this problem. But no obvious answers.

12 minutes ago, City oz said:

As gutting a loss as Afobe is, we've got to 'move on' as quickly as possible. The reality is, yes he had a good start here (so did Weimann...) but personally feel it's probably unhelpful to live in this "with Afobe we could have..." and "with Afobe we would have...." world that i've read around the forum. I appreciate it's still early days though with the wound fresh.

Afobe is out for now, full stop.

We have to remain positive, we're not a one man team, we've had a solid start to the season and the fact is we have enough in our squad to be in a good position still come January, when the window re-opens and we can potentially add fire the power to finish the season strongly.

The season is only just beginning, far from over just because we've lost Afobe. 

Edited by Alessandro
  • Like 1

Palmer behind Weimann worth a real go now IMO.

Or perhaps Palmer and O'Dowda in a 4-3-3/4-3-2-1 hybrid- when Nagy fit again he can slot in centrally with Brownhill and Massengo- Nagy alongside them in a '3' can also help to free up the other 2, give them a bit more license.

Variant on that maybe Eliasson for O'Dowda in some games, something like:

Brownhill Nagy Massengo Eliasson

Palmer

Weimann

A highly fluid 4-4-1-1.

Think options are there but LJ needs to change it now Afobe unavailable.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

As gutting a loss as Afobe is, we've got to 'move on' as quickly as possible. The reality is, yes he had a good start here (so did Weimann...) but personally feel it's probably unhelpful to live in this "with Afobe we could have..." and "with Afobe we would have...." world that i've read around the forum. I appreciate it's still early days though with the wound fresh.

Afobe is out for now, full stop.

We have to remain positive, we're not a one man team, we've had a solid start to the season and the fact is we have enough in our squad to be in a good position still come January, when the window re-opens and we can potentially add fire the power to finish the season strongly.

The season is only just beginning, far from over just because we've lost Afobe. 

The question now is, where do the goals come from, and how does our attack work cohesively with the rest of the team?

I wonder how many of the out of contract strikers are financially secure and are not bothered on what they get paid to a certain degree. They know that they aren't going to earn what they used to, but maybe some still have the billy big bollocks ideas and won't play unless they get a good wedge.

On the other hand you may have some of them that are quite happy to take a massive drop on what they used to get, because they just want to play football and prolong their career like Ash Williams.

Could be an interesting few weeks ahead!

2 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I wonder how many of the out of contract strikers are financially secure and are not bothered on what they get paid to a certain degree. They know that they aren't going to earn what they used to, but maybe some still have the billy big bollocks ideas and won't play unless they get a good wedge.

On the other hand you may have some of them that are quite happy to take a massive drop on what they used to get, because they just want to play football and prolong their career like Ash Williams.

Could be an interesting few weeks ahead!

You'd hope they'll be motivated by the last chance saloon scenario. 

16 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Palmer behind Weimann worth a real go now IMO.

Or perhaps Palmer and O'Dowda in a 4-3-3/4-3-2-1 hybrid- when Nagy fit again he can slot in centrally with Brownhill and Massengo- Nagy alongside them in a '3' can also help to free up the other 2, give them a bit more license.

Variant on that maybe Eliasson for O'Dowda in some games, something like:

Brownhill Nagy Massengo Eliasson

Palmer

Weimann

A highly fluid 4-4-1-1.

Think options are there but LJ needs to change it now Afobe unavailable.

I wonder about Weimann up there on his own. Palmer won't get in the box much and interchange as he hasn't the movement or work rate. Weimann will chase everywhere and we will at times have no one in the box. Also Weimann is quite lightweight. He was so perfect for Afobe, who was the physical presence up there.

Agree with Alessandro. Be positive. One player out even though he is quality does not mean a melt down. LJ gets paid the big bucks and his experience and mind set would already have a plan / s in place. If Afobe was that good why was he put out on loan in the first place. I looked at Sir Geoff list and not one of them would make the cut. LJ and his management team would have looked at possible options. The speed of Palmer being supplied off of Weimann maybe a good combo. 

Gees one player out and most are already reaching for the tissue box.

3 minutes ago, City oz said:

Agree with Alessandro. Be positive. One player out even though he is quality does not mean a melt down. LJ gets paid the big bucks and his experience and mind set would already have a plan / s in place. If Afobe was that good why was he put out on loan in the first place. I looked at Sir Geoff list and not one of them would make the cut. LJ and his management team would have looked at possible options. The speed of Palmer being supplied off of Weimann maybe a good combo. 

Because Stoke are a mess of a club who are making many bad decisions.

I don't see much negativity on this thread. We lost our most important player for the season. No obvious way of carrying on like we were when he was fit. It's a problem worth discussing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, City oz said:

Actually we've got about 5 of our best players injured, not one. 

And the striker problem has been discussed on this forum for the past 18 months. Our solution has been taken away so the problem returns. 

I like your positivity, but blind faith ain't my style. We need to be optimistic realists.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I wonder about Weimann up there on his own. Palmer won't get in the box much and interchange as he hasn't the movement or work rate. Weimann will chase everywhere and we will at times have no one in the box. Also Weimann is quite lightweight. He was so perfect for Afobe, who was the physical presence up there.

Give him (Palmer) a freeish role yet with a strong brief to support Weimann. Weimann should be briefed to stay more central, yet at times will drift further along the front line. O'Dowda able to stay wider at times and come inside at others would also give the defence something to think about.

Palmer-Weimann on paper can be like Paterson-Reid IMO. Just have a feeling we're not quite getting the balance right but in mitigation the injuries are ridiculous.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mozo said:

The question now is, where do the goals come from, and how does our attack work cohesively with the rest of the team?

Well, we've scored 13 goals in the league this season, Afobe had 3 of them. So they are coming from elsewhere....

For now, we rally around Fam and find ways of getting the likes of Weimann, Palmer, COD, Brownhill etc into more goal scoring positions. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

Actually we've got about 5 of our best players injured, not one. 

And the striker problem has been discussed on this forum for the past 18 months. Our solution has been taken away so the problem returns. 

I like your positivity, but blind faith ain't my style. We need to be optimistic realists.

Yep. What's the point in being positive about something we are struggling to find a positive about.

It's different with goalie, centre backs or midfield. Bentley injured no major problem we have Maenpaa. Kalas injured no major problem we have Williams. Nagy injured no major problem we have Massengo. Afobe injured, major problem we have Fam who can't do most things Afobe can.

• Like 1