IGNORED

City fans 1-0 West Midlands Police

thatcham red

9 minutes ago, Harry said:

Amounts varied. 

I think, and certainly one or two that I know, would’ve been very keen to stuff the compensation and take it to court. 

The problem was, in terms of costs, these guys would’ve been putting their houses or their parents houses at risk. Was gonna be a very costly case if they didn’t win. 

The settlement was the best option for all, even though there was a desire from some to really go for it. 

All the police needed to do was admit guilt from the off. 

Surely they could admit guilt on day one of the case without the need for huge legal bills. 

That would have been the honourable thing to do. 

I'm no legal expert but the police are making a mockery of true justice. 

38 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Nothing will change. 99 percent of the officers a great people. The rest will not give a shit and they are the once that should be taught a hard lesson.  

I disagree

as stated by the fsa everything has changed with regards to wmp policing of football.  The times we have visited since this incident you could see the changes were very apparent and credit should be given for that . 

17 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

That's good to hear. 

I've barely seen one where I live so difficult to comment. 

I don't have a problem with the police. They ask me if I have had a problem with them before though. Something I complain about as I don't consider myself to have a problem in that specific situation. 

1 hour ago, bristolcitysweden said:

I guess it was hard to get a bigger financial backing. Football fans i general should be backing this but this but when it comes to money..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................The Supporters Trust & Club got more important things to deal with. 

No, this is exactly the sort of thing we were set up for, believe me we didn’t want to let this go, hence why we’ve played the long game, knowing that in the end, given the evidence and witnesses we had, we would either have forced WMP to do as they have done and settle, knowing they would get a right rollicking in court, or have the 10 had their day in court and WMP lose and have to pay out far more than they have done now. 

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Talking of help.

Does anyone know if the club offered any assistance?

Reason I ask is that I seem to recall Sexstone in 2004 did just that- wrote to WMP that I found when looking back on it, for Walsall away.

A certain Head of Security might have been in a slightly tricky position though, at least on paper. :whistle2:

When I say the CLUB I don't include @JulieH in that who did an excellent, if the correct, thing.

I'm talking CEO, SLO and yes, said same Head of Security as a few possible examples.

Back when this originally happened, and Adam Baker was head of comms, he helped out lots with of publicity on the website and talking to club officials, have to say I’m pretty disappointed, given the victory here, and the fact some national news outlets have picked this story up, that the club haven’t joined in the celebrating a good news story today. Change of personnel hasn’t helped as they don’t get the context of history here. And yes, we did give them the heads up about the story. 

24 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Given Dave L wrote pieces on it in 2004 for Walsall 2004- believe @Dave L still on here- and Sexstone went into bat for the fans in 2004, the club response appears to have been markedly different (so far as I can see).

Is a shame.

On balance I think the Police do a great job of policing football, often in very difficult situations. However the behaviour of certain officers at Walsall in 2004 was inexcusable, and I was glad that Colin took up the fans case following complaints made by myself and other supporters (including a serving Police officer, just as in the recent case) following that game. Full marks to the SC&T for taking up the case this time, and for their vigilance in holding the WMP to account for what sounded like an excessive abuse of power. Julie H suggests elsewhere in this thread that this has led to a change in the way in which the WMP police football matches. Let's hope so anyway.

30 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

All the police needed to do was admit guilt from the off. 

Surely they could admit guilt on day one of the case without the need for huge legal bills. 

That would have been the honourable thing to do. 

I'm no legal expert but the police are making a mockery of true justice. 

They dragged it out until the very, very last minute before agreeing to settle. Didn’t want to admit they were in the wrong, so they were never going to hold their hands up early on sadly. They knew they were going to lose if it went to a court room and so they did the next best thing instead. 

4 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

They dragged out out until the very, very last minute before agreeing to settle. Didn’t want to admit they were in the wrong, so they were never going to hold their hands up early on sadly. 

And they have the audacity to get upset when suspects give them the runaround. 

For me, without a humble admission of guilt it proves they still cannot be trusted as a police force. 

12 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

No, this is exactly the sort of thing we were set up for, believe me we didn’t want to let this go, hence why we’ve played the long game, knowing that in the end, given the evidence and witnesses we had, we would either have forced WMP to do as they have done and settle, knowing they would get a right rollicking in court, or have the 10 had their day in court and WMP lose and have to pay out far more than they have done now. 

Back when this originally happened, and Adam Baker was head of comms, he helped out lots with of publicity on the website and talking to club officials, have to say I’m pretty disappointed, given the victory here, and the fact some national news outlets have picked this story up, that the club haven’t joined in the celebrating a good news story today. Change of personnel hasn’t helped as they don’t get the context of history here. And yes, we did give them the heads up about the story. 

Thanks for this- sounds like Beanhead, who is great, did strong work indeed on it.

The lack of help, or public help at least since seems pretty poor really- definitely feels like night and day,  between 2004 and now, Julie H and Beanhead notwithstanding.

11 minutes ago, Dave L said:

On balance I think the Police do a great job of policing football, often in very difficult situations. However the behaviour of certain officers at Walsall in 2004 was inexcusable, and I was glad that Colin took up the fans case following complaints made by myself and other supporters (including a serving Police officer, just as in the recent case) following that game. Full marks to the SC&T for taking up the case this time, and for their vigilance in holding the WMP to account for what sounded like an excessive abuse of power. Julie H suggests elsewhere in this thread that this has led to a change in the way in which the WMP police football matches. Let's hope so anyway.

