IGNORED

Best Jobs for 16/17 year old?

Bobby200

Hi, feels weird to be posting and not just reading.

Anyway, I’ve not too recently started sixth form and have decided that I now feel settled enough to maybe start looking for a job. I’ve tried a few places near where I live( just small places around Lockleaze) but haven’t found anything yet so was wondering what peiple may recommend trying that flexible as I’d want to try and fit it around sixth form. Thanks in advance for anything!

I dont live in Bristol anymore so can't recommend any particular company but some general advice if you like.

Just get yourself in somewhere/anywhere and take it from there. The first thing to get under your belt is experience, then other opportunities will come easier. Preferably an apprenticeship or similar but any work experience will help you decide what you'd like to do even if it's part time.

You'll probably start with the worst job but don't moan, knuckle down and you'll soon move on if it's the right company. Experience with a good reference is as good as an extra exam

Talk to the more experienced and sensible colleagues about all things work based, wages, pensions, how to get on with the boss, how to impress the boss, this advice will prove to be more useful than a lot of what you're taught at school. I still remember advice given to me by senior colleagues when I was 16, nearly 40 years ago.

Be confident but not cocky and you'll get on fine. Find a job you enjoy and you've cracked a big part of life.

Good luck 

49 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I dont live in Bristol anymore so can't recommend any particular company but some general advice if you like.

Just get yourself in somewhere/anywhere and take it from there. The first thing to get under your belt is experience, then other opportunities will come easier. Preferably an apprenticeship or similar but any work experience will help you decide what you'd like to do even if it's part time.

You'll probably start with the worst job but don't moan, knuckle down and you'll soon move on if it's the right company. Experience with a good reference is as good as an extra exam

Talk to the more experienced and sensible colleagues about all things work based, wages, pensions, how to get on with the boss, how to impress the boss, this advice will prove to be more useful than a lot of what you're taught at school. I still remember advice given to me by senior colleagues when I was 16, nearly 40 years ago.

Be confident but not cocky and you'll get on fine. Find a job you enjoy and you've cracked a big part of life.

Good luck 

Thanks very much, I’m hoping to probably go into medicine in the future, but if I find something I enjoy that might change of course. 

Im willing to do just about anything really.

Thanks again for the reply, it’s really useful hearing what other people think.

Good advice from @ralphindevon. Basically don't overthink it or be too fussy - at your age it's all about experiences. They all provide something even if "character building"!

When I was a youth I used to work in St Nicolas Market on a fruit and veg stall. Nothing related to my eventual career but I loved it and never has my mental arithmetic been as good as then.

21 minutes ago, Reigate Red said:

Good advice from @ralphindevon. Basically don't overthink it or be too fussy - at your age it's all about experiences. They all provide something even if "character building"!

When I was a youth I used to work in St Nicolas Market on a fruit and veg stall. Nothing related to my eventual career but I loved it and never has my mental arithmetic been as good as then.

Haha, bet you had to be quick! I’ve applied to loads of different things and think I’m willing to do anything (except cleaning that peculiar garbage patch visited by around 20 people every couple weeks)

I did it for a few years when I was younger and it's not as glamorous as it might seem from the outside but a cinema isn't a bad idea. I've no idea of the pay anymore but the reason I mention it is because of the hours. They're open late every day of the week so you'll have plenty of hours to work.

My lad worked at b and q for his first year of uni. Started off doing evening shifts but was able to pick up overtime working around his studies. He really enjoyed it, they treated him well and the pay was good. Best bit for me though was the 20% staff discount ?

Good luck Bobby

Can't really add much to what others have said. Just really to add that, especially if it's just something to make you a bit of extra cash around college, apply for anything and everything and see what happens. Realistically at 16/17, you're not going to find your dream job but that doesn't really matter.. Obviously shop work and bar or restaurant work are the two obvious things but there are other things around too. I worked in Boots for a year, which I hated, and then got a job working for Royal Mail where I looked at a computer screen and typed in postcodes to sort any letters that Royal Mail's systems could not read. It was quite repetitive but you could listen to music whilst you worked and you end up with a surprisingly good grasp of UK geography.

Realistically, whatever you end up getting will frustrate you at times. And there will be points where you are being told what to do by people who are very confident they know better than you, which has never been something that I've never been particularly well suited to. Sometimes they'll be right and sometimes they'll be wrong but, even if you're doing something in a completely different sector to where you want to work that drives you up the wall, you'll learn a lot from the people you work with and people you come across, even the people you hate. Twenty years from working as a teenager, I now manage people myself and there is so much I learned from those first jobs that has set me in good stead now, even if it's what not to do and how not to treat people. Good luck with whatever you do - you will get a lot of out of it. 

Working in a super market was great. I was a bit older than yourself but we employees 16 &17 year olds in the evening for the tills.

It really helps with your confidence to talk to people and definitely brought me out of my shell.

Also, you meet loads of people and the available shifts are normally quite regular.

21 hours ago, Bobby200 said:

Thanks very much, I’m hoping to probably go into medicine in the future, but if I find something I enjoy that might change of course. 

Im willing to do just about anything really.

Thanks again for the reply, it’s really useful hearing what other people think.

Pretty much what Ralph said,just be respectful and hard working at whatever job you get mate and you  will do well,best of luck 

@Bobby200 We are moving into the time of year when temporary jobs in retail start to increase in the run -in to Christmas.

My lad got in at M&S in a temporary role couple of years back then was made permanent i.e. Not full-time as he was in sixth form but permanent set shifts that fitted well around his studying.

Well paid and good benefits. You can apply on-line and if you get through that you will be interviewed and offered a role when one becomes available. 

You might not be able to afford to do this but if you can do then working for free in an industry that you want to end up in can be hugely advantageous. Even if you work say 10 hours a week in Primark and then 3 hours a week for free in your chosen future industry would be good. 

It does depend on what you want to end up doing though. Some industries where it will offer little or no advantages. Some where it would offer loads 

On 22/09/2019 at 15:48, Bobby200 said:

Hi, feels weird to be posting and not just reading.

Anyway, I’ve not too recently started sixth form and have decided that I now feel settled enough to maybe start looking for a job. I’ve tried a few places near where I live( just small places around Lockleaze) but haven’t found anything yet so was wondering what peiple may recommend trying that flexible as I’d want to try and fit it around sixth form. Thanks in advance for anything!

How about a job at Ashton Gate on a match day? I've known a few walk straight into jobs down that are your age.

Archived