Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

thatcham red

City fans 1-0 West Midlands Police

One of those sadly all too rare cases where justice is finally done. Great news and a huge pat on the back for all those very determined people who refused to give up in the face of this shameful misuse of power. Very well done to all concerned.

• Like 1

Finally the arrogant, unlawful ***** have backed down. 

Not without giving those concerned another 4 years of stress first. Thats the worst bit for me. Close ranks and work against the truth. They should be imprisoned. 

Horrific that these people have jobs and represent us.

You can bet they settled out of court to protect their own jobs. Presumably a conviction would lead to dismissal and a loss of pension. Disingenuous at best. 

Edited by CotswoldRed
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Wasn't there but very happy to read of this.

:clap::clapping::clap:to all involved.

Hopefully this can now set a precedent- very happy for the good guys here.

@Red Army 75 They should surely by rights be referred to the IPCC- or if it has been replaced now, the IoPC. Hopefully they'll get a full inquiry, with no whitewashes etc.

@JulieH What is your understanding on cases such as this and referrals- or lack of?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Red Army 75 said:

Excellent news . What happens to the officers involved. Do they lose their jobs. Or do they carry on as they were . 

Doubt it. Probably comes out of their misuse of power budget and they "go again". 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hopefully police forces will take note of this. Just because your a football fan does not make you an football hooligan. Hopefully this will get the media attention it deserves.

Well done to the group who took this action and preserved with it. Hopefully the days of getting off a train at an away game or walking out of the ground, no longer video recorded for no reason. 

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

The fact a serving Avon & Somerset officer also backed it up- well done, whoever you are! Wouldn't always be the case I suspect.

Yes and to think one of our fans said we 'must trust the police' - perhaps its time for them to back down and apologuise.  I won't hold my breath. 

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

Well done to the Trust for pursuing this in an attempt to bring the WMP to heel. Seems like the WMP did all they could to drag out the proceedings............:cool2:

Having witnessed the behaviour of the WMP and being interviewed by two independent police inspectors in my home I had a particular interest in how it all turned out.

Good to see they’d backed down if only to avoid a court case.

There would have been a Police Commander in charge that day as there is at every match where the police are on duty  - I wonder  what internal disciplinary action that officer faced?.......I guess we’ll never know.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

There would have been a Police Commander in charge that day as there is at every match where the police are on duty  - I wonder  what internal disciplinary action that officer faced?.......I guess we’ll never know.

Pretty sure he retired shortly after the events, so nothing sadly. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TomF said:

Yes and to think one of our fans said we 'must trust the police' - perhaps its time for them to back down and apologuise.  I won't hold my breath. 

Indeed, not all police officers always get it right and you'd hope that the fan on here who said we should all blindly trust the police in every instance will now reconsider their view.

Clearly in this case even a serving officer from our own force thought that their WMP colleagues had got things wrong. Well done to that local officer, I say!

• Like 5
  • Robin 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The fact a serving Avon & Somerset officer also backed it up- well done, whoever you are! Wouldn't always be the case I suspect.

100000%

As above the poster @1bristolcitywho was accusing the fans of being in the wrong may now change his standing on the matter - I doubt it very much though as we should all just trust every police officer in the land. The amount of time it took to get to here shows the contempt West Midlands Police Force have for football fans in general.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

Wonder if WMP will now adopt 'immediately after Walsall away' in the play-offs tactics now, and every dropped cigarette butt and every muttered curse will be met with the full force of the law, or if they'll have learnt a valuable lesson  and decide that a more human approach to policing might serve them better going forward?

• Hmmm 1

35 minutes ago, Blagdon red said:

Indeed, not all police officers always get it right and you'd hope that the fan on here who said we should all blindly trust the police in every instance will now reconsider their view.

Clearly in this case even a serving officer from our own force thought that their WMP colleagues had got things wrong. Well done to that local officer, I say!

Yeah, good luck with that...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Undoubtedly good news but my one question is why not refuse the door-of-the-court settlement and hear it aired in public? 

Would guess £££ - not in terms of what each individual night receive, but costs might not be awarded if a reasonable settlement was made prior to taking up the courts time.

'Tis only a guess, mind.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Undoubtedly good news but my one question is why not refuse the door-of-the-court settlement and hear it aired in public? 

30 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Would guess £££ - not in terms of what each individual night receive, but costs might not be awarded if a reasonable settlement was made prior to taking up the courts time.

'Tis only a guess, mind.

That would've been great, but I think this sounds about right.

The cost and the time for all- would have been great to see this in court though, it may have set a precedent too but cannot blame anyone for taking the settlement and yeah the fact they settled is a vindication.

27 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

'Tis only a guess, mind.

One possibility of course but it’s a shame that the full extent of the WMP’s shameful behaviour was not heard in court and judgement handed down accordingly, creating a precedent 

oh. And happy birthday! 

Edited by CyderInACan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blagdon red said:

Not just "well done" but a massive thank you for what must have been a potentially career-threatening action.  That takes major cojones!!

