Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Up The City!

LJ on 5live within the next hour (before 9pm)

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

FIFA play fair award just gone to the Leeds manager😂.

That surprises me, I would of thought he’d of won the ‘Bringing new innovation to scouting’ award. Maybe he’s going to walk away with a handful of awards & promotion before October? I’m sure the Premier League would love that.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Club and Country said:

So Ian Wright told nketiah to go Leeds(not sure if that’s new info but was from Wright himself)

Not surprising. Plus, if you know naff all about the Championship it's bound to be your default position. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In summary

- doing well considering the injuries 

- loan market is key to England national team

- tries to sign loan players that we might be able to get permanently 

- loan clubs presenting to bigger club about their intentions is nothing new

- invited Ian Wright down after he admitted he told Nketiah to go to Leeds

- When asked if he felt pressure to go up this season he said yes but pressure comes from himself and we are improving in all areas on and off the pitch. Sometimes feels like two steps forward and one steps back 

Edited by RedDave
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RedDave said:

In summary

- doing well considering the injuries 

- loan market is key to England national team

- tries to sign loan players that we might be able to get permanently 

- loan clubs presenting to bigger club

- invited Ian Wright down after he admitted he told Nketiah to go to Leeds

- When asked if he felt pressure to go up this season he said yes but pressure comes from himself and we are improving in all areas on and off the pitch. Sometimes feels like two steps forward and two steps back 

Good summary except one step back

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I don't like Ian Wright any more.

Wrighty is a breath of fresh air amongst boring serious pundits. I think he’s quality 

1 minute ago, Sir Geoff said:

Good summary except one step back

Cheers. I thought one and typed two!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Lee Johnson on Monday Night Club: Using the loan market, injuries and how Ian Wright told Nketiah to join Leeds

Lee Johnson appeared on Radio 5 Live’s Monday Night Club with Mark Chapman tonight. Here is a rough transcript of the interview #BristolCity:

Full interview here: http://theexiledrobin.org/2019/09/ian-wright-told-nketiah-to-join-leeds/

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Sorry Dave, probably being dense, what was meant by this?

Lee was asked if the loan market was important. I think the question was meant to mean important to him and the club but Lee answered it in a more general context. Said how key it was for the England team meaning young players getting games early and how Southgate has said young players at the top clubs don’t get enough minutes. 

Edited by RedDave
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, RedDave said:

In summary

- doing well considering the injuries 

- loan market is key to England national team

- tries to sign loan players that we might be able to get permanently 

- loan clubs presenting to bigger club about their intentions is nothing new

- invited Ian Wright down after he admitted he told Nketiah to go to Leeds

- When asked if he felt pressure to go up this season he said yes but pressure comes from himself and we are improving in all areas on and off the pitch. Sometimes feels like two steps forward and one steps back 

If it’s true he invited Wrighty down that is a touch of class - he obviously cares about external perceptions of our club and the set up behind the scenes ... and he wants to change opinions amongst potential advocates, I really like that ...

  • Like 11
  • Robin 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

If it’s true he invited Wrighty down that is a touch of class - he obviously cares about external perceptions of our club and the set up behind the scenes ... and he wants to change opinions amongst potential advocates, I really like that ...

It was more a jokey response to Wright saying he had told Nketiah he’d be best off joining Leeds. For a few seconds it could have got awkward but LJ laughed and said ‘i can see I’m going to have to get you down to Bristol’ or words to that affect 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

If it’s true he invited Wrighty down that is a touch of class - he obviously cares about external perceptions of our club and the set up behind the scenes ... and he wants to change opinions amongst potential advocates, I really like that ...

It’s certainly true and was mentioned more then once, got the impression it will probably happen aswell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RedDave said:

It was more a jokey response to Wright saying he had told Nketiah he’d be best off joining Leeds. For a few seconds it could have got awkward but LJ laughed and said ‘i can see I’m going to have to get you down to Bristol’ or words to that affect 

Oh, ok, in that case I take back all my sentiments! Cheers for the clarification RD ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Club and Country said:

It’s certainly true and was mentioned more then once, got the impression it will probably happen aswell

Fair enough, I didn’t listen in but RD (above) thinks LJ was joking ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

If it’s true he invited Wrighty down that is a touch of class - he obviously cares about external perceptions of our club and the set up behind the scenes ... and he wants to change opinions amongst potential advocates, I really like that ...

Spot on. Exactly what I thought. It's too easy sometimes to get angry when you hear that, but I think LJ did exactly the right thing. In this business it's not always about what you know, but who you know.

Can do no harm to improve perceptions of us off the pitch. Well done Lee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Fair enough, I didn’t listen in but RD (above) thinks LJ was joking ...

It was said a couple of times but in the same way you bump into an old school mate and you both say we really need to go for beers soon whilst both knowing you have no intention of doing it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RedDave said:

It was said a couple of times but in the same way you bump into an old school mate and you both say we really need to go for beers soon whilst both knowing you have no intention of doing it 

Good analogy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Lee did well in response to Wright’s confession. 

