Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Robin1988

Getting the Championship right this time round

Recommended Posts

This might be obvious to some but reading a comment in the LJ interview thread about the ambition of the Lansdowns it got me thinking about where we are.

It wasn’t long ago that they were being criticised for us having barely moved forwards since SL came in, and though that was harsh considering the investment on and off the pitch, we hadn’t had a great deal to show for it in terms of other clubs, with smaller budgets, passing us by en route to the Premier League.

But then I thought, well, where are we now? A club with play-off ambitions who are starting to be taken seriously in the Championship. That’s ok after five years, but maybe unspectacular.

Then I looked at it in contrast with where we were after five years last time we were in the Championship... McInnes, his team of Scotsmen, and Martyn Woodford. Finishing 20th and only staying up in the last home game.

According to SoccerBase, our most regular team that season was:

James, McGivern, Nyatanga, Fontaine, Carey, Adomah, Elliott, Pearson, Kilkenny, Cisse, Maynard.

Compare that with the squad we’ve got today and where we’re already at and it feels like a totally different club. That may be totally obvious to some of you but... it made me feel proud.

  • Like 9
  • Robin 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

This might be obvious to some but reading a comment in the LJ interview thread about the ambition of the Lansdowns it got me thinking about where we are.

It wasn’t long ago that they were being criticised for us having barely moved forwards since SL came in, and though that was harsh considering the investment on and off the pitch, we hadn’t had a great deal to show for it in terms of other clubs, with smaller budgets, passing us by en route to the Premier League.

But then I thought, well, where are we now? A club with play-off ambitions who are starting to be taken seriously in the Championship. That’s ok after five years, but maybe unspectacular.

Then I looked at it in contrast with where we were after five years last time we were in the Championship... McInnes, his team of Scotsmen, and Martyn Woodford. Finishing 20th and only staying up in the last home game.

According to SoccerBase, our most regular team that season was:

James, McGivern, Nyatanga, Fontaine, Carey, Adomah, Elliott, Pearson, Kilkenny, Cisse, Maynard.

Compare that with the squad we’ve got today and where we’re already at and it feels like a totally different club. That may be totally obvious to some of you but... it made me feel proud.

I think we should also look where some of those clubs who ‘ by-passed ‘ us are now . 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

This might be obvious to some but reading a comment in the LJ interview thread about the ambition of the Lansdowns it got me thinking about where we are.

It wasn’t long ago that they were being criticised for us having barely moved forwards since SL came in, and though that was harsh considering the investment on and off the pitch, we hadn’t had a great deal to show for it in terms of other clubs, with smaller budgets, passing us by en route to the Premier League.

But then I thought, well, where are we now? A club with play-off ambitions who are starting to be taken seriously in the Championship. That’s ok after five years, but maybe unspectacular.

Then I looked at it in contrast with where we were after five years last time we were in the Championship... McInnes, his team of Scotsmen, and Martyn Woodford. Finishing 20th and only staying up in the last home game.

According to SoccerBase, our most regular team that season was:

James, McGivern, Nyatanga, Fontaine, Carey, Adomah, Elliott, Pearson, Kilkenny, Cisse, Maynard.

Compare that with the squad we’ve got today and where we’re already at and it feels like a totally different club. That may be totally obvious to some of you but... it made me feel proud.

The pre injury Maynard would be dynamite in this current team.

Only 2 of those players went on the bigger things - Albert to the prem and James to Strictly!

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought this thread might be a good place for this 

Some May Be Interested

Brief discussion between the very good v-Logger Benjamin Bloom And Kieran Maguire (‘Steve Hargreaves’ :facepalm:)

Ill try and find the original piece

 

Edited by BobBobSuperBob
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Robin1988 said:

This might be obvious to some but reading a comment in the LJ interview thread about the ambition of the Lansdowns it got me thinking about where we are.

It wasn’t long ago that they were being criticised for us having barely moved forwards since SL came in, and though that was harsh considering the investment on and off the pitch, we hadn’t had a great deal to show for it in terms of other clubs, with smaller budgets, passing us by en route to the Premier League.

But then I thought, well, where are we now? A club with play-off ambitions who are starting to be taken seriously in the Championship. That’s ok after five years, but maybe unspectacular.

Then I looked at it in contrast with where we were after five years last time we were in the Championship... McInnes, his team of Scotsmen, and Martyn Woodford. Finishing 20th and only staying up in the last home game.

According to SoccerBase, our most regular team that season was:

James, McGivern, Nyatanga, Fontaine, Carey, Adomah, Elliott, Pearson, Kilkenny, Cisse, Maynard.

Compare that with the squad we’ve got today and where we’re already at and it feels like a totally different club. That may be totally obvious to some of you but... it made me feel proud.

Decent post - but this myth about McInnes’ “team of Scotsmen” ? 

I remember Pearson and Foster were signed by Del and played a bit - but who else made up the ‘team of Scotsmen’?

Wilson hardly played at all and Kelly’s debut was two days before Del was sacked ... and there’s no way Jamie Mac and Louis Carey were ‘his’ players ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Decent post - but this myth about McInnes’ “team of Scotsmen” ? 

I remember Pearson and Foster were signed by Del and played a bit - but who else made up the ‘team of Scotsmen’?

Wilson hardly played at all and Kelly’s debut was two days before Del was sacked ... and there’s no way Jamie Mac and Louis Carey were ‘his’ players ...

Pearson, Foster, McManus, Wilson... Yes, only four, but all were dreadful and from speaking to people who were around the club at the time, all had bad attitudes and were on far more than they were worth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Robin1988 said:

Pearson, Foster, McManus, Wilson... Yes, only four, but all were dreadful and from speaking to people who were around the club at the time, all had bad attitudes and were on far more than they were worth.

Makes me shudder, just thinking about it. COYR 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The progress the club has made since the days of McGuinness can be credited to one person - Steve Lansdown. He’s not only financially supported the club but has employed the right people in senior positions namely Mark Ashton as CEO and Lee Johnson as Head Coach 

Both of them are aware of the stability and sustainability strategy imposed by SL and yet despite having to sell our better players  the club has still massively progressed since  both MA and SL have been in post.

LJ has finally built a squad deep and strong enough to seriously challenge in the Championship this season.  Currently  we have a number of injuries to cope with but apart from the loss Afobe the squad has enough quality to get thru. Imagine what a tough selection LJ will have when every injured player are fit again..........:cool2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...