IGNORED

Getting the Championship right this time round

Robin1988

This might be obvious to some but reading a comment in the LJ interview thread about the ambition of the Lansdowns it got me thinking about where we are.

It wasn’t long ago that they were being criticised for us having barely moved forwards since SL came in, and though that was harsh considering the investment on and off the pitch, we hadn’t had a great deal to show for it in terms of other clubs, with smaller budgets, passing us by en route to the Premier League.

But then I thought, well, where are we now? A club with play-off ambitions who are starting to be taken seriously in the Championship. That’s ok after five years, but maybe unspectacular.

Then I looked at it in contrast with where we were after five years last time we were in the Championship... McInnes, his team of Scotsmen, and Martyn Woodford. Finishing 20th and only staying up in the last home game.

According to SoccerBase, our most regular team that season was:

James, McGivern, Nyatanga, Fontaine, Carey, Adomah, Elliott, Pearson, Kilkenny, Cisse, Maynard.

Compare that with the squad we’ve got today and where we’re already at and it feels like a totally different club. That may be totally obvious to some of you but... it made me feel proud.

2 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

This might be obvious to some but reading a comment in the LJ interview thread about the ambition of the Lansdowns it got me thinking about where we are.

It wasn’t long ago that they were being criticised for us having barely moved forwards since SL came in, and though that was harsh considering the investment on and off the pitch, we hadn’t had a great deal to show for it in terms of other clubs, with smaller budgets, passing us by en route to the Premier League.

But then I thought, well, where are we now? A club with play-off ambitions who are starting to be taken seriously in the Championship. That’s ok after five years, but maybe unspectacular.

Then I looked at it in contrast with where we were after five years last time we were in the Championship... McInnes, his team of Scotsmen, and Martyn Woodford. Finishing 20th and only staying up in the last home game.

James, McGivern, Nyatanga, Fontaine, Carey, Adomah, Elliott, Pearson, Kilkenny, Cisse, Maynard.

Compare that with the squad we’ve got today and where we’re already at and it feels like a totally different club. That may be totally obvious to some of you but... it made me feel proud.

I think we should also look where some of those clubs who ‘ by-passed ‘ us are now . 

5 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

The pre injury Maynard would be dynamite in this current team.

Only 2 of those players went on the bigger things - Albert to the prem and James to Strictly!

12 hours ago, Robin1988 said:

Decent post - but this myth about McInnes’ “team of Scotsmen” ? 

I remember Pearson and Foster were signed by Del and played a bit - but who else made up the ‘team of Scotsmen’?

Wilson hardly played at all and Kelly’s debut was two days before Del was sacked ... and there’s no way Jamie Mac and Louis Carey were ‘his’ players ...

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Decent post - but this myth about McInnes’ “team of Scotsmen” ? 

I remember Pearson and Foster were signed by Del and played a bit - but who else made up the ‘team of Scotsmen’?

Wilson hardly played at all and Kelly’s debut was two days before Del was sacked ... and there’s no way Jamie Mac and Louis Carey were ‘his’ players ...

Pearson, Foster, McManus, Wilson... Yes, only four, but all were dreadful and from speaking to people who were around the club at the time, all had bad attitudes and were on far more than they were worth.

The progress the club has made since the days of McGuinness can be credited to one person - Steve Lansdown. He’s not only financially supported the club but has employed the right people in senior positions namely Mark Ashton as CEO and Lee Johnson as Head Coach 

Both of them are aware of the stability and sustainability strategy imposed by SL and yet despite having to sell our better players  the club has still massively progressed since  both MA and SL have been in post.

LJ has finally built a squad deep and strong enough to seriously challenge in the Championship this season.  Currently  we have a number of injuries to cope with but apart from the loss Afobe the squad has enough quality to get thru. Imagine what a tough selection LJ will have when every injured player are fit again..........:cool2:

Archived