Think it went over Wrighty’s head but slipping in a reference to ‘game time’ by LJ was both clever and well-delivered.

Bravo LJ and Wrighty is now off my Xmas card list. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, RedJim said:

Love Wrighty. He's an Arsenal fan and you can see why he wanted Nketiah to go to Leeds - title favourites, big crowds, Bielsa... Sh*t happens!

I always thought IW was an Arsenal fan, but pretty sure I heard him admit over the summer he was Millwall??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RedRock said:

I thought Lee did well in response to Wright’s confession. 

Think it went over Wrighty’s head but slipping in a reference to ‘game time’ by LJ was both clever and well-delivered.

Bravo LJ and Wrighty is now off my Xmas card list. 

I picked up on that too. 

I think what LJ will take away from that interview is the perception people like Ian Wright have of us so that the next time we go for a loan player instead of someone like Wrighty writting us off, they will sing our praises instead, I'm sure LJ will do all he can to get Ian down to have a look around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just listening to LJ being interviewed on national radio fills me with pride in being a lifelong Bristol City fan.

I thought LJ was excellent throughout, confident and articulate and I could listen to him all day. 

He’s definitely moving up my favourite City managers list. 

  • Like 2
  • Robin 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

He was being professional, but you can tell that the Nketiah saga still rankles a little bit with him, as well it might. Afobe getting injured won't have helped that.

I thought he was magnanimous and very gracious.   LJ always conducts himself well.   Very happy he's our coach. 

Be great to have Wrighty down.  Hopefully, a little feature on Football Focus about us.  May help secure the next rising star from Arsenal.

Edited by RedSkin
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Just listening to LJ being interviewed on national radio fills me with pride in being a lifelong Bristol City fan.

I thought LJ was excellent throughout, confident and articulate and I could listen to him all day. 

He’s definitely moving up my favourite City managers list. 

What about his old man😂😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bristolmoose said:

What's wrong with calling us Bristol? This thread is full of mentions of Leeds - not their full name.

Leeds are a one club city, there’s two clubs in Bristol and I doubt anyone calls Manor Farm just Bristol...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, knewtropics said:

image.thumb.png.1ae49222d231c7d3861ac5c05fdbc1f1.png

Would be good for Semenyo and Famara to chat with Wrighty.

I also think he'll have his eyes opened and realise how far we've moved on as a Club...both on and off the pitch.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, RedSkin said:

I thought he was magnanimous and very gracious.   LJ always conducts himself well.   Very happy he's our coach. 

Be great to have Wrighty down.  Hopefully, a little feature on Football Focus about us.  May help secure the next rising star from Arsenal.

If he does come down here he is the type of person to make a point about how far we've come as a club, and wouldn't surprise me if he pushed someone in the media to do some sort of feature on us - whatever happens it will be a huge positive for us as a club.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, spudski said:

Would be good for Semenyo and Famara to chat with Wrighty.

I also think he'll have his eyes opened and realise how far we've moved on as a Club...both on and off the pitch.

Wright had much greater natural ability  than either Fam or AS but his advice on movement and how to lose defenders would help them both.

Several former top players that become pundits like Wright still unfortunately still see Bristol City as the same lower league outfit that we were when they were playing and I guess that until we reach the PL and stay there as per Burnley that’ll still be a factor. However top pundits like Wright firstly chatting with LJ on live national radio and secondly agreeing to to come and see ‘little ol Bristol City’ will have a surprising and very positive effect both on Wright himself and consequently that will raise our profile nationally.

Who knows, he may well start recommending Arsenal youngsters to join us................:cool2:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...and we did follow him back. Part of me thinks it would have been funny to ghost him though 🙊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

Bielsa what? 

Bielsabub has a devil put aside for me.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Wright had much greater natural ability  than either Fam or AS but his advice on movement and how to lose defenders would help them both.

Several former top players that become pundits like Wright still unfortunately still see Bristol City as the same lower league outfit that we were when they were playing and I guess that until we reach the PL and stay there as per Burnley that’ll still be a factor. However top pundits like Wright firstly chatting with LJ on live national radio and secondly agreeing to to come and see ‘little ol Bristol City’ will have a surprising and very positive effect both on Wright himself and consequently that will raise our profile nationally.

Who knows, he may well start recommending Arsenal youngsters to join us................:cool2:

I actually think Wright is serious about coming down and visiting us. Whilst perceptions of us haven't changed, what we have done is make people like Ian Wright intrigued about what we have got going on down here, Bristol City are turning heads in the world of football.

People often moan about our position etc, but me, I remember the dark old days of the lower divisions, the cold nights playing in front of crowds of 6k Vs Colchester, to hear our manager on national radio, talking to Ian Wright, and him begging to come down and visit us is quite bizarre and shows how far we have come.

I want us to get to the Premier League, of course I do, however as long as we are in the Championship and competing then I am more than content.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...