IGNORED

City fans 1-0 West Midlands Police

thatcham red

8 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Finally the arrogant, unlawful ***** have backed down

Not without giving those concerned another 4 years of stress first. Thats the worst bit for me. Close ranks and work against the truth. They should be imprisoned. 

Horrific that these people have jobs and represent us.

You can bet they settled out of court to protect their own jobs. Presumably a conviction would lead to dismissal and a loss of pension. Disingenuous at best. 

It's us that have backed down

Tbh Tommy, it's a pretty good outcome- WMP won't be doing this again I strongly suspect.

I too would have preferred to have seen them up in court answering for this but the legal costs could be great- it's not a perfect outcome, again I would inquire as to why it wasn't at least deemed to be a possible IoPC case for example, but it's not bad!

Those who did the work did a great job- it has to go down as a positive outcome surely.

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Tbh Tommy, it's a pretty good outcome- WMP won't be doing this again I strongly suspect.

I too would have preferred to have seen them up in court answering for this but the legal costs could be great- it's not a perfect outcome, again I would inquire as to why it wasn't at least deemed to be a possible IoPC case for example, but it's not bad!

Those who did the work did a great job- it has to go down as a positive outcome surely.

Looking at 5 figures easily for each legal team per day , and lout of touch with civil court costs but it will be in the thousands too

Frightening

You could easily look at total costs for a civil trial of well into six figures

2 minutes ago, thatcham red said:

Hi Tommy

The agreement is WMP pay costs. The legal advice provided to the individuals was to settle. The financial risk to each individual was considerable. I respect their decision.

Cheers

Stu

That in itself is a significant & substantial victory / achievement Stu

Nice one

8 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Looking at 5 figures easily for each legal team per day , and lout of touch with civil court costs but it will be in the thousands too

Frightening

You could easily look at total costs for a civil trial of well into six figures

Wow!

Yeah, think they did the right thing in the circs then.

WMP dragging out for so long- predictable but a disgrace, but wouldn't expect much better from them tbh- not just with football either- @Fordy62 notwithstanding obvs.

I guess it was hard to get a bigger financial backing. Football fans i general should be backing this but this but when it comes to money..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................The Supporters Trust & Club got more important things to deal with. 

1 minute ago, bristolcitysweden said:

I guess it was hard to get a bigger financial backing. Football fans i general should be backing this but this but when it comes to money..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................The Supporters Trust & Club got more important things to deal with. 

There was some in general- there was a fighting fund I believe of £1,600, some of which chipped in by fans of other clubs?

Agree overall though- if there had been a major fundraising by fans up and down the country- and any donation gratefully received- a full court case for this might have been feasible and set a precedent.

Talking of help.

Does anyone know if the club offered any assistance?

Reason I ask is that I seem to recall Sexstone in 2004 did just that- wrote to WMP that I found when looking back on it, for Walsall away.

A certain Head of Security might have been in a slightly tricky position though, at least on paper. :whistle2:

When I say the CLUB I don't include @JulieH in that who did an excellent, if the correct, thing.

I'm talking CEO, SLO and yes, said same Head of Security as a few possible examples.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Wow!

Yeah, think they did the right thing in the circs then.

WMP dragging out for so long- predictable but a disgrace, but wouldn't expect much better from them tbh- not just with football either- @Fordy62 notwithstanding obvs.

To give you some idea Mr P

I was set to take on an Official Organisation over the death on one of my parents 

I had done a lot of work and had a strong case

It wasn’t about money , but justice ,

But on taking counsel advice to take the case forward , as I suspected , I would have to have put everything I owned , including my house , ‘on the line’  ..... 

When taking on an organisation with significant financial funds its a very difficult game of poker 

I understand people disappointed that there wasn’t a trial to expose what had gone on but no result guaranteed and you’d be a very brave person amongst that ten , or as a group to spin the dice and risk probably , most of what you have , in front of a grumpy , and possibly ,  now , anti judge

Obviously don’t know the detailed facts but I’d suggest they’ve had a great result , and absolutely made the sensible decision 

1 minute ago, Gert Mare said:

Brilliant result. WMP must have mistaken those fans as supporters of the “Family Club”

While I appreciate the rivalry and jocularity and yeah intensity of it all, think this is bigger than football rivalry tbh.

Yeah we know their fans are worse but in terms of mistreatment by ELEMENTS of football police of fans and definitely seems more prevalent in certain forces- think it supersedes club rivalry.

Even them.

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

While I appreciate the rivalry and jocularity and yeah intensity of it all, think this is bigger than football rivalry tbh.

Yeah we know their fans are worse but in terms of mistreatment by ELEMENTS of football police of fans and definitely seems more prevalent in certain forces- think it supersedes club rivalry.

Even them.

I agree. The WMP have been way too heavy handed for a long time. Just a tongue in cheek gesture. Still, a great result! Let’s hope it puts an end to targeting the innocents, regardless of which club they support!

4 minutes ago, Gert Mare said:

I agree. The WMP have been way too heavy handed for a long time. Just a tongue in cheek gesture. Still, a great result! Let’s hope it puts an end to targeting the innocents. Regardless of which club they support!

Yeah, agreed.

Something good to come out of it- an end to the targeting of innocents, regardless of club is what we can now hope for. Based on an FSA Faircop Tweet, WMP probably won't be doing this one again.

Already posted, but worth restating.

Let us hope that this sticks! Plus that the lessons of this case are absorbed by other forces.

28 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Nothing will change. 99 percent of the officers a great people. The rest will not give a shit and they are the once that should be taught a hard lesson.  

99%? You're incredibly generous. 

Nowhere near 99% of the public are great people so I wouldn't expect any better of the police. 

3 hours ago, RedDave said:

£2k compensation I believe. 

Amounts varied. 

3 hours ago, phantom said:

May sound odd, but would I be correct in saying all 10 would have to agreed to take the settlement?

If say 1 didn't want to would the others had to go to court too?

I think, and certainly one or two that I know, would’ve been very keen to stuff the compensation and take it to court. 

The problem was, in terms of costs, these guys would’ve been putting their houses or their parents houses at risk. Was gonna be a very costly case if they didn’t win. 

The settlement was the best option for all, even though there was a desire from some to really go for it. 

Archived