IGNORED

City fans 1-0 West Midlands Police

thatcham red

Finally the arrogant, unlawful ***** have backed down. 

Not without giving those concerned another 4 years of stress first. Thats the worst bit for me. Close ranks and work against the truth. They should be imprisoned. 

Horrific that these people have jobs and represent us.

You can bet they settled out of court to protect their own jobs. Presumably a conviction would lead to dismissal and a loss of pension. Disingenuous at best. 

Wasn't there but very happy to read of this.

:clap::clapping::clap:to all involved.

Hopefully this can now set a precedent- very happy for the good guys here.

@Red Army 75 They should surely by rights be referred to the IPCC- or if it has been replaced now, the IoPC. Hopefully they'll get a full inquiry, with no whitewashes etc.

@JulieH What is your understanding on cases such as this and referrals- or lack of?

Hopefully police forces will take note of this. Just because your a football fan does not make you an football hooligan. Hopefully this will get the media attention it deserves.

Well done to the group who took this action and preserved with it. Hopefully the days of getting off a train at an away game or walking out of the ground, no longer video recorded for no reason. 

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

The fact a serving Avon & Somerset officer also backed it up- well done, whoever you are! Wouldn't always be the case I suspect.

Yes and to think one of our fans said we 'must trust the police' - perhaps its time for them to back down and apologuise.  I won't hold my breath. 

Well done to the Trust for pursuing this in an attempt to bring the WMP to heel. Seems like the WMP did all they could to drag out the proceedings............:cool2:

Having witnessed the behaviour of the WMP and being interviewed by two independent police inspectors in my home I had a particular interest in how it all turned out.

Good to see they’d backed down if only to avoid a court case.

There would have been a Police Commander in charge that day as there is at every match where the police are on duty  - I wonder  what internal disciplinary action that officer faced?.......I guess we’ll never know.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

There would have been a Police Commander in charge that day as there is at every match where the police are on duty  - I wonder  what internal disciplinary action that officer faced?.......I guess we’ll never know.

Pretty sure he retired shortly after the events, so nothing sadly. 

• SC&T Board Members
2 minutes ago, TomF said:

Yes and to think one of our fans said we 'must trust the police' - perhaps its time for them to back down and apologuise.  I won't hold my breath. 

Indeed, not all police officers always get it right and you'd hope that the fan on here who said we should all blindly trust the police in every instance will now reconsider their view.

Clearly in this case even a serving officer from our own force thought that their WMP colleagues had got things wrong. Well done to that local officer, I say!

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The fact a serving Avon & Somerset officer also backed it up- well done, whoever you are! Wouldn't always be the case I suspect.

100000%

As above the poster @1bristolcitywho was accusing the fans of being in the wrong may now change his standing on the matter - I doubt it very much though as we should all just trust every police officer in the land. The amount of time it took to get to here shows the contempt West Midlands Police Force have for football fans in general.

Wonder if WMP will now adopt 'immediately after Walsall away' in the play-offs tactics now, and every dropped cigarette butt and every muttered curse will be met with the full force of the law, or if they'll have learnt a valuable lesson  and decide that a more human approach to policing might serve them better going forward?

35 minutes ago, Blagdon red said:

Indeed, not all police officers always get it right and you'd hope that the fan on here who said we should all blindly trust the police in every instance will now reconsider their view.

Clearly in this case even a serving officer from our own force thought that their WMP colleagues had got things wrong. Well done to that local officer, I say!

Yeah, good luck with that...

6 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Undoubtedly good news but my one question is why not refuse the door-of-the-court settlement and hear it aired in public? 

Would guess £££ - not in terms of what each individual night receive, but costs might not be awarded if a reasonable settlement was made prior to taking up the courts time.

'Tis only a guess, mind.

37 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Undoubtedly good news but my one question is why not refuse the door-of-the-court settlement and hear it aired in public? 

30 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Would guess £££ - not in terms of what each individual night receive, but costs might not be awarded if a reasonable settlement was made prior to taking up the courts time.

'Tis only a guess, mind.

That would've been great, but I think this sounds about right.

The cost and the time for all- would have been great to see this in court though, it may have set a precedent too but cannot blame anyone for taking the settlement and yeah the fact they settled is a vindication.

27 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

'Tis only a guess, mind.

One possibility of course but it’s a shame that the full extent of the WMP’s shameful behaviour was not heard in court and judgement handed down accordingly, creating a precedent 

oh. And happy birthday! 

1 hour ago, Blagdon red said:

Not just "well done" but a massive thank you for what must have been a potentially career-threatening action.  That takes major cojones!!

I think we should get a song for him/her for the next game....

5 minutes ago, Chivs said:

Not just "well done" but a massive thank you for what must have been a potentially career-threatening action.  That takes major cojones!!

I think we should get a song for him/her for the next game....

That is a good point-  career-threatening I don't know- but I certainly wonder whether they would've been leant on to "miss" the actions etc...

Risk of career being stalled perhaps.

Archived