2004 did sound dreadful- so did this.

SC&T, the 10 and indeed Julie H- full marks. FSA Faircop, their Tweet was encouraging.

Just a shame the club appear in the main not to have been so proactive now as set against 2004- you and Sexstone in particular.

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thanks for this- sounds like Beanhead, who is great, did strong work indeed on it.

The lack of help, or public help at least since seems pretty poor really- definitely feels like night and day,  between 2004 and now, Julie H and Beanhead notwithstanding.

2004 did sound dreadful- so did this.

SC&T, the 10 and indeed Julie H- full marks. FSA Faircop, their Tweet was encouraging.

Just a shame the club appear in the main not to have been so proactive now as set against 2004- you and Sexstone in particular.

"Just a shame the club appear in the main not to have been so proactive now as set against 2004- you and Sexstone in particular."  I didn't actually work for the Club in 2004, I was just a concerned fan.

5 minutes ago, Dave L said:

"Just a shame the club appear in the main not to have been so proactive now as set against 2004- you and Sexstone in particular."  I didn't actually work for the Club in 2004, I was just a concerned fan.

Ah, wasn't aware of that- thought you were SLO or did that come later?

Only joined this place in 2008. :thumbsup:

Anyway yeah, regardless- think the club responded better in 2004 than 2015 IMO- and you were a part of that, part of getting the message out there.

• Admin
1 hour ago, JulieH said:

I disagree

as stated by the fsa everything has changed with regards to wmp policing of football.  The times we have visited since this incident you could see the changes were very apparent and credit should be given for that . 

On a personal note I thought when we were up there a few weeks back that there was a noticable difference in the way they interacted in with us. 

Out of interest would WMP normally be expected to release a statement of any kind? 

48 minutes ago, phantom said:

On a personal note I thought when we were up there a few weeks back that there was a noticable difference in the way they interacted in with us. 

Out of interest would WMP normally be expected to release a statement of any kind? 

I would absolutely agree, a huge difference in policing style and it deserves a mention

With regards to whether they would be expected to comment I have no idea I am afraid , that would very much be down to the circumstances. 

10 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

Avon and Somerset backed them because they were so strong in their views that what went on that day was wrong and they believed and supported them. A&S were happy for them to go all the way to court if needed because of the events that occurred. WMP not so much for obvious reasons. 

At long last....

An example of PC correctness at its best! ?

34 minutes ago, JulieH said:

I would absolutely agree, a huge difference in policing style and it deserves a mention

With regards to whether they would be expected to comment I have no idea I am afraid , that would very much be down to the circumstances. 

We know the circumstances. They tried to wriggle out of the truth and they were exposed for it. 

They'll not be obliged to say a single word (as they make their own rules on that), will hope the story dies quickly and that'll be that. 

Listening to Sound of the City on catchup- Geoff Twentyman did read out the good news from yesterday, and a bit of background.

Think Dave Storr should make a statement or have one put up on the website, praising the good work of the BCST etc and condemning the actions of force who misused their power. :yes:

Dunno if you read this site but @Dave Storr  :sub:

• Admin
8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Listening to Sound of the City on catchup- Geoff Twentyman did read out the good news from yesterday, and a bit of background.

Think Dave Storr should make a statement or have one put up on the website, praising the good work of the BCST etc and condemning the force who misused it. :yes:

Dunno if you read this site but @Dave Storr :sub:

Agree, that is the only shame about all this, is that our club don't seem to be on board with it all

A statement really should have been prepared to come out the same time yesterday

28 minutes ago, phantom said:

Agree, that is the only shame about all this, is that our club don't seem to be on board with it all

A statement really should have been prepared to come out the same time yesterday

Notable contrast to Walsall- ironically 10 was the number affected then too- 15 years ago, which is a disappointment.

51 minutes ago, phantom said:

Sign of the times. 

It was more likely they'd be suspended from Aston Gate than receive support of any kind imo. 

This case was never tested in a Court of Law, perhaps if it was there might be a different outcome? It would be inconceivable if the ruling was set against WMP and would undermine their ability to police such occasions in a manner that would depend on the goodwill of majority of fans. 

The 'goodwill' of the fans to the Police is very much an issue anyway, and on here demonstrates a deep mistrust even hatred of Police, which is fueled by rhetoric by past bad experiences of foul play, and there is no (as as far as I can see) any viable reason that this should be so. It seems we have as a Nation become anti Police, and yet we are all safer for the job they undertake, and  receive no recognition of this, by football fans generally.

And even by some of their colleagues 

Of course there are always bad apples and mistakes made, as was Hillsborough and in our own experiences this event, but what I find a real worry is the attitude of many to undermine the authority Police  should have, we used to respect the uniform, but now it is a different matter.

Is it any wonder that recruitment is suffering and so many Police have problems doing there job and suffer with stress? My Grandfather was a Sgt Policeman at the Bridewell Bristol ,and he was given the respect his uniform and persona deserved , but then again he fought in the First World War, and Policed the streets of Bristol in the Second War, he would turn in his grave at Arnos Court if he could witness the present state we are in.

Many see it as a game to torment and abuse the cops, but not only Police,  all first responders are vunerable these days, from Fireman, to Ambulance crews, and even Nurses  and what is the common thread that joins all this together?

BOOZE!!

Archived