I think we should get a song for him/her for the next game....

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Chivs said:

Not just "well done" but a massive thank you for what must have been a potentially career-threatening action.  That takes major cojones!!

I think we should get a song for him/her for the next game....

That is a good point-  career-threatening I don't know- but I certainly wonder whether they would've been leant on to "miss" the actions etc...

Risk of career being stalled perhaps.

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That is a good point-  career-threatening I don't know- but I certainly wonder whether they would've been leant on to "miss" the actions etc...

Avon and Somerset backed them because they were so strong in their views that what went on that day was wrong and they believed and supported them. A&S were happy for them to go all the way to court if needed because of the events that occurred. WMP not so much for obvious reasons. 

• Thanks 1

Well done to those that drove this :clap:

27 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

What would have been the alternative of course Mr P, ie in telling lies , would have,  if exposed been at best Embarrassing and a serious question of integrity and at worse being convicted for perverting the course of justice

So Heroic for telling the truth -  uhmmmmmmm     No

14 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

Avon and Somerset backed them because they were so strong in their views that what went on that day was wrong and they believed and supported them. A&S were happy for them to go all the way to court if needed because of the events that occurred. WMP not so much for obvious reasons. 

So you are stating Avon & Somerset Police , as an organisation , backed the supporters ?

Really ?

A link or some evidence of this would be great , and I’d be astounded if that was the case

The Force / Organisation ?

or one particular officer telling he truth as Blagdon & Co have suggested ?

Edited by BobBobSuperBob
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

So you are stating Avon & Somerset Police , as an organisation , backed the supporters ?

Really ?

A link or some evidence of this would be great , and I’d be astounded if that was the case

The Force / Organisation ?

or one particular officer telling he truth as Blagdon & Co have suggested ?

One officer who was in Birmingham on duty that day gave a statement backing the 10, they work for Avon and Somerset who supported the officers actions and were happy for the officer to go all the way to court if needed. I meant they supported their officer in their belief that WMP were wrong in what they did that day. Hope that clarifies what I meant. :) 

1 minute ago, Dollymarie said:

One officer gave a statement backing the 10, they work for Avon and Somerset who supported the officers actions and were happy for the officer to go all the way to court if needed. I meant they supported their officer in their belief that WMP were wrong in what they did that day. Hope that clarifies what I meant. :) 

Yes , so one officer

Avon & Somerset have absolutely zero say in whether that officer or any officer appears in a court 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Yes , so one officer

Avon & Somerset have absolutely zero say in whether that officer or any officer appears in a court 

But they could, presumably, have shown solidarity with WMP and not supported their own officer. Be fair.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Yes , so one officer

Yes, and that’s what I meant when I said what I said in the first post of mine that you quoted, “A&S backed them,” meaning the officer, not the 10 fans. Hope that clears things up. WMP would have preferred us not to have a serving officer on our side of the court case, and I actually feel that their evidence, given they were independent of any of the 10 fans, was pretty crucial in helping them win the court case. 

5 minutes ago, Leveller said:

But they could, presumably, have shown solidarity with WMP and not supported their own officer. Be fair.

What do you mean ‘not supported’ ?

He or she are clearly a witness and as a Police Officer has made a statement which I assume to be the truth

Thats actually their job and requirement .........

This is actual Law and procedure , and integrity , nothing to do with taking sides or ‘support’ ?

How did they ‘support’ him ?

Edited by BobBobSuperBob
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Wonder what a certain poster thinks of it this morning given their stance for the last year or so about it...

Hi @1bristolcity:sub:

I’d say it was a bit more than a ‘stance’ Mr P

Some Of the posts on the subject were beauts 

@1bristolcity ?

:whistle2:

:laughcont:

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

What do you mean ‘not supported’ ?

He or she are clearly a witness and as a Police Officer has made a statement which I assume to be the truth

Thats actually their job and requirement .........

This is actual Law and procedure , and integrity , nothing to do with taking sides or ‘support’ ?

How did they ‘support’ him ?

Are you naive? Usually coppers, stick by eachother. Even when they know they are in the wrong.

• Hmmm 1

19 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Are you naive? Usually coppers, stick by eachother. Even when they know they are in the wrong.

There’s a great deal of rivalry between different police forces. They regularly try to outdo each other.

45 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I’d say it was a bit more than a ‘stance’ Mr P

Some Of the posts on the subject were beauts 

@1bristolcity ?

:whistle2:

:laughcont:

That poster was very outspoken on the subject indeed BBSB.

Very Outspoken...and very wrong! :thumbsup:

Well done to all involved. 

Incredible to think that a number of these supporters were sat in a pub, engaging in friendly conversation with Birmingham fans whom they knew from England trips abroad, no trouble was likely, and yet the WMP accused them of being hooligans and a risk!! 

Truly unbelievable and I’m happy for those 10 that got a result. However, another 40 or so didn’t take the case forward due to potential costs if they lost, so a thought to those guys too. But massive well done for the perseverance of the 10 and the SCT support. Big win. 

• Like 2