IGNORED

LJ on 5live within the next hour (before 9pm)

Up The City!

46 minutes ago, RedJim said:

Love Wrighty. He's an Arsenal fan and you can see why he wanted Nketiah to go to Leeds - title favourites, big crowds, Bielsa... Sh*t happens!

I always thought IW was an Arsenal fan, but pretty sure I heard him admit over the summer he was Millwall??

8 minutes ago, RedRock said:

I thought Lee did well in response to Wright’s confession. 

Think it went over Wrighty’s head but slipping in a reference to ‘game time’ by LJ was both clever and well-delivered.

Bravo LJ and Wrighty is now off my Xmas card list. 

I picked up on that too. 

I think what LJ will take away from that interview is the perception people like Ian Wright have of us so that the next time we go for a loan player instead of someone like Wrighty writting us off, they will sing our praises instead, I'm sure LJ will do all he can to get Ian down to have a look around.

Just listening to LJ being interviewed on national radio fills me with pride in being a lifelong Bristol City fan.

I thought LJ was excellent throughout, confident and articulate and I could listen to him all day. 

He’s definitely moving up my favourite City managers list. 

39 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

He was being professional, but you can tell that the Nketiah saga still rankles a little bit with him, as well it might. Afobe getting injured won't have helped that.

I thought he was magnanimous and very gracious.   LJ always conducts himself well.   Very happy he's our coach. 

Be great to have Wrighty down.  Hopefully, a little feature on Football Focus about us.  May help secure the next rising star from Arsenal.

49 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Just listening to LJ being interviewed on national radio fills me with pride in being a lifelong Bristol City fan.

I thought LJ was excellent throughout, confident and articulate and I could listen to him all day. 

He’s definitely moving up my favourite City managers list. 

What about his old man??

9 hours ago, RedSkin said:

I thought he was magnanimous and very gracious.   LJ always conducts himself well.   Very happy he's our coach. 

Be great to have Wrighty down.  Hopefully, a little feature on Football Focus about us.  May help secure the next rising star from Arsenal.

If he does come down here he is the type of person to make a point about how far we've come as a club, and wouldn't surprise me if he pushed someone in the media to do some sort of feature on us - whatever happens it will be a huge positive for us as a club.

15 minutes ago, spudski said:

Would be good for Semenyo and Famara to chat with Wrighty.

I also think he'll have his eyes opened and realise how far we've moved on as a Club...both on and off the pitch.

Wright had much greater natural ability  than either Fam or AS but his advice on movement and how to lose defenders would help them both.

Several former top players that become pundits like Wright still unfortunately still see Bristol City as the same lower league outfit that we were when they were playing and I guess that until we reach the PL and stay there as per Burnley that’ll still be a factor. However top pundits like Wright firstly chatting with LJ on live national radio and secondly agreeing to to come and see ‘little ol Bristol City’ will have a surprising and very positive effect both on Wright himself and consequently that will raise our profile nationally.

Who knows, he may well start recommending Arsenal youngsters to join us................:cool2:

19 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Wright had much greater natural ability  than either Fam or AS but his advice on movement and how to lose defenders would help them both.

Several former top players that become pundits like Wright still unfortunately still see Bristol City as the same lower league outfit that we were when they were playing and I guess that until we reach the PL and stay there as per Burnley that’ll still be a factor. However top pundits like Wright firstly chatting with LJ on live national radio and secondly agreeing to to come and see ‘little ol Bristol City’ will have a surprising and very positive effect both on Wright himself and consequently that will raise our profile nationally.

Who knows, he may well start recommending Arsenal youngsters to join us................:cool2:

I actually think Wright is serious about coming down and visiting us. Whilst perceptions of us haven't changed, what we have done is make people like Ian Wright intrigued about what we have got going on down here, Bristol City are turning heads in the world of football.

People often moan about our position etc, but me, I remember the dark old days of the lower divisions, the cold nights playing in front of crowds of 6k Vs Colchester, to hear our manager on national radio, talking to Ian Wright, and him begging to come down and visit us is quite bizarre and shows how far we have come.

I want us to get to the Premier League, of course I do, however as long as we are in the Championship and competing then I am more than content.

Really good interview. LJ got as much out of that as he could and presented the club well. I don't mind admitting that I was sceptical when he was appointed, and sceptical of the ambition of the Lansdowns, but time has proved me wrong and the club is in a very good place. The continuity of leadership is paying dividends and interviews like that, presenting the club as aiming for long term and consistent improvement, do nothing but good. Changing perceptions is a long old game and the club leadership seems to be playing it well at the moment.

Ian Wright was an outstanding striker who came to the professional game at a late age, which i think makes him a really down to earth guy.  He has now turned into a brilliant commentator on the game and is always entertaining to watch and listen to.  It would be awesome if he came down and spent sometime with LJ and our strikers on the training pitch,  as he was quality.  Also it will allow him to see how much progress we have made, and how our structure and stadium are now geared up for the Premier League.  Hopefully it would also generate some publicity for us. which can only be a good thing.   Personally I forgive him for recommending Leeds to whats-is-name,and seeing as he's only getting 20 minutes here and there, perhaps he's regrettting his decision?.........cos' if he had come here......he would definitely have played a lot more?

25 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Ian Wright was an outstanding striker who came to the professional game at a late age, which i think makes him a really down to earth guy.  He has now turned into a brilliant commentator on the game and is always entertaining to watch and listen to.  It would be awesome if he came down and spent sometime with LJ and our strikers on the training pitch,  as he was quality.  Also it will allow him to see how much progress we have made, and how our structure and stadium are now geared up for the Premier League.  Hopefully it would also generate some publicity for us. which can only be a good thing.   Personally I forgive him for recommending Leeds to whats-is-name,and seeing as he's only getting 20 minutes here and there, perhaps he's NOT regrettting his decision?.........cos' if he had come here......he would definitely have played a lot more been injured and out for the season?

Slight correction for accuracy Max.

If we want to remain "under the radar" then Ian Wright is probably the last person we want coming down!  :) 

Seriously, while pundits like IW only see premier league or relate to "big" championship clubs or ex-premier league clubs, then this type of exposure can  only be a good thing. 

2 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

He didn't play. Injured. (We'd have won away - Ralph was on fire!)

So it was just Bright (and Pardew) but no Wright? That's how cup runs get going, I suppose

Just now, Moments of Pleasure said:

So it was just Bright (and Pardew; and Pembo! ) but no Wright? That's how cup runs get going, I suppose

Archived